RGIII Uses Racial Slur Live On Air

Vic Mackey

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

that is the first shit I thought of

this is the scene when a friend of mine and I looked at each other and got up and walked out of the theater

it was "half price Thursday" at the dollar theater and we both felt we had been fucking ripped off

we made sure to choose movies more carefully after that when we were bored as shit

what a horribly shitty movie even for a spike lee "jam"

Something tells me you weren't the target audience.

• Haha 4

The county I grew up in literally had no black people at that time, and I was aware that it (jig) was a slur towards black people.

I didn't think of it as on the level of the N word, but more like referencing ghosts and raccoons as racial slurs.  But I'm a white guy who didn't really know a black person until I was 15 so.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Call me crazy but i think intent matters a great deal

So if I say the n word instead of trigger, bigger, chigger, etc it wouldn't matter? The word is the word no matter the context. RG3's explanation that he meant to say 'bug-a-boo' also doesn't fit in the context of what he was saying. He said this word instead.

43 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

It was a mistake.  Cancel culture sucks.

I don't think I've seen anyone furious over this and wants him off the air. More just people in jest saying 'if this was a white person then....' I created this thread for the laughs because it was pretty ridiculous and comical he used a deeply rooted slave term from way back then on live tv and floored many listening, including his co-hosts. 

He made a social media apology and we'll see if ESPN makes him apologize on air ala Lee Corso but this is kind of a non story, just a weird ass soundbite. From a very weird dude.,

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i have never heard that term before.  how bad is it?

It's not good. My grandfather used to say it all the time. It's probably just below the n-word and right in there with another slang word for black people that starts with a C.

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Don Imus said it in reference to this movie in his stuff about the Rutgers women's basketball team that got him fired. It's been out there.

Don was fired after calling the Rutgers women's basketball team "nappy-headed hoes."

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I just wish it had been Marc Jones who said it.

True that.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

So if I say the n word instead of trigger, bigger, chigger, etc it wouldn't matter? The word is the word no matter the context. RG3's explanation that he meant to say 'bug-a-boo' also doesn't fit in the context of what he was saying. He said this word instead.

A persons character — the body of their historical conduct — and what can reasonably be inferred as their intent (did they aim to demean or harm?) matters a great deal more than a single flub 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

A persons character — the body of their historical conduct — and what can reasonably be inferred as their intent (did they aim to demean or harm?) matters a great deal more than a single flub 

The clip seems pretty harmless to me. I don't think he was even really referring to persons who were all black.

He should apologize for using an offensive word that both he and his employers do not condone. My mind could be changed by general outrage from the black community; they're better and more appropriate judges than me. I'll go with their opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

People don’t watch Police Academy any more?  I think I saw it’s on Netflix. 

isn’t that what he calls hooks for running over his foot in the cruiser?

Yup- captain Mowser (sp?) call Hooks a “dumb fat j-“ in Police Academy. Really the only time I’ve heard the word used.

RG3 was talking so fast trying to get his point across that I think his mouth started moving faster than his brain. I buy his explanation that he was going “bugaboos” but it was because he was talking to fast to come up with a better word like haters or doubters.

Just now, Ignatius said:

van halen GIF 

Man, I guess it was a West Texas thing but I’m 56 and the (unfortunately numerous) racist branches of my family tree used that word (usually in abbreviated form) frequently. It was one of several phrases people used in place of the hard N because good Baptists aren’t hateful….

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

When has that mattered to cancel culture?

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

That term is a racist term whether you have heard it or not. Being oblivious to a racist term doesn't make any difference. It's been phased out in most vocabs but the meaning didn't go away. I honestly didn't know there was that many people who didn't know about this word. It went viral as soon as he said it. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jigga boo

I’m guessing there’s a lot of posters on here who have never heard the term….could be wrong…..haven’t heard it used/said in many moons!

After seeing this, I told my wife, Sapphire….holy mackerel!

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

please explain, in a way someone sober would understand, how these things are supposed to be comparable or analogous?

His cancel culture comment was in response to (my response was based on the ‘single flub’ part):

A persons character — the body of their historical conduct — and what can reasonably be inferred as their intent (did they aim to demean or harm?) matters a great deal more than a single flub 

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Bug vs jig. I have never said jig in place of bug. If he said 'Jugaboo' then maybe. But bug and jig don't sound that much alike to have one slip for the other. This word is in his vocabulary. Bug A Boo is also a word no one uses. I don't really buy his reasoning.

But either way, he said the word on live tv. 

Boo vs boo. 

What law are you positing that would require mistakenly used words to begin the same, rather than end the same, rhyme, or whatever other pattern that might cause the brain to pull up one rather than another while speaking extemporaneously?

5 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

His cancel culture comment was in response to (my response was based on the ‘single flub’ part):

A persons character — the body of their historical conduct — and what can reasonably be inferred as their intent (did they aim to demean or harm?) matters a great deal more than a single flub 

I dont think Chris Beard had the intent of giving someone a warm hug, during which his hands accidentally slipped and fell around their neck instead  

I could be wrong - i didnt follow bball that closely. 

20 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Man, I guess it was a West Texas thing but I’m 56 and the (unfortunately numerous) racist branches of my family tree used that word (usually in abbreviated form) frequently. It was one of several phrases people used in place of the hard N because good Baptists aren’t hateful….

When I was a kid and watched the cowboys games with my drunk uncle, he called the players every slur in the book. 

59 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

We might be related. Sorry.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm kinda surprised you guys hate RGIII as a media personality.  During the ISU/Texas game he acted like he'd been a lifelong Horn just reveling in the greatness and prestige of your various traditions.  I get that what's guys doing his job do, but given the disdain between UT and BU it was jarring.

If I were a Baylor fan/alum (barf) I'd have been apoplectic.

image.gif.ab823213bd57e5dce3b26cc45e5892c6.gif

Edited by taybo20

I'm a mid-50 white guy that works in the technology field, and I have _never_ heard that word used in person or seen it in print.  I did, back in the day, see Police Academy, so I as the clip above proves, I have heard that word before.   I'm sure I assumed that they made up a word to use in place of the N word. 

There are probably dozens (hundreds) of old words-of-hate sitting out there... It's not a bad thing that people don't know them anymore.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef