Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Agree with everything you said but the last part.  This ain't cancelling them.

Scientology, his cuck status, her clear abuse of him, their crazy kids - the whole world became highly aware of how toxic this family is. They may not be cancelled, but nobody is gonna watch their shit anymore. At some point he’ll tire of bankrolling himself in money losing ventures. Just wait. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

They may not be cancelled, but nobody is gonna watch their shit anymore. 

Doubtful. Have you not been paying attention to the the horrible human beings  our country can't get enough of solely because they are celebrities?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Doubtful. Have you not been paying attention to the the horrible human beings  our country can't get enough of solely because they are celebrities?

Not to mention the ones who are celebrities primarily because of how horrible they are

On 3/28/2022 at 11:37 AM, RomaVicta said:

I think Rock took a moment to pick his best course of action. He decided, like a responsible adult, not to throw gas on the fire. He could have chosen to obliquely needle Smith instead of the direct insult described above. Rock is wit. He thankfully held his fire because he kept sight on what would be best on a world stage.

As I said on another post, I would not want to be the person Rock is focusing his anger at with a mic in his hand.

Fuck Will Smith. His good guy image from the past will sustain much of his popularity even though it shouldn't. 

Smith's carefully crafted image took a hit that he won't easily recover from. "A lifetime to earn, seconds to ruin"  
Chris taking it on the cheek and handling it so well, in contrast, made it even worse for Smith

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Scientology, his cuck status, her clear abuse of him, their crazy kids - the whole world became highly aware of how toxic this family is. They may not be cancelled, but nobody is gonna watch their shit anymore. At some point he’ll tire of bankrolling himself in money losing ventures. Just wait. 

Are you new to this country?

• Haha 1

I didn't watch the Oscars much less see this live but it was impossible to ignore the next morning as it was, quite literally, everywhere.  Front page of every news site I visit and the virtual front page of the only social media site I check, Twitter.

So I saw a couple of clips and then looked for the unedited feed to maybe get more context and found one that was like the full 90s or so from the joke until Chris Rock 'recovered' and went into his documentary award or whatever it was.

At first watch, in real time, I thought it had to be a bit.  Smith is clearly laughing at the joke as the camera cuts to him after.  Even when he walks up to Rock, Rock is sort of standing there weird, like he's waiting for something.  The slap was a surprise but I still thought it had to be a bit.  When Smith is walking back he looks like he is smirking or something to me, maybe he's just looking to.Jada for approval though.  Anyway when he starts yelling at him from the seat then I thought "Was that real?"

I don't know if it was 100% unscripted and authentic.  I am blown away though that he could have done something like that and not get kicked out of the event.  More than anything that is what makes me still consider it might have been at least partially scripted.  Celebrity and wealth privilege aside, the Oscars don't have security empowered to do something like that?  What would have happened if two people got into a physical altercation in the audience over some real or imagined slight?  Nothing?  There is not one person in charge who could have made the call to eject him?  We live in an era where taking a swing at someone on a football field will get you sent to the locker room and this dude can slap someone on live TV and just go sit down?  And then to discover minutes later he wins his award, gets let on stage and crys and shows no remorse or accountability and gets a fucking standing ovation?  That's fucking crazy to me even for Hollywood dipshits.

As for whether or not Rock knew about her condition...who gives a fuck.  He's a comedian doing his job and they are public figures and 100% fair game.  You go to these things and you can expect to be roasted if you are famous and have some roastable shit out there.  No bald jokes allowed now?  No fat jokes allowed either I guess?  FWIW, I didn't know about her condition but I knew about their open marriage.  Would he have gotten slapped for talking about that?  It looked like in the immediate aftermath he wanted to bring that up, I wish he would have.

Finally comparing this to any political conspiracy is laughable.  The conspiracy here would be two actors were acting?

7 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I knew this country was done when the "cash me outside how bou dat" girl became famous.

I heard she's running for Congress to make a new Quad Squad with a few other members of stellar intelligence.  

