Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, that's a great fantasy to jerkoff to.  Have you been shot at before?   

Here's my hero fantasy when I'm being shot at:  the gunman slips in the runny shit that flows out of my pant leg, and hits his head and is knocked unconcious.  I, stench and all, recover his weapon and hold him at bay until the police arrive to shoot me and my dog. 

No.  And no.  That's my point.  I think that's why the "good guy with a gun" fallacy falls short 97% of the time, but it persists somehow in places like Maine and Texas where our gun laws are so relaxed so we can protect one another.  Because the potential hero has to do all that shit just to get an underpowered weapon against a modified, high-capacity rifle.  So they quickly do the risk assessment and realize the better option is to flee or hide.  

• Like 1

It’s not mentally ill it’s mainly I am confused as to how the “master plan” is to kill as many people as possible and to execute it to perfection. Yet be a bit nuts. And be confined to a mental institution and still do this. I think they are just “off” in life and pissed that it’s how it shook out for them and just want to inflict harm. 

52 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

No.  And no.  That's my point.  I think that's why the "good guy with a gun" fallacy falls short 97% of the time, but it persists somehow in places like Maine and Texas where our gun laws are so relaxed so we can protect one another.  Because the potential hero has to do all that shit just to get an underpowered weapon against a modified, high-capacity rifle.  So they quickly do the risk assessment and realize the better option is to flee or hide.  

And that fact right there is why those types of firearms need to be banned. Full stop.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

So supposedly there is a twitter account that uses the same picture as his now disabled fb page. I dont have twitter and cant find shit now that Elon fucked it up...but this is supposedly from the "likes". Could easily be fabricated internet bullshit, but it illustrates exactly how fucking stupid this argument has always been. 

CDN media

D'Souza appears to have said written this, but as a sandalone tweet, not as a response to Robert Card.

42 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Sure. You seem cool though. 💜 I’m out. Sorry for treading on y’all’s sacred turf. 

200.gif

I deleted my post a couple seconds after I made it because I decided it sounded mean. You do you. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

D'Souza appears to have said written this, but as a sandalone tweet, not as a response to Robert Card.

Right, D'Souza posted his tweet and Card liked it. Didnt mean to imply anything else. 

5 minutes ago, Covri said:

I deleted my post a couple seconds after I made it because I decided it sounded mean. You do you. 

I didn’t think you were mean and even though I said wouldn’t post again (ok just this once because it’s Halloween my favorite time of the year.) y’all don’t have to like me. I’ve been through absolute shit this year. Three funerals of family members in 1 1/2 years. I have opinions as y’all have yours.  I’m cool with y’all’s.

I barely bother y’all and if I do it’s because I try very hard to abide by TOS.  I’m not on FB or Instagram or Snapchat.

This is my home too. Just like it is yours. 

a bowling alley and a bar speak to someone the shooter was clearly friends with or mad at imo. Someone or someone’s who tried to get him help. 

I actually Nicole’d this up. Sorry. Fuck! Happy Halloween. 

IMG_1287.jpeg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s not mentally ill it’s mainly I am confused as to how the “master plan” is to kill as many people as possible and to execute it to perfection. Yet be a bit nuts. And be confined to a mental institution and still do this. I think they are just “off” in life and pissed that it’s how it shook out for them and just want to inflict harm. 

Mental illness is a real fucking thing in this world and there’s no real solution to the problem because there’s no definitive way to treat it. Everyone talks about AI destroying the world but they need to focus on how mental illness is coming dangerously close to destroying humanity.

This country has an outrageously high level of tolerance for people doing batshit crazy things. Sandy Hook proved that killing dozens of children with an assault weapon is not enough to ban the weapons themselves. The notion that freedom is free has clouded our judgment from seeing the possibilities of what humans are capable of when they are suffering from mental illness. 

Being mentally ill doesn’t necessarily incapacitate a person and prevent them from achieving their goals. They can be fully functional and carry out the goal to fruition. The mental illness is revealed by the goal itself and how it manifests into a person’s brain causing them to act out with no regard for people around them. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Mental illness is a real fucking thing in this world and there’s no real solution to the problem because there’s no definitive way to treat it. Everyone talks about AI destroying the world but they need to focus on how mental illness is coming dangerously close to destroying humanity.

This country has an outrageously high level of tolerance for people doing batshit crazy things. Sandy Hook proved that killing dozens of children with an assault weapon is not enough to ban the weapons themselves. The notion that freedom is free has clouded our judgment from seeing the possibilities of what humans are capable of when they are suffering from mental illness. 

Being mentally ill doesn’t necessarily incapacitate a person and prevent them from achieving their goals. They can be fully functional and carry out the goal to fruition. The mental illness is revealed by the goal itself and how it manifests into a person’s brain causing them to act out with no regard for people around them. 

There is no solution. If someone is mentally ill and they have the luxury of finding out for however painfully long it takes what is wrong  (if you can afford it) to get the right meds.

