the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

That’s one way to lose your majority 

You don't think that the GOP majority is also tired of those ~20 dipshits and finally willing to oust th.....

Sorry, couldn't finish that sentence without laughing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

You don't think that the GOP majority is also tired of those ~20 dipshits and finally willing to oust th.....

Sorry, couldn't finish that sentence without laughing.

Depends on whether that 20 is going to cost them the House/hurt their own races.

If the HFC dipshits start going after Medicare and Social Security, you better believe they will do something.  Never get between somebody in Congress who wants to stay in Congress and their re-election chances.

• Hook 'Em 1

Apologies for the cross post, but this goes here. 

With all due respect, the idea that GQP can't or doesn't want to govern is naive. The long-term goal is to cause chaos, instill fear, impose religion, stack the courts, seize total power (legally or otherwise), and take America backwards. Way backwards! 

By any dictionary definition: the "Freedom Caucus" is the Fascist Caucus. Founded in 2015, with origins in the Tea Party, the Fascist Caucus is little more than a legislative brigade for MAGA, Trump, and theocrats. McCarthy’s concessions only empowered the fascists even more—19 of the 20 holdouts were from the Fascist Caucus. If the data below from Wikipedia is accurate, the Fascist Caucus is gaining power/membership among Republicans in the House. 

2016: 36/241 R seats, which equals 15% of elected Republicans.

2022: 53/222 R seats, which equals 24% of elected Republicans.

Fascism is here and 40-45% of Americans are ready for it, regardless of whether the prez nominee is Trump or DeSantis. Anyone who thinks American-MAGA-GQP fascism is non-existent or going away soon is naïve. Blindingly naive. 

HFC.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

Financial advisories are preparing for that.  At least mine is.

Well they should be. If there is any chance the clown dancers make it happen, the market will crash by at least 30% 

And since it already declined 19% this year, might not be a great idea to double down 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

So I probably need to liquidate all my equity positions before Q3 debt ceiling default? I’m half kidding 

I actually set down to do that with all of my retirement money the last time the debt ceiling bullshit came up.  I had all the dropdowns set to sell, and then I thought, "Wait, what do I put this money into?  Bonds?  No, they're all going to get fucked something terrible.  Money market?  Nah, that's going to get fucked, too."

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If there is any chance the clown dancers make it happen, the market will crash by at least 30% 

It will be a lot worse than that.  I'd guess at least 50%.  

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Katherine Clark had a really good speech 2 days ago as well. Dems have good leaders ready to take back the House and lead in 2025. 

It’s help if SCOTUS didn’t permit two states to vote using unconstitutionally gerrymandered districts. Those decisions affected something like 11 seats. I’m pretty salty over that bullshit

Edited by Pig Bellmont
  • Hook 'Em 3

if the Democrats want to save America, vote for bills sponsored by Republicans before the bills are compromised into far right madness by the Hitler minority.  Game the system Dems, be smart.  Too bad this will never happen and the nation will continue to swirl into the toilet. 

Uh, House Dems should let the GOP put whatever lunacy they want out there in front of voters, and can’t really stop them from doing it - bills unacceptable to the far right wing name it out of committee. Democrats still control the Senate and White House. Extreme GOP legislation isn’t going anywhere and will just piss off the public.

Well they should be. If there is any chance the clown dancers make it happen, the market will crash by at least 30% 
And since it already declined 19% this year, might not be a great idea to double down 

Well a 30% crash in a market down 19% YOY is only a 24% additional reduction from 2021 baseline. Get owned fake news libtard.
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I actually set down to do that with all of my retirement money the last time the debt ceiling bullshit came up.  I had all the dropdowns set to sell, and then I thought, "Wait, what do I put this money into?  Bonds?  No, they're all going to get fucked something terrible.  Money market?  Nah, that's going to get fucked, too."

Put it all in bitcoin. What could go wrong?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

So I probably need to liquidate all my equity positions before Q3 debt ceiling default? I’m half kidding 

The weird thing is a lot of those loons are backed by equally loony billionaires whom I would imagine have big stock portfolios.  

Oh, well, if Elon has taught us anything it's that billionaires can do dumb things.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

My worry is mass bankruptcies when the 'guaranteed' cash from USA government obligations does not arrive and bills cannot be paid. I don't know how that shakes out and I don't really want to think about it, but I guess I gots to, sigh.

A Speaker that thanked TFG and one who voted to overturn the 2020 election. The next two years are ones I am going to completely ignore when it comes to anything from the House. I will not allow the incoming constant flow of TFG fueled negativity we are going to see from the GQP. If I were the Democrats I would not show up to a single one of the Hunter Biden sideshows or really anything else this cults puts on the agenda. 

