You fucking Texans are loons

Gil Bang

You non-Texans will be loons soon enough.  Texas is the flagship red state, and a test bed for radical conservative policy. Everything you see that looks insane in Texas will be nationalized when they have a preponderance of federal power again.

You have to give it to the GQP -- they are strong willed, organized, cunning and consistent.  It is sad watching them politically lapping the democrats over and over.

• Rage+1 5

Did anyone else visit a plantation at some point as a kid and then later realize how fucked up that was? We should really be calling them slave labor camps.

Visited one with my son when he was about 10. As he reviewed the displays, he turned to me and said “this is a bad place, bad things happened here. We should leave.” Realized he was spot-on.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I can't find this on google.  Usually these kinds of controversies originate with the Texas State Board of Education who actually make the decisions on content.

From the Dallas Observer 2015 which supports what I've read over the years:

The Texas State Board of Education, the body that decides what millions of Texas schoolchildren should and shouldn't learn, is the frequent subject of ridicule, and rightly so, what with its penchant for pushing creationism into science curricula, identifying Moses as an architect of the U.S. Constitution, chalking up the Civil War to a battle over states' rights rather than slavery and otherwise shaping science and history in service of a right-wing, Christian-conservative agenda. 

From even further back in 1982, Texas Monthly, there was a family called the Gablers who showed up every year before the TSBE to argue for Christian and conservative slants going back to the 1960s.

I've read news about the board for a long time and someone near to me works at TEA. TEA is forbidden from advocacy. Their job is to execute policies determined by the Texas Lege. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

this can't be true. i mean i literally just bailed on the state yesterday with a big old 🖕 on the way out... but this seems too fucked up.

of course, Brisket has literally been right about everything so far, sooo...

2BC91299-4F82-4CF1-BD70-6E7111221069.thumb.jpeg.ac9ea5ab0f0cee9dbcf7d234279e6b32.jpeg.23a4d11ea6b4a3c7e0aa498b126cdbe9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

27 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Did anyone else visit a plantation at some point as a kid and then later realize how fucked up that was? We should really be calling them slave labor camps.

My first teaching job was at a 95% Black school. Not a bad gig and they were forgiving of my rookie gaffes.

Our Christmas faculty party was me and one of two other White teachers, and a couple dozen colleagues who were (and no doubt still are) Black.

At a restaurant called "The Plantation Inn." Had a blast, even when a guy did that thing to me where a Black dude tells jokes about Black people to a White Dude to watch the White Dude squirm. The Plantation Gotdam Inn. On the edge of a damn swamp.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm not sure this is how it works. I don't think the TEA determines curriculum, the SBOE does. So it should be the SBOE is proposing to change slavery to involuntary relocation.

I'm going to guess that one nutbar in the SBOE social studies curriculum committee made this proposal, but it still has to be discussed, voted on, passed, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m surprised these assholes still acknowledge that slavery was involuntary. The people who run our state aren’t just dumb. They’re dishonest, defensive, and shameless. And of course, they are dumb, too. Very, very dumb. 

I used to be proud to be a Texan. Now I’m disgusted and ashamed. When people ask where I’m from, I lie or change the subject or say something like “Texas, unfortunately.” 

Fuck the angry, selfish dummies who ruined Texas.

I was just in Italy for a couple of weeks and I very much hesitated when someone asked where I was from.  About half the time I said America and once even said Canada.  Those went over better than Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Visited one with my son when he was about 10. As he reviewed the displays, he turned to me and said “this is a bad place, bad things happened here. We should leave.” Realized he was spot-on.

Reminds me of the time I visited Monticello as a UVA student.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was just in Italy for a couple of weeks and I very much hesitated when someone asked where I was from.  About half the time I said America and once even said Canada.  Those went over better than Texas.

i entertained doing my best nolan ryan

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

While we are at it I propose the following additional changes:

"Lynching"  -->  "gravity induced dyspnea"

"Racism" -->  "Exuberant Racial Pride"

"Rape"  -->  "Unexpected cervical exam"

"Extrajudicial Execution" --> "Officer-Involved Shooting"

• Rage+1 1

Let me tell you a story about a young MIA.

