ESPN Airs IMG Game Against Another Fake High School

Hiphopopotamos

For those who aren't familiar - ESPN aired a high school football game this weekend between IMG and Bishop Sycamore.  During the game announcers had to apologize for just how lopsided the game was and for allowing the game to go on.

Shortly after the game it came out that Bishop Sycamore is an online only school without a legitimate address and is run by a group off grifters.

They also had played a game on Friday, two days before their game against IMG.

And they didn't have enough players to field a complete team - several of their players had to play both ways.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

ESPN doesn't care because ESPN had eyes on ESPN.  ESPN cares about ESPN and promoting ESPN.  

If you don't know it already, ESPN sucks.  It is too bad they have so much power and control so much of sports television.  They are an insufferable lot that I have to tune in to every now and again in order to watch a college football game.  Beyond CFB, I never watch ESPN. 

If ESPN imploded tomorrow I'd dance a jig in the street and put on a top hat so awful it would scare women and children and start fights in south Texas bars. 

Now that's commitment 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You’re sooo mad you’re relegated to the big 12. 

I'm not in the Big XII...

I am however, a huge  high school football fan.  The IMGs of the world suck ass.  ESPN getting involved in telecasting high school games is bullshit too.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I love that the Bishop Sycamore retweeted the 2nd tweet about how they aren't a scam, but instead are just shitty.

“I beg your pardon, we are a prep school sir! We are just starting off and just haven’t gotten around to getting certified, having actual students and becoming… *looks at notes*… ‘eligible’.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I imagine that ESPN has a contract with IMG to air their games and it was IMG that fucked up by scheduling this fake faker school

Well I mean there's an easy way to never have that problem again.

Not eligible for your location's state championship? You don't get on ESPN.

ESPN’s statement:

“We regret that this happened and have discussed it with Paragon, which secured the matchup and handles the majority of our high school event scheduling. They have ensured us that they will take steps to prevent this kind of situation from happening moving forward,” ESPN’s statement reads.

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Was reading about this last night.  How does that not get vetted/caught by either the broker that pitched the game or ESPN itself.

It's actually unbelievable that this slipped through the cracks,

what the fuck you just say?

th?id=OIP.hHwalxp8qgzBGii2tr1YnAHaEy%26p

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Duncanville has to cancel their game against Sycamore right??  Can't give those asshats any more coverage.

And give up the easy win?   Not sure you understand Texas High School Football.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

ESPN’s statement:

“We regret that this happened and have discussed it with Paragon, which secured the matchup and handles the majority of our high school event scheduling. They have ensured us that they will take steps to prevent this kind of situation from happening moving forward,” ESPN’s statement reads.

Trasnlation:  They're going to use Google before we start loading up our equipment trucks.

• Like 2

While placing my bets, my suspicions should have been raised when most of the athletes listed had offers from Southern New Hampshire, Strayer, and Liberty Univ.

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

And give up the easy win?   Not sure you understand Texas High School Football.

D'Ville doesn't need a non-district game to prove anything. I doubt they'll keep a game against juco-aged players. Especially if it's costly to their bottom line.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

While placing my bets, my suspicions should have been raised when most of the athletes listed had offers from Southern New Hampshire, Strayer, and Liberty Univ.

"I've got offers from Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook and by gum, I'll put them on the map!"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pulled from another site regarding the coaches and some of their outstanding "issues":

Since the media finally noticed this story a full three years too late, here's a little trail of public records to follow.

08/30/18 Heartland Bank v. Richard Allen Group (Roy Johnson, Jay Richardson) case no. 18 CV 007448 Franklin County $90,449
11/26/18 First Merchants Bank v. Roy Johnson, Jay Richardson case no. 18 CV 009775 Franklin County $105,461656

Bank fraud, defaulted on both loans.

05/20/19 ARN Hospitality (Baymont Inn) v. Roy Johnson, Christians of Faith Academy case no. 19 CV H 05 0293 Delaware County $110,685

The coaches and players stayed at the Baymont Inn for about six weeks during the 2018 season then absconded without paying.

10/08/19 Tailwind Griff LLC v. Roy Johnson case no. 2019 CVG 039752 Franklin County Municipal
10/16/19 Tailwind Griff LLC v. Andre Peterson case no. 2019 CVG 040542 Franklin County Municipal

The team stayed at The Griff apartments during the 2019 season without paying. There's an additional 22 other eviction cases against the players themselves. Rent was probably about $35,000 per month for all 24 apartments.

03/09/20 Delaware County v. Roy Johnson case no. 20CRB00393 Delaware County Municipal (Domestic Violence, Assault, Disorderly Conduct)

Most coaches get fired for this. Not at Bishop Sycamore.

09/21/20 Commons On Kinnear v. ISE Foundation case nos. 2020 CVG 023515 to 023545 Franklin County Municipal (16 cases total)

Evictions following the 2020 football season. Went by the name ISE Foundation that year. Rent was probably about $25,000 per month for all 16 apartments.

03/31/21 Cardinal Transportation Ltd. v. Andre Peterson, Leroy Johnson case no. 2021 CVF 009359 Franklin County Municipal

A charter bus company, amount owed unknown.

07/02/21 Delaware County bench warrant issued for Leroy Johnson Jr. re: case no. 20CRB00393

• Like 1