Bruce Willis - done with acting

UTCzech III

Why does this have to happen to Bruce Willis when that fat fuck Steven Seagal is still rolling around with his Bruce Lee clothes and painted-on hair?

Still one of my favorite lines from any film, it's just delivered perfectly:

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

5th Element was a cool movie nobody has mentioned yet. I always liked the alien operatic music.

5th Element was great.  I'm also partial to Die Hard: With a Vengeance over the original.  That may be more because I was the perfect age for it when it came out and I watched it ad nauseum on HBO that summer, but still.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TurkeyChew said:

I just dug through the filmography linked above for Direct-to-video. Can someone who knows help those of us who are clueless how this industry works?

It appears based on the film titles and actors, to be aged or actors who were once bankable or had a name, that can no longer get work (e.g. some of those films were Bruce Willis, Kevin Dillon, Devon Sawa, Luke Wilson, Chad Michael Murray, Shannon Doherty, etc.).

These films then skip theatres with no marketing or press junket or publicity and then go straight to DVD for consumption at like a RedBox? Streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, etc.? 

How do the economics of these things work considering none of us have or will ever see these movies with 6% on RT, etc.

My only guess is they are made for overseas audiences and there are huge old American actor fans and profit centers in Sri Lanka or Poland or something?

My guess is part of that direct-to-video market was the result of the pandemic basically killing theatrical releases for more than a year, nearly two.

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

I enjoyed Nobody’s Fool. Never heard or read shit about it, randomly watched it, and loved it. 

Great flick.

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I also like Last Man Standing. Its a remake of a Fistful of Dollars (Clint Eastwood spaghetti western).

I really like this scene, Texas Ranger laying down the law:

Can't watch that with a straight face since the Ranger was also the a-hole Dr. on Scrubs.

3 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

So, I guess this is as good a time as any to admit this, I've never seen Die Hard.

Every year during Christmas when Die Hard comes up as "is it a Christmas movie or not" debate, I mean to check it out, but I never do.

This is the time that we pile on you.  A veritable TurkeyChewt if you will.  

• Haha 2

Fuck this really sucks. Loved him as David Addison and of course in Die Hard. I remember in the Sixth Sense telling my wife that his wife was a bitch for ignoring him so much. He was also a great sport in his Comedy Central Roast in 2018... Now that I watch him again his speech seems a little off but he still kills it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Moonlighting was great.  My mom always had on Dallas so I of course watched that when I was a kid but Moonlighting was one of the first "adult" one hour television shows I staked out and watched on my own as a kid (I mean I watched Magnum, A-Team, Knight Rider and on and on with all that shit but those were more action shows). Die Hard blew my 12 year old mind.  Bruce's ability to be comedy and action all at the same time was top tier.  This sucks for him and hope he does well.

Yippee Ki-Yay Motherfucker

• Hook 'Em 1

In recent years, Bruce Willis has been fed lines through an earpiece, used a body double for scenes involving gunfire and had his lines shortened so he could better remember them. Filmmakers around him had suspicions about his mental decline for years.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2022-03-30/bruce-willis-aphasia-memory-loss-cognitive-disorder

13 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Fuck this really sucks. Loved him as David Addison and of course in Die Hard. I remember in the Sixth Sense telling my wife that his wife was a bitch for ignoring him so much. He was also a great sport in his Comedy Central Roast in 2018... Now that I watch him again his speech seems a little off but he still kills it

It's a roast. Odds are he was just a little tipsy.

19 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

So, I guess this is as good a time as any to admit this, I've never seen Die Hard.

Every year during Christmas when Die Hard comes up as "is it a Christmas movie or not" debate, I mean to check it out, but I never do.

19 hours ago, Hate said:

I saw it for the first time last Christmas and enjoyed it. You should watch it this year.

giphy.gif?cid=e1bb72ff5b5f52d555302e2f73

20 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

Damn.  Best to him.

LINK

19 hours ago, C-Man said:

I've heard of aphasia but had to look it up and remind myself exactly what it is. Usually brought on by traumatic head/brain injury or stroke or is a sign of brain tumor.

Fucking sucks. Bruce is one of the greatest action heroes of all time. Loved him in Moonlighting and then was basically dragged to see Die Hard at the theater in HS. I never in a million years thought that movie was going to be anything other than a cheesefest a la Tango & Cash. It's perhaps the greatest action film ever made and nobody else in the world could've played John McClane.

Best wishes, Bruce.

"I was always partial to Roy Rogers."

die-hard-bruce-willis.gif

I have Will/Jada fatigue.  I read that as Alopescia and Bruce was bald.  But I'm a big fan of his and certainly wish him well.  One of my favorites.  Also didn't think he was near 70.

Willis was meant to deliver a line that served as Kent’s cue to duck before he fired the weapon at a bad guy. Instead, he shot the gun before delivering the line — and the actress was unable to duck.

“Because my back was to him, I wasn’t aware of what was happening behind me. But the first time, it was like, ‘No big deal, let’s reset,’” she said.

Kent said she asked director Matt Eskandari to remind Willis to say his line before firing the gun.

But on the second take, the same thing happened, Kent said.

Good Lord.  His handlers are aholes.

• Like 2

Yeah, that article points a damning look at Willis' handlers and management team. Looks like they were more concerned about squeezing every last dime out of his career for their own personal gain rather than Bruce was trying to set up some "nest egg." 

Has to be this. He never seemed like he was blowing through money and wouldn’t have fuck you money. At least, if he did blow through money, he was discrete about it.

20 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Think that’s Bruce’s best movie and perhaps the most underrated sci-fi movies of all time.

That Chris Tucker almost single-handedly ruined.

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Check her out in Heaven’s Prisoners. 

One of my life's greatest disappointments is Teri's scene on the balcony.

15082614-89eb-48fb-ba33-4ecb46e9448e_tex

14 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I love many of his movies, but I have a soft spot for The Last Boyscout.  There’s something about the way it’s shot in that blue smokey light, the gratuitous violence and endless gun clips, bad guys you saw in every movie, inside jokes about buddy cop duo’s  that just screams 90s movie you watched over and over at the dollar theater to me.

Didn't see this in the theater. Rented it with a couple of buddies one weekend night when we weren't doing anything. We watched it and then immediately rewound it and watched it again once it was over we loved it so much.

2 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Die Hard, Fifth Element, and Pulp Fiction are at the top for me.

There are probably not many things from his prime that I won't watch, this includes Hudson Hawk... one of my guilty pleasures.

Hudson Hawk isn't nearly as terrible as some people seem to think. (Full disclosure: I saw it many, many years after it was first released.)

He has 2 young kids: 8 and 10. Sucks but having kids at 55-60 isn't always a low risk idea in terms of being there for them.

As far as squeezing out any last dime, I was under the impression that Willis made a killing with The Sixth Sense. Didn't he same a percent of the take on that one? And I don't mean those BS hollywood deals that never pay.