Political Discussion in Daily Texan

immamac

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Jesus man, don't give those stupid fuckers any ideas.  They're gonna have a degree program before long called, "Gameclock Auditing Sciences."  They'll go back and review clock starts/stoppages for every big game they've ever lost. 

Their justification will be, "Despite there being no factual evidence to suggest we won the game in the allotted period of time, how can be so sure there was no massive clock fraud?  We must "independently" audit to make sure every second was accounted for, every second was counted, and the chain of custody of the game clocks and whistles and instant replay devices were not manipulated in any way.  

What's more plausible you sore-losing Aggie morons...that there was a massive, yet completely unproven, conspiracy between the Big XII office, the referees, the stadium clock official, the ABC camera crews, and other sideline crew members to make you lose your last game with Texas?  Or was it simply the guy you worshipped, Coach Sherman, just said and did a bunch of stupid shit towards the end and JustinTucker simply made that field goal? 

Which seems more likely?  The greatest football conspiracy ever in American history that apparently 'everybody knows about', yet has zero evidence of having taken place, with hundreds involved who've all managed to keep their roles in it quiet for all this time?  Or your rival just scored more points than you in the time allotted?  

Yeah, but have you heard of the Burnt Orange Media Conspiracy?! Aggies have been mistreated and misunderstood all because Texas owns the media.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Yeah, but have you heard of the Burnt Orange Media Conspiracy?! Aggies have been mistreated and misunderstood all because Texas owns the media.

They've been treated better than they should have been, and everyone understands aggy except for aggy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I have a question for #both sides. Why will people bend over backwards, believe in conspiracy theories, read in signs from clouds, when it benefits their team but when presented with evidence, or testimony under oath, or as Spender Trillby would say “hard data”, they won’t believe it? 

This isn’t just about politics. This relates to sports teams. Anything really. 

Solid question.

Someone should explore the overlap between those who believe Qanon's conspiracy theories (15% of Americans) and those who believe Russia didn't meddle in the 2016 election to elect Trump (IDK the percent but there are few folks who fit that bill in this thread).  If we addressed whatever the causes underlying those beliefs, the US would be much better.    

Fox News is one channel.  Twitter and Facebook actively censor conservatives.  The dominant form of media pushed some horse shit lie about Russian collusion for the majority of Trump’s term.  But, it’s Fox News that fucked over the Georgia elections.  Got it.  Think for yourself before you insult me, buddy...

Another pack of lies. Twitter censors violence inciting crazies, so well yeah, conservatives.

If i walk into mcdonalds and they refuse to serve me does it mean they refused to serve me because I was a god fearing man? Or maybe because I didn’t have clothes on? Nah, it was the cross around my neck.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I can speak from experience on this one. If you ever find yourself on the same side of a movement that has completely engulfed 90% of Aggies and 100% of Texags, you may want to look around and take some introspection.

I almost put in a qualifier on my post specifically about you. You’re one of the few exceptions. 

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Another pack of lies. Twitter censors violence inciting crazies, so well yeah, conservatives.

If i walk into mcdonalds and they refuse to serve me does it mean they refused to serve me because I was a god fearing man? Or maybe because I didn’t have clothes on? Nah, it was the cross around my neck.

Everyone knows you call 911. Cuz that's what you do when a fast food restaurant can't serve what you want. I really don't get why you responded to my comment with "insurrection" on the Capitol stuff. NO clue. 

Exactly. But to bring my point home, there are some hard truths many Longhorn fans will ignore and argue against evidence. I understand where it comes from. We all want our team to win, but when you ignore reality, it becomes cookoo. Some forums on here have read like Texags at some point in the past 10 years. Everyone has blind spots. It’s hard to self police oneself when you support something, but it’s nice to have goals. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Fox News is one channel.  Twitter and Facebook actively censor conservatives.  The dominant form of media pushed some horse shit lie about Russian collusion for the majority of Trump’s term.  But, it’s Fox News that fucked over the Georgia elections.  Got it.  Think for yourself before you insult me, buddy...

Facebook is being kept afloat by boomer Republicans lol

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I have a question for #both sides. Why will people bend over backwards, believe in conspiracy theories, read in signs from clouds, when it benefits their team but when presented with evidence, or testimony under oath, or as Spender Trillby would say “hard data”, they won’t believe it? 

This isn’t just about politics. This relates to sports teams. Anything really. 

I think much of it is the desire to not be wrong, but I also think with the internet today it's much easier to find "hard data" to support whatever side you want to be on. It's also much easier to find instances where that data changes over time or more and/or different data comes to light. We don't trust people to not lie, cheat, or steal, especially when time has shown that that is exactly what many will do.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I also think with the internet today it's much easier to find "hard data" to support whatever side you want to be on

Proliferation of disinformation, combined with a lack of critical thinking skills to actually validate information past a headline and actually check sources cited is how we get to where we are today. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Proliferation of disinformation, combined with a lack of critical thinking skills to actually validate information past a headline and actually check sources cited is how we get to where we are today. 

