Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

28 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

My wife will go to the garage to get a Coke from the fridge. She will leave the door to the kitchen open when she goes out and you can see the wave of heat roll into the house . Uhh can you shut the door behind you? “Why? It’s not the door to the outside.”

God... yeah... right now as we suffer through our semi-HVAC situation, stepping into the garage is unbearable.  Stuffy, so hot.  And yeah, setting the A/C to 60 when it is 108 outside isn't going to do squat.  A/C guy and I were talking about it... an A/C can only do so much.  You might get to 80 at 5:00 PM.  The night is where you catch back up.

Didn't y'all ever watch Disney's "Fantasia", you know, the dinosaur scene where they are just wandering around, eating one another, and minding their own business. Then...BOOM!! Mother Nature gets tired of all that shit and wants a change. Ain't nothing any man, woman, child, or dinosaur can do. If Mother Nature wants a change, she is going to have a gotdamn change. We are a gnat on an elephant's butt. Nothing we can do. 

tl/dr: We're fucked.

Timeline Of Mass Extinction Events On Earth

Extinction Event Approximate Time Of Occurrence
Ordovician–Silurian extinction events 439 million years ago
Late Devonian extinction 364 million years ago
Permian–Triassic extinction event 251 million years ago
Triassic–Jurassic extinction event 199 million to 214 million years ago
Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event 65 million years ago
Holocene extinction Present (Ongoing)

4 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Didn't y'all ever watch Disney's "Fantasia", you know, the dinosaur scene where they are just wandering around, eating one another, and minding their own business. Then...BOOM!! Mother Nature gets tired of all that shit and wants a change. Ain't nothing any man, woman, child, or dinosaur can do. If Mother Nature wants a change, she is going to have a gotdamn change. We are a gnat on an elephant's butt. Nothing we can do. 

tl/dr: We're fucked.

Timeline Of Mass Extinction Events On Earth

Extinction Event Approximate Time Of Occurrence
Ordovician–Silurian extinction events 439 million years ago
Late Devonian extinction 364 million years ago
Permian–Triassic extinction event 251 million years ago
Triassic–Jurassic extinction event 199 million to 214 million years ago
Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event 65 million years ago
Holocene extinction Present (Ongoing)

Hell, I'm all in!  Look all the vicious creatures we have on this planet.  Take at Australia, Arizona, California, Texas, etc.  Enough to make you want to spend four days in space, but when you return it's the same old place.

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

God... yeah... right now as we suffer through our semi-HVAC situation, stepping into the garage is unbearable.  Stuffy, so hot.  And yeah, setting the A/C to 60 when it is 108 outside isn't going to do squat.  A/C guy and I were talking about it... an A/C can only do so much.  You might get to 80 at 5:00 PM.  The night is where you catch back up.

Night + morning is where you make your bones. I get the upstairs up to 67 and it keeps the whole house under 71-72 during the bad times. 

Another thing is I will always have 2 separate AC systems so at least one is about 99% sure to be running. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Another thing is I will always have 2 separate AC systems so at least one is about 99% sure to be running. 

This is the way.  My downstairs A/C conked out first week of June but the upstairs was doing just fine.  Good timing that the boy was off at Annapolis for their summer seminar week so I just moved into his room for the two days it took to get back up and running.  No biggie.

Long power outages are a different story.  Mother of fuck it gets hot damn quick when nothing is running.

What pisses me off about this weather, is after I go for my late afternoon run and then get in my backyard barrel sauna for 20 minutes, my hot tub circuit breaker is always tripped because the external heat makes the temperature go above 105. 

The extra 20 steps to walk to the sub panel to flip the breaker is a major drag.

Also, my wife sets the house temperature to 73 which feels really cool to me.

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

What pisses me off about this weather, is after I go for my late afternoon run and then get in my backyard barrel sauna for 20 minutes, my hot tub circuit breaker is always tripped because the external heat makes the temperature go above 105. 

