Top Gun 2

Red Five

11 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I liked it better than the original. I thought the first half dragged a little but they really stuck the landing. 

And I love Jennifer Connely but I just didn't feel the chemistry between her and Maverick. That whole plot line just felt forced and unnecessary. I guess Kelly Mcgillis looks like a troll now? 

I never really felt the chemistry between Cruise and McGillis in the original. I thought Kelly was better as an Amish woman in Witness.

Jennifer Connelly is still hot, though. Those boots. Mrowr.

B5519FED-5989-4C09-9656-43F6432B550E.thumb.png.6569601915bbf2ca92236f66c149dd1b.png

• Hook 'Em 1

I saw it yesterday AM at the Lincoln Center IMAX (it is a real IMAX), and I loved it.  Also, Miles Teller was very good in this.  And I am always up for some Glen Powell.  

I have to say, there was some really good actiing by Tom Cruise in this, and yeah, I teared up a few times.  

I will go see this again.  Also, loved the preview for the new Jurassic Park movie, so I have tickets to see that first showing in IMAX 2D on that first Saturday AM.  That is a good time to go to the movies in NYC.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah because she was total smoke in the 80s... 

During our rewatch of the OG on Saturday, my wife made the comment that McGillis is unattractive and manly. Never thought about it before but I think her being manly with the deep voice fits it being a totally gay movie so Tom could get his freak on, on screen without upsetting Xenu.

22 hours ago, Mittens said:

Saw it yesterday and have to say it was pretty damn good.  Pleasantly surprised and definitely recommend.  My nitpiks:

Hide contents

Could the attack run be any bigger ripoff from Star Wars? Very sneaky how they changed the target size from 2m to 3m though.

When they're on the final attack run, I think when Rooster finally gets his shit together and is making the climb, you can see a GoPro mounted on the rear of the aircraft.

I get why they're using F18s and not F35/F22 for the movie, as they weren't going to get that access, but the premise that we don't have Gen5 aircraft to fight their Gen5 aircraft is idiotic, particularly since there is an F35/F22 (I can't tell the difference in passing) in the opening scene of the movie.

The black guy that follows Maverick through the whole movie...that's not how the military works!  Dude can't be running a test flight program, then be a Top Gun instructor/staffer, then be running an aircraft carrier's launch/capture ops.

Aircraft Carrier w/o their support group anywhere in sight, yet cruise missiles are fired from nowhere...and on the same flight path as the planes?

Something they did in the OG and carried over again - refusal to launch support aircraft, and when they do, it's only 1 plane.  That's not how that works at all.

All pretty minor Hollywood stuff and certainly doesn't impact the movie for the masses, just my OCD and understanding of how those ops go.  

F-35C was the one in the opening scene.  

The Death Star trench run design of the big challenge ruined it all for me.  You can still make a movie about old school pilotage and teamwork yada yada with some close in dogfighting and ground striking without crafting a scenario where the use of manned conventional (non stealth) aircraft is the WORST approach and least likely to succeed.  The cruise missiles, particularly tomahawks, would themselves fly roughly the same speed as the Hornets and would be subject to the same anti aircraft dangers as the rest of the flyers.  If it's going to be CGI anyway, make them JASSMs at least.  And use some Growlers and show that side of the engagement, detection, jamming, it can still be a movie!  You CAN adapt to the times just a little bit, it will still be fun

Old Top Gun and new Top Gun alike many times made ejection a central theme and made it clear it's a dangerous thing in its own right, except we just started the movie with a Mach 10 RUD at 200k feet agl and cut to Mav walking into a diner asking for some water.

Same with the G forces, it's relevant only after Maverick and Rooster do a death spiral 90 degrees to the ground.  Typical movie stuff, but having just a modicum of respect for the subject matter would go a long way.  

Agreed on Hondo, he went from black project testing leader or what have you, to useless but loveable and chubby sidekick status in an instant.  

The maneuver of choice time and time again to gain the upper hand in their crafted dogfights is the cobra, renowned the world over as an airshow gimmick, and utterly useless in combat.  Not to mention the Hornet and especially Tomcat can't do it, but yes, here it works vs an opponent with thrust vectoring.  There's other ways to do this that doesn't result in nonsense.  I guess I'm in the minority but the technical side of this movie struck well below average even for Hollywood action, and that's saying something 

6 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

I saw this scene as an homage to....

Thanks for that, forgot how good The Right Stuff was, last saw it when I was 7 I think, I should watch it again.   Homage or not, this scene is bang on from a technical sense, complete apples to oranges to what the Top Gun hypersonic test scene went 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

During our rewatch of the OG on Saturday, my wife made the comment that McGillis is unattractive and manly. Never thought about it before but I think her being manly with the deep voice fits it being a totally gay movie so Tom could get his freak on, on screen without upsetting Xenu.

Your wife is a fantastic judge of deep-seated beauty or lack there of. Here’s McGillis 35 years later. 

919AD107-DB0F-4512-B181-4B085FE6175B.jpeg

4 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Is it just me, or did the movie go out of its way to not name who the enemy was?  I mean it seemed clear it was Russia, but I don't think they were even named, with respect to the aircraft or even the target location. 

