Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

I watched the first episode of The Devil's Plan the other day.  I enjoyed it.  It's another Korean reality gameshow in the mode of Physical 100, but this show emphasizes problem solving instead of brawn.  12 contestants trying to win a starting prize of 500 million won (about $371,000).  The prize could increase depending upon the contestants' ability to finish challenges/puzzles.

I started this and I’ve never seen a game with so many rules. Over half the first episode was telling them rules. I finally just went to bed as my wife would miss some rule and rewind it and say “what?” “Huh?” “Fuck me how do you keep up with all these rules?”

On 10/5/2023 at 8:40 PM, Neonmoon said:

Reptile was fine. Acting was good. Story was basic. Had good tone. 

DelToro is a bmf and this one kept me guessing.  Thoroughly enjoyed watching his performance as much as I did Sicario.

On 9/26/2023 at 1:04 PM, 4th&Five said:

Adam became easily my favorite character over the course of the series.  I loved the first 2 seasons but the last 2 fell a bit short or were just too different.

Adam and the horses cracked me up. "Their faces are a totally normal size." 😂

I did shed tears in the finale. For the most part*, it was a great way to wrap everything up. And I loved Isaac's character and was glad to see him have a major role this season.

Spoiler

Didn't love how they wrapped up Jean's storyline re the baby. Are she and Dan and her sister going to be a in a weird co-parenting relationship all together at her house? And I guess the writers felt like it would be too nice of a story to have Jakob be the father, but I was bummed when he and Ola left. I really liked his character and thought he added a nice measure of stability to balance Jean's flightiness.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2023 at 8:11 PM, nycHorn said:

Beckham documentary is pretty good. Really good music. He’s surprisingly candid. Definitely worth a watch.

Wife and I watched it.  I did not know much about him regarding his career other than soccer icon, good looking chap with a hot wife.  

He had quite the roller coaster career while being hounded by paparazzi and press documenting his every breath.

Underneath it all, he seems to be a fairly normal dude that loves his wife and kids.  

A good watch.  

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 11:02 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Watched Reptile last night.

Not horrible, not great. It kinda felt like they didn’t quite know what type of movie they wanted to make.

Lots of you thought it was gonna be this guy, wrong! Roundabouts.

Benicio was great in it though.

My wife and I liked it enough.

Watched it within the last two weeks, and I had to think pretty hard to remember anything about it. I think you're right about them not knowing exactly what kind of movie they wanted. Barely not bad.

• Like 1

I started The Fall of The House of Usher last night. Mike Flanagan (Midnight Mass, Haunting of Hill House). It stars the people who always star in his stuff. Bruce Greenwood, Carla Gugino, the kid from ET. Also Luke Skywalker. Pretty good start. 

Watched the first two episodes. Seems like a Poe fanboy homage. Second episode was definitely Masque of the Red Death. I was zoning out in the first episode so that may have been a Poe tale also or it may have just been set up and character intro.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/14/2023 at 8:37 AM, Red Five said:

I started The Fall of The House of Usher last night. Mike Flanagan (Midnight Mass, Haunting of Hill House). It stars the people who always star in his stuff. Bruce Greenwood, Carla Gugino, the kid from ET. Also Luke Skywalker. Pretty good start. 

Been seeing a lot about this and being a Poe fanboy, I'm sorta interested. Let me ask your take:

My concern with not knowing anything about Flanagan or his previous stuff and the stills and reviews I've seen is that this some modern interpretation infused with satire and a "fresh" take on Edgar A. Poe complete with fashion forward beautiful people, witty dialogue and gratuitous sex and vulgarity for the sake of itself. How would you describe the this show? I don't want to waste my time on a Succession-meets-Poe. The way the episodes are named, is this an anthology or are each episodes a treatment on a Poe short story classic?

I went back and read the short story last night and think it scratched the itch, but still curious.

11 hours ago, demos said:

Watched the first two episodes. Seems like a Poe fanboy homage. Second episode was definitely Masque of the Red Death. I was zoning out in the first episode so that may have been a Poe tale also or it may have just been set up and character intro.

Just finished episode 1, succession meets Poe seemed accurate

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Been seeing a lot about this and being a Poe fanboy, I'm sorta interested. Let me ask your take:

My concern with not knowing anything about Flanagan or his previous stuff and the stills and reviews I've seen is that this some modern interpretation infused with satire and a "fresh" take on Edgar A. Poe complete with fashion forward beautiful people, witty dialogue and gratuitous sex and vulgarity for the sake of itself. How would you describe the this show? I don't want to waste my time on a Succession-meets-Poe. The way the episodes are named, is this an anthology or are each episodes a treatment on a Poe short story classic?

