Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

That doesn't sound like anyone is shooting.  It sounds like fireworks.

Too soon to know anything at this point.

Local news:

Police Respond to Reports of Officers Shot Near Parkway Concert

Police were responding to reports of two fellow officers reportedly being shot near the Benjamin Franklin Parkway as thousands of people celebrated a 4th of July concert and fireworks show.

The gunfire broke out near the Philadelphia Museum of Art on the final day of Wawa Welcome America as throngs of people watched a fireworks show following a concert headlined by Jason Derulo on the parkway, police said.

Various people could be seen running from the area. Police instructed people in surrounding buildings to shelter in place.

“I didn’t hear the shots, but the cops were like, ‘Run, run, run,’” one woman told NBC10.

NBC10 had various reporters in the area covering the festival. NBC10 reporter Tim Furlong said he saw a "wave of people" running from near Eakins Oval down the parkway. Several children were crying during what were moments of confusion from the crowd and police officers at the scene, Furlong said.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

I think it’s important to point out the difference between a .308 vs a 5.56 cartridge when discussing this shooting. A .308 round isn’t going to have the same velocity (depending on barrel length and gunpowder composition) as a smaller caliber bullet like a .221 or even a .222 double jacketed hollow point. On the other hand, the 5.56 is going to have greater stopping power depending on the coriolis effect, more like a 3.141592 shell. One thing is for sure, these distinctions are extremely important. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

You are so full of shit.  You are discounting the reasons AR-15 are chosen for the job -- high fire rate, high velocity, tremendous tissue damage.

FUCK.  YOU.

And you are ignoring the AR is a rifle platform, not a magic bullet. There’s 15 different chamberings for the AR15. Guess what, they all cause different amounts of damage, because, as I stated, physics.  They all have high rates of fire and low recoil.  Hint, I can provide you with a half dozen that gave higher velocity and more tissue damage than your off the shelf .556 offerings.  But hrrr drrr AR15 it is, I guess. 

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all don’t be too hard on gsoda, he is a biblical literalist. He likely believes the earth is only 6,000 old and dinosaur fossils were put in the ground by Satan.

image.png.c4dc8073930fe26dcf80b3b9e93af8a2.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Symbol 

All these white supremacist groups around the world are interconnected now days. Thanks internet. American, European, South African, Russian, Australian - it does not matter where. They share the same symbols. The confederate flag is a symbol used in places outside of America just like Nazi and other symbols have been imported and used by American white power groups. The Russian Wagner group has it on their uniforms along with a some Nazi stuff as well.  They really love lost cause imagery, like the confederate flag, since a big part of it is the idea that whites are being pushed out of power, out bred, and are fighting a losing battle against non-whites, but must keep fighting any way.

This is a good article by Time about the Wagner group and how these groups are intertwined now days.

3 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Putin isn't even marching over Ukraine. He's not going to march over Europe.

You are probably right but the Soviet tanks are slowly rolling west.  Putin has already proven he can do plenty of damage without bullets. Shit still sucks. Maybe Trump will fix everything in a few years when he’s un-democratically elected President again (pours gasoline all over body, lights match).

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

You are so full of shit.  You are discounting the reasons AR-15 are chosen for the job -- high fire rate, high velocity, tremendous tissue damage.

It's chosen for this "job" for all the same reasons it's popular for sport, hunting, and self defense. Any semi firearm produced in the last century can match the ar15 fire rate. 

It's popular because it's easy for anyone to use due to the relatively low power round/recoil, its accuracy to 200+ yards because rifle, and the ammo is cheap because it's what the military has been using.

That's about to change, to a much higher velo, larger round (5.56 vs 6.8 SPC attached). Eventually the US military's new rifle will replace the 223/556 AR15 in most gun safes and this all just gets worse.

Capture+_2022-07-04-22-45-56.png

How many of you think about a shooting before going to the movies, a concert or other crowded place? We actually do, we often opt out too, unless we really want to go, we tend to say nah fuck it. Part of that is age, part of it though is just being tired of these shootings. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, troph said:

How many of you think about a shooting before going to the movies, a concert or other crowded place? We actually do, we often opt out too, unless we really want to go, we tend to say nah fuck it. Part of that is age, part of it though is just being tired of these shootings. 