What's the old saying, "You get the leaders you deserve."  We deserve spending a week debating Smith/Rock slapfest while the rest of the globe is working on real shit.  This Oscars shit is actually an upgrade compared to what a plurality of this country usually focuses on.  

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Will Smith was afraid that he'd no longer be an A-list celebrity if Americans thought he was divorced?

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148865wytz4eks9sz0nlng8

Not at all. 

Might be a problem if your wife who is in reality your beard and knows you like to swing both ways divorces you and all that shit comes out as things like that tend to do in divorces.

While obviously lots of people wouldn't care if Will came out of the closet, you have to remember this guy has made a career on family-friendly films.  Oh, and he has a wife, kids, etc. and has been putting up that facade his entire life.  Of course, he's already box-office cancer so maybe it actually would help his career.

Why would an ultra-wealthy, good lookin', famous as fuck dude put up with that shit otherwise?  Why would he flip out and go ballistic over a weak as fuck joke in front of the entire world?  Or are we saying Jada's got the best goddamn pussy on the planet?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I heard she's running for Congress to make a new Quad Squad with a few other members of stellar intelligence.  

What's the old saying, "You get the leaders you deserve."  We deserve spending a week debating Smith/Rock slapfest while the rest of the globe is working on real shit.  This Oscars shit is actually an upgrade compared to what a plurality of this country usually focuses on.  

This thread is 18 pages in two days, while the Good Things in the World thread is three pages in six months. Seems like sometimes we aren’t as intellectual as we think we are. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This thread is 18 pages in two days, while the Good Things in the World thread is three pages in six months. Seems like sometimes we aren’t as intellectual as we think we are. 

While I get your general point I’m not sure people being intellectual and people not feeling like there are good things in the world quite connect the way you want them to.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The biggest question I still have (and we'll probably never get an answer to), is "What is the joke Rock wanted to say after the slap?" 

How much would you pay to hear the joke? If Chris Rock went on Twitter and said, "Send me $x and I'll DM you the joke." what is your x? And obviously in this scenario the joke would leak in seconds, but imagine that everyone who paid for it signed an NDA and never spoke. 

Being just a surly 99%er, I'll say $20-$40.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

15 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

The biggest question I still have (and we'll probably never get an answer to), is "What is the joke Rock wanted to say after the slap?" 

How much would you pay to hear the joke? If Chris Rock went on Twitter and said, "Send me $x and I'll DM you the joke." what is your x? And obviously in this scenario the joke would leak in seconds, but imagine that everyone who paid for it signed an NDA and never spoke. 

Being just a surly 99%er, I'll say $20-$40.

Damn, Jada slapped me harder than that riding me cowgirl in between voice acting sessions on the Madagascar set. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil

7 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Since we're already fighting

Counter-point:

https://kareem.substack.com/p/will-smith-did-a-bad-bad-thing?utm_campaign=post&utm_source=direct&s=r

Will Smith Did a Bad, Bad Thing

Slapping Chris Rock was also a blow to men, women, the entertainment industry, and the Black community.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Mar 28

When Will Smith stormed onto the Oscar stage to strike Chris Rock for making a joke about his wife’s short hair, he did a lot more damage than just to Rock’s face. With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community. 

That’s a lot to unpack. Let’s start with the facts: Rock made a reference to Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, as looking like Demi Moore in GI Jane, in which Moore had shaved her head. Jada Pinkett Smith suffers from alopecia, which causes hair loss. Ok, I can see where the Smiths might not have found that joke funny. But Hollywood awards shows are traditionally a venue where much worse things have been said about celebrities as a means of downplaying the fact that it’s basically a gathering of multimillionaires giving each other awards to boost business so they can make even more money.

The Smiths could have reacted by politely laughing along with the joke or by glowering angrily at Rock. Instead, Smith felt the need to get up in front of his industry peers and millions of people around the world, hit another man, then return to his seat to bellow: “Keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth.” Twice.

This is a reader-supported newsletter. I hope you enjoy reading my thoughts and why I take the time to write. Both free and paid subscriptions are available. The best way to join the community and support my work is by taking out a paid subscription.

Some have romanticized Smith’s actions as that of a loving husband defending his wife. Comedian Tiffany Haddish, who starred in the movie Girls Trip with Pinkett Smith, praised Smith’s actions: “[F]or me, it was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen because it made me believe that there are still men out there that love and care about their women, their wives.” 

Actually, it was the opposite. Smith’s slap was also a slap to women. If Rock had physically attacked Pinkett Smith, Smith’s intervention would have been welcome. Or if he’d remained in his seat and yelled his post-slap threat, that would have been unnecessary, but understandable. But by hitting Rock, he announced that his wife was incapable of defending herself—against words. From everything I’d seen of Pinkett Smith over the years, she’s a very capable, tough, smart woman who can single-handedly take on a lame joke at the Academy Awards show.

This patronizing, paternal attitude infantilizes women and reduces them to helpless damsels needing a Big Strong Man to defend their honor least they swoon from the vapors. If he was really doing it for his wife, and not his own need to prove himself, he might have thought about the negative attention this brought on them, much harsher than the benign joke. That would have been truly defending and respecting her. This “women need men to defend them” is the same justification currently being proclaimed by conservatives passing laws to restrict abortion and the LGBTQ+ community. 

Worse than the slap was Smith’s tearful, self-serving acceptance speech in which he rambled on about all the women in the movie King Richard that he’s protected. Those who protect don’t brag about it in front of 15 million people. They just do it and shut up. You don’t do it as a movie promotion claiming how you’re like the character you just won an award portraying. By using these women to virtue signal, he was in fact exploiting them to benefit himself. But, of course, the speech was about justifying his violence. Apparently, so many people need Smith’s protection that occasionally it gets too much and someone needs to be smacked.

What is the legacy of Smith’s violence? He’s brought back the Toxic Bro ideal of embracing Kobra Kai teachings of “might makes right” and “talk is for losers.” Let’s not forget that this macho John Wayne philosophy was expressed in two movies in which Wayne spanked grown women to teach them a lesson. Young boys—especially Black boys—watching their movie idol not just hit another man over a joke, but then justify it as him being a superhero-like protector, are now much more prone to follow in his childish footsteps. Perhaps the saddest confirmation of this is the tweet from Smith’s child Jaden: “And That’s How We Do It.”

The Black community also takes a direct hit from Smith. One of the main talking points from those supporting the systemic racism in America is characterizing Blacks as more prone to violence and less able to control their emotions. Smith just gave comfort to the enemy by providing them with the perfect optics they were dreaming of. Fox News host Jeanine Pirro wasted no time going full-metal jacket racist by declaring the Oscars are “not the hood.” What would she have said if Brad Pitt slapped Ricky Gervais? This isn’t Rodeo Drive? Many will be reinvigorated to continue their campaign to marginalize African Americans and others through voter suppression campaign.

As for the damage to show business, Smith’s violence is an implied threat to all comedians who now have to worry that an edgy or insulting joke might be met with violence. Good thing Don Rickles, Bill Burr, or Ricky Gervais weren’t there. As comedian Kathy Griffin tweeted: “Now we all have to worry about who wants to be the next Will Smith in comedy clubs and theaters.” 

The one bright note is that Chris Rock, clearly stunned, managed to handle the moment with grace and maturity. If only Smith’s acceptance speech had shown similar grace and maturity—and included, instead of self-aggrandizing excuses, a heartfelt apology to Rock.

I met Will Smith when I appeared on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air 28 years ago. And I’ve been to his house. I like him. He’s charming, sincere, and funny. I’m also a big fan of his movies. He’s an accomplished and dedicated actor who deserves the professional accolades he’s received. But it will be difficult to watch the next movie without remembering this sad performance.

I don’t want to see him punished or ostracized because of this one, albeit a big one, mistake. I just want this to be a cautionary tale for others not to romanticize or glorify bad behavior. And I want Smith to be the man who really protects others—by admitting the harm he’s done to others.

