$30MM heist in L.A.

Sandman

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-03/sylmar-burglary-money-storage-facility-30-million

In one of the largest cash heists in Los Angeles history, thieves made off with as much as $30 million in an Easter Sunday burglary at a San Fernando Valley money storage facility, an L.A. police official revealed Wednesday.

The burglary occurred Sunday night at an unnamed facility in Sylmar where cash from businesses across the region is handled and stored, according to L.A. Police Department Cmdr. Elaine Morales.

The burglars were able to breach the building as well as the safe where the money was stored, Morales said. Law enforcement sources said the break-in was among the largest burglaries in city history when it comes to cash, and the total surpassed any armored-car heist in the city as well.

Mystery surrounds the break-in.

Sources familiar with the investigation said a burglary crew broke through the roof of the facility to gain access to the vault. But it is unclear how they avoided the alarm system.

In addition, viewing the safe from the outside, it showed no signs of a break-in. The operators of the business, whom police did not identify, did not discover the massive theft until they opened the vault on Monday.

Authorities were alerted, and detectives from the LAPD’s Mission Division station responded to the crime scene to gather evidence.

Mystery shrouds the multimillion-dollar Brink's big rig heist

Further adding to the intrigue is that very few individuals would have known of the huge sums of cash that were being kept within that safe, according to the law enforcement sources.

The break-in was described as elaborate and suggested an experienced crew of burglars who knew how to gain entry to a secure facility unnoticed.

An FBI spokeswoman confirmed Wednesday night that the agency and the LAPD are investigating the theft.

The largest prior cash heist in Los Angeles was on Sept. 12, 1997, with the robbery of $18.9 million from the former site of the Dunbar Armored facility on Mateo Street. Those behind the theft were eventually caught.

Sunday’s incident also comes nearly two years after a multimillion-dollar theft of jewelry from a Brink’s big rig at a Grapevine truck stop.

As much as $100 million in jewels and valuables was taken from the truck.

In that case, thieves made off with the goods at 3 a.m. on July 11, 2022, stuffing more than 20 large bags with jewelry, gems and other items that the Brink’s tractor-trailer had been transporting from the International Gem and Jewelry Show in San Mateo to the L.A. area.

The heist occurred during a 27-minute window in which one driver slumbered in the vehicle’s sleeper berth and another ate a meal at the Flying J, a sprawling truck stop just off Interstate 5’s sinuous Grapevine in Lebec, Calif.

That crime remains unsolved.

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm not saying I know who did it, but there will be signs.....

2721-inset09-2024-lamborghini-revuleto.j

Yeah, my parents were on vacation in Vegas and an 18 wheeler totaled their car at the hotel. They went to a dealership to purchase a new car, and a guy at the dealership purchased a Ferrari with cash in a briefcase.

LOL... the "sophisticated" group apparently climbed the outside ladder to get on the roof, used the roof hatch to enter the building, opened the vault and then cut a hole in the side of the building to leave.... as none of these activities were being watched and no alarms were activated at "GuardAWorld" facility...

image.png.d7149c57c2c6673e14149cc6cdf6495e.png

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

LOL... the "sophisticated" group apparently climbed the outside ladder to get on the roof, used the roof hatch to enter the building, opened the vault and then cut a hole in the side of the building to leave.... as none of these activities were being watched and no alarms were activated at "GuardAWorld" facility...

That costs extra. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

giphy.gif

I know Garda is just taking on anybody with a pulse and a penchant for shooting, but I've seen multiple incidents of their drivers and guards just doing the dumbest shit.  Leaving the truck doors open with no coworker, driving like morons, and one guy off Brodie just left the bag on the ground while he went inside to take a piss.  At least they don't shoot dogs.  do they?  

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Parliament said:

So you get $30MM cash and then what?  Can’t exactly deposit it in your checking account.

It is so much easier to wash paper currency now than it used to be.  Or so Nate Paul and his associates have told me.  

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

So you get $30MM cash and then what?  Can’t exactly deposit it in your checking account.

You switch to an easier job with less stress and pay cash for your meals, booze, and massages

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

They'll just write it off.

All these crews, Jerry.  They just write it off.  

But they do, and they're ones ...writing it off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I know Garda is just taking on anybody with a pulse and a penchant for shooting, but I've seen multiple incidents of their drivers and guards just doing the dumbest shit.  Leaving the truck doors open with no coworker, driving like morons, and one guy off Brodie just left the bag on the ground while he went inside to take a piss.  At least they don't shoot dogs.  do they?  

They were the security contractors at my job. The got fired for being pretty incompetent. We then hired the guys that put in a bid lower than Garda...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

"Large cash storage facility" sounds like a place where cannabis shops keep their money since they can't put it in a bank.  

That could definitely be the case here, but I'm pretty sure there are many banks in CA that will now do business with those in the industry.

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

Further adding to the intrigue is that very few individuals would have known of the huge sums of cash that were being kept within that safe, according to the law enforcement sources.

I don't know, you see a big safe there's probably an above average chance there is a lot of cash in it at some point.

3 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Storage facility?

Probably these guys giving it another go

bottle.gif.c10618fde8d099ee7e2c895bd18a0875.gif

Did it ever occur to you that a Lawn Crew is the perfect cover for a money heist gang?  

• Hook 'Em 3

Watch what happens when that $30mm turns up as equity in a bail bond later this week.  But I keep failing to respect some of you think we're living in a real life deal and not a simulation.  The connection between this crew and certain overseas adversaries, plus the timing is a little too quaint.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1