2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

Just left a small Brazilian church service in Queens. It’s amazing to me how kind and resilient the pastor of that church is. Even though we all despise who and what Trump represents he still prayed for him as well as Biden. I can admit I cannot bring myself to say a prayer for Trump. That is on me, but pastors like that man and the woman who is the pastor of my church in The Bronx that also prays for him despite her dislike of who he is shows a level of forgiveness I hope to reach one day. That day is not today though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Why did it die? It seems like it was a thing on the coasts and academia but never really got traction.

Ultimately, the thing that seems to tie people of latin descent together is increasingly the language, hence "Hispanic" (meaning literally "One who speaks spanish") not so much a cultural or geological gathering, precisely because it's a blanket designation that ties together lots of people of disjointed backgrounds. Chicano really only spoke to a small subset of spanish speakers who get lumped together in the US.

With that in mind, re: cultural identification focusing a spotlight on the language, it should be clear why "Latinx" gets heavy pushback. It's changing what many people consider the hallmark of their identity, in a way that goes against their cultural roots.

Also, chicano was a socio-political movement, like the black panthers. It was naturally divisive to begin with.

Edited by BigXII
  • Hook 'Em 2

All part of the amazing plan of defrauding. Red herrings all over the place. 

It’s the same backwards logic they use to justify their 2016 “Obama and Hillary were behind the Russia stuff to make Trump look bad” conspiracy.

Like, if they were that powerful and crooked and devious wouldn’t they use their resources to, I don’t know, win instead of making someone “look bad”?

It’s all so dumb.
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.axios.com/trump-legal-strategy-fraud-45ab43eb-c5bd-4710-a227-0dceacebb511.html

President Trump plans to brandish obituaries of people who supposedly voted but are dead — plus hold campaign-style rallies — in an effort to prolong his fight against apparent insurmountable election results, four Trump advisers told me during a conference call this afternoon.

What we're hearing: Obits for those who cast ballots are part of the "specific pieces of evidence" aimed at bolstering the Trump team's so-far unsupported claims of widespread voter fraud and corruption that they say led to Joe Biden’s victory.

Fueling the effort is the expected completion of vote counting this week, allowing Republicans to file for more recounts.

Team Trump is ready to announce specific recount teams in key states, and it plans to hold a series of Trump rallies focused on the litigation.

In Georgia: Doug Collins, the outgoing congressman who lost to Sen. Kelly Loeffler in a special election to fill former Sen. Johnny Isakson's seat, will be leading the campaign's recount efforts. The team has also redeployed 92 staffers from Florida to Georgia, doubling its group on the ground.

In Arizona: Kory Langhofer, former counsel for Trump's 2016 transition, will serve as lead attorney.

In Pennsylvania: Porter Wright's Ron Hicks is heading up the legal effort.

Nationwide: They're assembling additional surrogates and lawyers.

"We want to make sure we have an adequate supply of manpower on the ground for man-to-man combat," one adviser said.

The group is also staffing a campaign-style media operation.

The team led by Trump communications director Tim Murtaugh is now a surrogate messaging center. It will pump out "regular press briefings, releases on legal action and obviously things like talking points and booking people strategically on television," one adviser said.

They'll also make a big play to raise money for their legal defense fund.

Trump's formal legal team includes 2020 campaign manager Bill Stepien, lawyer Justin Clark, and senior advisers Jason Miller and David Bossie.

Reps. Jim Jordan and Scott Perry, as well as former White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, are also heavily involved.

Trump's team claims there is "no daylight" between them and the White House — chiefly senior adviser Jared Kushner and current Chief of Staff Mark Meadows.

"We all have the same goal in mind, which is using the legal process over the next many days and weeks ahead to make sure that the president is re-elected," one adviser said.

https://www.axios.com/trump-defeat-inner-circle-3ed6ab0f-677d-4dce-a2d0-e348e38b74c9.html

Apart from a few die-hards, most people close to President Trump know the race is over — but no one wants to be the sacrificial lamb who tells him to concede, people familiar with their thinking tell me. 

Why it matters: Trump's long-shot legal war, aimed at preventing him from being the first one-term president in 28 years, is being enabled by active supporters — and a lot of passive appeasement.

What we're hearing: Top Trump advisers sat the president down at the White House on Saturday and walked him through the "options for success," a campaign official tells me.

The official added that they made clear to Trump the likely outcome of waging these legal battles, but he was firm that he wants to forge ahead anyway.

One source who recently spoke to the president tells Axios' Jonathan Swan that even Trump has discussed the possibility of not winning. He has accepted that losing may be an outcome but insists on pursuing what he claims is mass fraud.

Several of his close advisers, including social media guru Dan Scavino and personnel director Johnny McEntee, are egging him on.

