Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

21 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Natural reaction to a rapidly devaluating currency is to spend it-- all of it-- the minute you get it. And already have a plan in mind to spend the next batch as soon as you get it. Source: every country that ever had an aluminum coin worth 1,000 whatevers.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That is not what Mearsheimer is saying. He has pointed out that this war has been brewing for eight years, we've egged Ukraine on all along with false promises, Ukraine has acted recklessly in aggravating the gorilla next door...His contention is there was a time when Ukraine could have accepted its place in the world as a buffer state and it would not have been that bad. At the heart of all of this thought is Thucydides: Strong nations do what they will, weak nations suffer what they must. Ukraine is a relatively weak nation but one of their bargaining chips is neutrality. Instead of using it they listened to America's crack foreign policy team (almost all of y'all agree about our other recent disasters -- why is this different?) and now we are teetering on the brink of nuclear holocaust over a country of no strategic import to us.

Great job everybody well done.

He also points out that is useful when thinking of global strategy to be able to put yourselves in the shoes of the enemy. When Khruschev tried to put missiles in Cuba, we almost went to nuclear war. Imagine if China or Russia brokered some deal to put their military on the ground in Mexico or Canada. That is what NATO Ukraine is to Russia. To us, Chinese Naval Station Veracruz; joint operating base Monterrey. 

We have a Monroe Doctrine. Russia has something similar and Ukraine is the centerpiece of it. 

Mearsheimer acknowledges that Putin is a thug who in his heart of hearts would love a "Greater Russia" or Soviet Union remix but he believes, as I do, that Putin is smart enough to know that he simply cannot pull that off. Not today, not tomorrow, not in any of our lifetimes. How the fuck is he going to manage Ukraine as a client state with his army in shambles and then launch fresh invasions on three Baltic states who hate him maybe even more than the proudest Ukrainians thereby triggering a NATO heymaker? 

It is just not possible. He doesn't have the juice. 

I don’t think a discussion of Thucydides is too political but I think it’s wishful thinking on Russia’s part to imagine itself as a strong nation who can do it will.  Nukes included, there are much stronger nations and the long arc of history does not suggest that significant even superior weaponry makes you somehow immune from catastrophic nation state collapses. 

I don't think Putin is going to back down. He is running the Hitler playbook to the letter. Stick your toe over the line and check for the global response. If none push forward. Rinse and repeat. He is also sprinkling in some of the Russian playbook of escalate to deescalate. If he uses nukes, and we allow him to get what he wants, he will start rolling over the other countries they have been eyeing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I don't think Putin is going to back down. He is running the Hitler playbook to the letter. Stick your toe over the line and check for the global response. If none push forward. Rinse and repeat. He is also sprinkling in some of the Russian playbook of escalate to deescalate. If he uses nukes, and we allow him to get what he wants, he will start rolling over the other countries they have been eyeing.

bro, this shit aint happening. they have lost more equipment in 3 weeks than most countries have in their entirety. You don't just get to nuke someone and then say LOL we nuked you now you belong to us. That's not how it works

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I would like to suggest that a separate sub-board be started for WWIII. That way we could have separate threads, instead of burying information in this thread. I hope that I'm wrong, but we could be heading that way. 
Threads on the sub board would include:
Invasion of Ukraine
Fundraising for humanitarian aid
How to build an effective nuclear bomb shelter
War crimes thread
Baltic states invasion
Battle of the Balkan - control of Bosphorus and Dardanelles Straits 
Space Wars

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I would like to suggest that a separate sub-board be started for WWIII. That way we could have separate threads, instead of burying information in this thread. I hope that I'm wrong, but we could be heading that way. 
Invasion of Ukraine
War crimes thread
Baltic states invasion
Space Wars

Will it be [serious]?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

bro, this shit aint happening. they have lost more equipment in 3 weeks than most countries have in their entirety. You don't just get to nuke someone and then say LOL we nuked you now you belong to us. That's not how it works

Nuke forces capitulation.

4 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Invasion of Ukraine
War crimes thread
Baltic states invasion
Space Wars

You forgot vacation spots to spend the nuclear winter.

