Colt McCoy 2018 Destination

FWD

• 1 year later...

Colt turns 37 next week. Had a good ride !!! 🤘

Cardinals Reveal Why They Cut Colt McCoy

Story by Donnie Druin •1h

AA1eoYMX.img?w=612&h=407&m=6

The Arizona Cardinals took the football world for a ride on Monday by releasing quarterback Colt McCoy. 

The move came just minutes after Kyler Murray was reportedly going to remain on the PUP list, leaving the Cardinals without their franchise quarterback for at least the first four games of the season. 

McCoy and rookie fifth-round pick Clayton Tune were considered the two frontrunners for the season opener when the team played the Washington Commanders at FedEx Field. McCoy took majority of reps with the starters through both training camp and preseason play. 

McCoy - who did not play in Arizona's preseason finale vs Minnesota - was hindered by his age and durability in the competition. He played just four drives in the preseason and had multiple scheduled "off" days where he didn't throw during camp.

When meeting with reporters shortly after the news broke, Cardinals head coach Jonathan Gannon cited overall body of work and production as to why McCoy was released.

"Just like with every decision, you look at the full body of work. [We] Evaluate our guys, production goes into that and felt like it was the best decision for the team to move forward with the guys that we have in the room to help win us a football game," said Gannon, who mentioned McCoy handled the news "like a pro".

McCoy attempted just 12 passes in the preseason but reportedly did not have a great outing during the team's joint practices with the Minnesota Vikings.

Now, Tune will battle against the newly acquired Josh Dobbs for the starting job. Gannon said they wouldn't name a starter due to having a "competitive advantage" but it appears they have somebody already in mind.

"I think we got a plan in place, but I want to see them both play football still. This week we've got some work and then the following week we got some work, but I feel good with where we're at."

The Cardinals play Washington on Sunday, Sept. 10. 

image.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's plenty good enough to still play somewhere. The Cardinals are quickly turning into the biggest joke in the NFL. 

I think he'd make good money if he wanted to do TV, though. 

They should have cut Murray.  He will never win anything for the Cards….he got paid….now, he don’t care if he plays or not.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He doesn’t really strike me as someone that would go into coaching or broadcasting after football. I think when he’s done with the game he’s done.

He called USFL games this year already and if you watched Hard Knocks with Arizona, you can definitely see him possibly coaching.  

• Hook 'Em 5

For those of us oblivious to how NFL calendars work.  Is there some kinda deadline where he has until to catch on with another franchise?  I assume there's some set date where that's your 56-man roster plus practice squad and you can only change it in the event of serious injuries?  I doubt Colt would just hang back and train and hope to make somebody's practice squad.  Either he inks a deal for 2nd/3rd string coming outta preseason into regular season by such-and-such date or he retires?  How does that usually work with seasoned veterans who are let go and don't want to just pitter-patter for some possible practice squad job with the hope they move up to 3rd team?  For QB"s, I imagine that's rare.  But I dunno.

56 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'm happy for him being away from that shit organization.

Hope he catches on somewhere else.  If not, he's had a good run and made some damn good bank for carrying a clipboard.  Go home to that hot wife and get some consoling, then come home to Austin and work with our QBs.

The Baylor alum that doesn't know when to shut  the fuck up?  That wife? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

For those of us oblivious to how NFL calendars work.  Is there some kinda deadline where he has until to catch on with another franchise?  I assume there's some set date where that's your 56-man roster plus practice squad and you can only change it in the event of serious injuries?  I doubt Colt would just hang back and train and hope to make somebody's practice squad.  Either he inks a deal for 2nd/3rd string coming outta preseason into regular season by such-and-such date or he retires?  How does that usually work with seasoned veterans who are let go and don't want to just pitter-patter for some possible practice squad job with the hope they move up to 3rd team?  For QB"s, I imagine that's rare.  But I dunno.

I think he’ll just go thru waivers and if no team picks him up on the regular roster, recent rule changes would allow him to be on a practice squad if he and a team so desires.

He can probably make a lot more money with the ÚT connections he’s made rather than be a practice squad QB.

• Hook 'Em 2

I would have loved Colt in the Cowboys locker room as qb2/3. Certainly more so than fucking Trey Lance. Colt will be fine whatever he does.

The only thing that matters with a vet like him is money. The only rule that teams play with much is week 1 which if you’re on roster that week your salary is guaranteed. So after the first game there is more juggling. Teams add /drop players all thru a season due to injuries, position needs, etc. cuts go thru waivers except old vets; if no one picks up they are FAs.

4 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Colt was the only QB still in the NFL from his draft year for awhile now.

Decade and a half of backup QB money without the wear and tear on the body is a pretty good gig.

Hard to believe it’s been almost 15 years since Colt left Texas

This site never has a lack of white knights. No need to curse at Arizona. They did Colt a favor by making him a free agent rather than getting him killed on an intentionally terrible team, and Colt would win more games than Dobbs/Tune. They want Caleb Williams (or his draft rights to trade) to pair with the Texans first rounder, and the extra third, fourth, and fifth round picks they’ve accumulated for the 2024 draft. If an average to good NFL team doesn’t have a young backup QB they are interested in developing, he will catch on. He may be happy to call it a career. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

yeah, I believe that after the first weeks games, we will know if Colt is staying around for 1 more year.  any team could pick him up after game 1 and give him whatever money for a contract that would, in effect, be a game-to-game contract.   The new team could cut him at anytime and he only gets paid game share if he was on the game day 48 man roster. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Clockwork.  EVERYTHING about Colt screams "coach".

Yep, I can definitely see him coaching. At this point in his career I was hoping for a fairytale ending. Would like to have seen him as QB2(somewhere), have a struggling QB1 go down, and see Pistola come in and save the season, get his team into the playoffs and then win the Super Bowl, and then ride off into the sunset with Horns held high, shouting to his former teams "snack on deez nuts bitches!

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 2:57 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

He's made a shit load of money and his brains are still intact.

high quality GIF

He'd had more than his fair share of concussions before he even made it to the 40. And then there was that KSU game.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1