Scott Frost - a very rich unemployed person

immamac

They pay him his full buyout now because being a bad hire / bad football coach isn’t a morally reprehensible thing (like if he was running around with coeds or plump trainers).  Because they need to lure the next guy in, if they stiffed the last guy, who was a favored son, they lose leverage with the next guy.  And in the grand scheme of things of college football, it’s not that much money

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Or there is shit going on behind the scenes and he is so fucking incompetent, think John Blake with OU, that every day he was there he destroyed the program a little more

Has to be something along these lines. They’ve got ousux and Indiana in the next 3 weeks. Maybe they thought those are both losses with how Frost had them playing but maybe a change could at least give them a shot against Indiana. So, is it worth $7.5M for a shot at an extra win and a 3 week head start toward a hopefully better product than what they’ve been seeing (couldn’t be much worse)? Not to mention a 3 week head start on finding the replacement? Probably becomes pretty easy to justify when you look at it that way.

2 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

They pay him his full buyout now because being a bad hire / bad football coach isn’t a morally reprehensible thing (like if he was running around with coeds or plump trainers).  Because they need to lure the next guy in, if they stiffed the last guy, who was a favored son, they lose leverage with the next guy.  And in the grand scheme of things of college football, it’s not that much money

Is it stiffing him to wait 3 more weeks to fire him for shit performance? I don’t think they were doing this out of morality or to impress the next round of potential hires. They did it because they’re idiots.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

A potential coach is going to be angry that you performed under the agreed to terms of the contract with the previous guy?  Makes no sense to me.

As incomprehensible as the decision to fire him now may seem, I think there are boosters who didn't want to stiff him because of what he did for them as a player. It's like not wanting to stiff VY because what he meant to the University as a player.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Nonsense.  It's a negotiated contract.  Frost had a lawyer just like the next guy will.  It's absolutely not "stiffing him" by waiting a few weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm of the belief had they won last night, but lost (or split) their next two with Oklahoma and Indiana, Frost would be gone on October 2.  None of us know, but something may have happened behind the scenes after the game. Maybe some big cigars told Alberts after the game that was enough, and if something didn't happen by noon today, his job would be next.

Remember, Alberts reworked Frost's contract last fall when he had no reason to; he should have jettisoned Frost then and there.  His neck was on the line here as well, because people are rightfully going to ask why bring back Frost and nothing essentially had changed.  Hell, they could have easily been 0-3 right now.

• Like 1

Clearly the money is not that big of a deal compared to the suckage of having Frost walking the sidelines, especially with OU coming up.  They pay him the extra money now because they owe it to him under the contract, and it’s worth it (in their minds) not to have the national narrative focused on Frost for three more weeks.  I’m sure that Trev didn’t need to check his account balance this morning to make sure he had enough to pull the trigger. 

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Apologies @Porterhouse you were correct and I apparently underestimated how stupid the NU AD and boosters truly are.  Just wow... giving him extra $7.5M is just like aggy level stupid.

You underestimate how bad the rot is. His defense has totally quit on him. The contract was idiotic. The buyout now isn’t. That isn’t a lot of money in big collegiate / pro sports. You want a daily reminder of how bad your team and coach are as a player, fan or booster for 20 more days?  No. Frankly we should’ve fired Herman and Strong mid season instead of after the season. Yet, we become cheap and instead let rot within the team fester, making it more difficult for the next coach. 

35 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

How was it an emotional hire? It was a no-brainer hire IMO. One of the hottest names around at that time, plus he’s an alum. How could they not make that hire?

Look at his head coaching record before he was hired.  Yes I know blah blah blah Darrel Royal blah blah.   He was not a proven head coach at the D1 level.  If you think they couldn’t get one then at least get a proven coach at the next level down.  They got a coach who had one good year at the lower level and the overriding factor was the emotional appeal of having a hometown hero.  

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I wish my current employer would stiff me by paying me only 7.5mill to leave.  I will personally carry  the next guys boxes in for that.

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Look at his head coaching record before he was hired.  Yes I know blah blah blah Darrel Royal blah blah.   He was not a proven head coach at the D1 level.  If you think they couldn’t get one then at least get a proven coach at the next level down.  They got a coach who had one good year at the lower level and the overriding factor was the emotional appeal of having a hometown hero.  

Yeah except Nebraska wasn’t the only team who thought he was a hot commodity. He was on most lists. He was pretty much Herman 2.0 except Frost had an undefeated season. Very few people viewed that as just an “emotional hire”

• Like 1

I predicted that the Big 10 would end Nebraska Football as nationally relevant but I never dreamed they would not even be relevant in the Big 10 West.