Working from home during WWIII

Women of the Apocalypse

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Nuke forces capitulation.

it actually doesn't it just vaporizes things. Whatever is left is still left. They can eradicate someone, but nukes are extremely ineffective tools to use if you actually want to use the place after you are done.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Anyone with more than one kid recognizes this behavior of "Mommy/Daddy sister is bothering me, make her stop of I'm going to hit her"

Clapping Applause GIF

Bingo.

And Russia trying to get Ukraine to reduce its military as a part of the negotiation is not because Ukraine is a threat to Russia proper, but because a militarized Ukraine is a threat to Russia invading in the future.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Invasion of Ukraine
War crimes thread
Baltic states invasion
Space Wars

We also need a Nicole sub board with the topics:
101 ways to fawn over Zelenskyy
BF talk not going away
N00dz

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Invasion of Ukraine
War crimes thread
Baltic states invasion
Space Wars

38 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Also:

Are we foraging or looting?

How to make rabbit stew

How to identify friendly people in a post-apocalyptic world

Brisket's Guide to Leering at Older Women.

36 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You forgot vacation spots to spend the nuclear winter.

Working from home during WWIII

Women of the Apocalypse

6 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

We also need a Nicole sub board with the topics:
101 ways to fawn over Zelenskyy
BF talk not going away
N00dz

fuck-all-that.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, immamac said:

it actually doesn't it just vaporizes things. Whatever is left is still left. They can eradicate someone, but nukes are extremely ineffective tools to use if you actually want to use the place after you are done.

He doesn't want to use the place after done.  He's psycho ex boyfriend mode.

7 minutes ago, MFEU93MK9S8IW6K6FV0X said:

He doesn't want to use the place after done.  He's psycho ex boyfriend mode.

I saw a political cartoon to this effect earlier in this whole conflict, but it was essentially Putin to Ukraine "Marry me or I will kill you."  Seems to ring home.  

So riddle me this: with all these replacements and firings, how long before you get an enterprising mid level intelligence/police/state security officer in Moscow or Petersburg who looks around, knows a couple of local senior mobsters and says “All the soldiers who are worth a fuck are in Ukraine, everyone else is in the Urals, maybe we should run things?”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That is not what Mearsheimer is saying. He has pointed out that this war has been brewing for eight years, we've egged Ukraine on all along with false promises, Ukraine has acted recklessly in aggravating the gorilla next door...His contention is there was a time when Ukraine could have accepted its place in the world as a buffer state and it would not have been that bad. At the heart of all of this thought is Thucydides: Strong nations do what they will, weak nations suffer what they must. Ukraine is a relatively weak nation but one of their bargaining chips is neutrality. Instead of using it they listened to America's crack foreign policy team (almost all of y'all agree about our other recent disasters -- why is this different?) and now we are teetering on the brink of nuclear holocaust over a country of no strategic import to us.

He also points out that is useful when thinking of global strategy to be able to put yourselves in the shoes of the enemy. When Khruschev tried to put missiles in Cuba, we almost went to nuclear war. Imagine if China or Russia brokered some deal to put their military on the ground in Mexico or Canada. That is what NATO Ukraine is to Russia. To us, Chinese Naval Station Veracruz; joint operating base Monterrey. 

We have a Monroe Doctrine. Russia has something similar and Ukraine is the centerpiece of it. 

Mearsheimer acknowledges that Putin is a thug who in his heart of hearts would love a "Greater Russia" or Soviet Union remix but he believes, as I do, that Putin is smart enough to know that he simply cannot pull that off. Not today, not tomorrow, not in any of our lifetimes. How the fuck is he going to manage Ukraine as a client state with his army in shambles and then launch fresh invasions on three Baltic states who hate him maybe even more than the proudest Ukrainians thereby triggering a NATO heymaker? 

The problem with Mearsheimer’s argument is it sounds so much like, “She should have known not to dress so provocatively while walking alone in that neighborhood. What did she expect to happen?”

When talking about crime, we understand that it’s a community responsibility to provide safety. In geopolitics, it’s the responsibility of the community of free states to support safety when we can, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

The uninformed me thinks both the Ukranian successes and Russian defeats may both be a bit exaggerated.  No way to really no on the Russian side.  BUT, if the Ukranians can hold off the Russian advance and keep resupply routes open, they can force Russia into a stalemate with no real victory anywhere to claim.  So playing it forward from there, any negotiated peace has to begin and end with Putin's removal.  There is no way Russia can return to the world diplomatic stage with him at the helm.  BUT, if the settlement ended with him being sent into exile in some palatial compound in Nork, where he gives Rocket Man a few billion for the privilege of living in is communist paradise, is the world OK that he doesn't face harsher consequences for this?  I think if it ends the suffering, and Ukraine doesn't capitulate on a single acre of land, that you take that and the world tries to move forward.  

