Texas man charged with murder after shooting someone in a car outside his home. He told police it was self-defense

purplepride95

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

First of all, leaving your house in the middle of the night with a strange car in the driveway is terrible PerSec. Make sure your doors are locked, have your personal defense weapon handy, and like GOTJ said, TURN ON YOUR OUTSIDE LIGHTS. If the guy knows someone is awake and watching, the’ll likely leave. If not, call the cops. You walk out there in the dark, you don’t know how many people are in the car, or walking around your place. Odds are higher you’re the one that gets fucked up before you can even point your weapon at them. 

Counterpoint: seems like that would greatly reduce the chances of getting to kill somebody. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, crash_davis said:

The last thing I'm going to do with a stranger's car in my driveway is chase it down the street and shoot into it. That's a have gun, looking for reason to use it mentality.

Maybe he just wanted to have the best sex of his life afterwards?  

Edited by Nivek

Many years ago my friend and I went to visit his grandfather in Alice, Texas.  He told me in advance that his grandfather was getting a bit whacky/paranoid but that he was harmless. So we go and visit this guy, who was an old tool pusher who had retired after losing most of his hand after a chain slipped on a rig.  We went into his house and this man started showing us his gun collection and how/why he would use them. He had one under the cushions in his couch and he'd say "if they come in that window then I can just reach under here and pull out this pistol.  If they come in THAT window over there I can pull out this other pistol under the recliner."  Taking us through his house he showed us about nine different pistols (on top of the refrigerator, behind his bed, hidden behind the toilet paper in his bathroom closet etc...) and how he'd used them in various scenarios if "they"  came into his house.  After we left my friend said "I told you was getting kind of crazy."  And I remember thinking how sad it was that this elderly man was living in a paranoid hellscape that he'd invented for himself with absolutely no reason for doing so.  But it gave me a glimpse into the mind of somebody who I fear might be a bit more common than I thought. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Didn't we have someone on the old site who had a construction worker park in front of his house and the poster wanted to murder him? 

We had Dillo Pad, who called the police on the neighbor's flooring crew for parking on the street in front of his house, but I don't believe murder was mentioned.

• Like 1

We don't know the facts as I don't believe this accused since his most important statement about the guy being armed was proven to be false, based on sheriff statements.

IF the car was in the driveway, it is a weird scenario to wake up to see an unknown car in your driveway. It wouldn't surprise that many homeowners would investigate with a gun in-hand. I know people that are armed answering the door after a certain time of night.

I don't know what I would do if I woke up to someone in my driveway. I know I wouldn't shoot them since I don't own a gun. Would I approach the car. Would I call my neighborhood constable. I don't know. I wouldn't just go back to sleep, hoping they're gone by the morning.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, purplepride95 said:

Worse then I expected. This is Murder. I was expecting some long unpaved driveway off a country road.

I live on a cul de sac so this hits close to home. 

I think there’s a decent chance the dude was parked on the street right next to his driveway. 

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We don't know the facts as I don't believe this accused since his most important statement about the guy being armed was proven to be false, based on sheriff statements.

IF the car was in the driveway, it is a weird scenario to wake up to see an unknown car in your driveway. It wouldn't surprise that many homeowners would investigate with a gun in-hand. I know people that are armed answering the door after a certain time of night.

I don't know what I would do if I woke up to someone in my driveway. I know I wouldn't shoot them since I don't own a gun. Would I approach the car. Would I call my neighborhood constable. I don't know. I wouldn't just go back to sleep, hoping they're gone by the morning.

Investigating with gun in hand is valid response. Shooting into a fleeing car, lying by claiming the victim had a gun, and claiming fear for his life is bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Many years ago my friend and I went to visit his grandfather in Alice, Texas.  He told me in advance that his grandfather was getting a bit whacky/paranoid but that he was harmless. So we go and visit this guy, who was an old tool pusher who had retired after losing most of his hand after a chain slipped on a rig.  We went into his house and this man started showing us his gun collection and how/why he would use them. He had one under the cushions in his couch and he'd say "if they come in that window then I can just reach under here and pull out this pistol.  If they come in THAT window over there I can pull out this other pistol under the recliner."  Taking us through his house he showed us about nine different pistols (on top of the refrigerator, behind his bed, hidden behind the toilet paper in his bathroom closet etc...) and how he'd used them in various scenarios if "they"  came into his house.  After we left my friend said "I told you was getting kind of crazy."  And I remember thinking how sad it was that this elderly man was living in a paranoid hellscape that he'd invented for himself with absolutely no reason for doing so.  But it gave me a glimpse into the mind of somebody who I fear might be a bit more common than I thought. 

was this your friend's grandfather?

