Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

38 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Thinking august will be milder than norm.  Y’all are getting the heat now so maybe it cools off a bit and the rest of the country gets the heat

It was a bit like this Austin last summer. We got hit with record heat in late June through late July. Then we got showers for weeks on end before returning to the normal August/September spiral of hit death.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yesterday, after only being outside briefly, had a heat episode that took me out. Fell to my knees twice making my way inside. Finally made it to a chair where I promptly passed out and threw up previously delicious beef and pork ribs all over myself. Family called the EMTs who suggested a trip to the ER against my wishes. I knew what it was and that the symptoms would pass.  But the fam and EMTs prevailed which resulted in spending 6 hours in the ER getting poked, prodded and tested for no reason   What a shitty way to spend Father’s Day. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

When the fuck did this site become occupied by such cynical posters?  

im saying a hot June May lead to milder august.  Like out here in California, often times our November is hotter than July 

Ha.  A hot June leading to a milder August.  WTF is this hopium shit?

Typical is warming up until late July, hot as fuck from late July through the first week or so of September.  Now, the oven has preheated a shitload faster.  A much more likely scenario is that right now it's goddamned hot, and in August, it'll even be more goddamneder hotter.

harrison-ford-we-are-going-to-die.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Because we follow UT football, baseball, basketball, etc.?

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

im saying a hot June May lead to milder august.  Like out here in California, often times our November is hotter than July 

The last three years have broken us weather-wise.  My kids have not forgotten using fucking snow to flush our toilets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Someone with more credentials can correct me, but my amatuer understanding is that there's little correlation between temps now and later in the summer. If anything, this heat wave is likely to tee up higher July/August temps by zapping built up soil moisture faster than it would normally be. But the fact is that Texas is hot enough and gets enough energy from the sun this time of year that any time a dome like this parks over the area - which is a more typical July/August pattern - it is going to be extremely, dangerously hot. That it is happening now in June doesn't mean the quota is filled and it's less likely later on.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

That’s like saying a coin flip result is correlated to what happened in previous flips. It just isn’t so. 

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

man I really dont need or want to relive 2011.  That was a fucked up miserable summer from Mid-March to October.   And the whole of August was scorched fucking earth

dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me-michael-cla

The memory of all those 2011 fires when coupled with all of the downed trees / limbs in the greenbelts after this winter's ice storms is pretty fucking terrifying.  Hope we get some evenly-spaced rain throughout July and August, but will believe it when we get it.

29 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Took the trash out this morning and it was already miserable.

One of the things I dread most about summers is walking the dog on the morning of trash collection. Smell of baking trash the whole time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Ha.  A hot June leading to a milder August.  WTF is this hopium shit?

Typical is warming up until late July, hot as fuck from late July through the first week or so of September.  Now, the oven has preheated a shitload faster.  A much more likely scenario is that right now it's goddamned hot, and in August, it'll even be more goddamneder hotter.

harrison-ford-we-are-going-to-die.gif

This....

josh hutcherson GIF by The Hunger Games

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Yesterday, after only being outside briefly, had a heat episode that took me out. Fell to my knees twice making my way inside. Finally made it to a chair where I promptly passed out and threw up previously delicious beef and pork ribs all over myself. Family called the EMTs who suggested a trip to the ER against my wishes. I knew what it was and that the symptoms would pass.  But the fam and EMTs prevailed which resulted in spending 6 hours in the ER getting poked, prodded and tested for no reason   What a shitty way to spend Father’s Day. 

Damn. I took myself to the limit yesterday working in the garage.  Went and cooled down first time after a few hours, but went back for another 5 hours or so and it got me last night.  Rode it out with ice packs and cool towels, which irritated the wife. Felt not great this AM.  Fucking blastfurnace.   

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/18/2023 at 9:36 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

Family in east Texas has been without power since Friday’s storms (very very bad out there). They gave up yesterday morning and rove to Dallas to stay at a hotel and chill for the weekend. They don’t expect power for days. 

We've got a place out in ETX, all cameras are wifi so I knew power was out of course. No big deal, it happens not infrequently. Woke up Friday and checked the outage map for SWEPCO, my provider, and HOLY SHIT. Carnage from Fayetteville down to near Alexandria. 240k customers out. Every fucking customer in Franklin County was shown to be out. 100%, the entire county was and is, still down. Amazing. After a couple of hours, I got what, in retrospect, might be the world's most wildly inaccurate email from them saying estimated restoration was Saturday at 3PM. 

I decided to go out there Sat morning to clear the fridges and freezers and try to salvage anything I could before it rotted. Saturday morning wasn't really even bad in the shade and I could still only take about 10 minutes inside at a time before having to get back outside in the breeze, drenched in sweat.

3PM comes and goes of course without restoration. Then about 6PM I get another email saying my estimated restoration time had been moved back just a tad to NEXT FRIDAY BY 10PM. Called aunt and uncle who are also out there nearby and told them to get their old asses to Dallas ASAP, shit was borked. They arrived safely yesterday afternoon thank god but said it is very bad, everyone is crowding into the local Dukes or a random church, or Walmart, or the school gyms, anywhere there is a generator and AC. There are literally thousands of line workers coming in from across the country to help, its going to really suck for them. 