I mean I guess I get the fear.  We need gun control but you’re letting them win.  How often do you decide not to get in a car?  That’s a fuckload more dangerous.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

In Central America during the Civil Wars we called the 5.56 a meat eater. Hits a bone and tears up soft tissue. Mean fucking round. AK/.308 (FAL or G3) would break the bone and keep going. 

But carry on. 

Damn.cant imagine what you want through. Was that because the other rounds were often FMJ? 

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I mean I guess I get the fear.  We need gun control but you’re letting them win.  How often do you decide not to get in a car?  That’s a fuckload more dangerous.  

Well we don’t cower in fear. But it does come up, and I always check my exits and escape routes. We were at a movie a few months back, the movie was interrupted with a fire alarm. Everyone was looking around doing nothing. I looked at the doors, didn’t see anything disturbing in our theatre that we needed to avoid immediately but had no idea what else might be going on so I grabbed her hand and we darted out the emergency exit. Turned out it was a fire in the kitchen with some popcorn. I thought either a fire or oh shit. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, troph said:

I think about it at the gym a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

People only carried FMJ or Tracers. We were not that fancy. Now you look at what you can buy at a cabellas and damn. My ex- Brother in law is a gun nut. He had so many rounds of different focus he could not keep track of them. 

My family has always had weapons. I have what I need to guard my house. Its a fucking shotgun. 20 G. And this is the son of one of our nation's leading developers of ammo for SOCCOM. Yeah, dad also guards his house with a shotgun. Pistols, rifles, carbines are all locked up. 

Concerning heavy weapons. We use them in my job when I go overseas. I have just seen the carnage. 

I would not hunt with an AR. I would not own an AR in the US. I have carried them. Mean round man. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You just feel that way because someone jacked your Bentley.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, B00M said:

It's chosen for this "job" for all the same reasons it's popular for sport, hunting, and self defense. Any semi firearm produced in the last century can match the ar15 fire rate. 

It's popular because it's easy for anyone to use due to the relatively low power round/recoil, its accuracy to 200+ yards because rifle, and the ammo is cheap because it's what the military has been using.

That's about to change, to a much higher velo, larger round (5.56 vs 6.8 SPC attached). Eventually the US military's new rifle will replace the 223/556 AR15 in most gun safes and this all just gets worse.

So your argument is that it's the best tool for the job, but soon it won't be?

Ace reasoning, there.  IT KILLS A SHIT TON OF PEOPLE BETTER THAN ANY OTHER AVAILABLE GUN OUT THERE.

God damn.

26 minutes ago, tchookem said:

All this talk about why the AR15... it's all bullshit. I guarantee if it didn't look like a military weapon it wouldn't sell nearly as well. They buy it because it looks badass and they feel badass when they use it.

They've built an identity around this weapon.

You are 100% wrong.

A .223 rifle was the first center-fire gun I bought for and trained my son on at around age 10.  That gun was just a low-recoil gun for him to learn proper gun handling and for target practice.  We didn't use it for hunting as that is not an effective round for a single shot on a deer.

Once he got good at handling and shooting, I got him a .243 for his first deer rifle.  He and I have used it many times for that purpose over the years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, tchookem said:
2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:
You are 100% wrong.

You don't think a lot of the appeal is how it looks?

I think the vast majority of the appeal is the mascerated unidentifiable human tissue left after people get shot, but maybe that's just me.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think the vast majority of the appeal is the mascerated unidentifiable human tissue left after people get shot, but maybe that's just me.

No, there’s plenty if people that buy an AR the same reason they live in the burbs and buy an HD pickup, bro culture is serious bidness. The vast majority of gun owners don’t remotely understand what their weapons actually do to human tissue, which is part of the problem. Anyone that buys an AR15 for home defense isn’t a serious person.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I will say this for the 100th time. There is no purpose or use of an AR/AK/SKS in the US other that the purpose the gun was intended to fill, to kill people.  Anyone who says differently is a fucking liar.

I guess in good news for the police endlessly pumping rounds into unarmed black men, is that there are now enough mass shootings by young angry white men to actually help distract from the police shooting.  So see... if you look hard enough there is a "silver lining."🤮

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Or that trump flag could be some weird irony that is lost on anyone but these fucking idiots.  Nothing is known at this point.

Suddenly there's a lot of Cousin Strawberry on this thread.  Trying to figure out where's he's going.  He outs himself.  Negged.  When I get a chance I'll review the page and act accordingly.