Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

For past shootings, many GOP pols including I believe Ted Cruz have hung their hat on the statements that if you show them one potential gun control law that would have prevented the shootings, they would pass it. That statement is strangely missing from Uvalde especially in light that an 18 year old buying the weapons 1 day after he was legally allowed to make the purchase.

change the law to being 21 years old to buy and 21 victims would be alive today. Maybe just maybe even the shooter would turn his life around in the next 3 years especially if the mental health help that Abbott always promises, but never delivers, becomes available to him.

today we have Cruz and Abbott moving the goal posts that any new gun control has to guarantee to prevent ALL school/mass shootings. You know, the same requirement that we have with 0 other problems.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, David Dennison said:

And living in rural Texas exposes one to the equally toxic conservative inferiority complex.

I know I should read further than this, but I can't. 

In the middle of a discussion about our chronic problem of mass slaughters, somebody goes all Rush Limbaugh by lumping whatever he wants believe the illusory homogenized liberal monolith into an enemy he presumes to speak for.

These imagined Austin libs are toxic! I've been among the minorities a little bit, so I know!

Derailment ensues until brought back on course by next inevitable slaughter.

I don't have a sense of Bateshorn being an ideologue or troll. Nothing personal, but this time your post serves a bad end.

On this topic, the ebil libs hold the high ground even if they can't manage to exploit it. Their difficulty is largely because the hate engine has convinced the rubes that any move from the left is by definition an assault on our precious bodily fluids.

Fuck Rush and his anti-republic legacy.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think I have turned a corner. Many of y’all probably did a long time ago. But after this shit, between the response by right wing politicians, right wing citizens (including the posters here) and the silence of the middle, I am starting to consider them the enemy. Straight up. Not people to compromise or negotiate with. They don’t want it. Fuck them. They are cowards of the highest order. Most can’t even rub two brain cells together. Gun worshiping, religious nut jobs, hateful nationalists. Fuck them all.

Contact Brisket for The Ledge starter pack.  Welcome aboard!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/28/2022 at 9:05 AM, scottsins said:

Yep. That’s why, IMO, magazine capacity limits across all platforms are the way to go.

What's the number and why do you think it will make a difference? Parkland psycho used 10 round magazines because they fit better in his duffel or whatever

1 minute ago, B00M said:

What's the number and why do you think it will make a difference? Parkland psycho used 10 round magazines because they fit better in his duffel or whatever

Uvalde shooter used one door…

1 minute ago, B00M said:

It will depend on the platform as well. Enfield holds ten.  A .22 tube feed holds well over ten in most. It's not one size fits all.

But,we can't even get to the discussions much less legislation because one party is determined to do their best or worst to obstruct any change other than the loosening of the regulations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Damn, wish I thought of that.

Why are we all so fucking blind?  I'm with you.  We've made the point before, but not in such a compelling way.  The logic pretzel is absolutely infuriating.

There’s just not a reason a weapon that can do this kind of damage should be available to anybody outside of the military:

An assault rifle is designed to deliver fatal wounds to multiple individuals within a short time period; it has no other purpose. The AR-15, the civilian version of the military assault rifle (M16 or M4), has become the most commonly used rifle in US mass shootings; the recent shootings in Parkland and Las Vegas, for instance, testify to the effectiveness of this weapon’s design. It was made for the military, to allow members of the armed forces to better dispatch multiple enemies in short order; in the hands of civilians, it not only clearly serves the same purpose for some individuals, but it’s unclear what other purpose it could serve, given how and why it was made.

Given that, there is no reason that these weapons should be broadly available to the civilian population. But, given that they are, let’s all understand how they are designed to kill people, not simply to shoot targets for fun.

The effectiveness of these weapons comes, first and foremost, from their ability to deliver relatively small sized, high velocity bullets in rapid sequence into a body, inflicting lethal damage.

The killing potential of a gun is primarily based on the amount of energy imparted by the bullet when it strikes the body. The bullet’s kinetic energy is equal to half of the bullet weight multiplied by the speed of the bullet when fired, squared — in other words, the velocity that a gun can impart on a bullet is the dominant factor in determining its killing potential.

The 9mm handgun is generally regarded as an effective weapon; its bullet travels at 1,200 feet per second and delivers a kinetic energy of 400 foot pounds. By comparison, the standard AR-15 bullet travels at 3,251 feet per second and delivers 1300 foot pounds.

Tissue destruction of the AR-15 is further enhanced by cavitation, which is the destruction of tissue beyond the direct pathway of the bullet; this occurs with high velocity bullets because their kinetic energies are over 2,500 foot pounds

We’re not likely to be able to institutionalize every person who might be willing to commit a heinous crime, but we can take away their access to the most lethal weapon for doing so with a stroke of a pen.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/parkland-shooter-s-ar-15-was-designed-kill-efficiently-possible-ncna848346

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Satchel said:

There’s just not a reason a weapon that can do this kind of damage should be available to anybody outside of the military:

An assault rifle is designed to deliver fatal wounds to multiple individuals within a short time period; it has no other purpose. The AR-15, the civilian version of the military assault rifle (M16 or M4), has become the most commonly used rifle in US mass shootings; the recent shootings in Parkland and Las Vegas, for instance, testify to the effectiveness of this weapon’s design. It was made for the military, to allow members of the armed forces to better dispatch multiple enemies in short order; in the hands of civilians, it not only clearly serves the same purpose for some individuals, but it’s unclear what other purpose it could serve, given how and why it was made.

Given that, there is no reason that these weapons should be broadly available to the civilian population. But, given that they are, let’s all understand how they are designed to kill people, not simply to shoot targets for fun.

The effectiveness of these weapons comes, first and foremost, from their ability to deliver relatively small sized, high velocity bullets in rapid sequence into a body, inflicting lethal damage.

The killing potential of a gun is primarily based on the amount of energy imparted by the bullet when it strikes the body. The bullet’s kinetic energy is equal to half of the bullet weight multiplied by the speed of the bullet when fired, squared — in other words, the velocity that a gun can impart on a bullet is the dominant factor in determining its killing potential.

The 9mm handgun is generally regarded as an effective weapon; its bullet travels at 1,200 feet per second and delivers a kinetic energy of 400 foot pounds. By comparison, the standard AR-15 bullet travels at 3,251 feet per second and delivers 1300 foot pounds.

Tissue destruction of the AR-15 is further enhanced by cavitation, which is the destruction of tissue beyond the direct pathway of the bullet; this occurs with high velocity bullets because their kinetic energies are over 2,500 foot pounds

We’re not likely to be able to institutionalize every person who might be willing to commit a heinous crime, but we can take away their access to the most lethal weapon for doing so with a stroke of a pen.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/parkland-shooter-s-ar-15-was-designed-kill-efficiently-possible-ncna848346

How would you define an assault rifle?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 22

3 hours ago, tigol said:

Why are we all so fucking blind?  I'm with you.  We've made the point before, but not in such a compelling way.  The logic pretzel is absolutely infuriating.

Well, damnit. Since it’s the weekend and you asked for it.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread