Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Serious candidate speculation? Just saw Dan Lanning on Twitter. I think Dabo missed his chance. DeBoer? Lane?

I don't know why half of the lists floating out there leave off Mike Norvell but I imagine he is a top candidate. Sark will get a call but I think he'd simply use it to get a fat bag out of Texas. DeBoer is really good but I wonder if Alabama will want a guy that's never worked at a blue blood in any capacity. Lanning and Lane hanging around too. Agree on Dabo, Alabama can't want a guy so entrenched in the past. Maybe Ryan Day wants a change of scenery.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

NIL did him in.  and Texas has deeper pockets.  'Bama had the best players because Saban won.  Not because "they're 'Bama".  Back to the way it was boys.  

@Wulaw Horn's Alabraska theory just got sped up, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I thought he’d make it another, or maybe two, seasons and then retire. As others have said the NIL has completely changed the landscape, and, he’s 72-years old. He’s won it all and I would bet his wife just wants to relax.

He’s one of the best.

I'm only surprised he's retiring at this moment because they were bringing back their starting QB next year and looked to be very well positioned for another run. Having talked so much about how much he enjoyed this team I am surprised he walked away from another year with Milroe.

13 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Have seen this multiple times (probably same rumor circulating). Very odd if true. Hope all is well with his family.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don't know why half of the lists floating out there leave off Mike Norvell but I imagine he is a top candidate. Sark will get a call but I think he'd simply use it to get a fat bag out of Texas. DeBoer is really good but I wonder if Alabama will want a guy that's never worked at a blue blood in any capacity. Lanning and Lane hanging around too. Agree on Dabo, Alabama can't want a guy so entrenched in the past. Maybe Ryan Day wants a change of scenery.

@Wulaw Horn's Alabraska theory just got sped up, that's for sure.

I'm only surprised he's retiring at this moment because they were bringing back their starting QB next year and looked to be very well positioned for another run. Having talked so much about how much he enjoyed this team I am surprised he walked away from another year with Milroe.

Have seen this multiple times (probably same rumor circulating). Very odd if true. Hope all is well with his family.

He's fine. He knows he has to be business as usual until he was ready to do what he did. Otherwise he doesn't have the control he always needs.

Just now, utee94 said:

Major Applewhite's already been a coach at Alabama, and he's currently already coaching in that same state.  Seems like a slam dunk hire to me.

Does Bama have a frumpy trainer?

Bama is due for a huge swing and miss in a coaching hire after saban. So here’s to them deciding James Franklin IS the best option. 

They swung and missed a lot in modern times prior to hitting the grand slam that is Saban.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I have a bad feeling that Paige Ruden is about to get a lot of surly phone calls and emails.

Crap, is that doxing? I figured it's a public website but don't want to have the poor woman inundated with emails from you sick bastards.

• Haha 1

I think that a lot of sites not giving Sark odds for potential replacement suggests that our program is getting up there with Georgia (and Kirby Smart who no one is mentioning either even though he’s from the Saban coaching tree too). Sark has worked too hard to get us (and himself) where we are to bail now.

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Without being too puss, it would seem on par for sark to really be a candidate and put us in some jam. We should be pressing Ryan Williams right this second and say…..Dan lanning there seems the most “scary” long term but would cut Oregon from recruiting ideally for a year or two. 

And I was a couple seconds late on calling him right about meow

I really hate this kind of talk. I'm glad you put "scary" in quotes because maybe you're mocking the notion yourself.

They will hire who they hire. They will recruit whomever they recruit. I don't give a fuck unless we're in direct competition for someone. The idea of being worried about a new coaching hire or player signing is antithetical to what I recall of my own football mentality a million years ago: let's fucking play. It don't make a shit.

The game has changed and become far more complicated and precise than when I last put on cleats for two a days in the August heat north of Houston. But the mentality of the player is always the same for when my father played or whomever takes the field in ten years.

Hiring a coach is a crapshoot anyway. It's a bad day for 'Bama football because they're losing one of the two seeming sure thing hires for head coach. The other guy is retired as well.

It's wide open, my friends. Let's get it on. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't know who you can hire that isn't money whipping someone to take the job. Following Saban is one of the most impossible tasks you can be given. It has to be someone that's either coached there before and will be instantly excitable to the fanbase or the next big thing who's willing to take the job. I think Dan Lanning fits the latter completely. Sark isn't leaving Texas. He's building something special here. You don't walk away from that to follow a legend. You make your own legend here. 

As far as what's next for Saban...Corse replacement on Gameday?

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire
  • Pancho locked this topic