Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

4 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

They want Sharpe's head.   Which is ironic because he's done a decent job of spreading the aggy brand across the state if you will.   People seem to forget in Collie Station and elsewhere he is the Chancellor for their whole system and as a former student at one of the schools in the system who still keeps tabs on things, he's probably been more engaged with that school than any other Chancellor before him since the school has been the in the aggy system (going back to the late 80's).    He has an appeal in many places especially in South Texas because he's from Victoria and from his days as State Comptroller.   Before Sharpe became Chancellor,  the aggy system was very much behind the curve  ( and still are playing catch up, IMO) at putting some sort of shared identity on their system schools that UT has been able to do for San Antonio, El Paso, Arlington,  Pan American, etc. very well since the get go with their affiliations with those institutions.  

Counterpoint:  in the decade he's been Chancellor, A&M (B/CS) has expanded from 50K students to 71K students.  It is clearly damaging their academic reputation, to the point where a lot of people now think UT-Dallas is the second most reputable public school in the state.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

They want Sharpe's head.   Which is ironic because he's done a decent job of spreading the aggy brand across the state if you will. 

Predictable is the word I would use. The way they acted through all this has been par for the course for decades. They have no middle. Everything is the greatest ever or the worst ever. Their coach is the best coach in the world until he's the worst coach in the world, outside of Sherrill and Bible. Their recruits are the best in the country, until they choose someone else. The SEC was the love of their life. Now it's not. Loftin was amazing, now he's not. Sharpe was amazing, now he's not.

There are only extremes with them.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

This is all playing out like it did for aggy in 2011-12.

this seems to be the fallback position for the two aggy i am good friends with (both v. cool and 2%ers...except for football lol).

basically saying 'you're welcome for atm showing you how to do this' and i'm all

tenor (8).gif

12 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

My suspicion is that the SEC stops for now unless the last big fish wants onboard (ND) , and lets the other 3 conferences figure it out knowing they will never catch up 

ND ain't joining the SEC.  If ND spurns the ACC for the B1G at some point, the SEC could expand into ACC territory.  But no way would ND ever be an SEC team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Counterpoint:  in the decade he's been Chancellor, A&M (B/CS) has expanded from 50K students to 71K students.  It is clearly damaging their academic reputation, to the point where a lot of people now think UT-Dallas is the second most reputable public school in the state.

UTSA's acceptance rate, at one point, was lower than A&M's. That was about 2 years ago. Haven't checked recently.

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

To late now but Texas, OU, Clemson, FLST, USC, UCLA, (Michigan and Ohio State / Oregon and Washington) should have formed a new conference of their own with 4 pods. In which each pod maintained its' Tier III rights and the founding members maintained a 60-40 split with the additional invited members to complete 4 team PODs for Tier 1 and 2 rights. They would have had folks clamoring to be included at 40%. Then since we are selling out name the PODs Google, Amazon, Nike, Delta or whatever for revenue. Have those businesses guarantee NIL for the top 5 players on each team for founding members.  Screw the little guys they would still be happy to be included.

That still wouldn't be stronger than what the SEC has going.

Just now, Js1 said:

ND ain't joining the SEC.  If ND spurns the ACC for the B1G at some point, the SEC could expand into ACC territory.  But no way would ND ever be an SEC team. 

Agreed, but thats the point. Who else rises the boat at this point ? No one. 

How far do you want to push the envelope here, and risk getting congress involved? 

Let this simmer for awhile, revisit it in 2030 when the ACCs GOR looks attractive and see who if anyone makes the math make sense. 

51 minutes ago, deech said:

You know an added benefit to all this has to be the B1G/Pac 10 nuclear destruction.  For decades those two conferences and the Rose Bowl claimed moral superiority over everyone else.  It's great to see them eat each other alive over money like everyone else has done in earlier iterations of realignment.

Covid showed the fractures in their ivory tower,  when they claimed no CFB and SEC and Big 12 said hold our beer.   They seem to realize more quickly in this situation that they are not the king makers,  and as you point out,  that they will be much quicker to the mud pit.  

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I love the narrative of how Texas moving to the SEC will destroy Lubbock businesses. Like we’re a small town textile mill that’s relocating to China and killing the local economy.

Well, actually, he is correct.  Tech's 6 home games every year, not just when Texas comes to town every other year, but the entire Tech schedule will now bring less money because fewer people will travel, fewer people will attend, etc.  Unless they land in the PAC, Texas is leaving them behind.

Where is Engel's article written anytime in his career thanking Texas and 0u for that matter for helping increase Tech's relevance and the Lubbock economy?  Where are Engel's articles about the fuckery of 2008 and the oSu fix in 2015?

