Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

I don't know what it's going to take for Texas to have a scene line TN has had. 

For one, the gun reform groups need to have better publicity. I only hear about stuff after it happens. I'd love to attend some sort of march/rally for the one year anniversary of Uvalde. I'm sure there is something but have no idea where to find that info.

Here's every mass shooting since Abbott has been governor along with the county's 2022 election results. 

2016 Dallas PD shootings, Dallas County - 6 Dead - 2022 Election Results*: O'Rourke 62.8%, Abbott 35.9%

2017 Plano domestic violence, Collin County - 9 dead - 2022 Election results: Abbott 54.4%, O'Rourke 44.3%

2017 Sutherland Springs, Wilson County - 27 dead - 2022 Election Results: Abbott 76%, O'Rourke 22%

2018 Santa Fe High School, Galveston County - 10 Dead - 2022 Election Results: Abbott 62%, O'Rourke 36%

2019 El Paso Walmart, El Paso County - 23 Dead - 2022 Election Results*: O'Rourke 63.6%, Abbott 34.8%

2019 Midland-Odessa, Ector and Midland Counties - 8 Dead - 2022 Election Results: Ector Abbott 76%  Midland Abbott 80%

2019 West Freeway Church of Christ, Tarrant County, - 3 Dead - 2022 Election Results: Abbott 51%, O'Rourke 47%

2022 Robb Elementary, Uvalde County - 22 Dead - 2022 Election Results: Abbott 60%, O'Rourke 38.4% 

Dallas and El Paso counties were already Blue counties, so a mass killing in a particular county had zero impact on election results in that county.If you go back and look at 2018 results, Abbott's margins remained the same or even INCREASED in counties where there was a mass shooting.  We care about guns more than people. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 7

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I saw an interview with Fred Guttenberg whose daughter was killed in the Parkland, FL shooting, and he pointed out that the Republicans in Tennessee didn’t even bother with thoughts and prayers after the Nashville shooting. 

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

For one, the gun reform groups need to have better publicity. I only hear about stuff after it happens. I'd love to attend some sort of march/rally for the one year anniversary of Uvalde. I'm sure there is something but have no idea where to find that info.

Once again the Democratic party is quiet when it should be using every platform available to blast republicans, to talk about the bills Democrats have drafted that republicans are shutting down, explain how and if possible leak video of republican politicians shutting it down. 

They should be making appearances in every red state bashing republicans. Should be targeting every college and high school in the red states to target the message right at the people who will be in the 18-25 range in a year and a half. 

They keep quiet. 

Republicans are the Nazis. Democrats are the Germans who failed to attack the Nazis and went along with it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Once again the Democratic party is quiet when it should be using every platform available to blast republicans, to talk about the bills Democrats have drafted that republicans are shutting down, explain how and if possible leak video of republican politicians shutting it down. 

They should be making appearances in every red state bashing republicans. Should be targeting every college and high school in the red states to target the message right at the people who will be in the 18-25 range in a year and a half. 

They keep quiet. 

Republicans are the Nazis. Democrats are the Germans who failed to attack the Nazis and went along with it. 

While I get the emotion of this argument, I'm not sure the politics of it are that straight forward.  Republicans would WELCOME an aggressive anti-gun campaign from Democrats as it appears to be an important piece of glue holding their increasingly tenuous collective together, particularly with the otherwise socially liberal centrists.  Rather, it's going to take a balance of power shift to occur and then a long chain of reactions after that to get to a point where effective gun measures can be put in place and held up at SCOTUS.  To achieve that balance of power shift is probably going to rely on the effectiveness of *other* policy messages, likely democracy, equality, climate, healthcare and abortion.

They're not going "along with it" but rather trying to find a prudent way to "attack" it.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 4/16/2023 at 10:01 PM, Jatrain said:

If large numbers of black and middle eastern men started to open carry (preferably in the suburbs), the GQP would change their tune on gun restrictions.  Of course, a not insignificant number of those same black and middle eastern men would be killed by the police for exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.  

I have been advocating for this very thing for some time now.   Especially after how terrified Tahoe was of those old pictures he continuously posted. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I have been advocating for this very thing for some time now.   Especially after how terrified Tahoe was of those old pictures he continuously posted. 

If ppl of color open Carried more often there’d be a significant uptick in body cam malfunction 

11 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

As long as Republicans are in charge, no decent reform will happen, not even decent red flag laws.  Republicans give no fucks about kids once they are out of the womb, and not only that, but Republicans embrace batshit fucking Qanon lunatics who make up bullshit about kids being trafficked by celebrities for their "juices" to stay young, yet completely ignore the Russians actually trafficking thousands upon thousands of Ukrainian kids out of Ukraine, even when Putin's people brag about it on Russian state TV.

• Hook 'Em 2

The frustrating thing is that I'd be 80% (if not more) of these folks promoting gun rights would agree off the record and privately that it's wrong and something needs to happen. But they refuse to say it publicly for fear of losing their position. The other 20% I have no doubt believe that there should be no restrictions (even though you can't yell fire in a crowded theater).

It would take only about 10-20 of them to say "you know what, I'll be ok even not being a senator/representative and the country would be better off with reforms."

