Raise a toast to the Crawford, AR Sheriff's office. So brave, such heroes

Gil Bang

They don't run together, per se, but their jurisdictions overlap so it's not at all uncommon for one department to respond to a backup request from another.  I don't know anything more than what I could stomach from watching that vid but my guess is cop 1 requested backup to make an arrest and 2 and 3 came together.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

They don't run together, per se, but their jurisdictions overlap so it's not at all uncommon for one department to respond to a backup request from another.  I don't know anything more than what I could stomach from watching that vid but my guess is cop 1 requested backup to make an arrest and 2 and 3 came together.

Typically, a sheriff is a county LEA, while PD are city-level.

In big counties in Texas, most of the territory is covered by a PD and the sheriff gets unincorporated areas and the county jail.  Technically, their jurisdictions overlap, but mostly general policing is done by PD.

In more rural counties, with fewer cities/towns, or fewer towns with PDs, the sheriff has more general jurisdiction and they overlap.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

At what point does believing interacting with cops is life threatening become the reasonable person’s conclusion? And we know how much latitude that reasonable belief gives an individual.

we will soon see someone shoot and kill a police officer in the name of their own or someone else’s self defense.

• Hook 'Em 2

The guy getting arrested WAS resisting, to the extent any of us would when we're literally getting our head bashed in.

The cop in the middle appears to have been focused on securing the arms for handcuffing- he delivered no strikes and he'll say that he didn't know what the others were doing.  Guy in the back delivering knee strikes is going to have to hope his department trains them as a method to overcome "resistance". Still bullshit and excessive, but may work enough to only get him fired.  Fucker at the head is going to prison- full stop.

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Obviously the guy being pummeled by 3 officers made a menacing movement that caused those heroes to feel threatened and that their lives were in danger.

The guy who was savagely beaten is fortunate he wasn’t shot to death.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Odd that’s it’s two departments represented by the 3 heroes. Do police and sheriffs usually run together?  Was there a general call for backup to handle this one person?

In small towns, yes they do.

Damn, upon further review, Crawford, AR has a pop of 61,948.

Seems like the positive of having 2 Dept's involved would be one of them telling the other to back the fuck off.  Obviously that went right out the window along with the self-restraint and dignity.

The only real answer to excessive force is making it illegal to film cops beating people of color.  After all, citizens with cameras are just another form of pesky whistleblowers.  

Edited by Mdhorn

Police report:

We were beating the suspect because he wouldn't comply with our orders. He insisted on keeping his arms around his head, so we were forced to beat his head harder and more frequently.

The suspect still refused to remove his arms from around his head, so we had no choice but to bang his head on the curb. Blue lives matter. 

• Rage+1 1

MULBERRY, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — UPDATE: The man in the video has been identified as Randal Ray Worcester, 27, of Goose Creek South Carolina. He was taken to a hospital with minor head injuries after resisting arrest. He is facing charges of:

Battery in the second degree

Assault in the first degree

Resisting arrest refusal to submit to arrest

Possessing instrument of criminal trespass

Criminal mischief in the second degree

Terroristic threatening in the first degree

Assault in the second degree

29 minutes ago, RPM said:

MULBERRY, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — UPDATE: The man in the video has been identified as Randal Ray Worcester, 27, of Goose Creek South Carolina. He was taken to a hospital with minor head injuries after resisting arrest. He is facing charges of:

For purposes of this discussion it does not matter. He was apprehended, subdued and controlled by three PEACE officers. He should be in the back of the patrol car handcuffed and headed to lock up. The excess violence is unacceptable for all and even the worse offenders.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, troph said:

For purposes of this discussion it does not matter. He was apprehended, subdued and controlled by three PEACE officers. He should be in the back of the patrol car handcuffed and headed to lock up. The excess violence is unacceptable for all and even the worse offenders.

Come on troph…you know that these guys cannot reach sexual climax without being judge/jury/executioner on at least one alleged criminal per shift. 

fuck these sadists and their enablers and defenders. If you do not find that clip grossly offensive you should probably get a mental health screening. 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

I'm assuming all of those are from when the cops were beating him. Their fists and knees were battered something fierce. 

I'm assuming all of those are from when the cops were beating him. Their fists and knees were battered something fierce. 

The only charge that didn’t “occur” during the beating was the criminal mischief charge but that was probably trumped up to have an excuse to approach the victim.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

When they noticed the camera, they magically gained the strength to control the suspect without beating him.

So much this. Not only did they magically gain complete control of him, they no longer even needed their hands. They didn’t even need to concentrate on him. They were beating him purely for their own satisfaction. 

