Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Shipley would’ve started in 2004 or 2005 if he was healthy. It was Jeffrey and FR Limas Sweed, and the two TEs Scaife and Thomas. Quan Cosby was decently rated out of HS when he committed to Baylor then went to play baseball. He quit baseball in time to join the 2005 Longhorns. Addition of Cosby plus Billy Pittman made it easier to put Shipley on (injury) redshirt again. 

Jaxon wasn’t as good as Jordan, but had all his ligaments intact. I thought he’d have a better career than he did, but he played through the beginning of our QB desert. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Shipley would’ve started in 2004 or 2005 if he was healthy. It was Jeffrey and FR Limas Sweed, and the two TEs Scaife and Thomas. Quan Cosby was decently rated out of HS when he committed to Baylor then went to play baseball. He quit baseball in time to join the 2005 Longhorns. Addition of Cosby plus Billy Pittman made it easier to put Shipley on (injury) redshirt again. 

Jaxon wasn’t as good as Jordan, but had all his ligaments intact. I thought he’d have a better career than he did, but he played through the beginning of our QB desert. 

Quan was a Texas commit in 2001 and 2005.  His brother was Baylor.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

We had dick for WRs that year.  Big 3 had graduated.  Lots of busts from classes after Big 3.  Timmons, Marquis Johnson, Myron Hardy, etc.  Sweed and Pittman were not ready for prime time until 2005.

Wr Corp all comes down to JWhitt. It isnt a shit group when he plays. Unfortunately the perennial question with JWhitt, is how many games will he play.

Lets not forget the mythical Longhorn beast that is Troy Omeire. We may actually get a sighting this year. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

~ Harris shitted on A&M basically all year and then all of a sudden has a top 3 with them included and the so-called Favorite. 

kinda reminds me of a scene in Pony Exce$$, the 30 for 30 on SMU's cheating and the death penalty.  Lou Holtz was the coach at Arkansas and thought he had a stud player all locked up.  the kid calls Holtz one day and says he changed his mind and will commit to SMU because it's a better fit.  Holtz says, "Well son, you didn't even take a recruiting visit to SMU."  Kid says, "Yeah, well, I just think it's a better fit."  Cash money will do that to a kid.

and i found this clip about Eric Dickerson's recruitment and the "Trans A&M."  the producers of Pony Exce$$ pulled some great footage from WFAA's archives.  this footage is incredible.  and we really haven't evolved from it that much.  aggy is still doing the same shit.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Damn, seeing it laid out like that - that is a sad WR room. Best player by a mile was a true freshman. Second best is constantly injured. Can't even give out a bronze medal.

Hope Stewart likes it at aggy, he would've caught a bunch of balls here next year.

Xavier Worthy - Cadillac Eldorado

Whittington - set of steak knives 

Everyone else - you’re fired

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, burdine said:

Watching Bama tape, Sark liked his receivers to catch on the run and threaten deep and used RBs and TEs to pick apart underneath.

Sark's reasoning is because when a receiver catches a ball standing still, he's not taking advantage of his speed and athleticism. 

8 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

It won’t take Stewart long to hit the portal next year. Once Jimbo starts repping his 3 TE sets for most of camp, he will start packing his shit

Yup, when he realizes he's blocking and get his 2 targets a game, he'll portal out.  Meanwhile, Worthy and Thompson will be running deep catching bombs.  Pretty sure Worthy had more targets just in the Kansas game than Demas did all year.

4 minutes ago, thepop said:

Surprised Quinn's return has had zero impact on receivers thus far.

It’s December 16th buddy. We have been linked with Boutee out of LSU and Marvin Mims should they portal. Just yesterday, Nahlin said that Texas has a star portal receiver locked up if he were to enter but he’s mulling the decision right now. This is not something to panic over at the moment, imo. A long offseason awaits 

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Damn, seeing it laid out like that - that is a sad WR room. Best player by a mile was a true freshman. Second best is constantly injured. Can't even give out a bronze medal.

