SEC! SEC!

High Plains Drifter

I read a couple of articles awhile back that linked heart disease in the south to slavery. 

There is a strong negative correlation between the number of enslaved people in a county in 1860 and black life expectancy today,” said Reece. “That means black people in the South who live in places where there were more slaves tend to have shorter life expectancies

https://research.utexas.edu/showcase/articles/view/black-life-expectancy-in-southern-us-directly-affected-by-legacy-of-slavery-study-shows

https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/prc/our-research/prc-brief-series/2022-research-briefs/legacy-of-slavery-and-life-expectancy.html

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mortality-black-belt/amp/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Kinda surprised at my homeland (the RGV) being in the blue, knowing the overall health issues in communities that are some of the poorest in the country. And all of the southwest border looks actually pretty damn good. 

My theory is that tamales increase life expectancy, and I am now seeking grants to fund this vital work. We could save so many lives.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Kinda surprised at my homeland (the RGV) being in the blue, knowing the overall health issues in communities that are some of the poorest in the country. And all of the southwest border looks actually pretty damn good. 

It’s all those midwestern snowbirds retiring permanently to the Winnebago parks down there.

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Latinos like sex? I mean it, not the best diets but they sure do live well. 

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Long but really informative thread full of charts on US life expectancy compared to Britain. Our average is the same as the worst place in England.

Perhaps there's something to be said for taking that wee dram of whisky before turning in for the night.

Another thing about South Florida is the retirement Mecca. If that is where you go when you reach your late 60s and 70s then it makes sense it would make the area bluer. If you look demographically at people who have made it to 70 - they will probably make it to 80. And if everyone back in your original state including you were gobbling fried chicken and drinking Crisco apéritif’s - you still made it to 70.  So when you move to Dade or Broward county, you are still going to up the blueness. 

23 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I read a couple of articles awhile back that linked heart disease in the south to slavery. 

There is a strong negative correlation between the number of enslaved people in a county in 1860 and black life expectancy today,” said Reece. “That means black people in the South who live in places where there were more slaves tend to have shorter life expectancies

https://research.utexas.edu/showcase/articles/view/black-life-expectancy-in-southern-us-directly-affected-by-legacy-of-slavery-study-shows

https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/prc/our-research/prc-brief-series/2022-research-briefs/legacy-of-slavery-and-life-expectancy.html

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mortality-black-belt/amp/

Is this study saying that white people in the South have higher life expectancy than white people living elsewhere in the US?  Because i find that very hard to believe.

“There is a strong negative correlation between the number of enslaved people in a county in 1860 and black life expectancy today,” said Reece. “That means black people in the South who live in places where there were more slaves tend to have shorter life expectancies. The reverse is true for white people; theirs is a positive correlation, meaning white people who live in places where there were more slaves tend to have longer life expectancies.”

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Is this study saying that white people in the South have higher life expectancy than white people living elsewhere in the US?  Because i find that very hard to believe.

“There is a strong negative correlation between the number of enslaved people in a county in 1860 and black life expectancy today,” said Reece. “That means black people in the South who live in places where there were more slaves tend to have shorter life expectancies. The reverse is true for white people; theirs is a positive correlation, meaning white people who live in places where there were more slaves tend to have longer life expectancies.”

Sounds like it. I haven't read the article in a couple years, I just shared it here. The take away for me was basically former confederate states, with higher populations of african americans than other states, and also their shorter life expectancy likely brings down the whole average life span for those states. Probably almost as much as the existence and prevalence of sweet tea in said states.  

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sounds like it. I haven't read the article in a couple years, I just shared it here. The take away for me was basically former confederate states, with higher populations of african americans than other states, and also their shorter life expectancy likely brings down the whole average life span for those states. Probably almost as much as the existence and prevalence of sweet tea in said states.  

I think the article is trying to make a point that isn't there.  Whites have a higher life expectancy in every state, no matter the slavery history.

And former slave states, i.e. the South, have lower life expectancy no matter the race.

https://www.livescience.com/18835-race-lifespan-states.html

I don't get outside of Austin proper much. Don't venture much to Derka's domain, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Kyle, etc. But around Austin proper which is where I mostly hang out, people are most definitely much much much skinnier than people in other major cities. Much of that is Austin is full of younger people. Those younger people are surrounded by other skinny younger people. They aren't getting laid if they are fat. But Austin has Murder Lake, I mean Town Lake, and Austin and Travis lakes. Our summers revolve around being on those lakes. No one wants to be the fat dude on the lake. And we have a higher per capita % of college educated people in Austin. Smarter, driven people tend not to be fat slobs.

Edited by crash_davis

33 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Overlay that map with an obesity map. I'm sure it's mostly the same.

I spent some time in Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama the last couple of years and it's fat people all over the place.  Just an eye opening number of fat families.  Fat parents with fat kids and fat grandparents in scooters and wheelchairs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Basil said:

I spent some time in Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama the last couple of years and it's fat people all over the place.  Just an eye opening number of fat families.  Fat parents with fat kids and fat grandparents in scooters and wheelchairs.

No need to go out of state. Go to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. You will see Texas in all of it's glory, and there's a shitton of it to see.

I took friend and his family from France to Schlitterbahn. I think they are traumatized for life. 

I could have sworn I read something on here the other day about life expectancy numbers and the big decline. 

Obviously issues like obesity are at play, but I believe that gun deaths and drug overdoses (especially with fentanyl) really dragged the averages down because those killed people usually at much lower ages.

I don't know what it's like to live in other countries, but when I've visited, I'm always impressed at how much more "livable" the places seemed to be. Slower paced, more focused on people instead of business, fewer stressors like automobile traffic, advertising, and noise. 

Buy, hey, we get Buc-ees. Who wants 10 more years of life anyway?

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

No need to go out of state. Go to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. You will see Texas in all of it's glory, and there's a shitton of it to see.

I took friend and his family from France to Schlitterbahn. I think they are traumatized for life. 

Take a Carnival cruise and hang out by the buffet.  

im-not-fat-full-figured.gif