It's so much simpler than this. People just suck and are racist garbage afraid of things that don't look like them, talk like them etc.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Ha ha! Holy fuck! I just started my new job and I am in training and I live in Austin. Three Aggies. Ha. The trainer had to show us his screen and in his browser he had Texags.

Take him aside and whisper “The storm is coming, where we go one, we go all.  Hail Hydra.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

This is the technical answer 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

It's so much simpler than this. People just suck and are racist garbage afraid of things that don't look like them, talk like them etc.

This is the answer in layman terms 

The majority or people suck. They are inconsiderate, selfish, and rude. (Caveat: it’s human nature but so is killing so don’t use that as a defense). They want what they want and they don’t give a shit about other people. They may say they do, but it when it comes down to actually helping other people, when they have to give a little extra money, or when votes are cast, they really don’t give a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Guest Lobo

If there ends up being an attempt at a coup d'etat later this summer on U.S. soil...could we talk about that on DT?  

I realize we wouldn't want to go politics first with the discussion.  Perhaps we use the old news mantra, "If it bleeds, it leads..." ???

We could begin by discussing the violence and murder.  Eventually get to the political ramifications and ensuing Martial Law.  Pepper in human interest stories about how these people who got suckered into the movement were good patriots, maybe some of their favorite reading material, hobbies, etc.  Finally, close with an urging for all Americans to get over it, and once again come together to heal.  

I gotta weird feeling that attempted overthrows of our elections and governments (both in D.C. and in state Capitols) is going to become so common-place, that we'll just throw out the cursory "Thoughts & Prayers" thing every few weeks.  Maybe even have a "Active Insurrection" or "Active Coup" thread somewhere on the site.  That way, when the world laughs in horror at us murdering one another in our respective seats of government, we don't let it bleed over into "current event" threads.  

Edited by Lobo

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If there ends up being an attempt at a coup d'etat later this summer on U.S. soil...could we talk about that on DT?  

I realize we wouldn't want to go politics first with the discussion.  Perhaps we use the old news mantra, "If it bleeds, it leads..." ???

We could begin by discussing the violence and murder.  

You could just end it with mental illness aspect.  I get that quite a few olds get suckered in by a few qanon talking points, but anybody still buying what the qanon crowd is selling (and by the way, "Q" is no more, and has been no more since last December, when the Watkins duo bailed on it) have some serious mental health issues.  That includes TexAgs.  

Yeah, people will focus on the politics, but honestly, anybody who thinks that the military is going to rise up and replace Biden with Trump in July is certifiably insane.

Edit: I'm guilty of making fun of these people, but I have an in-law who is fully into that stuff, and she has no idea how crazy she sounds.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

We could begin by discussing the violence and murder.  Eventually get to the political ramifications and ensuing Martial Law.  Pepper in human interest stories about how these people who got suckered into the movement were good patriots, maybe some of their favorite reading material, hobbies, etc.  Finally, close with an urging for all Americans to get over it, and once again come together to heal.  

I gotta weird feeling that attempted overthrows of our elections and governments (both in D.C. and in state Capitols) is going to become so common-place, that we'll just throw out the cursory "Thoughts & Prayers" thing every few weeks.  Maybe even have a "Active Insurrection" or "Active Coup" thread somewhere on the site.  That way, when the world laughs in horror at us murdering one another in our respective seats of government, we don't let it bleed over into "current event" threads.  

Coup Tactics & Ballistics Discussion (No Politics)

• Hook 'Em 1

Now that a human has contracted a new strain of avian flu in China, H10N3, and the Chinese government is saying the risk of transmission to others is "very low", maybe we will get to put some of the stuff discussed in this thread into use in the inevitable H10N3 thread here in DT.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 5/31/2021 at 8:36 PM, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I can speak from experience on this one. If you ever find yourself on the same side of a movement that has completely engulfed 90% of Aggies and 100% of Texags, you may want to look around and take some introspection.

Is the term "one percenter" still around?

On 5/28/2021 at 10:09 AM, hayden_horn said:

you're a good example of how the cloak room isn't a bunch of torch wielding lunatics looking to burn every dissenter at the stake. you bring honest opinions.

what i think happens is when someone comes in with inaccurate hot takes, that's when they reap the whirlwind. hell, even workswithseed doesn't get crowdsourced. i don't even remember the last time someone got crowdsourced over there.