The extra 20 steps to walk to the sub panel to flip the breaker is a major drag.

Also, my wife sets the house temperature to 73 which feels really cool to me.

What's masochism like?

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Okie State said:

It felt pretty damn good outside tonight. Checked the temp and it said 99 heat index still. Didn't feel like that to me. Maybe I'm just turning into a lizard.

Just came in from watering my small garden. Nice breeze, beer was cold. Was not that bad at all. 

House is set at 85, AC handling everything so far. Will drop it down to 78 here in a bit.

I live with a Canadian. Fucker bitches all the time. Wants to be a snow monkey. 

• Like 1

https://www.kxan.com/llano-county/officials-responding-to-large-fire-in-llano-county/

A brush fire that began burning at a ranch Thursday afternoon has now grown to scorch 500 acres and is 40% contained as of 10:20 p.m.

Officials said no homes have been lost, but 12 were now threatened.   Air support and dozers are expected to will keep working on building firelines overnight.

The Llano County Office of Emergency Management posted on its Facebook page that at least 10 agencies are now responding to the fire located near East Highway 71 and County Road 307. Crews also have CR 307 shut down right now due to the ongoing response. 

By 6 p.m., there were nearly 20 agencies responding to the fire, including 13 volunteer fire departments.

We have friends who are near this, but not threatened by it, and they were joking that they wouldn’t mind some large areas burning off in the area now (but no homes obviously) just so there’s nothing to burn in a month or two.  

I would hope the state has upped its game in the last several years.

Posting in somewhat solidarity. It was 96 here in PA yesterday, it's currently at 9:45 am 84 degrees with 66 percent humidity. 

I fucking hate the summer. Worst season by far and the only reason anyone likes it is because we have memories of our childhood and it was the only time we had off from school so we see it as paradise. 

Godspeed to all who are living where it's in the extremes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Posting in somewhat solidarity. It was 96 here in PA yesterday, it's currently at 9:45 am 84 degrees with 66 percent humidity. 

I fucking hate the summer. Worst season by far and the only reason anyone likes it is because we have memories of our childhood and it was the only time we had off from school so we see it as paradise. 

Godspeed to all who are living where it's in the extremes. 

Hey. We're here for you. This is a safe space.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Yep solidarity post too.  90 here in OC and the sun is relentless.  It does cool down around 5 and it's ok if you can find shade.  But, life is no beach out here.

High of 89 at 2:00 pm today, humidity 29%, producing a heat index of....89. Back down to 70 by bed time. High 60's when you wake up tomorrow morning.

Thoughts and prayers!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

1. Lows in the 60's every morning and evening.

2. Humidity below 40%. "Feels like" temps = actual temps.

Doesn't count.

Spent a week in WA state - actually had to put on a hoodie in the early morning taking calls on the patio with coffee.  It was awful......;)

4 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Bingo. It's an artifact of youth. You don't care if it's 100 degrees when you're 12 years old and your only concern for 3 straight months is where you are swimming that day and which friend you're spending the night with. 

Also, all the songs about how awesome Summer is are written by northerners and Californians. I'd probably think it was pretty great too when it tops out at 86 out on the lake or beach and then it cools down enough in the evening to need a light jacket out by the bonfire.

Summer in the South is atonement for the Civil War.

I think we also remember 98 degrees and some afternoon rain... right now its 108 and you'll have no rain and like it.  That's the new normal.  Sucks.

I do appreciate jumping into Lake Austin or Barton Springs or a pool and feeling a little away from it all for a while so at least summer gives me that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Bingo. It's an artifact of youth. You don't care if it's 100 degrees when you're 12 years old and your only concern for 3 straight months is where you are swimming that day and which friend you're spending the night with. 

Also, all the songs about how awesome Summer is are written by northerners and Californians. I'd probably think it was pretty great too when it tops out at 86 out on the lake or beach and then it cools down enough in the evening to need a light jacket out by the bonfire.