But people one rung out have privately accepted reality. They know the court cases are dead ends, and some are already putting out job feelers.

Chris Liddell, Trump's deputy chief of staff for policy coordination, has been working on transition preparations for the past several weeks, but "everything is frozen right now, they’re not doing anything," a source familiar with his work says.

Typically at this point, Liddell should be figuring out what priorities they can push through before Jan. 20 and working with the Justice Department to review security clearances for Biden officials.

While the Biden campaign has posted its own transition page, Emily Murphy, administrator of the General Services Administration, has yet to declare when Biden's official transition begins.

Neither may happen until the White House gets on board with the outcome.

One White House official described a scene of chaos and frustration among staff, particularly younger, lower-level aides anxious about finding new jobs. 

"Senior staff can afford to drag it out, but mid to lower ... need paychecks and don't want to get left behind," the official said.

The challenge, the official added, is sending out resumes when "we are technically supposed to believe we can win."

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany says, "Having spoken with many younger West Wing staffers, I can tell you that the team fully supports President Trump and the movement behind him."

One adviser who attended Trump's election night party at the White House tells me the president had "whiplash" watching his lead diminish over the ensuing days.

"He went to bed thinking he won. We all felt good," the Trump adviser said. "That's why we collectively are still confounded. But there's only so much you can do now once a big part of the country has decided to move on." 

Eh, that guy said he doesn't make calls.  And his rationale was speculative.
Only Fox and AP have maintained their AZ calls.  I think the others will call it after another drop from Maricopa like this one. Trump needs 60% of the remaining votes, which is still unlikely.

At this point, AZ and GA are both over. Probably won’t be called bc of potential recounts or what have you, and there’s just not as much urgency with PA and NV off the board. But they’re over.

Biden will win 306-232, which is an exact flip of what 2016 would’ve been sans faithless electors. Of course we have no idea how that’ll play out this year either, but still poetic.

23 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Eh, that guy said he doesn't make calls.  And his rationale was speculative.

Only Fox and AP have maintained their AZ calls.  I think the others will call it after another drop from Maricopa like this one. Trump needs 60% of the remaining votes, which is still unlikely.

Fox News data guys really let their nuts hang on this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BigXII said:

Ultimately, the thing that seems to tie people of latin descent together is increasingly the language, hence "Hispanic" (meaning literally "One who speaks spanish") not so much a cultural or geological gathering, precisely because it's a blanket designation that ties together lots of people of disjointed backgrounds. Chicano really only spoke to a small subset of spanish speakers who get lumped together in the US.

Also, chicano was a socio-political movement, like the black panthers. It was naturally divisive to begin with.

That's the impression that I had of it. It was a political effort to...do what I'm not sure. If it was to establish a shared cultural identity it failed spectacularly. Even the shared language part has problems as you pointed out about the x syllables. 

I'm just sorting through the aftermath trying to figure out how to make the RGV more like Dallas or Houston, but I  suspect that I'm pissing in the wind. Perhaps it's not to be like either of them, but at least not vote against their own interests. 

Yeah, I'm a fucking dreamer.

Fat lotta luck I've had with my own demographic. 

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I have a Mexican guy who works for me that came over here when he was 14. He brought his wife and kid over later in his life the right way. He said it cost him $10k in legal fees to get her here legally. 

During this election we got on the subject of chicanos vs Mexicans and he informed me that chicanos(Americanized Mexicans for those who don’t know) don’t like Mexicans. He said that chicanos see themselves as better than Mexicans for whatever reason. Imo that explanation amongst some other reasoning he told me(I can’t remember because the first reason stuck out so much) is why I think I’m Texas at least the vote skews more republican for valley and other heavy Hispanic areas. 

Maybe @Brisketexan could chime in with his thoughts 

Whole lot of truth there.  I know a lot of Mexican Americans and they do not have a favorable opinion of for lack of a better term illegals.  But.  Up until now they all voted Democrat 

39 minutes ago, BigXII said:

The primary reason this doesn't work, and something even many spanish speakers in the US don't get, is that there are dialects of spanish where "Latinx" is literally unpronounceable. There are places where "X" is pronounced like "Ch" or "h" and not like "ks" like white people in america pronounce it, for example. When you brings this up, the response is to "just pronounce it like latin-equis." X isn't always pronounced "equis" in spanish speaking countries, that's a very anglo pronounciation. Typically, the more southern or native american a spanish speaking culture is, the less likely "X" will be pronounced the way white people do.

And they don't seem to get how that is cultural imperialism. How insulting is it to have people, not from your home town, telling you to change the pronunciation of the term for yourself, and in order to make it work, for that one word, pronounce the phonemes like an entirely different culture pronounces them. It's double insulting, in a way that deeply reveals some bubbles people live in. Like, people flat out don't get it.

