COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

13 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Wife has her smell and taste back already. My smell is starting to trickle back and I tasted about 75% of my coffee this morning. Kids seem to have skated by and they are unvaxxed due to age. We got it from a small, less than 15 person, family event where everyone was vaxxed, a couple boosted, a couple prior infected. The boosted people never had any symptoms, the prior infected plus Vax have coughs, but they also have been smoking for 3 decades, and those who were symptomatic were just vaxxed, not boosted.

I wanted to hold off on the booster until after the holidays because we had zero plans to be around random people and were only going to be around other vaxed people. I was going to get my booster literally this week, but Omicron didn't care. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that 1/4 of the entire nation is currently in some stage of COVID infection, be it incubation, active, or recovery in the final infectious hours/trace virus that would be detected. It is burning through every social circle in my family's life, right now.

I know it’s probably been asked and answered already, but for those of you who lost taste and smell, how much did that affect the burn you feel from spicy foods?   

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that 1/4 of the entire nation is currently in some stage of COVID infection, be it incubation, active, or recovery in the final infectious hours/trace virus that would be detected. It is burning through every social circle in my family's life, right now.

Yea.  I've read stuff that estimates during higher transmission winter months 10-12% of the US is infected with a common cold virus on any given day.  If you think about the novelty of this that is still there and couple that with the fact Omicron is an order of magnitude more transmissible than OG Covid, which had transmissibility estimates fairly in line with the common cold, it's easy to buy a quarter of folks with this on any given day.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t think that many people really care what their physician thinks unless the patient was already in agreement with the physician’s opinion or they had no opinion to start with. If you walked into a doctors office against the Covid vaccine, the doctor is not going to spend much time trying to convince you otherwise. They don’t want to talk you into a medical decision.

Is that how the conversation went with you and your doctor?

Question- the vaccinated that get breakthrough Covid and have it bad enough to go to the hospital (and I know that vaccinated are like five percent as likely to get it bad, should they even get it)- are they older and/or fatter? More likely to have co-morbidities? 
(Asking because I’m not young anymore)

Edited by statsman

39 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If I get COVID it will be directly traced back to the trip I just made to HEB.  What a total shit show that was. 

My mother cannot be vaccinated, and just yesterday my wife was able to get her set up on the heb app for curbside. Two damn years of in-person shopping for unvaxed, over 60, and high bmi.  Maddening that she wouldn’t bother taking some easy steps earlier. 

My daughter, no pics, is vaccinated and had covid in August. She has been feeling bad for almost 2 weeks, had covid symptoms. Did multiple covid rapid tests and a pcr in er, all negative. Her mom took her to er because she was feeling bad, fever and body aches, er found nothing wrong with her of course.. Did rapid today for a party tonight and postive....

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Question- the vaccinated that get breakthrough Covid and have it bad enough to go to the hospital (and I know that vaccinated are like five percent as likely to get it bad, should they even get it)- are they older and/or fatter? More likely to have co-morbidities? 
(Asking because I’m not young anymore)

And are they going to hospital "because" of covid or was it tested when they got there for another reason? 

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

And are they going to hospital "because" of covid or was it tested when they got there for another reason? 

The ones I’m taking to the hospital have mostly already been diagnosed 5-10 days prior and have been unable to beat it or it has gotten worse to the point that their oxygen saturation is in the 70’s (normal in healthy adults is 97-100)

30 minutes ago, Deej said:

Had exposure Sunday and Monday to two people who tested positive yesterday. CVS has an empty store in Pflugerville that is a testing center now. Grabbed an appointment yesterday for this morning. Negative...for now. 

I was at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston yesterday which happened to be free day. That a huge mistake and I've now been exposed to every disease from the 4 corners of the globe.

So are the boosters more or less holding up at preventing symptomatic infection from Omicron? There’s seems to be a lot of breakthrough cases amongst those who have gotten the first round of shots but not as many breakthrough infections in people who’ve received a booster. At least that’s what I’ve gathered from anecdotal evidence from here and other boards and social media I peruse.

