Robert Griffin III as a college football analyst is ...

SimkinsMan

Just now, formermav43 said:

His commentary is not bad. His vision evidently is.

After a few replays he said “you know what that actually might not have been targeting, it’s hard to tell”. I don’t think most commentators would’ve corrected themselves like that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Helobious said:

After a few replays he said “you know what that actually might not have been targeting, it’s hard to tell”. I don’t think most commentators would’ve corrected themselves like that.

After being so adamant that it was targeting-he said something like it was the clearest example he’d ever seen-to then kind of, sort of, maybe, meekly retract it on the SAME ANGLE was pretty lame. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, F250 said:

He is pretty good. I am surprised that he has a personality because he always seemed like a dork.

This

He looks dorky as fuck, but I’ve always enjoyed him and though him and Mark Jones do well together.  They act like Unc and nephew in the booth.  

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

I could do without the "spicy" comments after a Bijan run. Has he been training with Galindo?

I don't get any of these fucks liking him and hating Galindo. He's black Galindo. Cringy as fuck and always feels the need to make some pun or stupid saying to punctuate everything he says.  Exact same as Galindo. He just does it in a more "street" black vernacular and Galindo does it in cringy white boy voice. But both are cringy as fuck

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I don't get any of these fucks liking him and hating Galindo. He's black Galindo. Cringy as fuck and always feels the need to make some pun or stupid saying to punctuate everything he says.  Exact same as Galindo. He just does it in a more "street" black vernacular and Galindo does it in cringy white boy voice. But both are cringy as fuck

Griffin actually knows the game, Galindo doesn’t is the only difference.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Griffin actually knows the game.

On occasion. And then he says stupid shit like "... and that's why we shouldn't have helmets in the game." 

Griffin too often feels like he needs to get off the rails for the sake of getting off the rails. It's unnecessary schtick. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

Not terrible?

For a relatively new commentator, I thought he was pretty good overall. Also was not afraid to call out bad catches or passes. Corrected himself on the "targeting" by Cook after seeing an additional angle.

Fuck Baylor. 

He is and has been fine, actually pretty good when breaking down plays. If you are bitching about him it's simply a Baylor thing no real reason to not like him as an analyst 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

His commentary on the actual game is not bad, but his insistence on his schtick is pretty damn hard to take for a 3-4 hour broadcast. All TV broadcast guys should learn to be more comfortable with dead air. You don't have to fucking talk all the time. We just want to watch the game. Tell us if you have some insight that makes it more interesting or explain a call or something. Otherwise shut the fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

His commentary on the actual game is not bad, but his insistence on his schtick is pretty damn hard to take for a 3-4 hour broadcast. All TV broadcast guys should learn to be more comfortable with dead air. You don't have to fucking talk all the time. We just want to watch the game. Tell us if you have some insight that makes it more interesting or explain a call or something. Otherwise shut the fuck up.

This, it's not radio.

Am I taking crazy pills? I'm not a "hate the announcers" sort of guy. 95% of the time I don't care. But Griffin and Mark Jones today were bad. Seemed like they wanted to just constantly yuck it up in the booth.

And all those mustard jokes? 

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

And if I was ISU, I would have hated the broadcast even more. Seemed like it was completely Texas centric (at least the parts I watched) despite ISU winning the last three in the series.

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

He was fair about that, after some idiotic comments about both the fumble and targeting. He’s still not good at what he does. He makes dumb comments like the battle of the Xs would determine the game. He might get better because he’s willing to be open minded. I didn’t like all his love for Mark Jones. He’s a huckster.  Not as bad as Lowell for sure. Hope he improves because he seems likable. 

He’s been announcing for three years. This is as good as it gets. 

I was pissed about him calling targeting. It clearly was shoulder to shoulder. I think he was calling loudly for what he wanted it to be, and I was afraid the replay booth was listening and would be swayed. 

If Joel Klatt is a 9.5 as an announcer, what is RG3? I think a 3. I see him as another Andre Ware or Spencer Tillman (or Dean Blevins back in the day)- a modestly talented PXP guy with a cute game of gently grinding an axe against Texas. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1