The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

11 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Christian nationalism as a worldview is not new but the terms is. Indeed, a third of respondents said they had not heard of the term. For that reason, it’s impossible to say whether the ranks of Christian nationalists have grown over time.

In their book “Taking America Back for God: Christian Nationalism in the United States,” sociologists Andrew Whitehead and Sam Perry found that about 20% of Americans strongly embrace Christian nationalist ideas. The PRRI survey is more in line with a 2021 Pew Research survey that found that 10% of Americans are what Pew identified as hard-core “faith and flag” conservatives.

Whatever the precise number, the survey confirms that by a ratio of 2-to-1, Americans reject a Christian nationalist worldview.

The vast majority of Americans (70%) do not think the government should declare America a Christian nation. And nearly 60% do not think its laws should be based on Christian values.

Coincidentally, about the same percentage of votes the nazis got in the 1933 election that led directly to his dictatorship...

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

I remember back in the day when those "studies" would come out about how like 20% of Muslims thought political/religious violence was justified, and it would be broken down like .5% think it's often justified, 1.5% think it's sometimes justified, 18% think it's rarely justified or whatever. This is kind of like that, except a shitload larger percentage of American evangelicals believe violence is more than rarely justified, and of that much larger percentage, a lot more lean toward sometimes to often than rarely.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Driving through the middle of North Carolina right now and have passed two massive confederate flags. They weren’t flying in someone’s front yard or something, they were like a prominent town display. Fucking hell. 

Do you mind sharing where these were? Asking for myself.

40 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Nope, Chick-fil-a has gone woke, cause only gays eat veggies. 

Commies.  Only commies eat veggies.

4.jpg

When decorating your meal, make sure to arrange the onions in the shape of Peter Lorre's face. It's steak a la Ugarte!

Garnish with small, inedible onions. WARNING! The carrots here are not to be eaten. Vegetables are for commies. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Commies.  Only commies eat veggies.

4.jpg

When decorating your meal, make sure to arrange the onions in the shape of Peter Lorre's face. It's steak a la Ugarte!

Garnish with small, inedible onions. WARNING! The carrots here are not to be eaten. Vegetables are for commies. 

You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre contemplating a crime.

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Around Hickory

Thanks Biff. 

I have had the good fortune of driving around a lot of the country. I remember the big ass confederate (battle flag of Northern Virginia) practically flying across the Interstate in Tennessee. I was not gruntled. 

35 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Looks like our man @HamsterHookah has begun his standard downhill slide towards banishment.  Is this #4 or #5?

I'll make a deal with you, come back as @HonkeyVape and I'll promise to pos rep your first post.

It's closer to 8 or so. It was discussed in a thread in "Please do this better" but I am way too lazy to track it down.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, VRHorn said:

It's closer to 8 or so. It was discussed in a thread in "Please do this better" but I am way too lazy to track it down.

just browsed that real quick and immamac stated he'd been ip banned back in June of last year. Guess I have couple of pages to read as to why he was let back in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just browsed that real quick and immamac stated he'd been ip banned back in June of last year. Guess I have couple of pages to read as to why he was let back in.

For someone who has an IQ even approaching triple digits, and IP ban won't mean shit. Then again, maybe that is sufficient in this case.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The Wyoming Republican Party is seeking to kill a bill working its way through the state Legislature proposing to raise the state's legal marriage age to 16, arguing that putting "arbitrary" limits on child marriage interferes with parental rights and religious liberty.

The bill—which already passed the Republican-controlled Wyoming House of Representatives on a 36-25 vote late last month—proposes banning state residents from marrying anyone under the age of 16, while requiring anyone under the age of 18 seeking to get married to receive written consent from their parents under the eye of a competent witness.

The debate has been a longstanding one in Wyoming.

Currently, Wyoming is one of just eight states in the country—including California, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Washington and West Virginia—without a minimum age requirement for marriage, and it currently ranks among the top ten states in the country for child marriages, according to a 2021 study by advocacy group Unchained at Last.