A comparison I made, say for some reason there was a push to rename "Seattle" to "Xiattle." Just pronounce "Xi" like they do in some asian countries, and not as it's often pronounced in english, and it makes sense.

Why do you assume white non-hispanic Americans invented the term Latinx?  They didn't. 

I do agree its a bad term though.  The masculine form is also used for mixed plural and for generic/unknown individuals for every other animal.  If there is a bone to pick, its with the entire Spanish language.  If we're speaking English, we could also use the generic term Latin instead.  In English, the simplest solution would have been to remove gender from the noun entirely instead of creating a genderless gendered ending in a language that doesn't attach gender to nouns.

However, if someone wants me to call them Latinx, then I will call them Latinx.  This is what gender choice is really about. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

Fox News data guys really let their nuts hang on this. 

Not gonna give fox too much credit. They probably assumed the mail in votes would be overwhelming for Biden like the other states instead of understanding the extra dynamics in play there. 

Just now, TXSG8R said:

Not gonna give fox too much credit. They probably assumed the mail in votes would be overwhelming for Biden like the other states instead of understanding the extra dynamics in play there. 

Outside of the prime time block of Fox News blow hards they were very good this election as far as coverage. 

Whole lot of truth there.  I know a lot of Mexican Americans and they do not have a favorable opinion of for lack of a better term illegals.  But.  Up until now they all voted Democrat 

I mean, the RGV still voted Democratic. Trump team just found a lot of low propensity voters to get out. Latinos in DFW, Houston, CenTex, etc. vote Democratic overwhelmingly.

At the end of the day, it isn’t Latinos keeping Texas red. For that, look toward the whites.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Outside of the prime time block of Fox News blow hards they were very good this election as far as coverage. 

Yes - the few times I've watched it post-election I've been pleasantly surprised at how hard the news shows have pushed back against the Trump admin 'voter fraud' bullshit.  They were having none of it and were making sure to repeat over and over that the Trump team has provided no evidence and that all of their lawsuits have been thrown out of court. 

I just wonder how many more Trump votes some of you could have garnered for Trump had you just tried a little bit harder?  Were you really in service to the nation as you let your leader down?

-You could have prayed the shit out of that prayer for Trump just a little bit more.

-You could have put one more sticker or flag on your boat or truck.

-You could have owned one more gun or closed one more CNN tab on your computer or turned off one more NFL game with kneeling players.  

You had so many chances to do so much more for America, but you failed.  Instead of yelling at the rest of us, you just voted, went home, and stayed silent.  Trump needed you and you barely helped him out during Grace.  

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

What, Bealls is still in business? 

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

My first thought as well.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Many of them just closed out through the summer.  If not, I bet they wish they were now...

Last one I went to was in Alpine, Texas.   Wonder if it closed, since it was like the only family clothing store in town.  Unless Dollar General has a clothing section.

23 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Just left a small Brazilian church service in Queens. It’s amazing to me how kind and resilient the pastor of that church is. Even though we all despise who and what Trump represents he still prayed for him as well as Biden. I can admit I cannot bring myself to say a prayer for Trump. That is on me, but pastors like that man and the woman who is the pastor of my church in The Bronx that also prays for him despite her dislike of who he is shows a level of forgiveness I hope to reach one day. That day is not today though.

My grandfather asked for a prayer for Obama, and a guy in one of the pews laughed at the thought of it, but everyone else was not having it. I don't see why you can't pray that a man you disagree/dislike to do right thing. 

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

My grandfather asked for a prayer for Obama, and a guy in one of the pews laughed at the thought of it, but everyone else was not having it. I don't see why you can't pray that a man you disagree/dislike to do right thing. 

I pray for the President every day. Today I got to pray for him and for the President-elect. Feels good man. 

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Why do you assume white non-hispanic Americans invented the term Latinx?  They didn't.

I didn't. I assume AMERICAN hispanics invented the term, because they evidently can't speak anything besides american spanish. Question though: Why did you assume I meant "white non-hispanics" when I explicitly said quote:

many spanish speakers in the US

This is precisely why the arguments for "latinx" are so dumb. Because anytime you present a real issue of cultural imperialism, you get jackasses like yourself trying to push this as some sort of racial issue. Get fucked loser. You know exactly what you're doing.

Spanish is not a homogenized language. Latinx is gibberish in much of spanish, unless your concept of "spanish" is limited to suburban areas in America.

However, if someone wants me to call them Latinx, then I will call them Latinx.  This is what gender choice is really about. 

"Latin" (pronounced "lateen") is already gender neutral and doesn't violate the rules of the language in any parts of the world. "Latinx" is american gibberish.