Jimmy Traina on Twitter: "Rudy Giuliani tonight is reminding me of Uncle  Junior after he lost his marbles and shot Tony.… "

• Like 1

i had one occasion to walk out of my house with a gun.

it was about 2am. i was living in a duplex by myself. my bedroom was facing the street. somebody, at fucking 2am knocked on my window. my bedroom window.

i got my 9mm, and went out the gate. i had two doors, probably 5 feet apart, separated by a fence, that sort of thing. backyard and front yard.

so i walked outside, holding the loaded gun behind my back, and looked over the fence. there was a guy there, wearing a stupid fucking hat, asking about somebody who was not me. he was supposed to give not me a ride. i told him that person was not me, and he shrugged, and fucked off. at no point did he even know i had my gun.

46 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

First of all, leaving your house in the middle of the night with a strange car in the driveway is terrible PerSec. Make sure your doors are locked, have your personal defense weapon handy, and like GOTJ said, TURN ON YOUR OUTSIDE LIGHTS. If the guy knows someone is awake and watching, the’ll likely leave. If not, call the cops. You walk out there in the dark, you don’t know how many people are in the car, or walking around your place. Odds are higher you’re the one that gets fucked up before you can even point your weapon at them. 

I was gonna say...

40 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Counterpoint: seems like that would greatly reduce the chances of getting to kill somebody. 

...but Blotto beat me to it.

11 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Have to say I'm a bit surprised that people think that approaching a car parked in your driveway with a gun in your hand in the middle of the night is a reasonable idea.

And a lot of this, but you gotta understand, we live in a country where millions of dipshit fancy themselves amateur "operators," and they have closets full of "tactical" gear, all the way down to "tactical underwear," so they are always ready to HOO-RAH GIT SOME!  As opposed to using common sense, and 1) staying inside your house and turning on your outside lights, 2) calling the cops, and 3) almost certainly -- like 99% of the time -- having an innocent person back out, because they don't want to make any trouble.

Nope.  We're all Billy Joe Badass with all the latest gear and itching to use it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Have to say I'm a bit surprised that people think that approaching a car parked in your driveway with a gun in your hand in the middle of the night is a reasonable idea.

In this scenario, I might approach a vehicle to a certain distance. I wouldn't assume the person in the car is there to harm anyone but I wouldn't want to get too close. Once again, I wouldn't have a gun in-hand since I don't have one.

EDIT: The Billy Joe Badass referenced by @Brisketexan never wants to recognize or admit that they could easily encounter someone outside that will take their gun away from them.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In this scenario, I might approach a vehicle to a certain distance. I wouldn't assume the person in the car is there to harm anyone but I wouldn't want to get too close. Once again, I wouldn't have a gun in-hand since I don't have one.

i actually would. but i wouldn't shoot. that's what i don't get. you want someone to fuck off out of your driveway, and they do fuck off out of your driveway? mission fucking accomplished. i'm not chasing them or shooting at them, and they likely would not even know i had my gun, because, and follow me here, aggression is met with aggression. you come out strapping to a guy who is strapped? guess what? you're in a fucking gun fight. not an optimal result.

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i actually would. but i wouldn't shoot. that's what i don't get. you want someone to fuck off out of your driveway, and they do fuck off out of your driveway? mission fucking accomplished. i'm not chasing them or shooting at them, and they likely would not even know i had my gun, because, and follow me here, aggression is met with aggression. you come out strapping to a guy who is strapped? guess what? you're in a fucking gun fight. not an optimal result.

Yep.  I pay $9k per year in property taxes so the police will show up on the one occasion in my life when I need them to show up.

26 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You don’t know all the guys surly’s got that’s gangsta

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

The shotgun was loaded and I was prepared to use it if necessary, but I thought the prudent choice was to not get into a gunfight with someone more experienced at killing people with a gun.  He was arrested and sent back to prison for violating the conditions of his parole.

