RIP Ryan Mallett

Horn Under a Bad Sign

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Wife has a friend in Florida that says beaches are closed for bad riptide/undertow but tourists won’t be told, and are going out anyway. And several have drowned. 

Peyton Hillis nearly drowned recently while saving his son and niece in a Florida riptide.  Spent awhile in the hospital afterwards.  He and Mallett just missed being teammates at Arky since Mallett initially went to Michigan.

https://abc7ny.com/peyton-hillis-accident-rip-current-rescue/13377348/

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wife has a friend in Florida that says beaches are closed for bad riptide/undertow but tourists won’t be told, and are going out anyway. And several have drowned. 

Yea I saw an aerial view posted a day or two ago and the sand was in a wave pattern right off shore due to the riptides.  

Edited by Hook1997

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I grew up surfing in Northern California. Mallett might not have been a genius, but they've taken smart strong swimmers out to sea plenty of times. RIP. Feel awful for his family.

45 degree angle back to shore or swim laterally and then straight back to shore.
Most people have no clue about this. A rip tide almost got me at Daytona one time. Luckily I was only 19 and had just finished lifeguard training a few weeks earlier so I knew what to do...but was still totally exhausted when my feet finally hit sand about 100 yards away from where the whole thing started.

Moral of the story? Don't swim out past where the water comes up chest high..and don't panic and try to swim straight back to the beach if current grabs you. Oh, and go easy on the beverages before hitting the water..but at that age it's easier said than done.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I'm still surprised that grown folks don't know how to spot, or know what to do if you're caught in one.

Remember that it doesn't pull you DOWN, so don't panic.

Swim parallel to shoreline until you'r out of it

You can even let it take you out until it dissipates, then go around it on your way back in

• Like 1

We were just in Panama City and the flags were yellow.  Red and double red flags mean stay the fuck out of the water.  I read these tides have claimed 11 people so far this season.  There is also no reason to get out past waist deep water without tubes/floats.  You can't physically beat the currents, so you have to conserve your strength and swim parallel to the shore until you can make it in.  So sad, but also so preventable.  

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

You can even let it take you out until it dissipates, then go around it on your way back in

That’s actually not great advice, as there’s probably a better than 50/50 chance it’ll dump you pretty far out off shore. You likely wont have the strength or energy to remain afloat at that point. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I'm still surprised that grown folks don't know how to spot, or know what to do if you're caught in one.

Remember that it doesn't pull you DOWN, so don't panic.

Swim parallel to shoreline until you'r out of it

To be fair, for people who do not grow up near the ocean, they are never taught much about it.   Just like in S. Florida, the youth don't really learn how to drive on snow/ice.  

You could let it take you out, but it is overall a better strategy to angle out of it.  Heard stories about people trying to swim straight back into the rip current when I was younger.  I don't know if it was true.   I wouldn't have cared to look it up, because well, I was naive and GI Joe and the Transformers were on. 

2 hours ago, ousux said:

Most people have no clue about this. A rip tide almost got me at Daytona one time. Luckily I was only 19 and had just finished lifeguard training a few weeks earlier so I knew what to do...but was still totally exhausted when my feet finally hit sand about 100 yards away from where the whole thing started.

Moral of the story? Don't swim out past where the water comes up chest high..and don't panic and try to swim straight back to the beach if current grabs you. Oh, and go easy on the beverages before hitting the water..but at that age it's easier said than done.

I swim out farther than that, it is really pretty wild when you can encounter a school of fish farther than the eye can see in both directions.  But I usually hang out closer to shore because of the kids.  

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This is the absolute truth. Wife and I were at the beach last weekend. All red flags due to riptides, and yet the water was full of idiots.

• Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Had to be rescued by a Lifeguard at Daytona Beach because I stupidly got caught up in a riptide, luckily Jr was tall enough to reach bottom and get himself out of it. 

4 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

This is the absolute truth. Wife and I were at the beach last weekend. All red flags due to riptides, and yet the water was full of idiots.

Just did some super in depth research on wiki to understand how riptides work. Makes it seem like they are pretty predictable, as they are the result of ebbing tide. Where as rip currents (new term for me) would be less predictable and the kind of thing that could catch people unaware and close stretches of beach that normally wouldn’t be. 

maybe riptide is used as a catch-all for strong outgoing water.  

sounds like trying to swim against them is like swimming upstream on a decently flowing river. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

RIP. That sucks.

Apparently he was coaching high school football.

https://www.deltaplexnews.com/white-hall-head-football-coach-ryan-mallett-drowns-in-florida/

He was recruited to Michigan by Lloyd Carr. He transferred to Arkansas when Rich Rodriguez took over because it was clear he wasn’t going to fit in RichRod’s system.

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He was recruited to Michigan by Lloyd Carr. He transferred to Arkansas when Rich Rodriguez took over because it was clear he wasn’t going to fit in RichRod’s system.

