Kanye

Hank Kingsley

Kanye is proof that music/art opinions are subjective.  Kanye is pop music attempting to be art music.

There is no accounting for taste, especially when the artist has documented mental health issues - especially cluster b personality disorders:

We all know someone like Kanye. One would hope his friends would get him the help he needs. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Now he can whine about cancel culture and make shoes with some half-assed right wing shoe company. 

There's nothing cool about right-wing dorks and they'd never wear anything he made.  Wearing boat shoes is "edgy" with that crowd. 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Adidas terminates partnership with Ye
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/business/adidas-ye-ends-partnership/index.html

Never tell highly paid lawyers what they can and can’t do with a contract. While Kanye made dangerous comments that only further centuries old bigotry, it’s obvious he has no one in his life that will or can help him.

Whats Up Stare GIF by NBA

• Haha 4

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2022/10/25/billionaire-no-more-kanye-wests-anti-semitism-obliterates-his-net-worth-as-adidas-cuts-ties/?sh=28eb9d1d17e7

Just days ago, the rapper-cum-fashion entrepreneur Kanye West challenged Adidas to drop him following a weekslong barrage of anti-Semitic remarks made on social media and in national media appearances.

"I can say anti-Semitic s—- and Adidas cannot drop me," said the rapper, who legally now goes by the name Ye, on the Drink Champs podcast earlier this month. Ye, who had worked with Adidas since 2013 on his Yeezy line of super expensive, super popular sneakers, thought he was untouchable. After all, Adidas gets an estimated 4% to 8% of its sales from Yeezy products, according to investment bank Cowen. For Ye, it was an even bigger deal, accounting for $1.5 billion of his net worth.

But Ye’s words put the German athletic wear company, with its own Nazi ties dating back to its founders, in the hot seat. What followed was even more escalating pressure on Adidas to sever ties with Ye, as his string of anti-Semitic remarks drew condemnation from the top tiers of Hollywood. For weeks, Adidas stayed silent, except to say on October 6 that their partnership with Ye was “under review.”

The pressure ratcheted up on Adidas after an image was released over the weekend of a banner draped over a Los Angeles highway overpass reading “Kanye was right about the Jews” accompanied by a group of white supremacists giving the Nazi salute to the drivers below. The white supremacists were apparently referring to Ye’s “death con 3 on Jewish people” tweet that got his Twitter account locked; other anti-Semitic remarks got him blocked on Instagram, and thousands upon thousands upon thousands of social media users chorused for Adidas to also drop Ye.

Today—Tuesday, October 25—Adidas finally broke its silence and ended the relationship. That move will cost them big but Ye even more, immediately knocking him out of the billionaire ranks.

“Adidas does not tolerate anti-Semitism and any other sort of hate speech. Ye’s recent comments and actions have been unacceptable, hateful and dangerous, and they violate the company’s values of diversity and inclusion, mutual respect and fairness,” the company declared in a press release. “After a thorough review, the company has taken the decision to terminate the partnership with Ye immediately, end production of Yeezy branded products and stop all payments to Ye and his companies. Adidas will stop the Adidas Yeezy business with immediate effect.”

With that gone, Ye is no longer a billionaire.

Spoiler

It caps a stunning, self-induced downfall for one of the brashest and most volatile personalities to have graced Forbes’ pages (and a magazine cover.) Ye did not respond to request for comment.

The $1.5 billion value of the Adidas deal was calculated off of a multiple of annual earnings. Based on interviews with industry experts, Forbes had viewed the royalties Ye received from Adidas to be similar to royalties from music catalogs or film residuals. The Adidas income stream could be sold off, those experts said, just like dozens of musicians (including the likes of Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen) have sold off their life’s work over the past two years.

Without Adidas, Ye is worth $400 million. The remainder of Ye’s fortune, Forbes estimates, comes from real estate, cash, his music catalog, and a 5% stake in ex-wife Kim Kardashian’s shapewear firm, Skims. (A source close to Skims told Forbes Ye hasn’t been involved with the brand since its 2019 launch.)

Removing Ye from the billionaires’ list caps off a yearslong saga between the rapper and Forbes. Ye always felt his net worth was undervalued. When he first made the list in 2020, with an estimated $1 billion fortune, Ye wasn’t happy. “It’s not a billion,” he texted us at the time. “It’s $3.3 billion since no one at Forbes knows how to count.”