This year, however, a proposal in Wyoming to impose an age floor of 16 has found favor with some Republicans in the state, leading to the first real momentum the bill has seen in some time. Earlier this week, the Wyoming Senate voted up the bill on first reading, leaving it just two more votes before it would ultimately head to Governor Mark Gordon's desk.

It's essentially a do-nothing bill: According to Unchained at Last, an anti-child marriage advocacy group, approximately 97 percent of child marriages in Wyoming are to girls aged 16 and 17, meaning it would likely impact only a small number of children.

"It's really great the legislators want to protect 3 percent of those who are impacted by child marriage," Frady Reiss, founder of Unchained At Last and a forced marriage survivor, told Newsweek. "But to us, if you're failing to protect 97 percent of the people you're claiming to protect, you don't really have the right to get to brag about that. To me, it's just the bill is not even worth the paper that it's printed on at that point."

The Wyoming Republican Party, however, is urging its constituents to oppose it not because the bill is too weak, but because it believed the bill stood to rob their constituents of constitutional rights in ways the "seemingly harmless" bill did not immediately make clear.

To make the point, the party shared materials in a Thursday evening email to constituents containing talking points from Wyoming Family Watch, a religious lobbying group organized by a conservative pastor in the state.

Among other points, the letter argued that preventing children under 16 years old from marrying "denies the fundamental purpose of marriage," robbing teen parents from the ability to remain together under one roof for any children they might bear together—even though nothing in state law would prevent those children from co-parenting.

"Since young men and women may be physically capable of begetting and bearing children prior to the age of 16, marriage MUST remain open to them for the sake of those children," the post read. "The sad fact that physical maturity often does not match emotional and intellectual maturity is an indictment of our modern educational system. That is a problem that should be addressed. But we should not use it as an excuse to instantiate bad law."

SAN DIEGO —  

An Oceanside man who threatened to kill Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York in a voicemail message left at Schumer’s Washington, D.C., office was sentenced Friday to five months in prison.

Johnathan Ryan McGuire was charged with sending a profane message to the Senate majority leader in which he threatened to “blow your (expletive) head off” and “send some bullets your way,” according to an FBI agent’s affidavit filed in San Diego federal court.

The caller, who included several antisemitic and homophobic slurs in his message, also stated, “Yeah, you guys are real upset huh? You can’t murder babies anymore.”

Schumer’s staff notified police of the message, which was received on May 3, 2022, and came from a phone number attributed to McGuire, according to court documents.

The affidavit also alleges that U.S. Capitol Police have documented “numerous threats by McGuire to various members of U.S. Congress and a USCP officer” between 2019 and 2021, which were allegedly sent by phone and email. McGuire pleaded guilty last year in San Diego federal court to one count of threats in interstate commerce.

At McGuire’s sentencing hearing on Friday, defense attorney Marc Kohnen sought a time-served sentence for the 18 days McGuire had already spent in custody, arguing that mental health and substance use issues played a large role in the offense.

The attorney described McGuire’s behavior at the time as “screaming into the void in perhaps the most unhealthy way possible” and “a cry for help.”

Kohnen also argued that when looking at other cases involving threats to public officials, defendants in the Jan. 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol breach received 45-day sentences on average.

McGuire told U.S. District Judge Todd W. Robinson that he took “full responsibility for my vulgar and despicable actions.”

While Robinson credited McGuire for making strides through treatment and counseling since the incident, the judge said he was troubled by the prolonged conduct that included not just Schumer, but other elected officials.

“You can have a robust disagreement with public officials, but the fact of the matter remains that those individuals are entitled to go about their daily business without receiving unwarranted threats from constituents or any other members of the public,” Robinson said before imposing the prison sentence.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Lulz:

Am I missing something here?  They go from discussing a Medicare accounting semantic to Sen. Scott talking about moving hundreds of billions of Medicaid back to the states?  Isn't that completely apples and oranges?  It's not even the same testament of the federal budget, those two.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I want the job title, 'Prophet'. these people are bat shit crazy / have grifting down to a T !

The panel took a couple bong hits during the last commercial break. Fortunately they have a bucket of foodstuffs within arm’s reach.