Hope Stewart likes it at aggy, he would've caught a bunch of balls here next year.

Just listed to a whole segment on the Horn about numbers….   No matter what happens they have to save spots for two transfer WR’s and two LB’s bad!

8 minutes ago, thepop said:

Surprised Quinn's return has had zero impact on receivers thus far.

We don't have many offers out and our WR coach is probably gettting shitcanned.

Stewart got bought, Preston went Bama, Thompson and Law would pretty much lock up the "speed guys" demo, it's questionable whether we actually want Caleb Douglas, and we apparently have some transfer irons in the fire.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

WTH.  Did Limas take your girlfriend?

He won a freaking Super Bowl.

He’s 36 years old. THAT’S why he’s not “still in the NFL”.

Stop being obtuse.

Stop. He was out of the NFL at 26 years old. 
7 catches, 69 yards and 0 TDs 

I like Sweed and he was a great longhorn and will always be remembered for his Ohio State catch. 

But most everyone will tell you, he didn’t pan out. Maybe due to injury or “personal reasons”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

Serious and likely dumb question:  are there examples of small receivers who played small school competition who have gone on to ball out / ball out early on big stage? 

I really like the kid but it's also not reassuring to know that my ass would have been good enough (i.e. a barely athletic warm body) to play for most of the teams he's owning in his tape.  Did he dominate 7 on 7 circuit against better competition?

Wes Welker

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So, I really shouldn’t have done this but I was listening to ESPNU on XM radio this morning while in FL on a business trip.  Not sure who was speaking but they literally were praising Jimbo for his recruiting class and how he does it the right way and is looking like the next Saban.  They said if he can beat Bama with lesser talent imagine how good they will be with all of this talent coming in.  The two announcers went on to rip UT because of the NIL deal calling out specifically that our OL get $50K without even playing and this is the wrong way to do things while A&M is doing everything right.  I thought I was about to swerve off the road listening to this shit but sadly this is what America hears.  UT-Bad and cheating with NIL, A&M-Good and doing things the right way and Jimbo is just the best recruiter out there.  They mentioned nothing about their DC leaving and none of the kids questioning it or WR’s going to a team that historically doesn’t use its WR’s very well.   I am just pissed listening to this kind of crap.

i listen to it in the mornings as well when i take my girls to school or to their bus stops.  We really are the Evil Empire, McElroy or whatever on First Team loved to label Texas as a headache because of boosters, expectations and disarray.  I thought once he got fired from the show it would change a little but it hasn't.  Now the ex FSU QB is pretty neutral and even favorable to UT for the most part (Kennell?).

Oh but let Gabe Ikard or Dusty co host the show then yeah, what UT is doing is TERRIBLE.

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So, I really shouldn’t have done this but I was listening to ESPNU on XM radio this morning while in FL on a business trip.  Not sure who was speaking but they literally were praising Jimbo for his recruiting class and how he does it the right way and is looking like the next Saban.  They said if he can beat Bama with lesser talent imagine how good they will be with all of this talent coming in.  The two announcers went on to rip UT because of the NIL deal calling out specifically that our OL get $50K without even playing and this is the wrong way to do things while A&M is doing everything right.  I thought I was about to swerve off the road listening to this shit but sadly this is what America hears.  UT-Bad and cheating with NIL, A&M-Good and doing things the right way and Jimbo is just the best recruiter out there.  They mentioned nothing about their DC leaving and none of the kids questioning it or WR’s going to a team that historically doesn’t use its WR’s very well.   I am just pissed listening to this kind of crap.

Really is time to embrace the hate and fuck everyone over.

Otherwise....yeah, who gives a shit.

• Hook 'Em 5

I hope Saban/Bama get fed up with aggy cheating and lower the boom on those clowns. Imagine GoLL should aggy get SMU’ed.
  • Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting