hey, no big deal, fbi busts attempt to kidnap michigan gov and overthrow the government

hayden_horn

Hmm, I skimmed and I don't care to get into a CR shitfit, but here's generally how things have shaken out since March. 

Whitmer (Big Gretch) has erred heavily on the side of caution. The legislature is controlled by the opposite party and all along they have been wanting to err heavily on the side of, shall we say, Florida. Early on it was pretty fine, but she kept extending emergency orders, keeping certain businesses closed. What upset a lot of the, err, Florida, crowd - was that she didn't give any justification. No numbers, no metrics, just this is closed. People were angry because it was Spring and they didn't have shit to do and wanted to plant their gardens but because of her emergency orders, the big box stores couldn't sell stuff like seeds, only essentials. (this has pretty much become a meme here - I need muh seeds!) This led to the protests at the Capitol. Since then, as more came to light and people by and large eventually grew to understand and respect the science and the norms, things began to open up, but with heavier restrictions than, say....Florida (gyms at 25% capacity, masks required, etc). She has taken the brunt of the beating from the hillbilly types because she is a strong woman who really gave no fucks about appeasing the bitching and moaning, she just stuck to her guns.

Most recently the State supreme court ruled that the 1945 statute that she was issuing the emergency orders under, was unconstitutional without the approval of the legislature. Tough position for her to be in when the legislature wants people to "burn your mask".  But checks and balances. 

I don't live in the boonies, but there are vast areas of boonies in MI. Even in the Detroit burbs where I live I see the occasional pick up truck spray painted with "Impeach Gretch", etc. Just another unfortunate shit show in the hyper polarized world we live in. We need to figure out how to tone the polarization down. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Michigan sheriff friendly with some of the arrested kidnappers. And he says that perhaps their planned kidnapping actions were legal because citizens are allowed to arrest felons in certain conditions, and the sheriff hinted that the governors stay-at-home orders are illegal. At least he was condemned by the state sheriff association.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14/us/michigan-sheriff-militias/index.html

I figured this was some northern Michigan county far away from the larger Michigan cities. Nope. Next to Grand Rapids and east Lansing.

the sheriff is up for re-election next month.  But no one is running against him.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Michigan sheriff friendly with some of the arrested kidnappers. And he says that perhaps their planned kidnapping actions were legal because citizens are allowed to arrest felons in certain conditions, and the sheriff hinted that the governors stay-at-home orders are illegal. At least he was condemned by the state sheriff association.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14/us/michigan-sheriff-militias/index.html

I figured this was some northern Michigan county far away from the larger Michigan cities. Nope. Next to Grand Rapids and east Lansing.

the sheriff is up for re-election next month.  But no one is running against him.

Sigh. 

btw here is a pic of the sheriff on stage with one (guy in the middle) of the alleged kidnappers. to be clear, there isn't an allegation that the sheriff participated in the kidnapping but his statement make him sound sympathetic to it.  

The cnn story above also hits on the weird notion how these militias love themselves local sheriffs. They seem to think the sheriffs are the only authority for them, and they seemingly expect the sheriff to ultimately deputize them when the SHTF. For them the state and definitely federal authority is illegal.

201013151720-02-michigan-sheriff-kidnap-

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Would there have been a thread started under Obama if something similar happened?  Would there have been a thread started on the Surly BBS back in the mid 90s when the Republic of Texas group mixed it up with a bunch of cops and Texas Rangers?

Yeah of course there would have.

My freshman year at UT I knew one of those Republic of Texas types. He was an albino.

• Hook 'Em 1

If I gave their fellow Trump supports 20 guesses on What kinda vehicle they'd use to pull this off, after we'd exhausted every truck model ever made...

I like that they were gonna use one of the worst cars Detroit has ever put out to kidnap the person they blame for their economic woes.  Statistically speaking, a few of these guys have lost jobs in the auto industry in the last several years.  Mainly because they're psychotic dumbasses.  But seriously, a Chrysler PT Cruiser to kidnap the Michigan Governor because your life sucks?  That's some Jerry Lundegaard-Oldsmobile-Coen Brothers level shit right there.  

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Oh crap! Is this going to mark the comeback of the PT Cruiser?

It's no A-Team van that's for sure.64ea12a1a16b652f5729ae45e22ce3e8.jpg

Oh, these guys have Q-team written all over them.  

Or maybe X-team, because half these guys look like they got a bit of the 24th chromosome in them.  If you Trumpers don't take offense at how the President mocks people with disabilities, maybe at least take offense because he's also mocking your half-a-tard ass.  

34 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I don’t know a whole lot about guns or combat really. Is standing up straight behind a car door with a window a tactically smart move? Also it looks like their opening move was to fire through their own windshield. Seems genius to me, it’s not like the glass would spiderweb and ruin their line of sight or anything. 

• Haha 1

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Anyone who can identify that car as a PT  Cruiser based on one shot of the interior needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and ask themselves some difficult questions.

I don’t really agree. It’s universally known as one of the worst, ugliest pieces of shit to ever be put on the road. People PAID MONEY DOLLARS voluntarily to own this fucking thing. Truly mind bottling

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I don’t really agree. It’s universally known as one of the worst, ugliest pieces of shit to ever be put on the road. People PAID MONEY DOLLARS voluntarily to own this fucking thing. Truly mind bottling

Not only that: they we’re wildly popular when first introduced and Chrysler couldn’t keep up with the initial demand. Chevy actually made a knock off called the HH.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t know a whole lot about guns or combat really. Is standing up straight behind a car door with a window a tactically smart move? Also it looks like their opening move was to fire through their own windshield. Seems genius to me, it’s not like the glass would spiderweb and ruin their line of sight or anything. 

A hi speed rifle bullet will go through a regular car door like a hot knife through butter.  It offers virtually no protection.  And I’m not a gun guy, just had some country friends with old beaters we could use for target practice. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Not only that: they we’re wildly popular when first introduced and Chrysler couldn’t keep up with the initial demand. Chevy actually made a knock off called the HH.

Lolz forgot about that. I look at them as the vehicle of choice for pedos looking to save on gas (windowless panel vans are guzzlers). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Hmmm . . Kone is a Finnish elevator manufacturer.  Someone call their marketing department - they money they paid for "product placement in a soon to be released action movie" was wasted.

Edited by Bullneck

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Anyone who can identify that car as a PT  Cruiser based on one shot of the interior needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and ask themselves some difficult questions.

Well, the Chrysler logo on the steering wheel along with "PTCruiser" on the dash might have been clues.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1