Game Week - Oklahoma State

Eggo

We need more of the OL performance in the running game we saw in the 4th qtr against ISU.  That plus a fully operational Ewers deathstar could be filthy.

That would go a long way to changing that road record of Sark's.  A dominant running game can suck the life out of opposing crowds.

• Hook 'Em 1

Steve Sarkisian is 13-27 on the road in his career as a head coach. Take out 0-5 for his first year at UW and he's 13-22. No matter how you slice it, that history of performance is uglier than most Surly posters' prom dates. Just hideous. 
Here's hoping Ewers being healthy helps the shift towards the positive starting this weekend.

Think the prom dates comparison was a bit out of line. Some of us didnt even have prom dates.
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, RabidM said:

He got a warning. 

The rules in that tournament never made sense but I assumed that the warning resulted in a point removed. I've been in tournaments where warnings resulted in points either removed or granted to the opponent and a 3rd infraction resulted in disqualification. I once won a tournament after taking two separate shots to the nads and then only landing one punch to win.

Anyways, yeah the Karate Kid tournament was really inconsistent with the rules but it was a great scene.

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

I once won a tournament after taking two separate shots to the nads and then only landing one punch to win.

"won"

one guy took two shots to the nads, the other took none. tell me who REALLY won that battle heh

also, sorry for your nuts.

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

"won"

one guy took two shots to the nads, the other took none. tell me who REALLY won that battle heh

also, sorry for your nuts.

I landed a superman punch right above the bridge of his nose which sucked because I was trying to break his nose. So yeah he got away with a couple of nut shots and won roshamboo.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Steve Sarkisian is 13-27 on the road in his career as a head coach. Take out 0-5 for his first year at UW and he's 13-22. No matter how you slice it, that history of performance is uglier than most Surly posters' prom dates. Just hideous. 

Here's hoping Ewers being healthy helps the shift towards the positive starting this weekend.

I was drunk and she was way too easy. Don’t get all judgey, council. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I see it as potentially a great indicator about his long-term success at Texas. He’s had a year and a half with his system in the Big 12, a key addition to the defensive coaching staff, roster turnover of 40%+, and a great recruiting class that has some experience.

It was a good start. More than his two predecessors. A lot more to be done, so we’ll see how things go this winter and see if he builds on that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

News flash! Teams play worse on the road than they do at home. 

I would be interested in seeing how coaches other than Dabo, Saban, Meyer, Stoops, Day, and Riley have done though

It all comes down to the standard to which the individual wishes to measure the program by for stuff like this. Your standard is lower than mine, and I support you having the freedom to measure it however you'd like.

I guarantee you that 13-27 on the road is probably high fucking cotton for the bottom third of the programs out of the FBS 131, btw. Akron would kill for a 13-27 road record over the last 7-8 season, I bet. Same for Kent State, KU, Texas State, Rice, UTEP, NMSU, UNM, Arizona, FIA, FAU, Duke, UNLV, etc. 

I would prefer to not cut out the national title contending coaches from the level of expectation that I think Texas should be trending towards. You'd like to, and like I said, that's fine. But for the purposes of just examining this weekend's game, your question isn't incredibly relevant.

We don't need to measure Seven Loss Steve by any other standard other than his own performance and in order to help set our expectations. Sarkisian at Texas is 1-5 in true road games. He's cradled opponents' balls in 1.5 years. Like just reveled in the ball handling. Chugging cock on the matter, frankly. Cradling the balls, stroking the shaft, working the pipe and then swallowing the gravy. That factors into this weekend's outlook, irrespective of how David Shaw or Mike Norvell or Jeff Brohm have handled things on the road for some non-title contending program somewhere else.

48 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Pasch, Dvoracek and Luginbill doing the game for ABC.

Just need to replace the Sooner with Walton and we'd be good to go. 