Tech were on the brink of national relevance when they let Craig James (SMU!) fuck their school.  Is there an Engel article about that?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

That still wouldn't be stronger than what the SEC has going.

It would not be stronger that what the SEC has going with us and OU added to it. With Michigan and Ohio State the SEC would have nothing else big to pluck and all the programs that carry 4 remaining conferences would be in one conference. At that point it would be on par or bigger than the SEC and all founding members would carry a big stick.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

giphy.gif

I’m so tired of this “UT has to stay in the big 12 because it would hurt other universities” bullshit.  That effectively means UT is handcuffed because other universities are admitting they cannot survive without UT, which means they are riding the UT coattails. How is that fair to UT? Why don’t people write about that point?

Yeah Baby GIF by memecandy

preach christina aguilera GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Speaking of the Pendejo....

LMAO this is the aggyest of all aggy tweets every aggyed. Dude living vicariously through another SEC team's hypothetical win against Texas. I mean, whatever get the taste out of your mouth from the last time your actual team faced a McCoy, Looch...

spacer.png

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, MoJames said:

What is the rush with joining the SEC? Why not go without plans publicly for a week or so and weigh our options. Granted there could've already been tons of back room discussions with the Big10 and Pac12 with the SEC being the best financial fit. Seems odd though, as shouldn't ever major conference be falling over themselves to add two Blueblood CFB programs?

We're not trading Lawrence and Manhattan, Kansas for Iowa City, IA and West Lafayette, IN. The Big 10 is boring, old man football with one great team in it and others with tradition who never have a shot against that one great team. The Pac 12 doesn't care about football and hardly rates unless USC and Oregon are good. We'd be coming in to pull another conference along. We don't have that with the SEC. We can just go in and focus on football. 

Out of a sense of probity I can’t adjust it below 3 years.
Here's how this will play out, in case anyone is curious.

Helobious: we're staying in the big 12
(Texas publicly announces intent to leave)
Helobious: well, we're not leaving for 4 years
(Texas announces intent to start playing in fall of 2022)
Helobious: it won't happen. Somewhere between now and fall of 22 something else will happen

This guy has proven he's willing to keep moving goalposts not to admit he was wrong, and once that starts it will continue to no end.

He's also dodged requests to put any teeth behind his predictions, clearly because he knows they're shit.

I don't really get the endgame here unless he's just trolling or unwilling to take the L, but it's pointless to continue engaging. Even if he thought he was right at one point, he knows he's wrong now and will never admit it.

6 minutes ago, mchookem said:

this seems to be the fallback position for the two aggy i am good friends with (both v. cool and 2%ers...except for football lol).

basically saying 'you're welcome for atm showing you how to do this' and i'm all

tenor (8).gif

Yeah, I "congratulated" an insufferable aggy last week for "winning" realignment. Short-term, anyway. Dipshits

12 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

SEC rant is so fun to read.   They have their share of dumbass shit, but they are really seeing aggy for the frauds they are now.  

For the you can’t make this shit up file…..

Quick Primer on OU's legendary history of cheating

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/quick-primer-on-ous-legendary-history-of-cheating/97423718/

Here an aggy lobs what they think is a well thought out record of OUSux and their record of cheating.   The next post is a response with a  pic of Eric Dickersons TA. Lmao!   These idiots  have zero self awareness before they post. 

Those Mizzou incels really have a lot of rage towards women.

Just now, mdmost said:

We're not trading Lawrence and Manhattan, Kansas for Iowa City, IA and West Lafayette, IN. The Big 10 is boring, old man football with one great team in it and others with tradition who never have a shot against that one great team. The Pac 12 doesn't care about football and hardly rates unless USC and Oregon are good. We'd be coming in to pull another conference along. We don't have that with the SEC. We can just go in and focus on football. 

I do wonder how much of this behind the scenes is Texas tired of the operational burden of having to run shit, support the entire conference, and just wanting to focus on Football. 

Yeah, leaving prior to the GoR being termed is painful.   They keep quoting $80m, but that's just the withdraw penalty.   The rights to all T1/2 broadcasts are held by the Big 12 until 2025, that's the real kicker.  So, imagine $80m, plus no game revenue for 4 years, even if moved sooner.

That being said, I cannot imagine a scenario where you play out 4 years.   Everyone likes to say "fuck off" here, but its in the best interests of everyone to get Tech and OkSt (and likely KU/ISU) a good home.  At that point you could vote to dissolve and eradicate the buyout and the GoR.