Wife tested positive with symptoms yesterday. We've been tripled up since August. Youngest kid positive today, asymptomatic. Me and the other kids are so far negative. I've had my three shots once August also, the non-positive kids received their booster today. We'll see how long we last as negatives.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I wasn’t clear and that’s my fault. When I say promote, I mean really press the issue of being healthy. Give people discounts/tax credits for not being a drain on the healthcare system, not just for getting the shot. They were giving away prepaid credit cards in NYC and some other cities for being vax’d, why not reward people for losing weight or for checking in to the gym X amount of times in a set time period. I have a whole bunch of really silly ideas, so I’lll stop while I’m behind. 

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m 100% behind this. But I think we all know how it would be received, because such a program is not without recent precedent. 

It would be helpful if a prominent public official - or maybe even the wife of a prominent public official - devoted 8 years to promoting something like healthy school lunches. I bet we could all coalesce around something as common sense as that.

Edited by blacklab
user taking time off for cr
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, blacklab said:

There's a fat people thread around here somewhere if you want to talk about that and if you want to discuss what the government should or shouldn't do with regard to fatties there's a board for that

Life imitates art.

<trigger warning>

Spoiler

B5518A33-F9B9-4BC5-8531-3E8FC99EEE10.jpeg

147E327B-E785-451A-95C8-A77AC9C22F6D.jpeg

Edited by Harrison Bergeron
  • Haha 6
  • Fuck You 3

I felt a little funny Saturday (a bit achey and tired) but attributed it to yard work and my not being as active since my pooch passed.

Yesterday i felt tired, more achey, was coughing, and had a 101 low fever. Slept 11 hours, and fever is gone. Do not really ache as much now.

Anyone have just a 1 day temp covid experience?

18 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I felt a little funny Saturday (a bit achey and tired) but attributed it to yard work and my not being as active since my pooch passed.

Yesterday i felt tired, more achey, was coughing, and had a 101 low fever. Slept 11 hours, and fever is gone. Do not really ache as much now.

My experience late October/early November was pretty much this. I would not have even thought Covid because it came and went so quickly and I was vaxxed. I was set to return to work the next day when I lost taste and smell. Tested positive and quarantined with lack of taste and smell being only symptom I still had. I felt great otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

I never even had a temp. Highest it ever got was 99. My body went into overdrive and had palpitations for 4 days, though.

I was exposed to someone at work Tuesday who later tested positive. Also exposed to someone who just felt bad that day but didn't get tested.  I felt chills,  had night sweats, a bad headache amd overall malaise Thursday night. No fever. Friday afternoon and since  felt right as rain. No symptoms at all.  Tested negative Friday morning after my bad night and then negative again this morning with 2 rapid antigen tests. I took a pcr today as well and will know tomorrow if I had it I guess. Strange course for me. Literally 1 bad night and then nothing. I'm thinking I didn't have covid but it sure felt like I  got something. I never ever get sick and especially like that.

We are getting a ton of false negatives on the rapid antigen. Recommend PCR for confirmation of negative especially if exposed and symptomatic.

I suspect it is a combination of less test sensitivity to Omicron and lower viral loads with immunized and/or natural previous infections.

I was with a (vaxed) friend on 12-24, who later tested positive (mild symptoms). I was tested when I found out, on the 29th (drive thru PCR). I have no symptoms at all. Luckily, CDC guidelines are relaxed (for fully vaxed, like me) to where I just need to wear a mask while out in public (which I do anyway). It is now the 2nd and I still don’t have test results back. 

8 hours ago, statsman said:

I was with a (vaxed) friend on 12-24, who later tested positive (mild symptoms). I was tested when I found out, on the 29th (drive thru PCR). I have no symptoms at all. Luckily, CDC guidelines are relaxed (for fully vaxed, like me) to where I just need to wear a mask while out in public (which I do anyway). It is now the 2nd and I still don’t have test results back. 

We found out tonight we were exposed a few days ago, and we'll be doing the drive-through PCR like you did.  And the people that have it, they are friends we know from my wife's former church (which is a big-ass church), and of course they were at church this morning and were unmasked. They didn't know they had it - apparently they missed the messages/phone call/whatever means of informing them was used yesterday, because they had a shit-ton of family and friends texting/calling/emailing Happy New Years and just ignored a bunch of that stuff. I was impressed that somebody even tried to contact them about it on New Year's Day.

