This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

3 hours ago, statsman said:

I was disappointed after 5-7, feeling that bowl eligibility had been possible, if Sark had made a couple different decisions. In retrospect, I have to admit to being wrong; since his decisions put us on this arc where we are in the playoffs in year3.  

List of coaches who turned things around in two years:

Stoops

Carroll

Meyer x 2

Tressel

Helfrich

Saban took three years to get to theBCS title game. 

Most of the above coaches inherited better talent on their rosters. 

I don’t know that we’re going that far this year, but we’re in the playoffs and this team’s success (unlike 2004-2009 Texas teams) isn’t based on the QB carrying the team. The foundation of this team looks very solid. 

Arguably, Sark is outperforming early years Mack. Can anyone make a counter argument?

I suspect that if Texas doesn’t want to pay him market salary, there are other programs that happily will. 

I also seem to remember Sark kicked ass in recruiting that offseason thanks to getting a head start not having to prepare for a bowl game. That recruiting he did over the offseason paid way more dividends than playing in a shitty bowl that season ever would have

• Hook 'Em 2

Washington over the last several years has been a fairly solid program but I’d argue that since DeBoer has been there m, he’s done a helluva job. His trajectory is interesting. Sioux Falls—-Fresno State—-Washington. I know they benefit a lot from having Penix and other players with experience but think he’s done a great job since he’s been there. This would be year two? They only played four games the Covid year and the next were 4-8 the year before he started coaching. 

Edited by Nicole44

I guess the question is, are we looking at something sustainable or a Jimbo flash in the pan.  If we think Sark can continue to deliver (gonna be harder to win the conference going forward... bigger conference and arguably tougher conference), we do whatever it takes.  If we think Sark is a good solid coach but most of our success comes from NIL, good batch of players, we're Texas, etc. (history shows that aint enough IMO), then be tight.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Someone should stroke a $100k check to Jimbo to just stand on the sidelines with headset on during the Texas v. aggie game next year.

Only if we get Jimbo Jr. with all the bling, and someone to bring the pimpstick they danced with in the UCLA game.  If you're in, go all in.

6 hours ago, butthurt said:

Sark side piping Screenshot_20231205_121330.thumb.jpg.474779bf54b867e1956f58371887f320.jpg

if i'd just won the conference championship i'd be side piping too.... (never heard that term before.... thx surly).

3 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Someone should stroke a $100k check to Jimbo to just stand on the sidelines with headset on during the Texas v. aggie game next year.

I legit laughed out loud. I'm guessing he'd do it for free. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/4/2023 at 10:47 PM, Slacks said:

In years, he's ahead of Mack by a lot. 

Mack made it so he can get there, though. 

Darrel Royal would like a word with you. But unlike Mack, he dead. But he won for us 3 real NCs. Actual, earned. Class act. Bowed out when the game (i. e. players) got too weird for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, I was wrong in shying away from a “giant” leap, but no one wanted to take my 10 win bet and they dismissed my optimism about the Alabama and Tech games. It was cool seeing people writing that Sarkisian didn’t inherit a shit culture  

Sarkisian did even better than I thought and earned my A/A+ on the season. 

Reading back on my position a year ago, I’d be fine defending everything I wrote about what I had seen from him. And I’d be glad to tell him he kicked even more ass than I was willing to predict. And that, on top of the wins, I’m proud of the way he’s representing my school off the field, as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Add...   AP's B12 Coach of the Year 

Let me see if I got this right. Sark is the AP's Big 12 coach of the year, but he is not the Big 12's Big 12 coach of the year? (That goes to Gundy.)

Edited by n64ra
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

If I were the AD, I would immediately sign him to a contract extension that pays him $78M if we fire him. The number could decrease somewhat each year but still be much higher than any other buyout. However, I would make sure the extension allows him to leave for any other job. I know this seems like poor financial management, and is unprecedented, but it demonstrates our commitment to our success. 

Edit: I’ve been hesitant to share this, but it’s really been bugging me that we didn’t present him w a future championship trophy at his opening press conference. We could have left the date blank. It would have been a beautiful gesture that would have been really respected by all the other schools. 

Shit, let’s just win a couple more games and give him one with the full date!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Question for the Board:

Penalties are often attributed to coaching.  In some ways, as when a player loses composure and gets an unsportsmanlike, I get it.

In other ways, like repeated false starts from OL and TE, I don't.

Like parents, I suppose, a coach whose players repeatedly misbehave is responsible.

Not sure I'm willing to attribute yips or dumbassery to coaches (or parents).

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

What an absolutely incredible season and job by Sarkisian. He proved me wrong in every manner and exceeded my every expectation for this program under his leadership. 

kudos to him for what he has accomplished.

Yesterday is going to sting for awhile but 2023 was a helluva ride.  Kudos to Coach.