In a perfect world we pay for those meds and hopefully even with side effects these people stay the course. The real truth is even with free insurance and the best free healthcare the vast majority of mentally ill people decide the meds make them feel worse. Stop taking them. Turn to other methods for a high or a low. I’ve dealt with this on a personal level with people I love. There is no fix.

Take meds or be something else. The something else is what they want to be without meds. . It’s like dealing with an addict. There is no fix.  Unless people are ok with a Britney Spears type conservatorship forever.
They have to sober up and realize they have that issue and stick to a course. They fall off of it and this is what happens. 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

There is no solution. If someone is mentally ill and they have the luxury of finding out for however painfully long it takes what is wrong  (if you can afford it) to get the right meds.

In a perfect world we pay for those meds and hopefully even with side effects these people stay the course. The real truth is even with free insurance and the best free healthcare the vast majority of mentally ill people decide the meds make them feel worse. Stop taking them. Turn to other methods for a high or a low. I’ve dealt with this on a personal level with people I love. There is no fix.

Take meds or be something else. The something else is what they want to be without meds. . It’s like dealing with an addict. There is no fix.  Unless people are ok with a Britney Spears type conservatorship forever.
They have to sober up and realize they have that issue and stick to a course. They fall off of it and this is what happens. 

Even if it was just about taking medications, not all medications are the same. My uncle is mentally ill and I have been picking up his medication for 20 years. I always look to see what manufacturer the generic is. That shit matters even when they say it doesn’t and generics are supposedly all equal. If it’s going to be six months of a certain generic manufacturer, I know we’ll be in for one hell of a ride.

Do investigators look into this when they look at medical history of mass shooters? I firmly believe that changing a medication from one generic manufacturer to another (while keeping the exact same dose) can play a role in how the body responds to medication. So when medical history says you’ve been on X medication for number of years, we need to look deeper into what company is making the generic and if behavioral symptoms started to change following the administration of a different generic manufacturer of the exact same dose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Timeline per the NYT: 

Around 7 p.m. A shooting at a bowling alley in Lewiston, Maine, on Wednesday evening led to “multiple casualties,” according to the authorities. That was followed by reports of a shooting at Schemengees Bar &the Grille, a 12-minute drive away.

Around 8 p.m. The authorities released photos of an armed suspect and urged people to stay inside with their doors locked. Hundreds of officers were working across Maine to find the gunman, said Mike Sauschuck, who oversees public safety for the state.

8:30 p.m. Officials in Auburn, the neighboring city, urged residents to shelter in place, lock all doors and report suspicious people.

Just before 9 p.m. The Lewiston police identified Schemengees Bar & Grille as a second shooting location. They asked drivers to stay off the roads to allow emergency responders access to the hospitals.

Around 9:15 p.m. The Lewiston police released photos of the vehicle they were searching for, a small white car whose front bumper may be painted black.

Around 11 p.m. The police department in Lewiston named Robert R. Card of Bowdoin, Maine, as a person of interest in the shootings, saying that he “should be considered armed and dangerous.” They urged members of the public not to approach Mr. Card or make contact with him if they saw him.

Around 11:30 p.m. Mr. Sauschuck said that a vehicle of interest had been found in Lisbon, about eight miles from Lewiston. The person of interest remained at large.

After 6 a.m. Maine’s State Police said it was expanding its shelter-in-place advisory for Lewiston, the state’s second-largest city after Portland, to include the nearby town of Bowdoin. Classes at Bates College in Lewiston, at Lewiston Public Schools and in neighboring school districts were canceled on Thursday.

Just now, AnTiM said:

I thought about this and now I am praying that some reckless police officer shoots this bastard before he murders any more innocent people.

Decent chance most of the cops in the state are hiding until someone else deals with the problem for them.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I was told that there would be good guys with guns to stop shit like this.  Where the fuck were they?

We need to flood the area with more guns so the good guys will be ready next time. That or MMA training like manly Hannity. 

Is right wing America going to be as appalled by this as they are about the Hamas attack on the innocent? Will they see the similarity of experience for victims of terrorism and mass shootings?

No. Our violence is like our movies where good guys shoot bad guys thus Scheiss Meister's post. Well done.

• Hook 'Em 1

From “X” 10 hours ago. I told my wife when they showed his Outback some yahoo would claim he was a gay Democrat.

“Lewiston, Maine is a heavy Democrat area. The murderer drives a Subaru Outback. Early reports are that he is a convicted pedophile.

Tomorrow this dirtbag will be a MAGA Republican, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Don't ever give up your guns”

• Hook 'Em 1

Again, the focus will be on the number dead -- 22. It's awful.

What's lost in the wash are:

- the likely millions in medical bills combined for the 50-60 said to be injured
- Lost wages from having to shelter in place
- Cost of paying police, first responders to care for the wounded and capture the shooter
- Cost of forgone earnings from the deceased or permanently injured
- Cost of burial expenses for those killed
- the psychological impact on every one there and on the national psyche that this continues to happen
- multiple businesses where this occurred that are likely to go under, if not have to completely end up being demolished/rebuilt
- what sounds like a small, idyllic town that's going to be permanently scarred and associated with this

If you put a monetary value on it all (you can't), we're talking tens of millions of dollars in damages, all due to one person and a $500-$2000 weapon.

Forget -- if you ever could -- the actual emotional impact of these things. Just put it in dollar terms to take the emotion out of it. It's insane. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

- the likely millions in medical bills combined for the 50-60 said to be injured
- Cost of paying police, first responders to care for the wounded and capture the shooter
- the psychological impact on every one there and on the national psyche that this continues to happen
- multiple businesses where this occurred that are likely to go under, if not have to completely end up being demolished/rebuilt
- what sounds like a small, idyllic town that's going to be permanently scarred and associated with this

If you put a monetary value on it all (you can't), we're talking tens of millions of dollars in damages, all due to one person and a $500-$2000 weapon.

Forget -- if you ever could -- the actual emotional impact of these things. Just put it in dollar terms to take the emotion out of it. It's insane. 

so what who cares tv show GIF

muhhh freedums

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

From TexAgs:

image.png.fc948789f33d2e1c2ab53cfb0fa39096.png

image.png.ab74847f3bcd48b99ede28858fa8b001.png

image.png.fec1b4415c9011b06474fbd6f9ae5b36.png

image.png.16c0dd3f0c1cff2848a1006609d7e3f4.png

TexAgs represents the weirdness of the hard core Aggie in most things. Their political board, which I can only rarely stomach, is a study in MAGA thinking such as it is.

I enjoy that they can never imagine a place where having all wheel drive is immensely useful.  

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

From TexAgs:

image.png.fc948789f33d2e1c2ab53cfb0fa39096.png

image.png.ab74847f3bcd48b99ede28858fa8b001.png

image.png.fec1b4415c9011b06474fbd6f9ae5b36.png

image.png.16c0dd3f0c1cff2848a1006609d7e3f4.png

TexAgs represents the weirdness of the hard core Aggie in most things. Their political board, which I can only rarely stomach, is a study in MAGA thinking such as it is.

Subaru changes the narrative? Rural new England is full of three things:
1) Artisanal woolens
2) Subarus
3) Duckboot MAGA

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah, but did you consider the POSITIVE economic impact that will come about from this?

* Every police dept in Maine will now get to rubber stamp purchasing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of new body armor, tactical gear, super-duper x-ray vision goggles, etc. Plus a few tanks might come in handy. Might as well get some shoulder-mount rocket launchers while you're at it.
* There will be a massive uptick sales of candles for the vigils that will take place over the coming weeks.
* What about hardening those bowling alleys and local dive bars? Steel plated entry doors, ballistic glass for windows, and TSA-style screening devices at all entrances are huge profit items. And nothing says "freedom" like entering a bunker & sitting behind 2" glass while watching your buddies roll a smooth 137 as you drink a few NE-style IPAs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

We actually do regulate which vehicles are allowed on streets and who can drive them. Being mass shootings are almost exclusively a male phenomenon and insurance companies take gender into in account in setting auto insurance rates, it feels like an unintentional point is being suggested here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

The mental health argument is so tired -- as if nobody's crazy in England or Japan.

Republicans -- just admit that you care more about your big dick toys than about the lives of strangers.  Admit that you think it's a percentages game, and you're willing to live with the tiny chance that someone you care about gets shot in exchange for the powerful, big dick feeling you get from owning an assault rifle.

You're not fooling anyone with this other misdirection anyway.  And, you're entitled to think this way.  Just stop lying about it.

That's what kills me. The obvious BS and lying about it. Just admit that you love your guns more than you love other people's children being alive. It's the fucking truth behind your actions.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 9

30 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Yeah, but did you consider the POSITIVE economic impact that will come about from this?

* Every police dept in Maine will now get to rubber stamp purchasing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of new body armor, tactical gear, super-duper x-ray vision goggles, etc. Plus a few tanks might come in handy. Might as well get some shoulder-mount rocket launchers while you're at it.
* There will be a massive uptick sales of candles for the vigils that will take place over the coming weeks.
* What about hardening those bowling alleys and local dive bars? Steel plated entry doors, ballistic glass for windows, and TSA-style screening devices at all entrances are huge profit items. And nothing says "freedom" like entering a bunker & sitting behind 2" glass while watching your buddies roll a smooth 137 as you drink a few NE-style IPAs.

Don't forget the leaders of the NRA getting a salary bump because the donations coming in will jump X- fold

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I was told that there would be good guys with guns to stop shit like this.  Where the fuck were they?

This loser was the poster boy for a "good guy with the gun".

until he wasn't.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1