Dates of note:

2022 - NFL Deals expire

2023 - SEC T1 moves from CBS to ESPN

2024 - Pac/B1G deals expire

2025 - B12 deals expire

2032 - SEC T2/3 deals expire

2036 - ACC deal expires

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, MoJames said:

What is the rush with joining the SEC? Why not go without plans publicly for a week or so and weigh our options. Granted there could've already been tons of back room discussions with the Big10 and Pac12 with the SEC being the best financial fit. Seems odd though, as shouldn't ever major conference be falling over themselves to add two Blueblood CFB programs?

Time kills deals. Do you even sales bro?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

we always will.  until the UTIMCO distribution rules change, aggy gets 1/3rd of the annual AUF payment.

Let me be a bit more clear.  I’d rather we not subsidize anyone . . .  outside of the UT family.  

14 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Alabama and Tennessee competing in the Big 12 for rowing, so the rowing team may not be competing in the SEC in Fall 2022.

Big 12 rowing: Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Tennessee, Kansas, K State, West Virginia.

Sounds like this may be an SEC sport soon…

Welp, XII is more or less dead but through all of this I got to see Oklahoma keep our arch-rival, that meant so much..! SEC here we come, suck it aggy..!

In losing Bedlam/ getting whipped by KU in hoops/ shootouts at Tech/ upsets to KSU & ISU, thanks for the memories, but on to a new "portal" in Dixie...

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

There isn't any rush. We have been looking at this for a year and decided this was in our best interests strategically and for the long term and now we are acting on it.  Higher financial offers aren't going to make it any different. I'd love to go to the big 10 with OU, ND, Kansas, Ok State and ISU and make that conference 20, where we get a cross over with Ohio State or Michigan every other year (same with OU) but otherwise don't have much to do with them.  Divisions would be:  

Texas, OU, ND, Kansas, OK State, ISU, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota.  

Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Northwestern, Purdue and Wisconsin.  

10 Conference game schedule.  Everyone in your division plus rotating home and home's between schools on your level- so Texas, OU, ND get put with Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin, everyone else can pick a rival or float one conference game around- whatever they want.  That would put OU, ND, Nebraska and one of Michigan, Ohio state and Wisconsin on our football schedule every year.  We could have 1 warm up game and 1 national game with an SEC power.  That conference would print money (I think), not as much as the SEC but pretty damn close, and it would have 5 absolute no doubt about it blue bloods in Michigan, OH State, TX, OU, and ND.  (there are only 7 no doubt about it blue bloods in my mind- add in Bama and USC and that's the list- period).  Now, the upper middle class in the SEC would be better as I'd take LSU, Fl, GA, aggy over Nebraska, IA, WI and PSU, but it's pretty fucking close there.  Dregs are dregs and NW plays the vandy part just fine.  Illinois and Purdue can get their asses kicked just as easily as the Klan schools, but they aren't as smelly and gross to associate with.  

All that said I don't know that you could get ND in there, I don't know that the big 10 wants OK or Ok State in particular but I feel like they'd hold their noses for us and ND and maybe even like it by the time it was all said and done.  

The biggest upshot of the SEC over a proposal like this is crushing aggy for eternity, but I'd rather not associate with the klan and swamp trash in the SEC if something like this could be pulled off as well.

But this is all mental masterbation as because there isn't any other deal out there to be made that the powers that be believe will be better than the SEC for the next 100  years, and they are probably right

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, MoJames said:

What the fuck is this shit? Give me one good reason to choose any other conference? It was that trip to Rutgers you were looking forward to, right? Or Minnesota? Wisconsin? I hear winters there are delightful. Maybe all the late night games on the west coast, when everyone is watching? Maybe you miss playing Colorado? They still have a football team, right?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

We have more information at our  finger tips....  

Back then if we had the dynamic we have now, I'm not so sure the threat of withholding state funds would have swayed as many people as it did back then.   Ultimately it might have carried the day.  But I'm certain a lot of back and forth would have occurred regarding exactly where it's stated in statue a single member of the executive or legislative branch can unilaterally withhold state funds due to a collective temper  tantrum for being excluded or they felt like they've been cheated for some reason.  Even political Goliaths like Bullock would have felt the incoming from the other side.

the situation has changed in the past 30 years, whereas then, both aggy and UT relied on state money, today, the AUF distribution obliterates any threat from politicans

but aggy would *never* want that to get in to the public discourse because of what i wrote just a few posts ago (they don't share with their system, technically they are still a part of UT and the UTIMCO set-up keeps them in the money, etc.)

the last thing aggy needs is tech going batshit and forcing an argument over the PUF

1 minute ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

What the fuck is this shit? Give me one good reason to choose any other conference? It was that trip to Rutgers you were looking forward to, right? Or Minnesota? Wisconsin? I hear winters there are delightful. Maybe all the late night games on the west coast, when everyone is watching? Maybe you miss playing Colorado? They still have a football team, right?