I actually think Dvoracek is a really good color guy, as much as I despise his story and history otherwise. The same is true for him on Dusty & Danny in the mornings on XM 84. Luginbill on College Sports Sunday on XM 84, less so. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13-27 is fucking trash, sorry for not clarifying.

But the context matters too. For instance, Brent Venables going 6-6 this year is worse than Sark’s 5-7 last year imo

Texas has been a loser program for most of the last 12 years, I’d bet we were a shitty road team during that span

Sark took over a shitty UW team, I’m not surprised they didn’t do well on the road

I see positive trends from last year to this, and at this point, that’s enough for me because I think this shit will snowball once we consistently hit the 8-10 win mark. How many road games do we have to win to get there?

The Tech game felt frustrating, but fluky to me.  I’m interested to see how this team responds on the road this time. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Sarkisian's road record is trash, here and previously. Our program has been relative trash for a long time. This is apparently the first version of sober HC Steve. This is the first version of post-Saban-tutelage HC Steve. There is more than one logical but non-definitive way to assess our evidence of his promise as a HC. I reject the "exclude title-winning HC" metric. We are not shooting for decent; we are shooting for awesome. The big question is whether sobering up, learning under Saban, and getting his rebuilding year-1 behind him makes Steve a bit of an unknown. If one's inclination is to answer that question "yes," then we are headed for undiscovered country. If "no," then he has shown us what he is, a loser on the road, 7-win Steve.

Out of the infuriating collapse that was the Tech second half, however, I witnessed a team that had fight and promise in a road game, IMO. The last-minute drive was the performance of winners. A lot of fail went into setting it up, and the fumble brought it to an end, but it was not the attack of an unprepared or demoralized team. If we end this year at 5-7 after another losing streak, it will be hard to blame it on external factors. OTOH, if we play for or especially win a conference title this year, I will lean strongly toward the opinion that 7-win Steve has sobered and matured into a legitimate winner. 

Edited by Magus Ossis
  • Hook 'Em 3

I can agree with the gist of the thinking here. I think you get into a p-hacking situation if you start to remove too many of the data points, nonetheless. 
I think my issue with the Tech game is that it didn't feel "fluky" to me. Sarkisian froze up in the second half. Yeah, the defense failed to make plays as well, and Texas was playing with a backup QB and without Worthy, but Sarkisian froze up nonetheless. Both that and the defense failing to make a stop under pressure represented, to me, at least, a lack of development year over year from the HC on down.
Now, I understand the statistical unlikelihood involved with 6-8 on 4th occurring again, and the rarity of a Bijan fumble and such, so I get the fluky notion people have espoused, including you. That is part of what gives me hope for this weekend. 
Just breaking down the non-stat-oriented basics of this OSU game, the pros and cons are black and white for us:
Pros: 
-Worthy and Ewers are healthy
-OSU is really banged up at QB and OL
-OSU has a very mediocre defense and they're also banged up
-Texas is pretty healthy and has a clear talent advantage at the majority of the positions
Cons:
-Sarkisian hasn't shown any prowess whatsoever on the road while at Texas
So, yeah, I think Texas should win this frigging game and I hope they do, but the first 1.5 years of this regime give me a ton of apprehension going into it. 

Yeah, this. The way Tech happened was kind of flukey, but the macro level result - road loss, blown two score lead… These are the things Texas has done more consistently than anything else under Sark. There’s a little bit of both there.
  • Like 1

According to Connelly we had like a 98% post game win expectancy against Tech so not a lot to take a away from that road showing. Also Quinn will have his first road rest. If Gundy Jr starts at QB this will be an OU redux and will need to win convincingly to prove it wouldn't have mattered. 

I actually think Dvoracek is a really good color guy, as much as I despise his story and history otherwise. The same is true for him on Dusty & Danny in the mornings on XM 84. Luginbill on College Sports Sunday on XM 84, less so. 

Yeah, Dvoracek is good and he and Pasch compliment each other really well. Good pairing. 

Yeah, Dvoracek is good and he and Pasch compliment each other really well. Good pairing.