Update: Since this article was first published, Will Smith has issued an apology to Chris Rock, the Academy, and the audience. In part, he posted:

“Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally,” Smith wrote. “I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hozz said:

I didn't watch the Oscars much less see this live but it was impossible to ignore the next morning as it was, quite literally, everywhere.  Front page of every news site I visit and the virtual front page of the only social media site I check, Twitter.

So I saw a couple of clips and then looked for the unedited feed to maybe get more context and found one that was like the full 90s or so from the joke until Chris Rock 'recovered' and went into his documentary award or whatever it was.

At first watch, in real time, I thought it had to be a bit.  Smith is clearly laughing at the joke as the camera cuts to him after.  Even when he walks up to Rock, Rock is sort of standing there weird, like he's waiting for something.  The slap was a surprise but I still thought it had to be a bit.  When Smith is walking back he looks like he is smirking or something to me, maybe he's just looking to.Jada for approval though.  Anyway when he starts yelling at him from the seat then I thought "Was that real?"

I don't know if it was 100% unscripted and authentic.  I am blown away though that he could have done something like that and not get kicked out of the event.  More than anything that is what makes me still consider it might have been at least partially scripted.  Celebrity and wealth privilege aside, the Oscars don't have security empowered to do something like that?  What would have happened if two people got into a physical altercation in the audience over some real or imagined slight?  Nothing?  There is not one person in charge who could have made the call to eject him?  We live in an era where taking a swing at someone on a football field will get you sent to the locker room and this dude can slap someone on live TV and just go sit down?  And then to discover minutes later he wins his award, gets let on stage and crys and shows no remorse or accountability and gets a fucking standing ovation?  That's fucking crazy to me even for Hollywood dipshits.

As for whether or not Rock knew about her condition...who gives a fuck.  He's a comedian doing his job and they are public figures and 100% fair game.  You go to these things and you can expect to be roasted if you are famous and have some roastable shit out there.  No bald jokes allowed now?  No fat jokes allowed either I guess?  FWIW, I didn't know about her condition but I knew about their open marriage.  Would he have gotten slapped for talking about that?  It looked like in the immediate aftermath he wanted to bring that up, I wish he would have.

Finally comparing this to any political conspiracy is laughable.  The conspiracy here would be two actors were acting?

Long cat. TLDR

15 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Thank you.  I think I speak for the entire forum when I say that we were anxiously waiting for some newb who didn't even watch the show to drop a Derkaesque wall of text on us explaining his take after 900 previous posts.  Well done!

if I want to be a dick, I can speak for myself.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I mean everyone’s take on a video makes me understand the Bible better. Like if God came down to earth and said “what’s up bitches?” And it was filmed and witnessed by millions, millions more would have an alternative take…because. 

all I know is Will seems like a weird mofo. And his wife is batshit from the few episodes of her talk show online I watched. She is like Tom Cruise’s Mimi Rogers! And we know Mimi is the reason Tom went Scientology. 

Them bigass titties can be quite convincing.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been clear on my opinion of the event, but there is one thing going on in the thread I have an opinion on.

I don't care about nor do I see it as relevant whatever is going on in Will Smith's private life or that of his wife. As long as a person isn't hurting anyone or making me watch, they can run their lives as they please. 

The recorded fact of Smith's despicable attack on Chris Rock is about as straighforward as we can ask for.

I'll also say that I really liked Jim Carrey's remarks posted above. That the audience treated Smith as though nothing had happened was stomach turning. Dead silence would have been powerful instead of cheering. I suspect many simply didn't know what to do or hadn't processed the implications of applauding Smith, so they remained on auto-pilot. It's surprising no person took the lead.

Again, Jim Carrey's remarks are worth a review up above.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Greta, great take.  Jim knows a little something as well about the struggles of mental health and fighting your own demons.  In the end as so many have already stated, if the Rock of Jason Mamoa were up there and said that, Smith more than likely stays in his seat.  He outweighs Chris by probably 30-40lbs.  Weak sauce all around.