Rutgers is full of potential, that is what I hear from their fanbase. 

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Once you start getting to 24+, then we’ll be talking about two conferences, like the NFL, which used to be known as the SEC and the Big Ten and they’ll have mini-conferences called divisions or pods that will be regional.

It’ll basically be like thiscord cutting where there was disruption but people are slowly moving back to cable packages because they’re paying for 10 different streaming services, they’ve just cut out the cable providers. It’ll be the same thing with the NCAA. 

I think we are headed to either a 12 or 16 team playoff  like FCS.

If I were in charge of the final solution.  

The new Power Four (SEC, ACC, Pac 12, BIG 10)  will get two slots for a total of eight.   IE we all bring in the money to fund this thing, this is how the playoffs get setup.  

The rest will be officially at large with an emphasis on taking champs from those leagues IF their records match a certain threshold.   In other words the 7-4 team that sneaks into the Conference USA Championship and knocks off the 11-0 regular season  won't automatically qualify.   Both would both miss out hopefully, but some consideration would still be given to the now 11-1 team, especially if they beat a Power Four team that was worth a hoot  early and the body of work through the season. 

The top  four seeds get auto home field until the semis where they are play at a pre determined venue for neutrality purposes.

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:
SIAP , check out item 2
siap, check out item 2, someone, guessing Bjork or Sharp is gone 
bjork.thumb.jpg.5ceca9fd436e96e49f70c5dc1add00d4.jpg

The best way for aggy to prove to the cfb world that they really aren't as embarrassingly mad as the "sip media" have made them out to be about this is to fire a sr official for letting it happen.

I think they'll paint it as Bjork going rogue or off script.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

We already subsidize 7 universities and 8 health institutions with our “large endowment” (understatement of the year).  If Tech/Houston wants in on that money, put forth a bill to merge their systems with UT.  But they won’t because reasons…

Seriously adding schools in the panhandle with a medical center in El Paso plus finally getting a real University in Houston would be great for this state.

After what happened to McRaven's campus in Houston, we should just finish the Dell project and bank our money until the zoomers are in power in 2050.

• Hook 'Em 1

Your dog is old and sickly. It’s time is at an end. Your choices are:

1) give it a period of lavish attention before humanely euthanizing it as comfortably as possible, at a large financial cost 

2) pat it on the head and say you did the best you could, and shoot it and bury it in the back pasture, and you already have the rifle and the cartridge. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I think we are headed to either a 12 or 16 team playoff  like FCS.

If I were in charge of the final solution.  

The new Power Four (SEC, ACC, Pac 12, BIG 10)  will get two slots for a total of eight.   IE we all bring in the money to fund this thing, this is how the playoffs get setup.  

The rest will be officially at large with an emphasis on taking champs from those leagues IF their records match a certain threshold.   In other words the 7-4 team that sneaks into the Conference USA Championship and knocks off the 11-0 regular season  won't automatically qualify.   Both would both miss out hopefully, but some consideration would still be given to the now 11-1 team, especially if they beat a Power Four team that was worth a hoot  early and the body of work through the season. 

The top  four seeds get auto home field until the semis where they are play at a pre determined venue for neutrality purposes.

I think it'll be some sort of P4 Autobid 1 for champion , G5 at large 1 Autobid, and a the rest at large . 

SEC will regularly have 4+ in the playoffs. 

20 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Predictable is the word I would use. The way they acted through all this has been par for the course for decades. They have no middle. Everything is the greatest ever or the worst ever. Their coach is the best coach in the world until he's the worst coach in the world, outside of Sherrill and Bible. Their recruits are the best in the country, until they choose someone else. The SEC was the love of their life. Now it's not. Loftin was amazing, now he's not. Sharpe was amazing, now he's not.

There are only extremes with them.

Yea they really worshiped the ground Loftin walked on.   They all went in with SEC bowties...

6 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I think he’s just trying to make @Helobious not be the dumbest guy in the room. Very noble of him. 

13 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we always will.  until the UTIMCO distribution rules change, aggy gets 1/3rd of the annual AUF payment.

Any change in the distribution of PUF income would require a constitutional amendment voted on by the people of Texas. 

And UofH, Tech, etc already are part of a separate publicly funded higher education endowment created to mimic the PUF-The Higher Education Fund. 

42 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't speak aggy, but... are they saying that this temper tantrum is going to get someone at aggy fired? B/c if so that is almost too good for words...

Depending on which theory of who knew what you believe.  Sharp knew (according to Finebaum when he owned Lucci) but was told he could not tell anyone, especially his AD.  If this is the case, the aggie faithful want Sharp's head.....Which is truly sad because despite what you may think of the man, he has done a fantastic job for the A&M system.