"Rogue State" is as far as they went.  Only thing Russian about them were the Su-57s, but then again they also had F-14s.  Iran would very loosely fit the bill 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

The snowy mountain terrain plus advanced anti-air and fighter jets makes it Russia or China.

They leave it vague so they can still sell tickets in China.

China has J-20s and is a nuclear power, ditto for Russia, so the impetus for attacking at all is a non starter if they're supposed to be either of these nations.  It's modelled more after Iran or Lybia, client states of the major military industrial powers, buying stuff like jets and SAMs

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Then some rogue-a-stan nation. Kind of like the bad guys in Crimson Tide.

The bad guys in Crimson Tide were Russian separatists who had staged a coup with brief success and gained control of the Russian nuclear apparatus....it wasn't a mystery.

Well, all I can really remember about that movie is Gene Hackman and Denzel yelling at each other, and something about the Silver Surfer.
Everybody who reads comic books knows that the Kirby Silver Surfer is the only true Silver Surfer. Now am I right or wrong?
  • Hook 'Em 6

Saw this yesterday on the best IMAX screen in Philadelphia. It was perfect. Can’t think of a better sequel aside from Godfather 2 that is better than the original. 

lol at plot nit picks. Like Maverick says, stop thinking when you watch this. It is a perfect movie for your brain to be turned off and enjoy Tom Cruise doing what he does best. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Saw it this afternoon.    Enjoyed it a lot.   Sure, plot holes and cheesy nostalgia but I loved it.    Some lines from the original made it in as well.

I could have sworn they named the country as Iran.  And....   outside of the U.S. Navy they were the only country to fly them.   Iran makes sense to some degree and in 2.5 minutes at 450 knots you could be 18 +/- miles inside their borders within 2.5 minutes.   

• Hook 'Em 1

I never saw the original Top Gun so I watched it on Netflix last night. It was okay. I saw Maverick today and it was amazing. 10x better than the first movie. Great action and lots of feels.

Coincidentally, I watched it on 4dx which was interesting. I liked it but those seats are not designed for people over 6 get tall. It's super cramped.

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Saw it this afternoon.    Enjoyed it a lot.   Sure, plot holes and cheesy nostalgia but I loved it.    Some lines from the original made it in as well.

I could have sworn they named the country as Iran.  And....   outside of the U.S. Navy they were the only country to fly them.   Iran makes sense to some degree and in 2.5 minutes at 450 knots you could be 18 +/- miles inside their borders within 2.5 minutes.   

I enjoyed the original lines as well. 

On 5/29/2022 at 11:09 AM, Mittens said:

Saw it yesterday and have to say it was pretty damn good.  Pleasantly surprised and definitely recommend.  My nitpiks:

Hide contents

Could the attack run be any bigger ripoff from Star Wars? Very sneaky how they changed the target size from 2m to 3m though.

When they're on the final attack run, I think when Rooster finally gets his shit together and is making the climb, you can see a GoPro mounted on the rear of the aircraft.

I get why they're using F18s and not F35/F22 for the movie, as they weren't going to get that access, but the premise that we don't have Gen5 aircraft to fight their Gen5 aircraft is idiotic, particularly since there is an F35/F22 (I can't tell the difference in passing) in the opening scene of the movie.

The black guy that follows Maverick through the whole movie...that's not how the military works!  Dude can't be running a test flight program, then be a Top Gun instructor/staffer, then be running an aircraft carrier's launch/capture ops.

Aircraft Carrier w/o their support group anywhere in sight, yet cruise missiles are fired from nowhere...and on the same flight path as the planes?

Something they did in the OG and carried over again - refusal to launch support aircraft, and when they do, it's only 1 plane.  That's not how that works at all.

All pretty minor Hollywood stuff and certainly doesn't impact the movie for the masses, just my OCD and understanding of how those ops go.  

no, it’s not just your OCD - I didn’t like that country ‘X’ had more advanced aircraft either

Fuk yea.  Saw it in IMAX last night.  Love the original, so had no doubt this one would be better action with today's movie technology. Some throwback things were a little overboard like Rooster playing piano and dressing JUST like Goose.  But the rest was great nostalgia.

Intro song always gets the blood flowing...

Only complaint is the new music sucked.  When playing football....and when he took Penny on a ride 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/28/2022 at 2:19 PM, Paco said:

It's perfectly okay for you to think this movie was "mediocre". You said it yourself: you were born in the 80's, which means it's impossible for you to understand the context of the original, and therefore impossible to understand why so many of us loved Top Gun 2.

The majority of us on this site were born in the 60's and 70's. We were children of the cold war. We grew up in a country trying to heal from Vietnam. We didn't have very many war movies, and the ones we did have painted our military in a very bad light (and rightly so). The US military was broken in the 70's, and was in the midst of a total rebuild in the 80's. But I don't expect you to understand that.

Having your opinion is one thing, but then calling others blow hards and saying you're just smarter than everyone else is some blistering irony. But I don't expect you to understand that either, because it's the very nature of a truly stupid blow hard douche bag to be completely unaware of of your horrible personality.

TLDR: you are a douche of the highest order. Have a nice day.

Would pos rep again if I could.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah….an almost superfluous character….but I don’t give a shit.
She’s been near my #1 since I saw her in Labyrinth (we’re about the same age), and she remains there.

Actually, she was his new beginning even if they had been there before.   She was something to start new with.  Again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1