Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

37 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not even like Jada cheated on Will with some other man. It was one of her son's friends that was living with them because he was screwed up physically and emotionally. The guy was less than half her age and suicidal.

No excuses for Will on any of it, just laughing at the idea that this 50-year-old predator is such a wilting flower that her husband needs to derail his career and image to "defend" her... all while she's sitting there in a dress that costs more than 5 teacher salaries.

Yes. More. MOAR! I need this spice right in here:

image.png.839aa077bdc05833c984e92a4d572962.png

25 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My friend, I don't think you can be more wrong. I was a big, quick, strong young man. Had any woman with me taken offense at something so mild, I wouldn't have gone straight to striking the person in the face. I'd be doubly reserved if the guy were half my size and just trying to be funny. Double it again if the guy indicates he was just trying to make a nice joke. Me hitting that guy would be vulgar posturing and cause for shame.

I can easily ignore her alleged culpability. She seems to be an asshole, but Smith chose to do what he did at a gathering of professional peers televised to the world. His cannot have been an unconsidered act. He had to think, rise from his seat, walk a distance towards a man not suspecting he will be attacked, and then attack him.

Fuck Will Smith.

ps I know you're not a guy looking to blame men's woes on women. This time, I just disagree with you on your post above.

I agree with everything you write.  I just don't see your basis for disagreement with what I wrote.

As I said--Will Smith has agency.  He decided to go up there and strike Chris Rock.  He is entirely responsible for his actions.

But things don't happen in a vacuum.  Just because Will Smith has agency and is responsible for his actions doesn't mean that he isn't influenced by outside actors.  And I do think it's become pretty apparent that Jada is a pretty fucking toxic influencer.

That doesn't at all absolve Will of his responsibility.  It doesn't diminish his responsibility in the least.  Will is a tool.  We've all known that since he got Aunt Viv fired.  So yeah--Fuck Will Smith.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

What would have been interesting is if a similarly beloved actor with a squeaky clean image similar to Smith who's white, like say Tom Hanks, had done the same thing to Rock. How would that have been received? I can say with a high degree of certainty the Tiffany Haddish crowd wouldn't be applauding old Tom. 

Take your racist hypotheticals to Daily Texan

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Coming out that Chris Rock didn’t even write his set(I can’t confirm it). Lol some white boy wrote that joke and Rock got slapped for it.

I rose that speculation earlier. No funny joke man network telecast doesn't approve of the official script, particular in this day and age. It didn't look like he was going rogue, so one should assume that the joke had the approval of the producers, unless provided further detail to the contrary.

51 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

To me this is what makes excusing what Smith did either disingenuous or flat out insane. Many of those excusing it would have the opposite feelings if Smith wasn't a black man. Excusing actions based on the perpetrator's race is by definition racism. 

Smith was an idiot and way out of line no matter who he is or what he looks like. Just wish far more people were calling it out as such. 

Who's excusing Will Smith?  Other than apparently some comedian I never heard of who someone on this board went out of the way to locate.

2 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Since I'm guessing most didn't see anything else from the show, the other funny moment for me was an online vote for top "cheer-worthy" movie moments, apparently hijacked by Zack Snyder or DC comics fans.

They played a clip for each of the top 5 and number 1 was "The Flash enters the Speed Force" from Justice League. lmao

That was stunningly lame. Glad you reminded me. 

18 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Didn't thank Jada.

Just saying.

And just like that she will forget all about the slap to defend her honor and sulk the rest of the night because he didn’t mention her.  That will be a short lived reprieve.  

9 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Janet Jackson's nipple gets bared on national TV and the world goes insane.

Will Smith assaults a man on stage and nothing will happen to him.

Makes you understand how Harvey Weinstein got away with what he did for so long. Hollyweird has different rules.

uh, that's not hollywood, that's america. nudity and curse words = OMG SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN, meanwhile violence and murder and killings and guns permeate every single tv show, movie, and news broadcast.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dunno.  Men deal with hair loss, and the attendant joking all the time and for years.

And, frankly, black women deal with variations of hair loss and there are a fair number of "weave" jokes and whatnot to go with it, to the point that some are self-effacing.

I'm not sure that Jada is undergoing anything that a shitload of other black women have gone through. I don't think it is so unique as to single her out for any kind of special treatment.  I am pretty sure she's a diva and needs to get over herself, hair or no hair.

spacer.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I agree with everything you write.  I just don't see your basis for disagreement with what I wrote.

As I said--Will Smith has agency.  He decided to go up there and strike Chris Rock.  He is entirely responsible for his actions.

But things don't happen in a vacuum.  Just because Will Smith has agency and is responsible for his actions doesn't mean that he isn't influenced by outside actors.  And I do think it's become pretty apparent that Jada is a pretty fucking toxic influencer.

That doesn't at all absolve Will of his responsibility.  It doesn't diminish his responsibility in the least.  Will is a tool.  We've all known that since he got Aunt Viv fired.  So yeah--Fuck Will Smith.

We are pretty much in agreement. I don't give much if any weight to Jada's influence on what happened. I see someone else agreed with you on that, so maybe I'm out of touch.

To me, it was all Will Smith. You believe the same. I don't see the need even for a footnote about her influence on his decision to choose a violent act. Smith had many options. Hell, Rock looked amused and expectant of what Smith might do. Some banter. Some discussion. Not a blow to the face.

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I have a lot of experience with people suffering from dementia, and it's obvious she has it as well or was trained for the moment.

Using a song or music from the person's past is a well practiced technique to bring them back to the present. 

Well done Lady Gaga. You have my eternal respect.

She had experience from her time with Tony Bennett.  She's a good person.

2 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Tiffany Haddish is on Will Smith’s side after he slapped Chris Rock on stage at the 2022 Oscars Sunday night.

Haddish, who starred in the 2017 movie “Girls Trip” with Jada Pinkett Smith, told People that seeing “a black man stand up for his wife” meant “so much” to her.

“As a woman, who has been unprotected, for someone to say, ‘Keep my wife’s name out your mouth, leave my wife alone,’ that’s what your husband is supposed to do, right? Protect you,” she explained.

The comedian, 42, then reiterated, “That meant the world to me.”

However, the “Night School” star recognized that the world “might not like how it went down” even though, for her, it was “the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen because it made me believe that there are still men out there that love and care about their women, their wives.”

This is dumb.  I don't know exactly where the line is where it's justified to answer words with violence, but what we saw last night was nowhere close to it. 

That is some insecurity-driven bullshit there.

I used to like Will Smith - Fresh Prince, Independence Day, MiB, Bad Boys 1 and 2, Enemy of the State, I Am Legend.

Not to say I don’t like him now but I think he started taking himself too seriously. He quit taking fun roles and started taking serious roles that either weren’t good movies or he didn’t have the acting skills to make them work. And I remember him complaining about not ever getting Oscar nominations, so I just lost interest.

But I guess I don’t pay much attention to celebrity gossip. I’ve learned today that he’s into Scientology, likely crazy, and Jada either cheated on him or they have an open relationship? Not that I doubt any of these being true, but can someone share specifics on the crazy part and open relationship part?

6 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I used to like Will Smith - Fresh Prince, Independence Day, MiB, Bad Boys 1 and 2, Enemy of the State, I Am Legend.

Not to say I don’t like him now but I think he started taking himself too seriously. He quit taking fun roles and started taking serious roles that either weren’t good movies or he didn’t have the acting skills to make them work. And I remember him complaining about not ever getting Oscar nominations, so I just lost interest.

But I guess I don’t pay much attention to celebrity gossip. I’ve learned today that he’s into Scientology, likely crazy, and Jada either cheated on him or they have an open relationship? Not that I doubt any of these being true, but can someone share specifics on the crazy part and open relationship part?

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=will+smith+jada+pinkett+open+relationshiphttps://lmgtfy.app/?q=will+smith+jada+pinkett+open+relationshiphttps://lmgtfy.app/?q=will+smith+jada+pinkett+open+relationshiphttps://lmgtfy.app/#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=will smith jada pinkett open relationship

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure if this has been brought up but hearing someone else talk about it made me want to talk about it here. Another person Will Smith needs to apologize to is Questlove. His outburst upstaged what should've been a greater moment for Questlove. Instead of it being a celebration of a great documentary about an overshadowed musical festival in Harlem, everyone's attention was on whether the slap happened or not and what the hell did we just see. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Not sure if this has been brought up but hearing someone else talk about it made me want to talk about it here. Another person Will Smith needs to apologize to is Questlove. His outburst upstaged what should've been a greater moment for Questlove. Instead of it being a celebration of a great documentary about an overshadowed musical festival in Harlem, everyone's attention was on whether the slap happened or not and what the hell did we just see. 