It should not amaze me, but seeing how people willingly waste their one shot at life on acting like this does amaze me. We do not get a 2nd shot to redo things and there are 200+ representatives anxiously looking forward to acting like children in order to own the libs. These people need professional help to reset their brainwashed cult mindset.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Much of the GOP would love it— I mean, really fucking love it— to crash the economy and default. Their most important donors and boosters will be insulated and will in fact make money if it happens.  And they do not traffic in middle class prosperity anymore, they traffic in middle class rage.  This is the way to get rage. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 6

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Their most important donors and boosters will be insulated

I’m trying to think of who among their important donors are not intimately tied to the federal government’s ability to meet its financial obligations? Defense? Health insurance/hospital/pharma? Oil and gas? Financial industry craters when those others go

who am I missing?

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 2

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2023/01/08/the-clock-starts-ticking-on-mccarthys-speakership-00076906?nname=playbook&nid=0000014f-1646-d88f-a1cf-5f46b7bd0000&nrid=0000014e-f0fd-dd93-ad7f-f8fde5bf0000&nlid=630318

KEVIN McCARTHY finally got the gavel — but in the process, he gave away the House.

The concessions the California Republican awarded his critics to secure his position all but ensure that he will operate as speaker in name only. For the first time in decades, rank-and-file members will have as much power as their leader (more on that below). That reality could blow back on moderates and could ultimately undercut Republicans politically: Despite their desire to use their newfound majority to focus attention on President JOE BIDEN, GOP infighting is going to dominate the Congress.

The chaotic past week is just a prelude to what is shaping up to be equally unstable next two years in the House. Here are four dynamics we’ll be watching:

Spoiler

1. The Freedom Caucus’ new veto power. McCarthy’s decision to give Freedom Caucus members three of the nine seats on the House Rules Committee easily represented the single most significant surrender of leadership power that we’ve seen in decades — one that will have major repercussions for the lower chamber.

Since the 1960s, the panel — which oversees the floor process and decides which amendments are considered —has been viewed as the “speaker’s committee,” with each member handpicked by the leader and genuflecting to his or her will.

Now, conservatives eager to flex will dominate that panel and operate independently of leadership, effectively wielding veto power over legislation. Given the committee’s partisan breakdown — nine seats for the GOP, four for Democrats — Republicans can afford to lose only two votes. That means that the three Freedom Caucus members on the panel could band together with Democrats to tank a bill even before it hits the floor. They’ll also be able to demand changes to legislation, undercutting the careful work by other committee chairs who may not agree with their views.

McCarthy’s camp has sought to downplay this change by arguing that (1)conservatives could kill any bill anyway because of their slim four-seat House majority and (2) it’s better for them to hash out their disagreements with conservatives in committee before bills head to the floor.

But “that misses the ballgame,” as one astute former House GOP leadership source told us: It “doesn’t take into account that the power of the floor isn’t just about what reaches it, but also what doesn’t — and what processes are permitted via amendment.”

2. Tough votes for moderates and swing-seat representatives. There’s a reason why moderate lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have been largely shielded from having to take votes on lightning-rod issues when their party is in the majority. That reason is leadership’s control of the Rules Committee.

For many years, leadership has used the Rules panel to ensure that third-rail proposals never see the light of day. Democrats were spared from voting on Medicare for All or abolishing ICE. Republicans avoided votes on major cuts to Social Security or abolishing the IRS. Why? To protect members of the majority party from having to take votes that could become major political liabilities, make them the targets of high-profile partisan pundits or spur primary challenges.

That buffer is gone.

“The ‘normal’ GOP member will now have to take a lot of hard-right votes that they will feel pressured from their crazy base to support,” the former House GOP leadership source told us. “Members can no longer be protected from politically toxic conservative wish lists.”

3. The coming GOP battle over defense spending. As part of his deal with the right, McCarthy promised to hold a vote on a budget that will balance the deficit in a decade and cap discretionary spending levels at fiscal 2022. That could mean a 10% cut to the Pentagon.

Already, the GOP’s defense hawks are up in arms at the prospect. “Most of us won’t vote for cuts to defense,” Rep. DON BACON (R-Neb.) told my colleagues this week. Added Rep. MIKE GALLAGHER (R-Wis.), who also sits on the Armed Services panel: “There’s a ton of defense hawks that are necessary to get to the math of 218.”

