MaybeACoordinator has passed away - Official Farewell Thread

Brisketexan

17 hours ago, mycox said:

The Houston Press Article isn't online anymore. He walked from Highway 6 to Elgin with friend. 

11 hours ago, msbesq said:

He started at West Oaks Mall and finished at The Maple Leaf Bar. We started at Sylvia’s Enchiladas and also finished at The Maple Leaf Bar.

That is a pretty long drive. Unimaginable as a walk. The man has my admiration. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Damn this sucks, I talked with him on FB at times about his articles in the Houston Press. Really liked that dude, was jealous his username was sweetjones and if you know Houston rap makes it a great name. 

15 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I would have paid a small fortune to listen to MAC and RDC…well…just shoot the gotdamn breeze, if I’m being honest.  This place attracts characters, and it’s like my favorite corner of the internet becomes a little darker when one passes on.  

I wasn’t as familiar with MAC as many of you were, so my words ring pretty hollow…but guys like him are the Machi Cure at Uchi in an otherwise soulless landscape of flash-frozen, microwaved fish sticks that goes for storytelling in the Tik Tok age.  Glad his legacy will live on through his long form. 

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die” - HST

That’s was really well said.  But it’s even more amazing if you read it in Sam Elliott’s voice like I did after I saw RDC…well….   I don’t know why, maybe the edible but it really works. Lol

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

His article about his mom got to me like really got to me. Maybe the trauma - not the same but a lot of us share a common experience when you talk about childhood trauma. Maybe it’s how close he was to my musical epicenter (I named my son after Guy Clark), maybe how he passed is too similar to a friend I lost that I still miss most days.  Seems like some of you might be having a hard time too. Not sure what to say.

So I made a playlist. It wasn’t planned, I was listening to Bonnie Raitt of all artists and one thing led to another. It’s for him but for you fellas too. it’s ok to be sad, some times our sadness is all we can really call our own. 

Sorry you’re gone MAC. I’m tired of loss, I bet you are too.  

that is a damn fine playlist

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

First time I met him, actually a couple days before he came up from Houston, he asked me if I wanted some baseball cards. I still don't know jack about baseball cards, but I said sure, why not. So he sent me some phone pics of baseball cards on top of a wardrobe. Also, at the time, as happens to artists and writers, he said he was almost dead broke.

I see the photo but all my eyes latch onto are a familiar orange coin amongst the cards and clutter. I call him up.

"Yo dude, is that a coin? Does it have a bald-headed dude facing left? Does it say 'Diez Pesos?'"

Yes, yes, yes.

"Dude that's a quarter ounce of gold. You aren't broke duuude, you got gold."

So when he pulls up in Bama he wants to take them to a coin shop or something. He has multiple small gold coins. I'm like "No need" because I want to buy them. We jump on the internet, split the difference between what a coin shop would pay and charge, and kaching.

I was like "How long have you had that gold?" He said " I just thought it was an old gold-colored Mexican coin." Which it quite literally was. They belonged to his late uncle, who died very young in the 80s(?) I had him teach me the uncle's name so I could thank him.

Next day my wife came in on the train from Philadelphia. About the only thing we splurge on are sleeper cars to and from Philadelphia. Johnny took in the power of the big-ass locomotives rumbling in, and he was hooked. A few days later he was on that train headed to Virginia on the next step of his Scotch-Irish pilgrimage. While we waited on the platform, we saw one semi-attractive woman among the lumpish mob.

"That's an Amtrak 8," we both said.

Months later he came back through, children in tow, and as happens with artists and writers, I was broke but he had money. He took us all out for pizza.

The very best thing about unemployment is not the time off to do shit, but the fact that no matter how many times you are flat ass broke nobody knows your company is insolvent.

Unless they look in your refrigerator. 

11 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

The very best thing about unemployment is not the time off to do shit, but the fact that no matter how many times you are flat ass broke nobody knows your company is insolvent.

Unless they look in your refrigerator. 

"Broke" was a relative term. One look at my gut back then would tell you our refrigerator wasn't empty.

12 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

"Broke" was a relative term. One look at my gut back then would tell you our refrigerator wasn't empty.

Well, you are a writer. You cannot let yourself waste away and interfere with a robust synapse response. We all know that mistreating your pyloric valve could kill you….or worse, lead down the slow, painful path to normalcy.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

that is a damn fine playlist

I’m on my 4th time through since I made it last night, lotta feels about how shitty being a human really can be sometimes with a twinge of hope, optimism and celebrating the fact that I can feel anything, something at all, if you like this kinda music I have to agree it’s pretty solid. I’m clearing out some gunk with it as I type. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/10/2023 at 11:10 AM, G650 said:

I did not know that. Was Alan Lomax his grandfather?