Edited by BigXII
  • Like 1

Jawja Judge, absolutely no evidence of fraud.

https://lawandcrime.com/awkward/georgia-judge-throws-out-trump-campaign-lawsuit-that-produced-exactly-zero-evidence-of-fraud/

Before the Court is a Petition to Command Enforcement of Election Laws which was filed by the Georgia Republican Party and Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. The matter was heard via Webex on November 5, 2020. Having read and considered said petition, all argument and evidence of record, including the evidence presented at the hearing, and the applicable law, the Court finds that there is no evidence that the ballots referenced in the petition were received after 7:00 p.m. on election day, thereby making those ballots invalid. Additionally, there is no evidence that the Chatham County Board of Elections or the Chatham County Board of Registrars has failed to comply with the law.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Jawja Judge, absolutely no evidence of fraud.

https://lawandcrime.com/awkward/georgia-judge-throws-out-trump-campaign-lawsuit-that-produced-exactly-zero-evidence-of-fraud/

Before the Court is a Petition to Command Enforcement of Election Laws which was filed by the Georgia Republican Party and Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. The matter was heard via Webex on November 5, 2020. Having read and considered said petition, all argument and evidence of record, including the evidence presented at the hearing, and the applicable law, the Court finds that there is no evidence that the ballots referenced in the petition were received after 7:00 p.m. on election day, thereby making those ballots invalid. Additionally, there is no evidence that the Chatham County Board of Elections or the Chatham County Board of Registrars has failed to comply with the law.

it's still hilarious to me that trump expects anyone in any state in the country to lie for him, just because they have an (r) next to their name.  they could have decades of public service under their belt, but he totally assumes/demands that these people come forward to basically admit ineptitude when the stakes are at their absolute highest.  one-sided loyalty at that.

The primary reason this doesn't work, and something even many spanish speakers in the US don't get, is that there are dialects of spanish where "Latinx" is literally unpronounceable. There are places where "X" is pronounced like "Ch" or "h" and not like "ks" like white people in america pronounce it, for example. When you brings this up, the response is to "just pronounce it like latin-equis." X isn't always pronounced "equis" in spanish speaking countries, that's a very anglo pronounciation. Typically, the more southern or native american a spanish speaking culture is, the less likely "X" will be pronounced the way white people do.
And they don't seem to get how that is cultural imperialism. How insulting is it to have people, not from your home town, telling you to change the pronunciation of the term for yourself, and in order to make it work, for that one word, pronounce the phonemes like an entirely different culture pronounces them. It's double insulting, in a way that deeply reveals some bubbles people live in. Like, people flat out don't get it.
A comparison I made, say for some reason there was a push to rename "Seattle" to "Xiattle." Just pronounce "Xi" like they do in some asian countries, and not as it's often pronounced in english, and it makes sense.

No need for all that. It’s just fucking dumb. Plain and simple. I identify as latino and find it asinine.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it's still hilarious to me that trump expects anyone in any state in the country to lie for him, just because they have an (r) next to their name.  they could have decades of public service under their belt, but he totally assumes/demands that these people come forward to basically admit ineptitude when the stakes are at their absolute highest.  one-sided loyalty at that.

I mean, he has 4 years of evidence showing that they'll store their balls in a personal safe, bend the knee, and abandon all dignity to stay on he and his base's good side. Doesn't work as well when the ship is sinking though.

Edited by aggie08

Any good info on the angle that 130,000 votes came in one night for Biden, with 0 (ZERO) for Trump?  All I can find is that some media outlet accidently added a zero to a Biden vote count, taking it from 15,XXX to 15X,XX0.  It was soon corrected.  Is that the whole of the "controversy"?

God damn Trump supporters are stupid.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any good info on the angle that 130,000 votes came in one night for Biden, with 0 (ZERO) for Trump?  All I can find is that some media outlet accidently added a zero to a Biden vote count, taking it from 15,XXX to 15X,XX0.  It was soon corrected.  Is that the whole of the "controversy"?

God damn Trump supporters are stupid.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/verify/verify-no-130000-biden-votes-not-dumped-michigan/507-d751e405-14c5-4bf1-8b61-eacce9f38409

I assume that's the same one you found?

Edited by aggie08

29 minutes ago, BigXII said:

I didn't. I assume AMERICAN hispanics invented the term, because they evidently can't speak anything besides american spanish.

The origins of the term are unclear. According to Google Trends, it was first seen online in 2004, and first appeared in academic literature "in a Puerto Rican psychological periodical to challenge the gender binaries encoded in the Spanish language."

If I'm only dealing with male and female latinos the phrase seems dumb.  Since it encompasses more than that, this Mexican American has no issue with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

No.  I wasn’t ralking about a country of their choosing.  I meant an island in the middle of fucking nowhere with no communication infrastructure, guarded by the military, no one enters or leaves.  Airdrop food and water once a month.

McDonald’s burger last a month, reportedly.