"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

it's been 4 days and I don't have all the features i want wtf

but yeah they need to get the chrono feed and search/hashtag functionility out sooner than later. i'm finding people bit by bit but it would be so much quicker to rebuild the feed I want if I could find the conversations I'm interested in

day 1 it kept showing drake, now I'm just seeing so much fucking Meek Mill. I mean, step in the right direction but I'm confused if I'm just floating in the grand tide of the algorithm or there's something about my meta background that is guiding this

one thing that is different in this app than in twitter or even IG - I like the horizontal media scrolling. This one is actually a good example of what I'm talking about and what you don't really need to do anymore - they have the side by side picture and then each picture individually, but the horizontal slide makes it easy to compare the two photos full size

https://www.threads.net/t/CudQ309phhi/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I'm going through and setting up some thread accounts (profile photos, bio, links, etc), and a friend texted me that the first week of Threads felt like the first week of school.

I Guess If You Say So GIF

Now I want to hop on twitter and tell everybody to "Have a good summer!"

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 2

Now that things have settled down somewhat, I'm going through and looking at people that I followed or that followed me on twitter, and I'm shocked at the number of people that made the jump.  Completely anecdotal, but almost all of the accounts I'm seeing that didn't make the jump (or rather opened up a threads account and are now dual-posting on both platforms) were people who were never that active in the first place.  One of the crowds I run in trends a bit older, but looking through a few dozen on twitter, and the active ones made a threads account.  Most of them have similar-sounding accounts, but I notice that some have changed their spellings (maybe not available on twitter when they signed up) or went with the longer character limits that are allowed with usernames

And I'm seeing George Takei, James Gunn, and other internet personality types in my feed for now, but that's fine, they are all active.  Schwarzenegger hit 1 million followers in two days.

• Hook 'Em 2

I find the app pretty unusable. I said I wouldn't sign up but I lied, I did because it was so easy with my IG account. The algorithm is terrible. I don't even understand it. Is it that fucking hard for someone, anyone to create an app where you actually only see content from people that you follow and only see it in chronological order of when they post it/retweet/reply? Oh and hopefully it isn't run by a nazi. 

As a test when the Nassar stabbing news hit the other morning I went on threads to see if any of the hundreds of MSU or sports or news related accounts I followed would show up on my timeline. Not a single thing. But I did see some unrelated posts from Joy Taylor talks, Pink and Bollywoodsociety.

I signed up the evening it launched and at this point my feed is almost all people I follow. The stuff that isn’t appears to be follows of people I follow. The suggestions of who I might want to follow are pretty good too. I’m liking it so far, and I never really used Twitter unless it was a link to a tweet.

On 7/8/2023 at 3:05 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Imagine having your posts consistently liked by a guy working on his dozenth ban, and another guy is who is a confirmed Palestinian who is also a white nationalist, who also wants a Christian theocracy, and who also followed the tenets of his religion by blowing up his marriage in favor of multiple drug fueled orgies with other dudes, nttiawwt. Unless you’re married to a woman and think taking meth to fuck other dudes for days at a time is wrong.  

Anyway, imagine that  being your cheering section and thinking that you’re onto something. 

So macklemore is icono?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 10:05 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Imagine having your posts consistently liked by a guy working on his dozenth ban, and another guy is who is a confirmed Palestinian who is also a white nationalist, who also wants a Christian theocracy, and who also followed the tenets of his religion by blowing up his marriage in favor of multiple drug fueled orgies with other dudes, nttiawwt. Unless you’re married to a woman and think taking meth to fuck other dudes for days at a time is wrong.  

Anyway, imagine that  being your cheering section and thinking that you’re onto something. 

Which one of them are you? 

Imagine being obsessed with anonymous handles on the internet that you compile a dossier on each of them, and imagine that you post for the satisfaction and approval of these people instead of for yourself. 

Did you think that other people operate like you? 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Which one of them are you? 

Imagine being obsessed with anonymous handles on the internet that you compile a dossier on each of them, and imagine that you post for the satisfaction and approval of these people instead of for yourself. 

Did you think that other people operate like you? 

Imagine being part of a community and being so myopic that you don’t notice who’s posting, specifically when they change their names to obvious replacements after being banned, names so simple an idiot could figure it out, them never denying but in fact reveling in it.

“man this GoatFucker2 guy posts a lot like that Goatfucker1 asshole that got banned, and he posts on the same threads, weird.”

