More layoffs at ESPN

Parliament

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Great moments in sports history are made better by who is on the call. Our favorite moment "4th and 5, the national championship on the line" could have potentially felt lame if the announcer was shitty. But he was a broadcasting legend and his call is part of what makes that play special.

to be fair, jackson botched that call

his level of enthusiasm for the call was on par with vince shooting his dog

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Was a huge fan of Keith Jackson, but that night his homerism was on display throughout the game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That’s debatable.   The fact they kept someone who is even dumber than Alberts and Pollack in Desmond Howard is all you need to know why ESPN is in the situation they are in today.  Howard and his stupid pick for aggy last year for the college playoff should’ve been enough cause to shelve him.   Lol.  

Pollack and Howard are equally dumb. You can’t say Howard is dumb without including pollack.

Those folks complaining ESPN should stop being political are showing their idiocy as well. You’re trying too hard to slam something.

ESPN collapsed for one main reason really—the rise of mass media. Podcasts, YouTube, Twitter, etc meant you no longer needed to watch ESPN for breaking news, highlights, or interviews.

I thought I read that some of these personalities are being asked to take massive pay cuts to stay and most of them are declining that so they are being let go instead.

And yes, Corso should have been put out to pasture years ago. It’s just cringy.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

This is spot on.   I can’t watch five minutes of a game Beth Mowins calls.   And we all know why she will keep on calling games.  Another exhibit in ESPN’s downfall.  

Not espn, but fuck these two...

6v1wca.gif

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

1 hour ago, sdm said:

Was a huge fan of Keith Jackson, but that night his homerism was on display throughout the game.

I cannot swear to this, but I really really thought I remember reading a story on either HF, or Shaggy, where someone was on a cruise ship  and could only get live satellite TV from the direct ABC C-Band broadcast. So that was being shown at several of the ships bars. 

as described that meant they were watching the non-commerical direct from Cali live version of the announcers and their headsets, when they are talking to the producer during commercials, all comments being easily heard.

whoever it was claimed that they heard Keith, on several occasions, tell the Dan, the producers and the other USC fans working on the crew that USC were not looking very well (must have been in the 2nd quarter).  Along with severl other "not-nice" things Keith would say about Texas.

no idea if it was true or not.   unless someone remembers who made that post, because I sure as fuck dont and its been at least 15 years at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 3

If this is all about cost-cutting.....I'm pretty sure they could bring the lumberjack competitions and the world's strongest man competitions to primetime hours - those were probably fairly cheap compared to some of the on-air talent they just fired.  Hell, one or two of those personalities probably cost them more than putting those kinds of things in primetime slots.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

it's hilarious to me that people all over twitter are acting like espn getting rid of pollack is some horrible decision.  i've always thought the guy was a bland as bland can possibly be.  he's not as bad as desmond, but i don't get the outrage at all.

it was also super lame how he'd never partake in any of the local food brought to the gameday set.  i won't miss him at all.

• Hook 'Em 6

18 hours ago, satyanash said:

I am surprised they tossed McShay instead of Kiper. Kiper is singularly the worst evaluator I have ever seen. Case in point, him standing on the table for Will Levis all offseason as the second best QB in the draft.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

I am surprised they tossed McShay instead of Kiper. Kiper is singularly the worst evaluator I have ever seen. Case in point, him standing on the table for Will Levis all offseason as the second best QB in the draft.

I member mel simping for joey harrington.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I’d be curious his salary 

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

In contrast, I gained a great deal of respect for Fouts during the '05 and '06 broadcasts at the Rose Bowl.

Against Michigan, you could tell Fouts only knew Vince from highlights and cheat sheets and hadn't really watched him play. By the fourth quarter of the USC game, you could see that Fouts recognized Vince's greatness and knew that Vince was going to win.

"Never seen anybody like him in my LIFE."

"You can have the perfect defense called, you can force him out of the pocket, but you're not gonna beat him. In-VINCE-able!"

Dan knew what was up.

Fuck Jeff Fisher

• Hook 'Em 7

23 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Are there people who think Craig isn’t a good game day announcer?  His radio show is shit but I think he’s pretty damn good at calling games.  

He's a great PBP guy.  Even better at color.

Some folks around here don't realize how good we have it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

In contrast, I gained a great deal of respect for Fouts during the '05 and '06 broadcasts at the Rose Bowl.

Against Michigan, you could tell Fouts only knew Vince from highlights and cheat sheets and hadn't really watched him play. By the fourth quarter of the USC game, you could see that Fouts recognized Vince's greatness and knew that Vince was going to win.

"Never seen anybody like him in my LIFE."

"You can have the perfect defense called, you can force him out of the pocket, but you're not gonna beat him. In-VINCE-able!"

Dan knew what was up.

Dan Fouts was the fuckin' man both on the field and in the booth.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yes. An alltime tough guy.  The 80’s Chargers never won a ring, but DAMN they were fun to watch!

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yes. An alltime tough guy.  The 80’s Chargers never won a ring, but DAMN they were fun to watch!

Epic battles between Air Coryell and Madden's Raiders.  Oakland would bring hell at Fouts and he never flinched, took massive hits while still delivering perfect missiles to Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson and Kellen Winslow.  Tough guy indeed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Epic battles between Air Coryell and Madden's Raiders.  Oakland would bring hell at Fouts and he never flinched, took massive hits while still delivering perfect missiles to Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson and Kellen Winslow.  Tough guy indeed.

I know all those guys. I too am old.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Dan Fouts was the fuckin' man both on the field and in the booth.

I was a pharmaceutical rep in the early 2000’s with a guy that was Fouts’ Center when they played that “magical” game vs Miami. #56 Bob Rush. Of course he was a little older than me, but I loved buying him a beer in the evenings and just hearing his stories of the NFL.

He was a Memphis alum and went every weekend to do their radio show. This was early 2000’s.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 2

All you need to know about Disney is that it is throwing money at that clown McAfee and Desmond somehow continues to be employed. The latter Is an incompetent, unbridled buffoon who adds absolutely nothing but idiocy to Saturdays. The below pretty much summarizes his ineptness but his bottomless bag of stupidity goes way back to a detail analysis of DeSean Jackson matched up against Aaron Ross in the Holiday Bowl, Jevean Snead's transfer and McCoy's injury and how they could impact Cal's preparation for the game.  Except Cal was playing A&M.  

Imagine, somehow, confusing A&M with Texas.

Just an example. Makes total sense that the guy is still employed by ESPN.

image.png.3d7b3edecca0b71e9b44765c153a9e62.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2