Bride dies at the alter- "Lil' sis, c'mon down!" (India)

Sbbruin

A bride collapsed and died at her wedding. The groom then married the woman's sister with her dead body lying in the next room.  

A wedding in India took a morbid turn when the bride collapsed and died just before completing her wedding rituals. Instead, the groom ended up marrying her younger sister on the same day — with the original bride's body lying in another room.

The incident took place May 27 in the village of Samaspur, in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, per The Times of India. The wedding was between a woman named Surabhi and a man named Mangesh Kumar from the nearby village of Nawli.

The two were exchanging traditional flower garlands during a ceremony called the jaimala when Surabhi collapsed onstage. A doctor rushed to treat her but later declared that she died from a heart attack, per the local news outlet News 18.

The day's festivities continued, however, but with a different bride. While Surabhi's body lay in another room in the house, the nuptials carried on with her younger sister Nisha replacing her.

"We did not know what to do in the situation. Both the families sat together and someone suggested that my younger sister Nisha should be married to the groom," Surbhi's brother Saurabh told the local news channel TV9.

Arranged marriage is not uncommon in India.

"Most Indian marriages are arranged between families, not girl and boy whose consent is rarely factored into the equation," said Kamei Aphun, a sociology professor at Delhi University told the South China Morning Post.

Janaki Abraham, a professor at Delhi University, told SCMP that the families may have been pressured to make a match because of the expense of throwing a wedding. 

"Indian marriages, even among the lower classes, are expensive affairs where even the poorest of poor have to organize lavish functions in the name of 'family honor,'" she said.

"It was a tough call for our family. One daughter lay dead in one room and the wedding of another daughter was being solemnized in the other room," Surabhi's uncle Ajab Singh told TV9.

"We have never witnessed such mixed emotions," Singh said. "The grief over her death and the happiness of the wedding have yet to sink in."

It was the second time in recent weeks that a last-minute wedding substitute in India made the news. Earlier in May, a bride in the Maharajpur town of Uttar Pradesh married a member of the groom's wedding party after her husband-to-be ran off partway through the ceremony. The bride's family selected a new groom from the array of groomsmen and agreed on the match.

https://www.insider.com/man-married-brides-sister-after-she-died-during-their-wedding-2021-6

• Hook 'Em 1

spacer.png

"I was the best man at a wedding one time, that was pretty good. Pretty good title, I thought, best man. I thought it was a bit much. I thought we'd have the groom and a pretty good man. That's more than enough. If I'm the best man, why is she marrying him?"

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

It was the second time in recent weeks that a last-minute wedding substitute in India made the news. Earlier in May, a bride in the Maharajpur town of Uttar Pradesh married a member of the groom's wedding party after her husband-to-be ran off partway through the ceremony. The bride's family selected a new groom from the array of groomsmen and agreed on the match.

You.  Apu.  Get over here.  Wanna get laid?  Your'e next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

"It was a tough call for our family. One daughter lay dead in one room and the wedding of another daughter was being solemnized in the other room," Surabhi's uncle Ajab Singh...

Yeah.... I read that as "sodomized" the first time. Makes for a completely different perspective

• Haha 2

I forwarded the story to a friend of mine in southern India. She replied that while the dead bride twist was uncommon, there are many many stories of the bride or groom-to-be running away from arranged marriages. The shamed family will quickly grab another sibling or cousin to take their place.

• 1 year later...

India, man...

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/india/groom-dead-home-theatre-blast-b2314520.html?utm_source=reddit.com

A newlywed man and his brother died after a home theatre music system that they received as a wedding gift exploded in India's Chhattisgarh state.

The explosive-laden music system was allegedly gifted by the bride's ex-lover, who was livid about her getting married to another man, the police said.

The intensity of the blast was so strong that it reportedly brought down the roof and walls of the house.

The suspect, identified as 33-year-old Sarju Markam, was arrested from the neighbouring state of Madhya Pradesh on Tuesday.

Mr Markam, a married man and a father of two sons, was allegedly in a relationship with a 29-year-old woman and wanted her to be his second wife.

"Markam had initially lied to Merawi’s wife that he was not married. After she realised the truth, she refused to marry him. But he kept threatening her to marry him,” the police said in a statement.

The suspect also threatened Merawi and the two previously had an altercation over the issue.

“Markam fitted the bomb in the system and kept it below the mandap (platform) along with other gifts,” superintendent of police Lal Umed Singh was quoted by the Indian Express as saying.

“The accused told the police that he had planted the explosive in the home theatre and gifted it to the newly married couple in a bid to kill them. When the newlywed played the Nickelback CD which was included, the system detonated and destroyed everything around it, much like Nickelback's career."

I may have added that last sentence.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

I guess since we are on the topic, found another fun article.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/human-sacrifice-india-arrests-hindu-temple-ritual-murder-police-say/

New Delhi — Police in India have arrested five people in connection with the 2019 murder of a woman at a Hindu temple in what they say was a case of ritual human sacrifice. A Shanti Shaw, 64, was beheaded with a machete at the Kamakhya Temple in Assam state's capital Guwahati as an "offering" to the temple goddess, police said.

Shaw's decapitated body was found in June 2019, but only identified a month later by her son. She had travelled to the temple with a Hindu "godman" and two other women from another state to attend an annual fair.

"During investigation, we found this was a case of human sacrifice to please Maa Kamakhya (a Hindu goddess)," said Barah.

Pathak's brother died 11 years earlier, and he allegedly wanted to perform a Hindu ritual on the date of his death in memory of his brother, according to the police chief.

"The accused apparently believed that the sacrifice would appease the soul of the deceased," said Barah.

Human sacrifices are not unknown in India, where official data show there were more than 100 reported cases between 2014 and 2021.