That is absolutely THE chief culprit. An R simply can not win their primary with a weak score from the NRA. No matter how much they know something should be done, they’d be ending their career if they tried. Plus, knowing it’s unlikely to be successful with todays courts, they don’t even consider trying.

The chief culprit is actually that Republicans privately like it when shit like this happens. Anything that further destabilizes the existing state is good in their eyes. Especially when it's a 6-year-old white girl being shot by a black guy. That's a fucking propaganda gold mine to them. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Chronicle editorial that we're not safe anywhere these days. Not because of criminals but of the armed citizens that are blasting away before asking questions or recognizing that someone might just be making an honest mistake.  Like opening the wrong car door.   the other day at a bucees, I think there were only 10 combos of different SUV/colors out of 100+ vehicles. It would be easy to accidentally walk to the wrong car.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/uvalde-woodlands-elite-gun-violiance-reform-17906482.php

paywall free: https://archive.is/vOaz0

16 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I don’t understand how anybody living in this neighborhood could reasonably be expected to pursue happiness in the midst of this amount of firepower. This simply should not be happening in a country full of exceptional people:

https://www.fox4news.com/news/west-dallas-shootout-video.amp

That looks like an assassination.  Probably 100 rounds.  

Look at these pikers!

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wife and I ended up chatting with a gal at the bar here in Finland last night, got to talking about the attitudes in the different countries, etc. Gal finally says “you realize that the rest of us think of America as a third world country, right?” She explained that they simply don’t have news/events like we do. If she googles “mass shooting Finland,” nothing comes up. People here have guns - a lot of them, it’s an outdoorsy, hunting country. They have guns…which require a permit, qualification, etc. And…they DON’T FUCKING CARRY THEM EVERYWHERE.

Of course they also clearly have an ethos of loving and caring for their children. They came up with the “baby box,” and are very proud of their education system. The US…not so much.

The contrast is really sad to see.

But remember, we’re the GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!

Pics of gal?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

False alarm... but this is what we've become.

Seriously, contact someone in the lege. Phone call, email, snail mail. Don't let them skate by thinking we're just numb to this.

This is how "adults" solve problems and address irrational fears now.  Firearms.

I'm about a year away from telling my oldest, "You know what?  It is okay to settle arguments with hitting."  

Sure as shit beats the evolving alternative.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

This is how "adults" solve problems and address irrational fears now.  Firearms.

I'm about a year away from telling my oldest, "You know what?  It is okay to settle arguments with hitting."  

Sure as shit beats the evolving alternative.  

Yeah I probably wouldn't do that in Texas. If you swing a punch, your opponent can fucking shoot you and be legally protected.

59 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Good point.  By the time I start teaching her how to Fight, we’ll make it legal for 9 year olds to open carry on the playground.  I smell christmas card idea!

I've got just the thing for her to DEFEND HER RIGHTS on the playground!

On 4/23/2023 at 12:30 AM, Brian Fantana said:

The Wee1 guy made an excellent point about how "the problem is that we don't have guns designed for 5-year-olds."

Here's this fucking psycho in a picture from video:

image.png.20c0a7c9302c9d798a2fbfed0757c02e.png

He says his kids ask about shooting, so he thinks he should explain things so they don't lose their curiosity.

I'm sure little Pscho Jr. just randomly brought up questions rather than just aping his father's open pathology. WTF?

This guy would have been avoided, shunned, and shamed by the parents of my generation. Now he's an opinion leader.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Rage+1 2

Other than very basic safety, respect for the danger of the weapon, and then learning how to shoot low-caliber rifles at a secure range...it never occurred to my father to take me shooting with weapons like that.  And he and his whole family, as well as most of the men in my mother's family, having served in the military, many in active combat.  

Kid probably can't read, but he can shoot the fuck out of a target.  

Doesn't know the difference between less/fewer, but knows difference between magazine/clip.  

My brother lived very close to where Kyle Rittenhouse did in Antioch, IL.  One of the reasons he left there was the blatant gun culture that was harmful for hunting.  I'm an outdoorsman, I like backcountry camping, hiking, and fishing.  But my brother is on another level.  He is a deep woods bow-hunter.  He tracks for days on end and says it's because the 'sportsmen' in Antioch ruined it for him.  They're 'hunting' deer with semi-automatic rifles between strip centers and calling it sport.  It's not.  So 20 years ago, he took up bow-hunting and moved downstate eventually to more wide open spaces.  We talk about one of our goals of fatherhood of our daughters being the simple plan to never have our daughters think shit like the above photo is cool.  It's a fucking cult, and another dirty little secret is the kinda guys that teach their sons this shit more than likely teach their sons other sick shit that involves females.  For another time, I suppose.  

My brother has great anecdotes though about would-be  suitors coming to pickup his daughters.  And he sits 'em down and asks them if they've heard stories about fathers interrogating boys on the sofa with a shotgun in his hands.  And they all say yes.  And he laughs and says "wait here."  And he returns with no shotgun, just a recurve bow with no arrow in it.  And just wipes down the limbs on each end.  And says something like, "I always liked this one.  The tension is such that it will nearly kill the target instantly.  But it's set so that the brain can still watch the arrow in flight from release to the middle of the victim's core.  It's just perfect."  

We're weird.  

• Haha 1