What color shoes with blue suit for job interview?

Assman

Interwebz is telling me black shoes are the most conservative look with a blue suit for an interview, but I personally think this looks like shit. When choosing between brown or burgundy/oxblood, which is seen as more formal ?  I prefer burgundy but don't know if this is conservative enough for an interview. 

Suit is maybe a shade lighter than a traditional navy. 

Interview is for a major airline, where everyone on the panel will probably be over 45. 

I know black is the safe bet, but I'm wondering how out of place I'll look with brown or burgundy.  I like the look much better, and a part of me thinks I'm overthinking this and they won't give a fuck what color my shoes are.  So is brown/burgundy perfectly acceptable in a setting like this, or is it the equivalent of wearing a skinny tie?  These questions are coming from a guy that's worn a flight suit every day for the past 11 years and only wears suits to funerals or weddings.

Edited by Assman

1 minute ago, Assman said:

Suit is maybe a shade lighter than a traditional navy. 

Interview is for a major airline, where everyone on the panel will probably be over 45. 

I know black is the safe bet, but I'm wondering how out of place I'll look with brown or burgundy.  I like the look much better, and a part of me thinks I'm overthinking this and they won't give a fuck what color my shoes are.  So is brown/burgundy perfectly acceptable in a setting like this, or is it the equivalent of wearing a skinny tie?  These questions are coming from a guy that's worn a flight suit every day for the past 11 years and only wears suits to funerals or weddings.

With burgundy/cordovan, the only people who might judge you are sartorial nazis or prudes.  The former naval aviators will approve.

10 hours ago, Assman said:

Interwebz is telling me black shoes are the most conservative look with a blue suit for an interview, but I personally think this looks like shit. When choosing between brown or burgundy/oxblood, which is seen as more formal ?  I prefer burgundy but don't know if this is conservative enough for an interview. 

Black.

re blue suit and brown shoes, the darker the blue, the darker the brown shoes.

blue suit, saddle colored shoes.

dark navy suit, dark brown shoes.  this why burgundy goes well with dark navy suits.

i am also of the opinion of brown shoes during the day, black shoes at night.  this is especially true of formal and business events.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

You don't wear a suit. You show up in jeans, full quill ostrich luccheses, a nice shirt, and a sports coat. 

You then leave the interview with 51% equity in the company. 

Edited by housious
Nobody cares about your shoes. They all dread doing interviews and will forget about you 10 minutes after you leave.
  • Like 1

Shoes honestly are one of the best ways to tell men who know their shit about dressing well.  Oxblood is fine, but a matching belt is a necessity to me.  I always liked Oxblood the best with a blue suit, thankfully I don't wear a suit now except when people die, or get married...

The other thing that is interesting is when you see a great suit with shit shoes, ruins the whole illusion. 

Do you already have nice black shoes? If so I'd just wear them to be safe even if you don't think they look the best. I wouldn't go buy new ones though just for this.

I wear burgundy shoes regularly with navy that are dark enough that they look black in certain lighting. I also have dark brown that I'd have no issue wearing to an interview. I probably wouldn't wear my tan ones though.

You don't wear a suit. You show up in jeans, full quill ostrich luccheses, a nice shirt, and a sports coat. 
You then leave the interview with 51% equity in the company. 

“You fellers have a coffee cup and a couple napkins? ...ah shit, don’t mind me I’ll just use this dead soldier for a spitter. *thunk-thunk thunk*”

Do it for Rex!

This thread reminds me of why I follow a road warrior business dress code.  No need to overthink silly stuff like "what color ____ will I wear today."

Navy blue or gray suits.  Solid white or blue shirts.  Reddish ties (when I wear a tie, rarely lately).  Black lace-up shoes.  Black belt.  Not flashy, but uncomplicated and I'm pretty sure that my attire has never been an issue in a business setting.

Black, assuming it's a dark blue or navy suit.  You mentioned lighter blue in which case, dark cordovan (referring to oxblood color... not necessarily cordovan leather if you don't already own them) would likely be more appropriate depending on how light the blue is; you could also hip it up a little and do a chocolate/tobacco color in pebbled or suede leather.  The tan shoes look with blue isn't really appropriate unless it's a cotton, lighter color, more casual suit and even then I'd only do that if you have tan suede.... and none of that is relevant to your question anyway.

All that said, I wouldn't recommend wearing a lighter blue suit in the first place to an interview with the audience you described. 

On 2/13/2019 at 8:03 AM, Assman said:

Years ago I had an old, in upper management, once comment on a pair of shoes i wore.  No laces.  He commented that it says something about a person who doesn't tie his shoes.  So many responses ran thru my mind.  I bit my tongue.  Some antiquated old fucks out there.