This pattern continued every year, with Ye continuing to complain about our low numbers. For this year’s valuation, Ye sent documents claiming his Adidas partnership alone was worth $4.3 billion. When Ye learned he would clock in at $2 billion overall, his unhappiness with Forbes leaked to the tabloids.

Losing Adidas was the final nail in Ye’s net worth coffin. GapGPS +2.6% terminated its Yeezy partnership in September. Earlier this month, JP Morgan reportedly unbanked Ye. French fashion house Balenciaga nixed their relationship with Ye on October 21, just weeks after he walked their runway at Paris Fashion Week.

Just yesterday production company MRC said it would not air a completed documentary on Ye and talent agency CAA, where Ye was signed, dumped him.

The two had been in partnership since 2013, when news of their Yeezy collaboration was announced. In the decade since, Ye’s ridden wave after wave of conflict—with Taylor Swift, with his former recording home Universal Music Group, and more recently on social media against Kardashian and her boyfriend at the time, SNL alum Pete Davidson.

Now the road has ended. (There’s always the chance Ye could relaunch Yeezy on his own.) Five days ago Ye made his first post to Parler, the right wing social media site he agreed to acquire for an undisclosed amount after getting locked out of Twitter and Instagram. He quoted Romans 8:31.

“What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”

33 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So Kanye's net worth just dropped from 1.5 billion to 400 million?  That's pretty much the definition of fucking around and finding out.

Really?  I'm pretty sure I could get by for the next 40 years on 400 million.  He won't find out until and unless he goes broke.

Edited by Goredho

Y’all counting Kanye out but he will be back better than ever. It’s the Hollywood way. It might take a decade or two, but he will be back on top, just you wait.

Hopefully he gets the help he needs to facilitate his comeback though because he clearly is in need of professional help.

Edited by MeerkatBong

45 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Y’all counting Kanye out but he will be back better than ever. It’s the Hollywood way. It might take a decade or two, but he will be back on top, just you wait.

Hopefully he gets the help he needs to facilitate his comeback though because he clearly is in need of professional help.

Perhaps. On the the other hand, taking Kanye and the entirety of the Kardashian klan would be a high risk high reward approach to celebrity death pools next year. 

I’ve only liked one of Kayne’s songs. Odd thing is (yes I’m a fucking dork I watch The Voice) it was season one or two and Blake Shelton had two contestants left competing. Dia Frampton sang that in such a cool broken down different way.

Anyway, it’s sad watching someone who is clearly talented like Kayne but also so damaged. As I am part Jewish I’m tired of the hate I see be said. I will not excuse his bs nor will I try to mitigate for him. It’s just sad to me. Anyway all I could find is a video where you can hear it just not see her actually play the piano and the judges all react. 

1 hour ago, MeerkatBong said:

Let's go over this again.

Narcissistic people do not think they have a problem. That would mean they are capable of being wrong about something which in their mind is unpossible.

They don't have a problem. Everyone else does. Why do they need therapy if they didn't do anything wrong?

• Hook 'Em 6

read a story this morning where Adidas' statement lead most to believe that they own ALL of the Kanye designs. Kanye cannot take them to another shoe manufacturer. It does sound like he owns the rights to the Ye trademark but not much else.

In a sense, he was an Adidas employee (highly compensated) and he was just kicked the curb.

2 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

Hmm, maybe Mel Gibson could ask him how it's done.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

read a story this morning where Adidas' statement lead most to believe that they own ALL of the Kanye designs. Kanye cannot take them to another shoe manufacturer. It does sound like he owns the rights to the Ye trademark but not much else.

In a sense, he was an Adidas employee (highly compensated) and he was just kicked the curb.

It's almost if they just used his name and designed the shoes themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I heard this as well and that Adidas was going to move forward with selling the produced merchandise that was designed and made, just without the Kanye logo(s).

Now, whether anyone wants to buy them for intrinsic value, e.g. without the Yeezy label, will be a fabulously interesting case study and one I'm looking forward to. I'm curious how inelasticity works in terms of celebrity/logo names, etc. especially with the legacy fashion houses, but this will work.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yea people seem to think he got the Jordan treatment but my understanding is that’s not the case at all. 

I only know as much about West as I am made to know. 

What is the mental problem some keep mentioning? Is there some diagnosis?

He made an ass of himself at the Swift award thing and the video above is embarrassingly incoherent. He married a Kardashian and wrote a lyric about knowing he loved her when he "impregnated her mouth."

I have no notion of his talent as an artist.

So, what's the deal about his mental health?