Summer in the South is atonement for the Civil War.

Plus mosquitoes can fuck off. No mosquitoes in winter. 

Although here in PA it's been so dry we don't have many this summer (yet) thankfully. What we lack in mosquitoes we do make it up Japanese laternflies and they're almost as evil.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

I think we also remember 98 degrees and some afternoon rain... right now its 108 and you'll have no rain and like it.  That's the new normal.  Sucks.

I do appreciate jumping into Lake Austin or Barton Springs or a pool and feeling a little away from it all for a while so at least summer gives me that.  

I was thinking about this the other day so I looked up the daily highs in Austin when I was 10 in 1990. The first half of July was pretty hot but look at the relief we got after that:

77 67 1.75
78 68 0.07
90 71 0.10
86 73 0.04
85 70 0.27
90 70 0.00
93 73 0.00
93 74 0.00
90 74 0.57
88 75 0.00
93 75 0.14
94 73 0.00
94 75 0.00
96 76 0.00
98 75 0.00
95 76 0.00
93 72

We also had days of 70/50 in EARLY October.

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, used to be you could rely on some storms spinning up in the daytime heat from the Gulf and it would cool off a bit after 3pm.

Now?

Season 2 Hydration GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I am a pussified child of new Texas. My mother was picking cotton at 5 in 37. Living in a dirt floor shack. Can’t imagine that heat and having to work in it. My parents would turn the AC to 64 and build a big fire in July.

Then there were my relatives that refused to turn on AC before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Uhhh if it’s 98 in November I want my fucking AC on. Or bought cars without AC.

When I moved to Portland in 99 houses werent air conditioned. Well it only gets hot for a month. Who needs it? “Uhh in Texas it gets cold for about a month. I have central heat”. My first night in heat it sent me back to my hot ass grandparents house in 1963. Had to order a couple of window units

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, used to be you could rely on some storms spinning up in the daytime heat from the Gulf and it would cool off a bit after 3pm.

Now?

Season 2 Hydration GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Yep, I have good memories of my college apartment in the early 2000s on 30th street where we would go out on my west-facing balcony and drink beers and watch the summer storms roll in.  Temps would drop a good 10 degrees and it was almost a daily occurrence.  Or at least weekly.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm going to upsize the fuck out of my next AC system. I have a 2.5-ton serving 2700sqft, and a 1-ton for 400sqft. The house has spray foam and was energy certified and shit. 

A 2-stage compressor should eliminate most oversizing problems. I have thought about fully variable, but I hate the added complexity and having to use their thermostat. Parts also cost way more. But, you do get a fuckton of live data from the system that's impossible to get with a regular 1 or 2 stage. 

We didn’t have air conditioning in my home in Victoria until I was 10 (also didn’t have A/C at school until then).  It was hot as fuck some days.  But never like this.  Back then, even on the hottest days, after playing outside all day you could always get cool enough by drinking ice water in front of a box fan.  It was never like this.  

We have oaks that shade every side of our home and most of our roof throughout the day, and my AC has been running 14 hrs/day for the last 2 months.  We set at 76 during the day and 72 at night.

Edited by Snake Diggity

I spent last week in Boston enjoying 75-82 day temp, 68 night temp weather. I was watching the Austin temps all week dreading flying back. On Saturday going through TSA the asshole says, "Texas, huh. When are you moving from there? You know it's only going to get hotter every year, right?"

Random assholes are now reminding me why I need to move TF out of this state.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I spent last week in Boston enjoying 75-82 day temp, 68 night temp weather. I was watching the Austin temps all week dreading flying back. On Saturday going through TSA the asshole says, "Texas, huh. When are you moving from there? You know it's only going to get hotter every year, right?"

Tell those people to stifle themselves.  Texas is booming!  Get on board while there’s still some seats!!

May be an image of fishing rod and text that says 'Gotta take advantage of this heat!'

Edited by closetohumping
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

tenor (5).gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1