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Lol at “minor” injuries. Wonder how long he stays in the hospital for recovery before they bring him in for mugshots? Bet they don’t rush that process along too much

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Video not too different than that sparked riots in the 1990s.  Maybe we’ll get a protest out of this. 

When we talk about creeping authoritarianism in our country, look at how resigned we have become to police violence. 

Yes, but it will be a great boon for black artists, actors, authors, and stories about black people on TV. White people will feel better. Ordinary black people will likely feel little change in their world, I'm afraid.

John Oliver focused on these problems during the summer of BLM. He ran a tape of a woman in Houston who was very compelling in describing the situation in one of the poor wards of that city, ended by talking about how they don't own anything. They don't own the businesses in their neighborhoods. 

I've not done her justice, but the point struck home. How hard it is for persons like her to generate capital. I'd recently (shamefully late) read about the destruction of Black Wall Street in Tulsa and similar events other places including Texas. She wasn't defending violence or destruction of property, but she was articulating the frustration that leads to the anger that leads to the relatively few occasions that the BLM demonstrations turned destructive.

White voters who truly mean well must follow through on their intentions by looking beyond headlines and encouraging leaders to (gasp) spend money to find and execute plans to change the situation. They should also consider the scholarly work on CRT without mentioning the name.

It will make the flocks of pigs gliding above us very happy.

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Yes, but it will be a great boon for black artists, actors, authors, and stories about black people on TV. White people will feel better. Ordinary black people will likely feel little change in their world, I'm afraid.

John Oliver focused on these problems during the summer of BLM. He ran a tape of a woman in Houston who was very compelling in describing the situation in one of the poor wards of that city, ended by talking about how they don't own anything. They don't own the businesses in their neighborhoods. 

I've not done her justice, but the point struck home. How hard it is for persons like her to generate capital. I'd recently (shamefully late) read about the destruction of Black Wall Street in Tulsa and similar events other places including Texas. She wasn't defending violence or destruction of property, but she was articulating the frustration that leads to the anger that leads to the relatively few occasions that the BLM demonstrations turned destructive.

White voters who truly mean well must follow through on their intentions by looking beyond headlines and encouraging leaders to (gasp) spend money to find and execute plans to change the situation. They should also consider the scholarly work on CRT without mentioning the name.

It will make the flocks of pigs gliding above us very happy.

But when we have 2 working parents, kids in multiple activities, and saddled with debt, who has the time and energy to do this?   I am of the opinion that some of the fuckery in politics isn't because there are that many cruel people, but rather that people are too busy and too tired to get involved.   No everyone has the time to screw around on Surly.  

Vote for Nivek.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

But when we have 2 working parents, kids in multiple activities, and saddled with debt, who has the time and energy to do this?   I am of the opinion that some of the fuckery in politics isn't because there are that many cruel people, but rather that people are too busy and too tired to get involved.   No everyone has the time to screw around on Surly.  

Vote for Nivek.

Fair point. I might argue that we spend a lot of time looking to relax and close out any distractions other than the entertaining ones. I think we have more free time than just about anyone ever. We have just convinced ourselves or been convinced that we should not discuss politics or anything serious in the public realm because it's just too stressful.

We're not educated well (or at all) about how government actually works in public school. We're a society scornful of intellectualism and education itself. We don't make it our business to be citizens in a republic because most of us have no notion of what the republic is or should be.

To say we have more free time than anyone before is not to dismiss the demands of the world you describe. I think we choose some of those stresses or are led to choose them. 

That said, I will surely vote for you if you run.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Fair point. I might argue that we spend a lot of time looking to relax and close out any distractions other than the entertaining ones. I think we have more free time than just about anyone ever. We have just convinced ourselves or been convinced that we should not discuss politics or anything serious in the public realm because it's just too stressful.

We're not educated well (or at all) about how government actually works in public school. We're a society scornful of intellectualism and education itself. We don't make it our business to be citizens in a republic because most of us have no notion of what the republic is or should be.

To say we have more free time than anyone before is not to dismiss the demands of the world you describe. I think we choose some of those stresses or are led to choose them. 

That said, I will surely vote for you if you run.

My understanding was that we have less free time than in the past.  All this access did was chain us to our work for longer hours.   Of course I also agree that we choose some of the chains (insert Fight Club/Trainspotting rants) but we are also bombarded with ads like never before shifting us into some of the behaviors.  We have watched housing, health care, and education skyrocket while wages are relatively static.  This constant neglect is not sustainable.