How the fuck are you ever going to get experienced at killing people with an attitude like that?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

There is at least 1 surly-ster that talks about guns hidden around their house and a gun on their hip at all times. Never know when the home invasion is going to occur.

As you mention, I feel for someone that lives with paranoia about needing a gun within reach at all times. If the threat is real, it must be stressful to live in such a dangerous area. If it's more about unrealistic thoughts about attacks, they should seek mental health assistance.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Many years ago my friend and I went to visit his grandfather in Alice, Texas.  He told me in advance that his grandfather was getting a bit whacky/paranoid but that he was harmless. So we go and visit this guy, who was an old tool pusher who had retired after losing most of his hand after a chain slipped on a rig.  We went into his house and this man started showing us his gun collection and how/why he would use them. He had one under the cushions in his couch and he'd say "if they come in that window then I can just reach under here and pull out this pistol.  If they come in THAT window over there I can pull out this other pistol under the recliner."  Taking us through his house he showed us about nine different pistols (on top of the refrigerator, behind his bed, hidden behind the toilet paper in his bathroom closet etc...) and how he'd used them in various scenarios if "they"  came into his house.  After we left my friend said "I told you was getting kind of crazy."  And I remember thinking how sad it was that this elderly man was living in a paranoid hellscape that he'd invented for himself with absolutely no reason for doing so.  But it gave me a glimpse into the mind of slorch.

fify

15 hours ago, Satchel said:

Are you really that sure?
https://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5278638&page=1

A Texas man who shot and killed two men he believed to be burglarizing his neighbor's home won't be going to trial. A grand jury today failed to indict Joe Horn, a 61-year-old computer technician who lives in an affluent subdivision in Pasadena, Texas.

Crazy Texan killing someone for pulling in his driveway doesn't surprise me at all.

Slorch thinking this is fine doesn't surprise me.

But there is an affluent subdivision in Pasadena....Holy Shit!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

seems like the actual location of the shooting, you know, down the street and not even on the guy's property, would be a pretty good indicator of the validity of the shooter's 'feared for his life' claim. 

but i'm not a trigger-happy asshole with a bloodlust hardon for killing someone, so there's that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

His organization also released a timeline of events related to the shooting. It said Mr. Dghoughi, who studied finance after emigrating from Morocco in 2013, had gone to a barbecue with his girlfriend in Converse, which is about 15 miles northeast of downtown San Antonio, on Oct. 10.

He left around midnight, and he drove his girlfriend’s Audi alone back to her home in Maxwell, in the Austin metropolitan area, and then left there at about 3 a.m., according to Ring footage.

Mr. Cherkaoui, the lawyer, said Mr. Dghoughi’s girlfriend said he had apparently wanted to “decompress, or was on the way back” and possibly got lost.

Somehow, Mr. Dghoughi ended up at Mr. Turner’s house on Tina’s Trail in Martindale, a drive of between seven to 10 minutes, according to the timeline provided by C.A.I.R.

I'm sure it's too much to hope that the incident was caught on camera by one of the neighbors' security systems/Rings, right?

The victim not having a gun isn't an issue since the defense will claim with great fervor that at 3AM while fearing for his life the defendant made an honest mistake when he saw the defendant point his iPhone towards him in a threatening manner.

The dude was 65. That's about the time my FIL got his bloodlust going & upped his weapons cache to a full blown arsenal. Living in the middle of BFE just didn't provide him the opportunity to shoot one of the muslim/Chinese invaders that his fellow militia members convinced him were going to be parachuting into Harper by Mexican military planes. My wife had tens years of living in fear that he was going to shoot her mom or another family member coming back from feeding the horses at dawn. He died 6 months after they took his guns away (cancer, not a broken heart from having to lay his firearms down).

• Like 1

I'm sure it's too much to hope that the incident was caught on camera by one of the neighbors' security systems/Rings, right?

I saw the neighborhood another poster linked above...I'm not sure those folks have rings. 

47 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The victim not having a gun isn't an issue since the defense will claim with great fervor that at 3AM while fearing for his life the defendant made an honest mistake when he saw the defendant point his iPhone towards him in a threatening manner.

