the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

5 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I am road tripping up to Dallas tomorrow with a buddy who is a "centrist" and he's already blaming Dems for not saving McCarthy because Jim Jordan or whoever is next could be so much worse.  I'm going to use this on him when it inevitably comes up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am road tripping up to Dallas tomorrow with a buddy who is a "centrist" and he's already blaming Dems for not saving McCarthy because Jim Jordan or whoever is next could be so much worse.  I'm going to use this on him when it inevitably comes up.

Why would anyone, regardless of where they are on the political spectrum, trust McCarthy?  
McCarthy FAFO.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So they're definitely shutting the government down.

What's the end game for Republicans? They're going to get the blame for it, so ostensibly they think whatever they are going to get out of it will outweigh the beating they're going to take in the polls.

What are they going to get out of it?

Apathy. That’s their only goal

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Apathy. That’s their only goal

This is it.

They don't even try to talk their way out of the shit they get caught doing.  All they want to do is convince the American people that the Democrats are doing just as much awful shit.  If they can get everybody cynical and jaded enough to stop paying attention, then they can continue doing whatever they want without consequences.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

My early Republican bent was brief but vivid. It was the late 70s. (Cue up "My Sharona" followed by a Franklin Mint commercial.) There were two kinds of Democrats-- locals and Yankees. I shot down the idea of working as an intern for my cousin the local Dem House Rep (later Republican Senator) because my brief exposure to University of Alabama Fratboy culture had been enough.

So out of the woodwork my Mom's HS friend reappears in our lives. I'll call him Lizard Person. Mr. Person, as a college student, had been kicked out of 1950s U of Alabama for acting too racist. Read that twice. He is said to have finished up his degree at Baylor. and sometime later became a lawyer. Thinking back, he had the mannerisms of a closeted lawyer, but at the time he just seemed smarmy.

Mr. L. Person was a daring thing, an early Reagan supporter. He invited us all to a rally up in North Alabama. To my Black Belt eyes, used to folks maintaining a facade of stateliness, North Alabama was a lumpy land of poor white people with junk piled in their yards. We finally got to the rally, in a piney flatland filled with fever-eyed men in their court appearance suits, and I asked my Mom and Grandmom, "Are we at a Klan rally?"

Alas, it was not an exciting Klan rally, it was mumbled boredom. Later we visited L. Person's home, where I perused his shelves of books. I only remember one:

https://books.google.com/books/about/No_More_Black_Babies.html?id=tZa3MQAACAAJ

Later on, I told my Mom about that book, and she confronted Lizard on it, and he gave some slippery answer that seemed plausible by 1979 standards.

So anyway, Mom and Grandmom did phone-banking in the election, Reagan was more or less our family business, I had nothing against Carter but he failed to get the hostages, Boom, voted Ronnie, done. Turned out to be my last R vote for a while, but I did it.

As for L. Person, he visited us on Christmas Day, I was sleeping off a party from Christmas Eve, so to be cute he 1. Picked up MY guitar and started flailing on it to wake me up, and 2. went behind the French doors that formed a wall to my bedroom, and started tapping on them.

I sorta kinda kicked the glass out of them while he was tapping.

Lizard Person freaked the fuck out and fled the house.

I only saw him once ever again, more than a decade later. He showed up at my Mom's house wearing a Confederate lapel pin. I found out after his death that he had founded a "League" of the South or some shit. By happenstance I had heard of them when I was enrolled at Alabama and had gone on the student radio as "Student X" doing my best O Brother Where Art Thou "We ain't GOT no radio" voice, "defending" this League in absurd ways but actually I was mockin it Mr. Gambini.

Anyway, Mr. Person never said anything explicit. He used that good old cutesiness, that lingering pause, that raised eyebrow.

Me, later on I became Military Police and a Dirty Hippy at the same time.

Give this way more rep.

This is one of the best.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

It’s be worth it for the SOTU theater alone. 

gonna go out on a batshit loony limb here and guess that for the SOTU, Jordan sits behind Pres. Biden in...wait for it...a white dress shirt and lightly colored necktie with no jacket.  Just a wild fucking assumption.  

does anybody care to guess why Jordan made that his signature look a few years back?  Because be threw all his suitcoats over the victims of the sex crimes he helped cover up so as to provide them a modicum of comfort.  And white shirts can be bleached easier than colored shirts so as to hide the tears, blood, and cum stains of those he ushered out promising that nothing like this would ever happen to them again.  But remember, he's our true north conservative.  

15 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

He doesn't want any real job. Unlike President, apparently, you actually have to show up more often than not to be speaker.

He doesn’t want the job because it doesn’t benefit him in any way. 

• Hook 'Em 7

8 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So they're definitely shutting the government down.

What's the end game for Republicans? They're going to get the blame for it, so ostensibly they think whatever they are going to get out of it will outweigh the beating they're going to take in the polls.

What are they going to get out of it?

They are going to get Trump campaigning for them, or at least saying a kind word for them, instead of Trump campaigning against them in their primaries, and even possibly releasing some information that they wouldn't like released. I have no doubt that he's accumulated plenty of blackmail (or black male) material on quite a few Rs in Congress.