It upstaged everyone that won, unfortunately. People should be talking about CODA today and how cool it is that it won. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Very long story short, Jada cheated on Will with one of their son's friends (who happens to be some rapper I've never heard of).  She apparently told Will to eat shit and that this is how it was going to be.  So now they're in an "open relationship" by her demand/diktat/ultimatum.

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

Who's excusing Will Smith?  Other than apparently some comedian I never heard of who someone on this board went out of the way to locate.

I’ve seen a lot of African American celebrities and entertainers tweets today, and the multitude of them seem to have at least appreciated, if not outright enjoyed and celebrated in, the slap.

Granted it was via listicles that collated for that specific consumption, but this thread’s demographic doesn’t live on that side of culture, but I can assure you this isn’t as one-sided of an L for Will Smith as this huge thread (sans dbeasy) would lead you to believe, out in the real world.

Edited by TurkeyChew

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Of all the rappers who have now won Oscars, clearly Will Smith was always the obvious choice for the one who would attack someone on stage and drop F bombs during the broadcast.  The gangsta subtext to “Parents Just Don’t Understand” and “Gettin Jiggy Wit It” foreshadowed all of this.

Will smith ain’t gotta cuss to sell records, but I do

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Very long story short, Jada cheated on Will with one of their son's friends (who happens to be some rapper I've never heard of).  She apparently told Will to eat shit and that this is how it was going to be.  So now they're in an "open relationship" by her demand/diktat/ultimatum.

I mean if Will really fucked Margot Robbie in response as his been rumored, you take that trade all day 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Hell, it made CODA winning Best Picture a fucking afterthought.

5 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

I’ve seen a lot of African American celebrities and entertainers tweets today, and the multitude of them seem to have at least appreciated, if not outright enjoyed and celebrated in, the slap. This thread’s demographic doesn’t live on that side of culture, but I can assure you this isn’t as one-sided of an L for Will Smith as this huge thread (sans dbeasy) would lead you to believe, out in the real world.

So African American celebrities tweets are the "real world" to you?  Got it.

Imagine if Will had simply stood up after the joke, emphasized straightening his jacket, checking his cuffs, and making any number of harmless but obvious gestures to Chris from his seat. 

The joke is diffused. Will is a sympathetic figure defending his wife with humor and style. Chris riffs off of it. The audience works in consort with the moment, and the message of "hey, don't cross over the line again" is expressed with dignity and humor.

But nah. 

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Will Smith fucked up royally, and it sullied what should have otherwise been his greatest moment as an actor.  But no one is talking about his Oscar, just his bitch move.  He lost big.

Is it really a bitch move?  Think how different the world would be today if Ted Cruz had some Will Smith in him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Is it really a bitch move?  Think how different the world would be today if Ted Cruz had some Will Smith in him.

It's a bitch move because no way in hell Rock thought for a second he was going to do that, and was totally unprepared.

15 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

I’ve seen a lot of African American celebrities and entertainers tweets today, and the multitude of them seem to have at least appreciated, if not outright enjoyed and celebrated in, the slap.

African-American celebrities / Hollywood entertainers are as out of touch and disconnected from mainstream American values as white celebrities / Hollywood entertainers?

Diversity achievement unlocked?

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Granted it was via listicles that collated for that specific consumption, but this thread’s demographic doesn’t live on that side of culture, but I can assure you this isn’t as one-sided of an L for Will Smith as this huge thread (sans dbeasy) would lead you to believe, out in the real world.

I don’t know what’s funnier the fact you felt the need to tell us what black twitter was thinking on this, or that you went back and edited your original post to make it clear you weren’t actively monitoring black twitter, that you used a third party lol.  Please tell us more about what this totally unknown subculture of twitter is thinking. 😂😂😂

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2