The dude was 65. That's about the time my FIL got his bloodlust going & upped his weapons cache to a full blown arsenal. Living in the middle of BFE just didn't provide him the opportunity to shoot one of the muslim/Chinese invaders that his fellow militia members convinced him were going to be parachuting into Harper by Mexican military planes. My wife had tens years of living in fear that he was going to shoot her mom or another family member coming back from feeding the horses at dawn. He died 6 months after they took his guns away (cancer, not a broken heart from having to lay his firearms down).

Some might say that after they took his guns, he just lost the will to fight.

I kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A few years ago a lady friend and I were shitfaced at 3 am coming back to our AirBnb in East Nashville where you have projects on one side of the road and fancy AirBnbs on the other.  We couldn't get the code to work to open the door so we were banging on the door and windows trying to wake our friends.  It finally dawned on me that we were one house over from ours.  My blood ran cold and I told her let's get the fuck out of there.  Once I was on the sidewalk I turned around and waited for the lady friend to catch up, asking her what took her so long.  She said, "I had to pee so I went in their yard."  I mentioned we were shitfaced, right?

I am glad it wasn't in Martindale.  

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Didn't we have someone on the old site who had a construction worker park in front of his house and the poster wanted to murder him? 

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

dildo pad, I believe

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

We had Dillo Pad, who called the police on the neighbor's flooring crew for parking on the street in front of his house, but I don't believe murder was mentioned.

Yes. The flooring contractor, when he saw dildo in his visor and flip-flops during work hours, well, be became very upset due to his station in life. 

And, he was blocking the view of the other tract college station shitbox across the street from Dillo's college station tract shitbox. 

Many Texans seem to think that if someone is trespassing on your land you can kill them at will.

Well, you pretty much can, in Texas, based on 1) the “stand your ground law” and 2) the way that enough Texans who end up on juries interpret it.

If someone steps onto your property, you can use deadly force with nondairy to retreat or use lesser means to protect yourself or property. Was the person intent on doing you harm, or just an innocent person who stepped on the wrong lawn? He’ll never get a chance to say or explain, because he’s fucking dead.
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, you pretty much can, in Texas, based on 1) the “stand your ground law” and 2) the way that enough Texans who end up on juries interpret it.

If someone steps onto your property, you can use deadly force with nondairy to retreat or use lesser means to protect yourself or property. Was the person intent on doing you harm, or just an innocent person who stepped on the wrong lawn? He’ll never get a chance to say or explain, because he’s fucking dead.

What the fuck you babbling about soyboy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is at least 1 surly-ster that talks about guns hidden around their house and a gun on their hip at all times. Never know when the home invasion is going to occur.

As you mention, I feel for someone that lives with paranoia about needing a gun within reach at all times. If the threat is real, it must be stressful to live in such a dangerous area. If it's more about unrealistic thoughts about attacks, they should seek mental health assistance.

I can't remember who the Shaggy poster was, but I pissed them off when I told them to grow the fuck up and do something to get a better job and live in a better neighborhood. They tried arguing that they had a well-paying job and lived in an incredible neighborhood and we're like "either your extremely mentally ill and inventing boogey men in your head or you're living in a shit neighborhood and hearing stuff going on at all hours of the night."

I have an acquaintance that brought a sidearm to a children's birthday party and at other times he would be armed just driving between work and home between Pflugerville and Round Rock.  You have to be a serious manbaby to be that scared in your life.  He's tried to pull the "well the cops aren't always there" and my response is "no, but when they show up and see your scruffy-looking tactical carrying ass, they're liable to shoot you first and ask questions later."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

20 years ago this guy walks.  But the heat that's coming down now and that will continue to come down from national and international sources is going to ensure now that he doesn't.  And that's a good thing.

Man, whatever and wherever that "heat" comes from, it comes mostly from the jury of your peers from your county.  Amber Guyger got nailed because most people in Dallas County are reasonable people of good will.  Same for the Balch Springs cop.  And the people in Minnesota with their blast-happy cops and Derek Chauvin.

I can't say that I know the people of Caldwell County well, but they are the ones causing the consternation here.  Even in Brunswick, GA, where sufficient heat has come down to prevent local law enforcement shenanigans in the Arbery case, the jury remains a wild card.