What’s more, it also goes against what GOP voters want. A December poll by the Vandenberg Coalition, a conservative foreign policy-focused nonprofit that advocates for defense spending, found that 87% of Republican voters support increased military spending. Read the exclusive poll results

Notably, Republican leaders — including McCarthy himself — have championed increases to defense spending in recent years, and have blasted Biden on the topic. Watch for administration officials to use this issue against McCarthy in the coming months; they already have a list of his comments ripping them a new one for doing exactly what his members are proposing now.

4. McCarthy’s ticking clock. As far as we know, the “motion to vacate” has never successfully ousted a speaker, even though it’s been in existence for 200 years.

That may change this year.

In December, we reported that even McCarthy’s allies privately agreed that his time as speaker would be limited. Since then, he’s effectively ensured that will be the case by restoring the motion to vacate, enabling a single unhappy member to trigger a vote to oust him. McCarthy can only lose four votes; conservatives can show him the door any time they want.

We saw this week how difficult it was for McCarthy to muster enough votes to get the gavel — and that was after years of trying to win over his detractors. Now, he’ll have to do the even more difficult job of governing: passing spending bills, dealing with the debt ceiling — and yes, unfortunately for him, negotiating with Democrats, which will jeopardize his standing on the right.

How long will he last? Rep. DAVE JOYCE cracked a funny line with elements of truth in it during a 2 a.m. CNN interview just after McCarthy won the gavel. Asked how long it would take for conservatives to use the “motion to vacate,” the Ohio Republican replied: “Tomorrow?”

We think McCarthy will probably have a few months. But the fiscal deadlines looming this year — spending bills and a debt ceiling increase, with shutdowns and even a national default possible — mean that his hourglass is already starting to run out of time.

This morning, on CNN’s “State of the Union,” conservativeRep. CHIP ROY (R-Texas) was asked whether he’d trigger the motion to vacate if Republicans go for a clean debt ceiling increase. “I’m not going to play the what-if games on how we’re going to use the tools of the House to make sure that we enforce the terms of the agreement,” Roy said. “But we will use the tools of the House to enforce the terms of the agreement.”

13 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Much of the GOP would love it— I mean, really fucking love it— to crash the economy and default. Their most important donors and boosters will be insulated and will in fact make money if it happens.  And they do not traffic in middle class prosperity anymore, they traffic in middle class rage.  This is the way to get rage. 

8 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m trying to think of who among their important donors are not intimately tied to the federal government’s ability to meet its financial obligations? Defense? Health insurance/hospital/pharma? Oil and gas? Financial industry craters when those others go

who am I missing?

I hope this is correct.  Money always wins in the end, but if they want to truly fuck around, they will truly find out.  Either they (the R congress critters) will get shown who really controls them or they will succeed and then the populace will destroy them.

• Hook 'Em 2

who am I missing?

Foreign powers who have poured capital into crypto mining?

Honestly, if we know it's going to happen, how do we lowly pawns prepare?

I can't remember that trump quote anymore with specifics.  But in 2015ish he said something to the effect that when there's riots, everything's burning, and chaos, then he can take control.  That's what this is about.  Gaetz and Boebert aren't smart enough to think this through.  But their Russian handlers are.

the biggest concession McCarthy gave was giving up the House PAC to support primary candidates in open, safe districts.  In practice, if a long term GOP Rep decides to retire, McCarthy and his PAC are not to support a replacement. Instead the HFC or QAnon (is there a difference?) will be the main player in that primary.

It doesn't mean others can't support a non-QAnon primary candidate but the House PAC has to stay out of it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the biggest concession McCarthy gave was giving up the House PAC to support primary candidates in open, safe districts.  In practice, if a long term GOP Rep decides to retire, McCarthy and his PAC are not to support a replacement. Instead the HFC or QAnon (is there a difference?) will be the main player in that primary.

It doesn't mean others can support a non-QAnon primary candidate but the House PAC has to stay out of it.

McCarthy is even shittier and weaker than I thought.  He's pissing away any future chances he has at Speaker (although I think the Dems will benefit from the next two years, so maybe not an issue).

On 1/8/2023 at 11:08 AM, The Royal We said:

Why does the author call the HFC "conservatives"?  They are not conservative in the least - they are radicals and should be labeled as such. 

21 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Nothing matters

Isn't "HFC" referring to the fascist, election-denying House Freedom Caucus?

It doesn't mean others can't support a non-QAnon primary candidate but the House PAC has to stay out of it.

The Cawthorn Clause
  • Haha 3

• 8 months later...