I went back and read the short story last night and think it scratched the itch, but still curious.

Only through two, but I'm a big Flanagan fan and would recommend anything he does. Never read the short story, I don't think.

On 10/17/2023 at 4:07 PM, BeardIP said:

It's an expanded version of the story The Fall of the House of Usher. Different Poe stories/poems are heavily referenced in each episode, and in this universe, they all come together to form the larger story of how the house of Usher fell. Obviously, many liberties are taken with the details. It's not perfect, nor my favorite Flanagan vehicle, but I still enjoyed it a lot. If you're a book nerd and Poe fan, you'll find it interesting, at minimum.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/22/2023 at 1:08 PM, austingirl said:

It's an expanded version of the story The Fall of the House of Usher. Different Poe stories/poems are heavily referenced in each episode, and in this universe, they all come together to form the larger story of how the house of Usher fell. Obviously, many liberties are taken with the details. It's not perfect, nor my favorite Flanagan vehicle, but I still enjoyed it a lot. If you're a book nerd and Poe fan, you'll find it interesting, at minimum.

Nailed it.  Each episode reimagines a classic Poe tale as the method of death for each of the Usher descendants (don't think that is much of a spoiler).  There are bonus references throughout the show and even a bonus reimagining of "The Cask of Amontillado" that isn't in an episode title.  The character names are fun references - Roderick's wife is Annabel Lee, his granddaughter is Lenore (lost love in "The Raven"), August Dupin is the "detective" in "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", Carla Gugino's character is Nerva - an anagram of Raven, Rufus Griswold (the evil CEO of Fortunato) has the same name as an editor/anthologist with whom Poe had a famously contentious relationship, and of course Fortunato (the Usher's company) shares the name of Montresor's rival in "The Cask of Amontillado."  There are lots of other Poe references that are fun to look for throughout the show.

It's a fun series, though far from perfect.  But having Gugino in the show papers over a lot of flaws for me.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Nailed it.  Each episode reimagines a classic Poe tale as the method of death for each of the Usher descendants (don't think that is much of a spoiler).  There are bonus references throughout the show and even a bonus reimagining of "The Cask of Amontillado" that isn't in an episode title.  The character names are fun references - Roderick's wife is Annabel Lee, his granddaughter is Lenore (lost love in "The Raven"), August Dupin is the "detective" in "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", Carla Gugino's character is Nerva - an anagram of Raven, Rufus Griswold (the evil CEO of Fortunato) has the same name as an editor/anthologist with whom Poe had a famously contentious relationship, and of course Fortunato (the Usher's company) shares the name of Montresor's rival in "The Cask of Amontillado."  There are lots of other Poe references that are fun to look for throughout the show.

It's a fun series, though far from perfect.  But having Gugino in the show papers over a lot of flaws for me.

This article details all the Poe references in the show.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The Big Vape is pretty good. It’s a 4 episode documentary about the rise and fall of Juul. 

It really pissed me off.   It's about a bunch of naive, yet egotistical, tech nerds who thought they were going to change the world with a deadly product.   It doesn't matter that Juul was less harmful than Marlboros.   It's still inhaling harmful vapor into your lungs.  Their marketing people in particular are a special kind of fucktard.  

The naivete that a flavored nicotiene product would not be appealing to kids, especially after their influencer blitz campaign, is just galling.   

• Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 9:18 PM, CooterBrown said:

This is getting good reviews. 4 detectives, in different eras, discover the same murdered body.

On 10/23/2023 at 10:32 AM, Speedtrucker said:

Started this last night. Looks interesting.

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Bodies was good. Kept me engaged.

4 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Just finished House of Usher, bodies was next on the list. Glad to see it’s holding up 

Bodies was fun as hell I thought. Time travel movies always have plot holes, but i thought it was well done enough and an interesting spin 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Superhero said:

Watched Old Dads last night. I like Bill Burr standup and the movie recycles a lot of same topics. But still a funny meh movie.

“… you’re so cold that when you open your legs, I can hear the East German national anthem.”

Same. I fucking lost it when he called that lady a stumpy cunt. Absolutely lost it.