It’s not a dossier, it’s just paying like, barely any attention at all. But yeah, congrats on “not operating like me.” Also congrats on having white nationalists like your posts, you’re doing something right!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Imagine being part of a community and being so myopic that you don’t notice who’s posting, specifically when they change their names to obvious replacements after being banned, names so simple an idiot could figure it out, them never denying but in fact reveling in it.

“man this GoatFucker2 guy posts a lot like that Goatfucker1 asshole that got banned, and he posts on the same threads, weird.”

It’s not a dossier, it’s just paying like, barely any attention at all. But yeah, congrats on “not operating like me.” Also congrats on having white nationalists like your posts, you’re doing something right!

"man this guy doesn't participate in the CR community like I do, but let me make it his fault somehow"

Have you asked yourself why you have so much intimate knowledge about white nationalism and white nationalists?

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

"man this guy doesn't participate in the CR community like I do, but let me make it his fault somehow"

Have you asked yourself why you have so much intimate knowledge about white nationalism and white nationalists?

Because I hate Nazis and they’re hard to miss when they show up in Daily Texan threads saying America should be a Christian Theocracy, and I remember? I pay attention to the community around me, you apparently revel in not doing so?Did you miss who TxTow was too? 

By the way, recognizing a poster who proudly proclaims he is a white nationalist isn’t having some kind of intimate knowledge of white nationalism, but nice try. 

You can attempt, poorly, to obfuscate all you want. But the fact of the matter is that your opinions on this thread weren’t widely popular, and the only clowns who did like it (because it reflects their own views) were a nationalist and a guy who’s been banned a dozen times for being a shit heel and a troll. Those are the facts. You can claim ignorance, or attempt to attack me somehow for knowing that information, but none of that changes the facts that your opinions on this matter are popular with that group. If you’re fine with that, uh cool I guess? 

just for fun, I did a quick search, and here is him literally posting about his views right next to you on the Elon musk thread, which last time I checked, wasn’t in the CR. But keep trying to blame that on your obliviousness and/or who likes your opinions. 

IMG_1984.png

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because I hate Nazis and they’re hard to miss when they show up in Daily Texan threads saying America should be a Christian Theocracy, and I remember? I pay attention to the community around me, you apparently revel in not doing so?Did you miss who TxTow was too? 

By the way, recognizing a poster who proudly proclaims he is a white nationalist isn’t having some kind of intimate knowledge of white nationalism, but nice try. 

You can attempt, poorly, to obfuscate all you want. But the fact of the matter is that your opinions on this thread weren’t widely popular, and the only clowns who did like it (because it reflects their own views) were a nationalist and a guy who’s been banned a dozen times for being a shit heel and a troll. Those are the facts. You can claim ignorance, or attempt to attack me somehow for knowing that information, but none of that changes the facts that your opinions on this matter are popular with that group. If you’re fine with that, uh cool I guess? 

just for fun, I did a quick search, and here is him literally posting about his views right next to you on the Elon musk thread, which last time I checked, wasn’t in the CR. But keep trying to blame that on your obliviousness and/or who likes your opinions. 

IMG_1984.png

Pssst, he’s the biggest troll on this board. Put him on ignore, you’ll thank me later.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just for fun, out of 10,000 posts across years of history, the first search result you found was from 9 months, where someone happened to be posting "right next to [me]", on a public board.  Not me quoting him, praising him, but posting on the same topic about Christian Theo---wait, no, about the most prominent tech figure in the world.

Nice smoking gun you found there, short bus Sherlock. 

Have you posted on other threads as me?  Do you think I know-- or *care* to know-- who you are as person?

Nice attempt at association fallacy. You think everyone should be posting for approval or seek an audience -- thats uh cool I guess.  Says a lot about you.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think cartoon dicks are against tos on threads. 

200.gif

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

The plan is definitely to mix in some variety. 

Some variety is good.  But I think if Surly tries to be on Threads what it is on this website, it might dilute the interest to a broader base of Threads members who just want University of Texas sports.  I'm not sure you'll draw folks on Threads with posts on cooking, travel, movies, music, stock market, etc. like you do here.

Just one man's opinion, and I'm one who certainly loves this site because of the variety, and I'm the last guy you want social media marketing opinions from.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Pssst, he’s the biggest troll on this board. Put him on ignore, you’ll thank me later.

^Take this guy's advice and do what he does:  put me on ignore, but continue to post about me, and reply in my threads the ignore feature's supposed to have filtered out.