Now as for Ukranian reconstruction?  A BIG issue to tackle.

Sure.  Once he's out of power, he can be eliminated later.

23 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

And this blows up any legitimate argument he has. All sovereign nations have the right to control their own destiny. They looked across their eastern border and decided they didn't like how things were going. They decided they wanted to be more European than Russian. Ukrainian blood, and ONLY Ukrainian blood, ran in their streets to start that process in 2014. Then Russia removed all doubt by taking Crimea. If Ukraine wants to join the EU, that is their sovereign right to seek that membership. Same as NATO. The above quoted argument is the geopolitical equivalent of "this wouldn't have happened if she didn't dress that way." Bullshit.

This is correct, but that isn't how Russia views it. The question for me is what is an acceptable end game. Ukraine isn't going to capitulate and Russia is in no position to bargain. Sure, Putin could just give up and go home but no one realistically thinks that is going to happen. What does a realistic conclusion to the war look like? That is what we need to consider. For me it would be for Russia to keep Crimea and for Ukraine to postpone talks of NATO for 20 years and no joint training of Ukranian forces for 20 years. Putting pressure on Russia to rebuild Ukraine and try Russians for war crimes is a losing strategy for the West and for civilization. The only way that happens is if Russia is in ruins and Putin is dead. Anything short of that and it is guaranteed that Russia will fight back with everything in its arsenal.

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This is correct, but that isn't how Russia views it. The question for me is what is an acceptable end game. Ukraine isn't going to capitulate and Russia is in no position to bargain. Sure, Putin could just give up and go home but no one realistically thinks that is going to happen. What does a realistic conclusion to the war look like? That is what we need to consider. For me it would be for Russia to keep Crimea and for Ukraine to postpone talks of NATO for 20 years and no joint training of Ukranian forces for 20 years. Putting pressure on Russia to rebuild Ukraine and try Russians for war crimes is a losing strategy for the West and for civilization. The only way that happens is if Russia is in ruins and Putin is dead. Anything short of that and it is guaranteed that Russia will fight back with everything in its arsenal.

I mean they sent in a shitload of their arsenal to Ukraine and have done pretty fucking terribly. Are you talking about nukes? You think Russia is going to destroy earth because they can't have Ukraine? Are you smoking shit?

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Dude. Fuck off with this bullshit

• Hook 'Em 7

55 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

And this blows up any legitimate argument he has. All sovereign nations have the right to control their own destiny. They looked across their eastern border and decided they didn't like how things were going. They decided they wanted to be more European than Russian. Ukrainian blood, and ONLY Ukrainian blood, ran in their streets to start that process in 2014. Then Russia removed all doubt by taking Crimea. If Ukraine wants to join the EU, that is their sovereign right to seek that membership. Same as NATO. The above quoted argument is the geopolitical equivalent of "this wouldn't have happened if she didn't dress that way." Bullshit.

This is nice and all, but we are not in a community of nations; we have superpowers, fading powers, regional powers and the rest with each driven by national, not universal interests. Our forays in every corner of the globe should tell you that we don't see "sovereign nations have the right to control their own destiny", we see our interests above others. Didn't Kissinger say, "Oil is much too important a commodity to be left in the hands of the Arabs."?

Our support to Ukraine is primarily driven by our interests and secondarily by Ukraine's. Many other invasions and ethnic cleansings have happened without us jumping in to help.

Given this reality, Mearscheimer's comments are that Ukraine should have realized that they are being played and should have to played it more diplomatically.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean they sent in a shitload of their arsenal to Ukraine and have done pretty fucking terribly. Are you talking about nukes? You think Russia is going to destroy earth because they can't have Ukraine? Are you smoking shit?

I think what’s been talked about are low yield tactical nukes, not starting a world ending volley. Or even another wmd in their arsenal. But if they go that route, they either need to manufacture a reason they had to do it, or do it as a false flag that nobody believes but can’t be disproven.