I am also very surprised this isn't a bigger news story outside of that local area. The medium-size towns like Longview, Tyler, etc. are also in a world of hurt.

If you have a bunch of free time, here's the current outage map, updated every 15 mins: SWEPCO Outage Map Good news, down to 110,000 out right now...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We've got a place out in ETX, all cameras are wifi so I knew power was out of course. No big deal, it happens not infrequently. Woke up Friday and checked the outage map for SWEPCO, my provider, and HOLY SHIT. Carnage from Fayetteville down to near Alexandria. 240k customers out. Every fucking customer in Franklin County was shown to be out. 100%, the entire county was and is, still down. Amazing. After a couple of hours, I got what, in retrospect, might be the world's most wildly inaccurate email from them saying estimated restoration was Saturday at 3PM. 
I decided to go out there Sat morning to clear the fridges and freezers and try to salvage anything I could before it rotted. Saturday morning wasn't really even bad in the shade and I could still only take about 10 minutes inside at a time before having to get back outside in the breeze, drenched in sweat.
3PM comes and goes of course without restoration. Then about 6PM I get another email saying my estimated restoration time had been moved back just a tad to NEXT FRIDAY BY 10PM. Called aunt and uncle who are also out there nearby and told them to get their old asses to Dallas ASAP, shit was borked. They arrived safely yesterday afternoon thank god but said it is very bad, everyone is crowding into the local Dukes or a random church, or Walmart, or the school gyms, anywhere there is a generator and AC. There are literally thousands of line workers coming in from across the country to help, its going to really suck for them. 
I am also very surprised this isn't a bigger news story outside of that local area. The medium-size towns like Longview, Tyler, etc. are also in a world of hurt.
If you have a bunch of free time, here's the current outage map, updated every 15 mins: SWEPCO Outage Map Good news, down to 110,000 out right now...

Got a buddy who grew up in Jefferson. His parents still live there (they have a Generac)

Sent me this late last week when all this was in early stages. Full blown hurricane style price gouging

522c397e8b3bc11c2d34761e0c66ead0.png
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

Very bad. Told my parents don’t expect power for another week today  

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Got a buddy who grew up in Jefferson. His parents still live there (they have a Generac)

Sent me this late last week when all this was in early stages. Full blown hurricane style price gouging

522c397e8b3bc11c2d34761e0c66ead0.png

That would be illegal.....if our governor had actually declared a disaster.

But he hasn't.

And that's all I've got to say about that without going CR.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That would be illegal.....if our governor had actually declared a disaster.

But he hasn't.

And that's all I've got to say about that without going CR.

I don't know much about how disaster declarations are handled vis a vis the county and state levels, but I have read that several county judges have declared county-level disasters and the orders definitely mentioned price gouging.

Aunt and uncle looked up the local POS motel 8 and online price said $380, they called and person said they actually didn't have any rooms.

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Very bad. Told my parents don’t expect power for another week today  

Very weird coincidence, but in the span of typing my initial msg to you, the outage map updated and voila - our area now has power! Uncle called their neighbor and sure enough, just freaking came back on. Power of Surly at hand?...... Hope your folks experience something similar. For reference, we all are near Mt. Vernon.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Just got back into Austin. It looks like it's about to storm but it's 100 degrees outside. Very odd.

Yep very weird.  70% chance of rain, 101 degrees.  Wtf.

I went outside 4 times today for about 10 minutes each time.  I don’t recall ever feeling that hot in that short of a time.  What I felt today easily felt as hot as anything I ever felt in the summer I spent in rural southern Iraq.

This is fuckin bullshit and it needs to stop. (It’s not gonna stop, cause blastfurnace.)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

Yeah I missed some of this.

what caused such a widespread outage?

big line of storms last week?

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah I missed some of this.

what caused such a widespread outage?

big line of storms last week?

EF-1 tornado and thunderstorm system ripped a line from Greenville through the area well into Louisiana late Thursday/early Friday. Caught many high-voltage transmission lines and a bunch of collateral tree damage. When I drove in, I was surprised at the lack of obvious damage from branches down, I think it's more the major lines were severed. Things seem to be getting repaired at an increasing pace today. No consolation for those directly impacted, obviously. This is a poorer area of TX so if I hear of legitimate places to donate $$, I'll follow up.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Yep very weird.  70% chance of rain, 101 degrees.  Wtf.

I went outside 4 times today for about 10 minutes each time.  I don’t recall ever feeling that hot in that short of a time.  What I felt today easily felt as hot as anything I ever felt in the summer I spent in rural southern Iraq.

This is fuckin bullshit and it needs to stop. (It’s not gonna stop, cause blastfurnace.)

Helmand. In Body Armor. Fuck that shit. 

Worst was Kuwait. Boots were melting on the damn tarmac.