Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

18 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Tulsa experienced a wind storm Saturday night with 100mph winds.  A term I’ve never heard Derecho and a storm unlike I’ve ever seen inland.  200,000+ still without power including your favorite Okie. Small hurricane/tropical storm like damage is widespread.

Not as hot as Austin but 95F, high humidity, and no A/C sucks donkey nuts.

https://www.fox23.com/news/local/the-makings-of-green-countrys-powerful-weekend-derecho/article_0d26cee6-0ef0-11ee-8883-c7919549c338.html

So, yeah.  Oklahoma's governor is in France, but didn't bother to tell anyone.  The Lt. Governor is out of state as well, but hey!  He didn't bother to tell anyone either.  So, this afternoon this happened:

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/update-state-of-emergency-declared-for-10-eastern-oklahoma-counties/article_49566dc2-0eaa-11ee-9ab5-7ba808306e58.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Senate Pro Tem Greg Treat, R-Oklahoma City, on Tuesday signed an executive order declaring a state of emergency for Choctaw, Creek, Delaware, Harper, Mayes, Pawnee, Payne, Rogers, Tulsa and Wagoner counties.

The pro tem was notified he was acting governor by the Governor’s Office around 1 p.m. Tuesday, according to a news release.

Treat said he has yet to hear directly from Gov. Kevin Stitt regarding the emergency declaration but has been in communication with Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum.

Stitt and Lt. Gov. Matt Pinnell are out of state. According to the Oklahoma Constitution, when both the governor and lieutenant governor are out of state, the power then falls to the Senate President Pro Tempore.

The only satisfaction the hellscape gives me is knowing the douchehat in my complex who revs his ninja going through the parking lot is cooking his balls off.

That loser wears the whole black leather fast and furious get up. I hope he has a heat stroke.

Edited by MissingInAction
Fuuuui
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

In the yellow, voluntary conservation has kicked in.

https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards

I'm sure all the commercial businesses are dialing down their electricity use...wait no.  They are continuing to do what they do while us plebs are supposed to pick up the slack.  My AC for my 2000 sq ft house being 4 degrees warmer is definitely gonna do it.  Every grocery store in Austin running their AC and coolers with wide open doors...keep doing what you're doing.

• Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

In the yellow, voluntary conservation has kicked in.

https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards

LMPs statewide are around $4,500 per MWh.  Note that the new maximum LMP is $5,000 per MWh (it was $9,000 per MWh during the 2021 freeze).  The costs being incurred in this heatwave are....enormous.  Utilities plan ahead for this sort of demand and pricing in August.  Not June.

• Like 1

Yes, it's hot, but I'm calling BS on weather folks.

It seems like all the weather sites, including NWS, weather.com,  accuweather.com, as well as local TV, etc, are all trying to claim the hottest Feels Like or Heat Index.

NWS for Austin 6/20 7:10PM:

image.png.39641f032386fd2a5d0dc59a7140d00c.png

Accuweather.com   - Austin tomorrow 6/21

image.png.64f5a669751a11bc23eb60240b64c352.png

97 feeling like 114?  Really? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Going to my first Austin FC game tomorrow.  Yay.

Austin Frying Club
Can someone splain it to me? I'm a Texan. I've lived through plenty of 100+ days, but this heat wave just seems hotter. Is there some atmospheric thing that makes 2023 100 degrees hotter than 2008 100 degrees? I know I'm 15 years older than 2008, but come on! I spent time outside in 2008, not so much today.

It is hotter and you are older. One-two punch.

1 hour ago, troph said:

We never had two weeks of 106 in June it was not a thing 25 years ago. 

It actually hit 113 somewhere in Austin one day 12 or 13 years ago, IIRC, but wasn’t that bad on my shady patio.

4D6F2873-4F2F-4976-BBDA-E9FE989D0341.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

10 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I have to say two weeks ago I did not think we would be talking about all time record highs right now.

Two weeks ago for the 15th time I was remarking how idyllic our spring had been. Like one of the best I could recall. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Two weeks ago for the 15th time I was remarking how idyllic our spring had been. Like one of the best I could recall. 

Went to shit quick for sure. I picked a good week to go to Florida for sailing and boating. Not looking forward to coming back to Austin on Sunday. Brutal