That's what they are getting out of it.

10 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

When I look back on my own political awakening, it pisses me off it took me so long to become aware of all of the Republican bullshit. 

21 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

They were always there my brother, but there weren’t as many, and there was less reason to see them if you weren’t looking closely. 

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm sure they were always there, but not in the prevalent role they have today.  Back then they were tolerated.  Now they are praised (and elected) for their shittiness.

In hindsight, 30+ years later, I'm very sure they were always there, but  I believe they were very covered up, at least back when I was in high school and into the 90s, and even in the 90s, a lot of the Republican hate was directed towards the Clintons and those in their orbit.

Going into high school on the tail-end of Reagan's second administration, back when Rick Perry was running Al Gore's campaign here in Texas (we hated Al because Tipper had her warning label campaign going), and Tom DeLay was my Rep, it was just natural to fall into the GOP back then (thanks to family/neighbors/etc.). It wasn't like I went out seeking a party.  

With that said, in that timeframe, the Republican batshittery was hidden, or they were more focused on money/financial policies, tax breaks, etc.. In high school when I defined myself as a Republican, I still had gay friends, lots of minority friends (my high school was more diverse than a lot of the area schools and the organization I was in was very diverse).  If I saw Republicans on the airwaves every night viciously attacking the LBGTQ crowd or minorities or whatever, I would have absolutely bailed.  Instead, that shit was mostly confined to things like the televangelists, and was not promoted/embraced as mainstream Republican core ideals or whatever.  With the GOP back then for a lot of us, it was all about the fiscal stuff, and like I said, Tipper Gore, wife of Presidential candidate and Senator Al Gore, was leading the morality brigade in Congress.

I wasn't aware enough of where to look for the batshittery back then, and I wasn't hanging out with olds dropping the n-word or anything, but I mention it because I have stayed in touch with many people from high school, or in some cases, am very aware (based on their postings in our high school pages on FB) and more than a few of the people I ran around with back then are on the MAGA spectrum, complete with the kind of hatred that they would never have displayed around their gay or minority friends back in the late 80s/early 90s. There's been times where I want to drop some old photos of them with some of those past friends into their conversations and ask them "hey, you hate gay people now, but such-and-such was gay and we all knew it, and you had no problem running around with him on Friday and Saturday nights back when we were in high school, what gives?" but I won't do that because I don't have that right.

With that said, in hindsight, I know it was always there, it's just that they had the self-awareness to know that it wouldn't pay off back then.  Now?  It pays to be a shithead to various groups, rather than focusing on fiscal policy or whatever.  Back then, it was sold as "hey, we'll push these policies to increase wealth and lift Republicans up, *wink* *wink* (sorry, it trickle down and it won't lift you up)" and now it's about elevating Republicans by pushing other groups down.

I'd even argue that it's played out in this Speaker's race - we have a small but extremely vocal group of Republicans trying to race to the bottom.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Why how interesting. A lot of names I hadn’t thought of in 15+ years.
It‘s like the card game in Sunset Boulevard over there, except the bridge players want to kill William Holden because he’s cool and good looking. 
I wonder how old yellow shirt Sua Sponte’s protest is going…

I clicked on the Climate thread and it looks like a four man echo chamber.  They really should just exchange numbers and start a text thread with each other.  

15 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Here, if anyone wishes there was more of a hard-right viewpoint:

https://www.hornfans.com/forums/westmall/

still catching up but wanted to add that I noticed that a while back. Its fucking embarrassing and without the http on top, the topics/replies are indistinguishable from TexAgs. Sad all around

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, The Dog said:

Trump doesn’t want the job IMHO:

Oh good a rapist who idiots elected POTUS is endorsing someone who turned a blind eye to college athletes in their charge being sexually abused to be Speaker.  What the ever living fuck has happened to this country?  What a shitshow.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh good a rapist who idiots elected POTUS is endorsing someone who turned a blind eye to college athletes in their charge being sexually abused to be Speaker.  What the ever living fuck has happened to this country?  What a shitshow.

Something something it always gets worse. Something something there is no bottom.

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I thought I read somewhere that Jordan has been in congress for however long and has never sponsored a bill that has passed.

Not sure how true that is, but Jesus Christ.

That is not a surprise.

Gohmert was in Congress for 18 years and passed 1 bill. 

There are those who serve to actually serve the people, and those who serve to serve themselves.  95% of the GOP is the latter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, locodos said:

As a kid who grew up in 70's in the Gentile South

This reminds me of a run in I had with a dude this week. He's coming to get a loan and just bullshitting around as normally occurs in that situation and states "us country Southern boys are just friendlier" as they've said for generations.

In the next sentence he breaks out the "I'm not going to try and Jew him or anything". The best part is if I had brought that slur to his attention he wouldn't have seen any way the two sentences worked against each other.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It seems to me like a rapist would want someone who turns a blind eye to sexual abuse to be in charge. It’s almost perfect synchronicity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1