Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

Did this get overlooked? Signed into law just hours before DeSantis announced his presidential run, it did more then just change Florida’s “resign-to-run”’law that prevented the sitting Governor from running for higher office. It also created new restrictions on voter registration and drew lawsuits from a number of groups including the NAACP and the League of Women Voters because, predictably, it would have a negative effect on the registration of Black & Hispanic voters. I saw this story mentioned on some news broadcast and had to search for it. Then I had to sift through the hits from 2019 and 2021 when the Florida GOP drew lawsuits in response to their earlier efforts to suppress the vote.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2023/05/25/florida-election-bill-immediately-challenged-federal-court

Florida election bill immediately challenged in federal court

League of Women Voters and NAACP are among plaintiffs who allege SB 7050 will harm efforts to sign up voters.

TALLAHASSEE — After Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a major elections bill Wednesday, legal battles immediately began about new restrictions on voter registration groups.

Organizations such as the League of Women Voters of Florida and the NAACP filed two federal lawsuits arguing that the restrictions violate First Amendment rights and will harm efforts to sign up Black and Hispanic voters.

The Republican-controlled Legislature passed the bill (SB 7050) last month and DeSantis signed it Wednesday, hours before formally announcing that he will run for president in 2024. The bill focuses heavily on placing additional restrictions on “third-party” voter registration groups, including dramatically increasing fines for legal violations and preventing non-U.S. citizens from handling registration applications.

“These onerous, overbroad, and vague requirements do not serve and cannot be justified by any compelling or legitimate state interest,” said a lawsuit filed by the League of Women Voters of Florida and the League of Women Voters of Florida Education Fund.

“The challenged provisions’ only aim, and indeed, only effect, is to limit the ability of (third-party registration groups) like (the League of Women Voters) to register eligible Florida citizens to vote, and in so doing, persuade them to action by participating in the electoral process.” 

Republican supporters, however, have argued that the changes are designed to bolster election security and protect information submitted by voters.

“There is no more sacred thing than our vote, and in this state, when it comes to our elections, we want to be crystal clear: It should be easy to vote and hard to cheat,” Rep. John Snyder, R-Stuart, said before the House passed the bill April 28.

DeSantis’ approval of the bill Wednesday and the resulting lawsuits marked the start of another chapter in years of political and legal fights about changes in Florida’s elections laws. Republican leaders in Florida and across the country have repeatedly pushed to make voting changes after former President Donald Trump lost his re-election bid in 2020.

The lawsuits, which were filed in federal court in Tallahassee, seek injunctions against the disputed parts of the bill and allege violations of First Amendment, due process and equal protection rights. While the League of Women Voters filed one lawsuit, the other was filed by a coalition of groups such as the NAACP, Disability Rights Florida and Alianza for Progress.

The League of Women Voters case names as defendants Secretary of State Cord Byrd and Attorney General Ashley Moody. The other lawsuit names as defendants Byrd, Moody and the 67 county supervisors of elections.

An underlying issue in the lawsuits is that the plaintiffs say voter registration groups play an important role in registering Black and Hispanic voters. Black voters in particular are a key Democratic Party constituency.

The lawsuit filed by the coalition of groups alleges that the voter registration restrictions “were purposefully enacted, at least in part, with a racially discriminatory intent to discriminate against Black and Hispanic voters and have the effect individually and collectively of denying, abridging, or suppressing the right to vote of otherwise eligible voters on account of race, ethnicity, or color.”

Among the issues targeted in the lawsuits:

The bill significantly increases fines for violations by voter registration organizations. As an example, groups could face a maximum of $250,000 in fines each year — five times the current $50,000 annual cap — for failing to submit completed registration applications to elections supervisors on time.

- The bill reduces from 14 days to 10 days the length of time groups have to turn applications in to elections supervisors.

- The bill bars non-citizens and people who have been convicted of certain felonies from handling voter registration applications for the groups.

- The bill prevents the groups from retaining personal information about people who sign up to vote.

- The bill requires the groups to provide “receipts” to people who register.

Both lawsuits allege, in part, that the bill violates political speech rights protected by the First Amendment and would have a “chilling” effect on the groups. For example, one of the plaintiffs, Equal Ground Education Fund, expects to stop efforts to register voters during the upcoming election cycle because of the “increased risk of exorbitant fines imposed by SB 7050,” according to the coalition lawsuit.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hmmm...Desantis versus the furries...