Based on his sterling 15-22 record, not many people did. 

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Based on his sterling 15-22 record, not many people did. 

RichRod might’ve made some adjustments to his system to accommodate the 5-star QB already on his roster rather than running him off. But nope, ol’ rich was moving his program lock, stock, and barrel to Ann Arbor from Morgantown including both his system and his Big East caliber recruiting. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

That’s actually not great advice, as there’s probably a better than 50/50 chance it’ll dump you pretty far out off shore. You likely wont have the strength or energy to remain afloat at that point. 

For all the dads (and a few moms) reading this I'd encourage swim training your kids how to float indefinitely and how to conserve their strength in the water.  I'm sure you can find videos on youtube but it's part of USMC swim training and presumably the Navy.  This isn't something we've seen taught by swim instructors in a pool setting. 

Edited by LCHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

RIP. That sucks.

Apparently he was coaching high school football.

https://www.deltaplexnews.com/white-hall-head-football-coach-ryan-mallett-drowns-in-florida/

Did we have a shot at him?  If so, what happened? Didn’t want to take on Colt? Did Butterteeth fuck it up?  If he went to Michigan, wouldn’t have been pay for play.

3 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

For all the dads (and a few moms) reading this I'd encourage swim training your kids how to float indefinitely and how to conserve their strength in the water.  I'm sure you can find videos on youtube but it's part of USMC swim training and presumably the Navy.  This isn't something we've seen taught by swim instructors in a pool setting. 

Men or people with lower body fat are going to have a very hard time floating indefinitely in water. 

55 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Men or people with lower body fat are going to have a very hard time floating indefinitely in water. 

Using a good survival stroke or drown-proofing, most fit people could last quite a while. An out-of-shape person should not be swimming in the ocean.

• Hook 'Em 1

The NW Florida coast rip tides are no joke, the much steeper beach break causes a massive amount of energy as the waves wash back.  And the rip gaps in the sandbars is also steeper and deeper relative to what you will find nearly anywhere else.  Blame the super fine white sand that makes it so beautiful.  The other bad thing that tourists do is dive into the waves without knowing that they are breaking in about 6 inches.  A few people get paralyzed every year along the panhandles white beaches.  They dive straight into the side of the first sandbar and break their necks.

I think the count is up to 9 drowings in the last 10 days or something terrible like that.  I am a super strong swimmer and they forced me out of the water unless I had a boogie board and fins a couple years ago.  But I think it was a single red flag not a double, but super hairy if you were not a super strong swimmer that understands you might get pushed out 100 yards offshore in a matter of 30 seconds.  

Sad for him and his family.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Wife and I were in belly/chest (both feet flat on the sand) deep water on the Texas coast and got caught off guard by the current. Both of us were 50 yards off shore and being pulled out further within 15 secs or so. Remembered the Jiminy Cricket swim safety video from elementary school in the 80's. Yelled for the wife, who was drifting out further, to swim parallel to the beach with me and we both got out of it within 30 secs, but it took all we had to get out. Swam back to the beach and once we both were on the sand we basically collapsed walking back to the tent and towels. Harry shit, and nobody had a clue we were in trouble.

“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could... fucking die trying to pee in the ocean.” – Ferris Bueller

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

As long as they remember to take off their silver-plated pot metal  necklace they bought off Amazon before they get in the water.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

My philosophy too. I’ll go waist deep but that’s about it. 

That’s ninja level piss tactic right there. 

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

Wife and I were in belly/chest (both feet flat on the sand) deep water on the Texas coast and got caught off guard by the current. Both of us were 50 yards off shore and being pulled out further within 15 secs or so. Remembered the Jiminy Cricket swim safety video from elementary school in the 80's. Yelled for the wife, who was drifting out further, to swim parallel to the beach with me and we both got out of it within 30 secs, but it took all we had to get out. Swam back to the beach and once we both were on the sand we basically collapsed walking back to the tent and towels. Harry shit, and nobody had a clue we were in trouble.

“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could... fucking die trying to pee in the ocean.” – Ferris Bueller

Well that wasn’t very nice of Harry. 

Glad you both made it to safety. It is some scary shit especially when a loved one is out there with you. 

• Haha 1

It was called drown proofing in scouts back in the 60’s. We taught it a summer camp and I’ve taught my son and granddaughters. It’s first about relaxing with the situation and saving energy. So many drown due to panic
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

It was called drown proofing in scouts back in the 60’s. We taught it a summer camp and I’ve taught my son and granddaughters. It’s first about relaxing with the situation and saving energy. So many drown due to panic

We called it "dead mans float" in the Corps.  I'm a little surprised I haven't heard of drown proofing even though I earned my lifesaving merit badge (at El Rancho Cima no less). 

• Hook 'Em 1