RIP Bobby Bowden

ztejas

Great stories. Great career. 

Good point above by CmonTexas about his death adding another sad verse to the poetry of changing college football.

Farewell, Bobby.

Edit: Read the posted article. Tough old bird:

Bowden also dealt with what he called a "tough" bout of COVID-19 in 2020, which came a few days after returning to his Tallahassee home from a lengthy hospital stay for an infection in his leg.

Death had its work cut out for it taking Bobby Bowden. Even more respect.

spacer.png

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

does this allow aggy to claim more sitting national titles?
They lost a legendary coach today, have some respect. Of course it's by proxy using the Kevin Bacon formula, but still stadium/statue worthy.

RIP coach Bowden, they dont make coaches like you these days.

28 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

George Jones wrote a song called whose gonna fill their shoes, Bowden wore shoes that won’t ever be filled. His consistency across 40 years is just fuckin amazing. Rip mr Bowden. 

Especially with Joe Pa now being widely acknowledged as a huge piece of shit. Bowden is THE watermark for giving everything to one school and doing nothing but winning a shit ton in the process. 

I guess Snyder, too, Snyder just never quite got over the hump. But he got closer than anyone ever will at K State. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

To an outsider, it was boring. He made excellence boring. When I was a kid making my little preseason polls it was always "Where (in the top 5) do we put the 'Noles this year?" not "Will they be a national title contender?"  They were, every single year, at least going into those seasons.  It was as predictable in that era as Nebraska steamrolling Iowa State.

Especially with Joe Pa now being widely acknowledged as a huge piece of shit. Bowden is THE watermark for giving everything to one school and doing nothing but winning a shit ton in the process. 
I guess Snyder, too, Snyder just never quite got over the hump. But he got closer than anyone ever will at K State. 

He ran a dirty program throughout his FSU tenure, and his aw shucks, Jesus-y persona was largely a (albeit tremendously successful) PR tool.

His selfishness and blackmailing of FSU in fighting attempts for him to step down after he had lost it made Mac look good in comparison.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2004-03-05-0403041749-story.html

wellbye gif

edit: gatorcountry deleted a similar post. But younger gators may not know how Joe Pa was closer to dad-gum Bobby than you’d think in his Prime. Winning was all that mattered to him.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

i'm not a nole hater or a gata lover but rubet is correct

it was not a clean program

fsu is like the florida version of aggy

the sec took it's cues from the aggy fedex program and bowden's incredible rise which happened at exactly the same time

bowden took over in '76 and had in his first 11 years had 3 10-win seasons and then proceeded to have a 10-win season EVERY YEAR for the next 14 years

aggy contracted with fedex starting in '85 and managed 10-win seasons in 6 of the next 10 years

the roots of the modern sec are in those 2 programs

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-jan-04-sp-50475-story.html

Warsaw Rules.

When Janikowski was arrested for possessing GHB in Tally - and tried to bribe his way out - he said in defense that he did not speak English well enough to even understand the cop.

English literacy is no bar to FSU gpa eligibility. Also, Deion Sanders did not attend ONE class his last semester at FSU. Not. One. Which was fine with Bobby.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i'm not a nole hater or a gata lover but rubet is correct

it was not a clean program

fsu is like the florida version of aggy

the sec took it's cues from the aggy fedex program and bowden's incredible rise which happened at exactly the same time

bowden took over in '76 and had in his first 11 years had 3 10-win seasons and then proceeded to have a 10-win season EVERY YEAR for the next 14 years

aggy contracted with fedex starting in '85 and managed 10-win seasons in 6 of the next 10 years

the roots of the modern sec are in those 2 programs

And the Bear was dirty too. So many of the big 5 school coaches did whatever it took to win.

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

George Jones wrote a song called whose gonna fill their shoes, Bowden wore shoes that won’t ever be filled. His consistency across 40 years is just fuckin amazing. Rip mr Bowden. 

My old roommate said Bowden came to practice in bare feet sometimes.  Looked for it online, this is as close as I could find:

And now here he is in that same ol' patch lookin' at what could be his best season ever. Don't know about you, but we think it's right nice all this is happenin' to a barefoot guy like Bobby Bowden. It's like Ann says, "We've sat in every seat on the bus. And let me tell you. the front seat is the best." Funny, but to make that trip, maybe it did take an enlarged heart.

12 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-jan-04-sp-50475-story.html

Warsaw Rules.

When Janikowski was arrested for possessing GHB in Tally - and tried to bribe his way out - he said in defense that he did not speak English well enough to even understand the cop.

English literacy is no bar to FSU gpa eligibility. Also, Deion Sanders did not attend ONE class his last semester at FSU. Not. One. Which was fine with Bobby.

Buddy went to UF (has a National Championship Ring) same time when Leak was QB under Urban, same bullshit of Leak and the other players never going to class and many being illiterate. Something about stones and glass houses... Otherwise I didn't know that y'all cared this much to dunk on Bobby after he just passed away, thought y'all were the class of the SEC?

Pretty classy move by the gator fans to come shit on Bowden the day he dies on a longhorn fan site lulz. Urban Meyer...Aaron Hernandez....and I’m done lmao. Coach Bowden: Hey urban did Hernandez kill anybody while you coached him? I don’t know but Deion never had to go to class so don’t be judging me pal. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Auburn played FSU almost every year in the 80;s and those were some of the best games I ever went to. The 85 game is still in my top 5. each coach tried to top the other one. If FSU ran an end around then Auburn did the same the next series.  Final score was something in the 50's. I remember thinking we had an off year in 88 since they weren't on the schedule for some reason and we got them in Sugar Bowl instead.  The entire legacy of FSU started with him. RIP coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

RIP Coach, always liked him and those 90’s teams.  Some of y’all evidently would be really surprised to learn that at almost all major schools big time athletes don’t go to class, do their own homework or take their own tests even sometimes.  I have a friend that owns a lot of pairs of Jordan’s for playing school for a football player in college.   

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

He ran a dirty program throughout his FSU tenure, and his aw shucks, Jesus-y persona was largely a (albeit tremendously successful) PR tool.

His selfishness and blackmailing of FSU in fighting attempts for him to step down after he had lost it made Mac look good in comparison.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2004-03-05-0403041749-story.html

wellbye gif

edit: gatorcountry deleted a similar post. But younger gators may not know how Joe Pa was closer to dad-gum Bobby than you’d think in his Prime. Winning was all that mattered to him.

I'm not sainting Bowden, I'm just saying he shouldn't burn in hell for eternity like Joe Pa and as a result, and as a football coach, he should be acknowledged as the best example of a guy that hung around forever and posted great results. 

I'm aware of his ugly exit from FSU. I'm not that young. 

I'm also not super biased here. Watching someone beat your ass a bunch probably colors your impression. Bob Stoops and Gary Patterson are probably decent folks outside the coaching world.

• Hook 'Em 2