Most Hated Modern Invention

Horn_Spanker

Assuming that wire coat hangers aren't sufficiently modern for the purpose of this discussion, I nominate printers, printer/scanners, printer/scanner/faxes, and everything else in that accursed family of frustrating motherfucking pieces of shit. 

And an honorable and hearty consolation Fuck You to Adobe Acrobat and the entire universe of needlessly "improving" MS Office products that periodically force users to learn new and different ways to do things that were already just fine as-is (or as-was...). 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Electric scooters 

It is completely mind bottling that in the hyper-litigious, risk adverse country we live in that companies are literally fighting to get people to ride these things helmetless on sidewalks and street in downtown areas(congested).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Assuming that wire coat hangers aren't sufficiently modern for the purpose of this discussion, I nominate printers, printer/scanners, printer/scanner/faxes, and everything else in that accursed family of frustrating motherfucking pieces of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

And an honorable and hearty consolation Fuck You to Adobe Acrobat and the entire universe of needlessly "improving" MS Office products that periodically force users to learn new and different ways to do things that were already just fine as-is (or as-was...). 

The fax machine. Before that, the movement of all REALLY important documents and actions took place at the speed of U.S. mail or private courier. Definitely true for anything that needed a signature. The fax machine introduced the concept of “just wait and we will get that to you shortly after 5.l

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Open-plan offices. Yeah, this is about creativity and not you being a cheapass who wants to always be watching over everyone...

Worst two years of my professional life....

Actually had to work more than 15 minutes a week huh ...

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Pagers.  It was all downhill from there

Noooooo. That was fun. The law firms I was a runner for in school would 911 me. I knew who to answer immediately and the other ones I would just call them from the pay phone at Abel’s like “what? I’m busy with 2 electric lemonades.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Facebook and Twitter have already been mentioned. Twitter at least has some benefits but only a tiny fraction of how it’s used.

I’ll go with the iPod and MP3’s. Millions of people sacrificed audio quality for convenience. Maintaining a turntable and a vinyl record collection is too much of a hassle but I’ll never stop listening to music on CD until there’s a convenient way to store my entire CD collection in a lossless format on a device that will fit in my pocket. That doesn’t exist yet. And when it does it needs to be able to connect to my home stereo, my car stereo, my boom box, and my computer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Car alarms. Most useless fucking invention of all time. 

The only douchebags who have them are the same people who set the sensitivity to Detect A Gnat's Fart and then leave in someone else's car so when the goddamn thing is set off by two squirrels fucking in a nearby tree the neighbors get to listen to the sirens and horns on a 5 minute repeat cycle for the next hour.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Man, I fucking hate the telephone!
But, got to have one.
90% of my incoming calls are spam.  Fucker rings all day.

"Watson, come here. I would like to talk to you about the extended warranty on your carriage."

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

All of the new safety features you have to disable on a new vehicle because people in the driver's seat want to do everything EXCEPT drive the fucking vehicle.

First time I was dodging a pothole in the road and that little motor thingy started affecting my steering( lane assist,) I pulled the fuck over and turned it off. So fucking stupid. and LOLz at the safety dissertation on the info monitors when you start the vehicle...and it stays on until you hit a button.  Completely misses the safety mission, eh?  Want me to read that shit once I'm going down the road?

Edited by slorch

21 hours ago, Rip76 said:

The "Auto engine shut off," in new cars.

I thought I would hate the fuck out of this.  But I really don't.  The only time it's intrusive is going slow in a parking lot.  My engine is a gerbil wheel though.  A 275hp/300ftlb 2L gerbil wheel.

• Hook 'Em 1