What you are not addressing is the participation, threads and posts by conservatives/right wingers that are not occurring because of the toxic nature of the CR where anyone espousing a right wing view is deemed a troll and where posters like @GW Hayduke @Felix @wildcat09 and formerly @UpperWestside (to his credit I don’t see him doing it anymore) neg bomb guys like @Johnny Sack on non-CR threads. I come here for sports discussion. I WOULD PARTICIPATE in the CR but for asshats like I described above. I have no problem defending my viewpoints. Those guys will dock you double digit negs in which puts you in a precarious position. For those of us who want to stick around and post during football season, the trade off of posting in the current form of the CR is not worth it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

What you are not addressing is the participation, threads and posts by conservatives/right wingers that are not occurring because of the toxic nature of the CR where anyone espousing a right wing view is deemed a troll and where posters like @GW Hayduke @Felix @wildcat09 and formerly @UpperWestside (to his credit I don’t see him doing it anymore) neg bomb guys like @Johnny Sack on non-CR threads. I come here for sports discussion. I WOULD PARTICIPATE in the CR but for asshats like I described above. I have no problem defending my viewpoints. Those guys will dock you double digit negs in which puts you in a precarious position. For those of us who want to stick around and post during football season, the trade off of posting in the current form of the CR is not worth it.

You are such a lying pussy, Icono.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 5/29/2021 at 12:00 PM, hayden_horn said:

perception bias is a hell of  notably, many conservative posters did not leave. @ChiTownDoc and @Ghost of LL and @Lobo come to mind. yall think the cloak room is liberal for some reason. it's far from it. ask @bad_teammate, and he'll set you straight. he thinks all these republican converts are fucking up the show for proper democratic policy. 

@Ghost of LL a conservative hahahaha. That guy is the very definition of the classic “Austin liberal” and is a founding member of the Cabal which is inherently liberal. What I mean when I say that he is a homegrown Texas liberal like the ones I went to school with in the 90s not the California imports who currently have infected the host.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

You should start a website to address all of these problems 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

@Ghost of LL a conservative hahahaha. That guy is the very definition of the classic “Austin liberal” and is a founding member of the Cabal which is inherently liberal. What I mean when I say that he is a homegrown Texas liberal like the ones I went to school with in the 90s not the California imports who currently have infected the host.

I’m sorry you were treated like shit in middle school and high school but I fail to see how that was Ghost of LL’s fault. 

I’m sorry you were treated like shit in middle school and high school but I fail to see how that was Ghost of LL’s fault. 

GOLL....an “Austin Liberal”....who lived most of his life outside of Austin, and was a consistent Republican voter for literally decades.

That’s where we are. Anyone who doesn’t unquestioningly drink the GQP kool-aid and pledge fealty to their god-king....is a libtard.
  • Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

GOLL....an “Austin Liberal”....who lived most of his life outside of Austin, and was a consistent Republican voter for literally decades.

That’s where we are. Anyone who doesn’t unquestioningly drink the GQP kool-aid and pledge fealty to their god-king....is a libtard.

The “decades” I assume you are referring to are the 80s and maybe through the tail end of the GHWB’s only term. So basically, he last time he MIGHT HAVE voted Republican was almost 30 years ago. My memory doesn’t stretch far enough back to remember if he had an opinion for or against Clinton’s impeachment but I can fairly assume that he was against it by his posting history. You’re correct that he would not have a home in the coalition of social conservatives, Trumpists and nationalists comprising today’s GOP. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I thought it was fairly common knowledge what his political history is. He has detailed it on more than one occasion. I know y’all are good friends outside of this board so you know it much better than I do, but I can recall reading how his political position went through the evolution that brought him to where he is today. 

To be honest it should be a badge of honor at this point to not be on the Christmas card list of the death cult. 

Edited by UpperWestside

27 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The “decades” I assume you are referring to are the 80s and maybe through the tail end of the GHWB’s only term. So basically, he last time he MIGHT HAVE voted Republican was almost 30 years ago. My memory doesn’t stretch far enough back to remember if he had an opinion for or against Clinton’s impeachment but I can fairly assume that he was against it by his posting history. You’re correct that he would not have a home in the coalition of social conservatives, Trumpists and nationalists comprising today’s GOP. 

You are so stupid it's actually incredible. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Yeah, you're definitely not Iconoclast using a proxy. 

42 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

You don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. GoLL is not only a conservative, but also was in fact such a loyal Republican he defended racist douchebag  George Allen when he melted down in his senate race against Jim Webb. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

46 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. GoLL is not only a conservative, but also was in fact such a loyal Republican he defended racist douchebag  George Allen when he melted down in his senate race against Jim Webb. 

I do love the myth that the CR denizens were all card carrying Republicans until Trump and the move to this site. Trump’s election and the move to surly was the liminal moment where erstwhile “conservatives” were transformed creating the CR communitas the rest of the board loathes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1