Otis Gibbs has some podcasts of his dad. Definitely worth a listen.

Here's part 1

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9vdGlzZ2liYnMuY29tL2NhdGVnb3J5L3BvZGNhc3QvZmVlZC8/episode/aHR0cDovL290aXNnaWJicy5jb20vP3A9MTIzOQ?ep=14

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

First time I met him, actually a couple days before he came up from Houston, he asked me if I wanted some baseball cards. I still don't know jack about baseball cards, but I said sure, why not. So he sent me some phone pics of baseball cards on top of a wardrobe. Also, at the time, as happens to artists and writers, he said he was almost dead broke.

I see the photo but all my eyes latch onto are a familiar orange coin amongst the cards and clutter. I call him up.

"Yo dude, is that a coin? Does it have a bald-headed dude facing left? Does it say 'Diez Pesos?'"

Yes, yes, yes.

"Dude that's a quarter ounce of gold. You aren't broke duuude, you got gold."

So when he pulls up in Bama he wants to take them to a coin shop or something. He has multiple small gold coins. I'm like "No need" because I want to buy them. We jump on the internet, split the difference between what a coin shop would pay and charge, and kaching.

I was like "How long have you had that gold?" He said " I just thought it was an old gold-colored Mexican coin." Which it quite literally was. They belonged to his late uncle, who died very young in the 80s(?) I had him teach me the uncle's name so I could thank him.

Next day my wife came in on the train from Philadelphia. About the only thing we splurge on are sleeper cars to and from Philadelphia. Johnny took in the power of the big-ass locomotives rumbling in, and he was hooked. A few days later he was on that train headed to Virginia on the next step of his Scotch-Irish pilgrimage. While we waited on the platform, we saw one semi-attractive woman among the lumpish mob.

"That's an Amtrak 8," we both said.

Months later he came back through, children in tow, and as happens with artists and writers, I was broke but he had money. He took us all out for pizza.

So, the two of you are among our most creative, eclectic, and perhaps eccentric posters.  Fits that you were friends in the real world.

Did you meet through this site?  It seems like a number of people knew him from other connections.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

On 5/10/2023 at 6:34 AM, deadshank said:

Did not know MAC’s real-life identity until today.   Have enjoyed his articles over the years and possibly met him years ago.   

Death stings in so many ways.  

Same here. Always read his stuff...had no idea reposted here.

I found out a few years ago that he was married to a friend of mines sister. Always thought that was kinda cool, he was a minor celebrity (in my eyes) here in Houston.

RIP MAC

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Oh man, I hate to hear this.  I figured out who he was IRL back when he was sweetjones/upgrayyed but didn't realize he'd switched monikers again on here.  As a fan of both good music writing and Texana, I got to be a big fan of his work.  I will miss reading his future takes on the Lone Star State and everything else.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, I mean.....are we at the Lee Corso spot here?

giphy.gif

I dunno.

But, here's the most recent update from his ex:

So....I'ma do that.  Would love for MAC to stick around.

Come on, motherfucker.  Pull it out!

On 5/9/2023 at 11:25 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Instead on dwelling on his end, feel free to take a look at the legacy he made.  Books on Amazon, articles in Houston publications, and articles in many other places, including 244 Texas Monthly articles.

On 5/9/2023 at 2:21 PM, troph said:

this is a great article.... https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/guy-clarks-my-favorite-picture-of-you/

I was hoping MAC was older.  I lost a friend the same way, brutal.

On 5/9/2023 at 2:27 PM, RDCanecutter said:

You'd probably like these too. Worth the price of admission.

https://www.patreon.com/johnnovalomax

On 5/9/2023 at 2:27 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Gonna be missed around these parts.

Didn't know him but he was quite the story teller. As we near Mother's Day, a story he wrote a decade ago about his mother that gives you some great insight into his life:

https://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-city-life/2013/07/of-unknown-origin-july-2013

On 5/9/2023 at 8:53 PM, TwiceHorn said:

On 5/10/2023 at 1:51 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Man, this really sucks. RIP.

He PMd me about using my post in his enchilada article.

https://texashighways.com/travel-news/for-the-best-enchiladas-in-texas-go-back-to-school-in-san-antonio/

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to MaybeACoordinator has passed away - Official Farewell Thread
  • immamac unpinned this topic