So . . .  I went to the Megaplex fursuiters website.  It was a bit of a disappointment TBH (not that I was expecting scantily clad women with tails or anything of the sort).

Looks more like that Capitol One college football mascots ad.

fursuiting-elbows.jpg

19 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

fuck em, I am sure all of the voted for the guy in charge and 

Learn Find Out GIF

Well I enthusiastically voted for Gillum, who in hindsight, was a closeted, meth addicted, indicted fraudster, and still somehow would have made a better governor than puddin' fingers.

It's not like we are awash in great choice here in hangdown state.

• Drool 1

Holy shit ... we really are in a simulation. The Bablyon Bee using Twitter to fire people for not being polite to politicians is perhaps the funniest thing they've ever done.

This planet makes absolutely no sense to me anymore. None.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Holy shit ... we really are in a simulation. The Bablyon Bee using Twitter to fire people for not being polite to politicians is perhaps the funniest thing they've ever done.

Well that's the funniest thing to ever come out of the Babylon Bee.

Finally.  

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2023 at 12:15 PM, South Austin said:

I’m looking forward to watching this fucker burn in the primaries.

Ok, here’s an absolutely miserable hypothetical with a very real possibility. 

Assume that you had to vote in the Republican Primary, and you knew that the winner would defeat Biden. Your only choices are Trump or DeSantis. Who gets your vote?

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Assume that you had to vote in the Republican Primary, and you knew that the winner would defeat Biden. Your only choices are Trump or DeSantis. Who gets your vote?

Trump. He would spend way more time on social media, which takes away time from doing other stupid/heinous shit, and at the end of the day it's about lining his pockets and making himself feel important, which would take away time from doing other stupid/heinous shit. He would also be surrounded by people who were first and foremost 100% out for their own grift.

DeSantis would be hyper-focused on fascism for fascism's sake. He would surround himself with people who could get fascist shit done.

Also, Trump is always a Big Mac away from a heart attack, so it might depend on his running mate, but DeSantis wouldn't be his running mate.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Ok, here’s an absolutely miserable hypothetical with a very real possibility. 

jesus, might as well ask me whether i could live without my right or left nut (that's right bitches, I got 'em both!)

but seriously, this is why it's so important for them to beat up on each other for as long as they can. trump needs to destroy meatball ron and then flame out horribly in the general. the only way that happens without much sweat on Biden and the dems is if they split the conservative base. meatball already is getting the nazi vote shift, so olds and idiots will continue to align with trump. the extremists know trump is lost cause. they'd rather align with meatball because if he can get elected, their agenda will have a way better chance of becoming reality. 

USA! USA! USA!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

No problem with either choice. If one were an R voter.  Same with a steaming pile of shit, death to all left handers, or the end of the world as we know it.  They feel fine with the blood soaked R.

That's great, it starts with an earthquake,

Birds and snakes, an aeroplane

And Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

• Haha 1

I guess we will see how this plays out, but DeSantis’s attempt to outflank Trump to the right seems like the stupidest fucking thing he could ever do.  His only hope was to consolidate GOP opposition to Trump by bargaining with people like Haley, Pence, Scott, etc. to win the primary, then move further to the middle to beat Biden.  By doing what he’s doing (moving right of Trump while also engaging Trump in political battle), he’s presenting himself as an enemy to the people he desperately needs in order to win both the primary and the general.  Idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I guess we will see how this plays out, but DeSantis’s attempt to outflank Trump to the right seems like the stupidest fucking thing he could ever do.  His only hope was to consolidate GOP opposition to Trump by bargaining with people like Haley, Pence, Scott, etc. to win the primary, then move further to the middle to beat Biden.  By doing what he’s doing (moving right of Trump while also engaging Trump in political battle), he’s presenting himself as an enemy to the people he desperately needs in order to win both the primary and the general.  Idiot. 

You sound like a radical cultural Marxist that is indoctrinating kids with wokeism and leftist ideology and Ron DeSantis is going to turn your brain into Florida when he wins!!!

WOOOOO

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2023 at 8:35 AM, Firemans4Horn said:

Ron DeSantis is going to turn your brain into Florida when he wins!!!

I am picturing some kind of Invasion of the Body Snatchers scenario where everyone with Florida brain morphs into Dewey Crowe.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m imagining Desantis wife called up the Spring Break 2012 Daytona Beach wet t shirt contest winner and said

”Hey let’s do a theme. How about Disney? I can dress up like Bell from Beauty and the Beast!”

“Booty and the Beast? I auditioned for that!”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4