I come from a southern family thats been here since the Texas revolution. We still have land given to the family as payment for a few of us fighting Santa Anna.

They turned it into a pecan plantation and my folks still have pics of it and the whole family with their relocated help.

I remember my grandmother having estate staff made up entirely of black folks. 

The most repulsive thing I remember was that they were called N-word before their first name every time. Even as a 5 year old I knew it was wrong. These people took care of me when I would be there for the summer.  Pretty sure the hot maid who fed me every day is the reason I prefer black women today.

This is less than 50 years ago. I'm surprised the Civil rights act ever saw the light of day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, GenXer said:

As someone that is a product of Oklahoma public education, I wonder how the Oklahoma schools will differentiate the trail of tears from slavery when (not if) this takes hold in Oklahoma.

Hayride of liberal feelings* 

49 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I lived in Scotland in the 80s. As a high school student and saying you were from Texas was better than being a generic “Yank”.  This was at the height of Dallas the tv show and everyone wanted to know about Texas.  Shit’s gone downhill since then.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m surprised these assholes still acknowledge that slavery was involuntary. The people who run our state aren’t just dumb. They’re dishonest, defensive, and shameless. And of course, they are dumb, too. Very, very dumb. 

I used to be proud to be a Texan. Now I’m disgusted and ashamed. When people ask where I’m from, I lie or change the subject or say something like “Texas, unfortunately.” 

Fuck the angry, selfish dummies who ruined Texas.

I have friends who live in other states who feel sorry for me. It’s like they think I live in under apartheid.

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

You non-Texans will be loons soon enough.  Texas is the flagship red state, and a test bed for radical conservative policy. Everything you see that looks insane in Texas will be nationalized when they have a preponderance of federal power again.

You have to give it to the GQP -- they are strong willed, organized, cunning and consistent.  It is sad watching them politically lapping the democrats over and over.

Not sure about that anymore. We’re not as red as we once were. SBOE will never adopt this. I wonder what the fucking purpose of that even is?  Is this a liberal group suggesting this, insinuating slavery is too offensive for kids’ ears?

If a GQP initiative, why?  It serves no whitewashing purpose whatsoever. 

20 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Haha wtf? Involuntary relocation aka kidnapping doesn't even make it sound better. I guess the idea is to whitewash all the horrors that happened after the relocation was complete.

As bad as bondage was in America, I still have a hard time coming to grips with the actual crossing of the Middle Passage. The things that took place on those ships were indescribably horrific, which doesn't even begin to do them justice. I can't comprehend it. 

• Rage+1 4

9 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Not sure about that anymore. We’re not as red as we once were. SBOE will never adopt this. I wonder what the fucking purpose of that even is?  Is this a liberal group suggesting this, insinuating slavery is too offensive for kids’ ears?

That was my initial reaction as well, but like I posted above, I think the idea is that it limits the injustice to the single act of relocating slaves across the Atlantic. After that everything was cool! Get over it!

12 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I really doubt this is a liberal effort, lol really? I suppose maybe because telling lies is one of the tactics of fascism... get people used to them. 

24 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You really seem too stupid to function.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, kibbles said:

Civil rights museum tour in Memphis starts with an exhibit of the middle passage. Unbelievably horrible.

Great museum though, stop in if you pass through.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

FAKE NEWS!  CRT!  MAGA!

32 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

That was my initial reaction as well, but like I posted above, I think the idea is that it limits the injustice to the single act of relocating slaves across the Atlantic. After that everything was cool! Get over it!

Here is an illustration of a loaded slave ship. Zoom in for effect

Seraphic-768x305.jpg

• Rage+1 4

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

As bad as bondage was in America, I still have a hard time coming to grips with the actual crossing of the Middle Passage. The things that took place on those ships were indescribably horrific, which doesn't even begin to do them justice. I can't comprehend it. 

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History covers the Atlantic slave trade in pretty nauseating detail. 

47 minutes ago, kibbles said:

Civil rights museum tour in Memphis starts with an exhibit of the middle passage. Unbelievably horrible.

Great museum though, stop in if you pass through.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yep I went a few years ago. Holy shit that place made me tear up more than once