This has gone so much better than I could have ever imagined in even my most blackhearted bitter anti-Nebraska moments.

I hope they enjoyed beating North Dakota because that is going to be the highlight of the season.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Lincoln is probably very cool for milquetoast white folk but I’m not sure linebackers from South Oak Cliff will be swayed by antiquing at the hay market on Sunday afternoons.

i am sure all college guys, regardless of color, like bars and chicks, which I am sure Lincoln has.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I predicted that the Big 10 would end Nebraska Football as nationally relevant but I never dreamed they would not even be relevant in the Big 10 West.

This has gone so much better than I could have ever imagined in even my most blackhearted bitter anti-Nebraska moments.

I hope they enjoyed beating North Dakota because that is going to be the highlight of the season.

Well, who wouldn't treasure a victory over the mighty Fighting Hawks. Start scheduling the South Dakota Coyotes as well, and Nebraska can start terrorizing two of the very few states that might be less interesting than it.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Nebraska losses.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

Nebraska losses.jpg

Correlation vs causation.  It's not even remotely that simple if that is what the producer of this chart is trying to suggest.  Expanding media rights, streaming, one of the better coaches of all time retiring, switching conferences, and playing UT regularly guaranteeing one painful loss a season also played a role.  Make a chart of USC's win percentage by year vs. average monthly LA temps and see what that looks like.

Edited by Bodhi

8 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Gonna confess, I feel a little bad for Frost. He won Nebraska's last national championship as a QB, and 25 years later, the student section, none of whom were even born in his glory days, were chanting to fire him. 

I've found that you get over that pretty quickly by just going home and going to sleep on a big pile of money.

• Haha 2

This is one of those troll jobs to indicate NU must be racist as they’ve had no black head coaches. One, there are like 57 black folks in Nebraska. Second, few black folks choose to move to Nebraska if they have any other choice. There are more Sioux in the state. Some counties up there have zero people. Just corn ranches operated by robots.
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s a bad job. Nobody an an upward trajectory will take it unless they’re money whipped.  Really money whipped.  Overwhelmingly money whipped, because it’s where coaches go to die.

I hope they don't try to money whip Patterson...I read on another site they had talked to Harsin, but not confirmed.

On 8/27/2022 at 4:40 PM, Your Mom said:

I have a hard time keeping track of all our Nebraska victories  There was Roll Left, there was Major getting knocked senseless as the threw the winning TD, apparently there was a Squints victory I wouldn’t have recalled, but mainly there is Bevo literally shitting on their name in endzone. 

There were a ton of sweet wins.  Ricky ran all over the vaunted black shirt D in one game...The best was Colt throwing it out of bounds and leaving  2 seconds or a second on the clock for the field goal to win it.  Just the look on Pelini and Osborne's face.  It was reviewed and Pelini to this day still claims they got screwed...That one really had to sting since we were moving on to the National Championship game...

Edited by Azbadlands

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is one of those troll jobs to indicate NU must be racist as they’ve had no black head coaches. One, there are like 57 black folks in Nebraska. Second, few black folks choose to move to Nebraska if they have any other choice. There are more Sioux in the state. Some counties up there have zero people. Just corn ranches operated by robots.

So they’d rather employ robots instead of black people?

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I wasn’t aware that their job searches were confined inside state lines. So how many Sioux head coaches have they had?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s a bad job. Nobody an an upward trajectory will take it unless they’re money whipped.  Really money whipped.  Overwhelmingly money whipped, because it’s where coaches go to die.

It is a bad job. But football coaches tend to be egomaniacs. The allure of bringing Nebraska back will ensnare someone. Especially for 25 or 30 million. 

Edited by ztejas

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Well, there was.

17 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

If Nebraska did not negotiate an agreement with Frost to only pay $7.5M as a buyout and get to fire him early then that whole administration is full of very stupid and inpatient folks. Then you turn around and must trust the same folks to make a good hire. Glad it is happening to a bunch of cry babies that got tired of losing to Texas.

Did you catch the part about Trev Albert being the AD?

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Something about the specificity of “like 57” made me laugh. 

16 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

After last night, what transpired happened with full approval of boosters, donors, the Board of Regents, everyone.  Alberts didn't just decide to spend an extra $7.5 million out of the goodness of his heart towards Frost, or because he was pissed.

Sure, but Trev will take 100% of the blame when people look back at this in a couple of years. If the coach he hires isn't immediately competitive, I don't think he'll be able to ride that storm.

• Hook 'Em 1