Blastfurnace 2019 Thread: The Saga Continues

Trey3216

Next year just put "Texas" in every weather thread (except hurricanes).  Should solve it.

Temps going into the high 90's off/on the next week.  Won't prevent some 100's and even another scorcher (102°+) here or there... but...

... we're turning the corner, literally (earth's revolution point in its orbit) and we'll see temps going down gradually now through the 2nd week of Sept.  By then 100° consecutive days are fairly rare.

We're over da hump, well, give it another few days, then we are.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Next year just put "Texas" in every weather thread (except hurricanes).  Should solve it.

Temps going into the high 90's off/on the next week.  Won't prevent some 100's and even another scorcher (102°+) here or there... but...

... we're turning the corner, literally (earth's revolution point in its orbit) and we'll see temps going down gradually now through the 2nd week of Sept.  By then 100° consecutive days are fairly rare.

We're over da hump, well, give it another few days, then we are.

Saturday forecast. Daytime at river, drinking beer, then watch the Longhorns kickass. And Thursday night watch (PRAY) Texas St. can do some damage. 

• Like 1

I thought this was posted already, so sorry if so, but @phdhorn any comments?

https://www.kxan.com/weather/historic-heat-following-wet-spring-underscores-potential-connection-to-climate-change/

Record heat in Austin used to occur at relatively the same frequency as record cold. In other words, there were equal extremes on both sides of the spectrum. These days, record heat is far-outpacing record cold as the climate warms.

While this did stave off 100º heat in Austin until July 14, we have since then tallied 29 100º days, and 16 of those have been consecutive. If our 7-day forecast verifies, we may tally 23 consecutive 100º days by Tuesday next week — our second-longest heat wave in recorded history.

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So much for the thought that a rainy spring/early summer will keep temps down. But the climate isn’t changing, no sir. 

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

So much for the thought that a rainy spring/early summer will keep temps down. But the climate isn’t changing, no sir. 

Huh?  It did... for 2 of the 3 months.  Temps were way below normal.  I'd call 2/3 a majority.  The rainy spring absolutely did keep temps down.  Then August came and was August.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Huh?  It did... for 2 of the 3 months.  Temps were way below normal.  I'd call 2/3 a majority.  The rainy spring absolutely did keep temps down.  Then August came and was August.

May was about one degree below normal. June was about average and July was almost two degrees above. I posted about it a couple of weeks ago when August was already running four degrees above average:

Edited by bolverk

May was about one degree below normal. June was about average and July was almost two degrees above. I posted about it a couple of weeks ago when August was already running four degrees above average:

Thing is, average feels like way below normal these days.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, texasdago said:

"These summer early mornings are the worst. It's 73, yet 98% humidity."

Try the 80s with that same humidity.  Its death.

Yep.  It’s been high 70’s low 80’s with 90+% humidity at 6 when I take my dog for her 1 hr daily walk 

Not gonna argue with that. But when you have to be in the heat all day those mornings where the humidity is crazy high are almost as bad as the afternoons when it hits three digits. Mid morning is probably the best time of day in the summer time. It's warm enough that most of the humidity has burned off, but it's not too hot yet.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:29 PM, bolverk said:

I don't know, it just didn't seem as hot as in years past, even had some surprisingly cool days.  Damn, maybe I died and no one told me....

Edited by SHOOTER12

Yeah, even the LSU fans are gonna think the pregame weather is gonna be some bullshit.  If I were you, I'd buy some one-off passes to one of the pre-game hospitality club in Bass Concert Hall, et. al.  If you're a Texas-Exes member, you can get into the alumni center where they have mixed drinks and plenty of A/C.  

We got invited to a big O&G brew-ha-ha in those tents at the LBJ lawn.  Problem is they rented one the big one in the middle, so there'll be no fucking breeze...so yeah, I think we're skipping it.  

14 hours ago, Ten Bears said:
On 8/30/2019 at 10:47 AM, texasdago said:
Ironically, I've gotten used to it.  I work outside in the yard no matter how hot it is.  The more you're out there, the more you get used to it.  Better than living in Minnesota.

Enjoy your melanoma.

Enjoy your early onset diabetes/heart disease. Pussy. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, even the LSU fans are gonna think the pregame weather is gonna be some bullshit.  If I were you, I'd buy some one-off passes to one of the pre-game hospitality club in Bass Concert Hall, et. al.  If you're a Texas-Exes member, you can get into the alumni center where they have mixed drinks and plenty of A/C.  

We got invited to a big O&G brew-ha-ha in those tents at the LBJ lawn.  Problem is they rented one the big one in the middle, so there'll be no fucking breeze...so yeah, I think we're skipping it.  

If it’s a Tailgate Guys tent then absolutely do not go. It will be an absolute shitshow. 

• Fuck You 1

I think they technically are handling the tailgate itself like all of those over there.  I was just dreading it because I need to go for UT purposes.  But last couple years it was later in the season.  This year they are blowing it out because of all the connections to Louisiana energy groups.  But the tent is right in the middle and it’s gonna be a tight squeeze.   But hey, gonna be a fun day.   But the jokes we made about the liquor bender from noon to midnight are really gonna be true because of dehydration 

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I’m hoping for a freak cold front appearing out of nowhere before Saturday 

I'm unfortunately betting that we'll give 2018 a run for its money on latest first cold front. 

First65MinTemp.jpg

We made it 2 weeks into October last year before getting there. I don't see anything in long-term forecast that makes me think we'll get there within the next 15+ days.

Edited by Storm the Field