Douche or Not, Guy Fieri is Cashing In

Wally Pryor

Guy Fieri, cable television’s so-called Mayor of Flavortown, recently signed a fresh contract with the Food Network for his popular Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and Guy’s Grocery Games. 

It will pay the celebrity chef $80 million over three years, a $50 million raise from his prior agreement. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloesorvino/2021/05/23/guy-fieris-newly-minted-deal-makes-him-one-of-cable-tvs-highest-paid-hosts/?sh=786681e1510f

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Douche or Not

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't care for his schtick

For me, he's kinda one of those guys that I should hate, I wanna call a douche, I kinda wanna not like his schtick...but he actually seems like a pretty cool guy. Like him better on DDD than GGG though.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I like him. If I saw a guy that looked like him out in the wild, with the backwards sunglasses and the rest of his get-up, yeah, I'd judge him as a douche. I feel like my odds of being correct would be pretty high, Fieri or not. Also that he was probably from Dallas. Anyway, I enjoy his work on Food Network, particularly DD&D. I've also heard the stories and read about his behaviors and it sounds like he's an all-round terrific dude, so more power to him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

For me, he's kinda one of those guys that I should hate, I wanna call a douche, I kinda wanna not like his schtick...but he actually seems like a pretty cool guy. Like him better on DDD than GGG though.

This. And he gets his chef buddies and their restaurants more exposure on his shows.  He did a lot of cooking for the firefighters in Cali during the wildfires too

• Hook 'Em 1

I enjoy his show, if for no other reason than he lets them tell their story, and make each one of those small business owners feel like a James Beard Award Winner by the time he leaves.  I don't mind his act.....it's certainly a lot more palatable than many pretentious food critics would be.  

There's something to be said for lifting those folks up and recognizing their hard work, whether I would love their food or not.  If you can make it more than a couple of years in that industry and have happy customers, that's an accomplishment worth noting, and he does a good job at it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've heard nothing but good things about him from people in the service industry. He was always known to be generous, but upped it during COVID.
  • Hook 'Em 1

His longest-running show Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, which has been on air since 2006, generated more than $230 million in 2020 ad revenue for the Food Network, according to data analytics firm Kantar.

That is a wild number.

If you took away his ridiculous look, and his penchant for using terms like "off the chain' 1,000 times a show, there would be no doubt that he's kick-ass.  All the comments above are dead-on.

He supports the industry like crazy, and puts his money where his mouth is.  He gives a lot of small, family-owned joints great exposure.  And they're often damned good (have eaten at several places featured on DDD).

He's a goofy, ridiculous looking bastard, who is a good guy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

dude tapped into something that appeals to a huge audience.  college educated folks like us watch it to see where to eat when we travel and the rest of the country probably dig his style and the shit he says that most of us roll our eyes about. as i said in the other thread i've been to close to 100 of the DDD places and over 90% have been really good.

Speaking of showing love for the industry and GGG, Fieri was a big supporter of an odd sort of Celebrity Chef/sort of entertainment figure, Carl Ruiz (started on the old O&A show and then was part of the crew when they split and Opie started doing...whatever that ended up being). Guy always showed up to support Carl's restaurants, give him a little bit of a hard time, and then have him on his own show. Pretty cool interactions if you've never seen. RIP Cuban, RIP...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

This. And he gets his chef buddies and their restaurants more exposure on his shows.  He did a lot of cooking for the firefighters in Cali during the wildfires too

Nothing better after a long day of fighting fires than some shrimp poppers and extreme fajitas. 

officespace.gif

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

i had no idea he was worth so much to food network.  he now makes more than jrue holiday and nikola vucevic and would be the #19 highest paid player in mlb.

Yeah well Jrue Holiday didn't come up with Donkey Sauce and has yet to take me to flavortown.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I have several friends who are, or were, travel bloggers. Many of them have gravitated toward a heavy focus on Food & Bev, because that's what gets the most clicks.

I watch all of these food shows/ travel food shows/ restaurant stops/ street food shows / cooking shows... with the same attitude, just waiting for:

CHEF: [Description of the food]

"PRESENTER": "Let's try it." 

PART I : REQUIRED ROUTINE
Action: Presenter bites the food/takes a sip of the drink,
* then starts chewing, then nods,
* then makes the "MMMmmm..." sound while nodding in an even more exaggerated manner,
* then looks at the CHEF and makes eye contact while nodding in the more exaggerated manner,
* swallows the food (unless it is absolutely awful and film cut is made BEFORE the swallow),
* then says something along the lines of- "That's amazing!" / "Wow!" / "That's the best [_____] I've ever had."

PART II : BONUS PRESENTATION (Actual added value)
Occasionally the "Presenter" actually adds to the segment by:
1) Breaking down how the ingredients of the food interact.
2) Describing the food in relation to a more common food in the land of their viewers.
3) Making an observation about how the food varies from region to region.
4) Offers suggestions of what the food would pair well with.

Guy's got the Part I down and does it just like everyone else, but he occasionally includes Part II, which I appreciate. I also like the episode when he went back to UNLV, where he attended culinary school, saw his old professor, sat in on an old classmate's class because he now teaches at UNLV, and tried the fare. I liked that touch of tipping his cap to his alma mater.

He needs to exercise a bit more if he wants to live to enjoy all of that cash he's now banking.

I've always been a fan of his.  My wife pretty much watches Food Network every night and his are the only shows I really enjoy.  I really like GGG more than DDD.  The Tournament of Champions show the least two years have been great.  It's amazing to watch those chefs pull off making the strangest ingredients into a delicacy.  When you add in the charity work he does, I'm pretty happy for him.

53 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Have never understood the disdain nor the perceived douchieness

I can accept that under all the schtick he's a good person who makes a positive impact...but for real? Not getting any pings on the douche meter here at all?

051614-BBB-GuyBaltimore.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I can accept that under all the schtick he's a good person who makes a positive impact...but for real? Not getting any pings on the douche meter here at all?

He looks like an Undercover Boss after the makeover. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

So he gets all jocked up for the show and galas.  Who gives a darn? 

We have all taken pics like that where we are clowning for the camera