Anyways, when the husband called me tonight to tell us that we needed to get tested, we got to talking about other shit and we both have cedar/juniper issues (which is what he initially thought he had until his wife had issues, and she never has issues during cedar season in Austin).  He mentioned that the cedar was really bad because a lot of people at church this morning were clearly having problems, coughing, etc.

And I was just thinking about all of the stories of people testing positive for COVID who thought they had allergies, including him.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Would like to have had that smartphone app being developed that can tell a COVID cough from everything else, and just walk around with it running at a place like that church.

And I will be following the numbers this week to see if it truly is Ball Game since we are a week out from Christmas and a lot of people headed to parties Friday night, and plenty of others to Church this morning.

I do think people are following this a lot more closely than some have claimed, because the few stores we went out to this weekend in Austin, including HEB, which was open, there were a lot more people masking up versus a few weeks ago. 

But of course, fucking cedar is hitting everything hard right now.  Then again, that maybe forcing more people to get tested.

13 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

My wife, no pics, slept until 11 today, had a low grade (99.1) fever, and was tired.  She also coughed a couple of times.  She self-diagnosed herself as not having COVID, and I tend to believe her.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

My wife, no pics, slept until 11 today, had a low grade (99.1) fever, and was tired.  She also coughed a couple of times.  She self-diagnosed herself as not having COVID, and I tend to believe her.

FIFY. Also pics are not showing up for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/2/2022 at 1:13 PM, Newdoc said:

We are getting a ton of false negatives on the rapid antigen. Recommend PCR for confirmation of negative especially if exposed and symptomatic.

I suspect it is a combination of less test sensitivity to Omicron and lower viral loads with immunized and/or natural previous infections.

Well both nasal swab and throat swab pcr came back negative. I am going to assume I am ok now. 

Edited by UTGrad98
No need for specifics

We just spent 11 days in Orlando for a Disney trip, a very special Santa gift that had already been rescheduled once else we would have tried to move back again.  It was an absolute madhouse with masks only required indoors/rides, and constant ACL-like crowds of maskless people outside.  It’ll be a miracle if none of us caught it despite masks.  

Given the huge number of morbidly obese and/or old people who couldn’t handle walking and were relegated to electric scooters, I’m pretty sure some of those I saw (and were constantly trying to run me over) won’t survive an infection.  Naturally they were least likely to wear a mask.  

Fingers crossed.  Buddy and his family took rapids today (negative) and so far no one is symptomatic, but will need a few more days to be sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Homercles said:

We just spent 11 days in Orlando for a Disney trip, a very special Santa gift that had already been rescheduled once else we would have tried to move back again.  It was an absolute madhouse with masks only required indoors/rides, and constant ACL-like crowds of maskless people outside.  It’ll be a miracle if none of us caught it despite masks.  

Given the huge number of morbidly obese and/or old people who couldn’t handle walking and were relegated to electric scooters, I’m pretty sure some of those I saw (and were constantly trying to run me over) won’t survive an infection.  Naturally they were least likely to wear a mask.  

Fingers crossed.  Buddy and his family took rapids today (negative) and so far no one is symptomatic, but will need a few more days to be sure. 

My son is heading back today from a week at Disney. You probably saw that lady from the picture I posted. The boy took it last week at the Magic Kingdom, and he saw her at least twice but does not have the skills of some of our "Hot or Not" posters and did not risk a picture on day two! LOL.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m 30lbs overweight and probably worse after the holidays, so can’t talk too much smack…but managed 20k steps a day, often pushing 3 kids in a stroller, without issue.  If they’re too obese to handle that then I wish they’d just stay home.  The constant backup beepers from them was a humorous addition. 

And we managed to do Rise of the Rebellion twice, those seats are pretty tight by WDW standards and I’m not sure how some manage that.  

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

My son is heading back today from a week at Disney. You probably saw that lady from the picture I posted. The boy took it last week at the Magic Kingdom, and he saw her at least twice but does not have the skills of some of our "Hot or Not" posters and did not risk a picture on day two! LOL.

taking photos is a good way to be publicly shamed. Probably 50/50 this guy posts here.

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:19 AM, Gatorubet said:

I came down with the stuff on Wednesday.    I had a low grade fever and chills from Wednesday evening, the balance of the day on  Thursday and broke the fever Friday morning.   But as of today, I still fell the fatigue.  

I got both of my vaccines in August, and I'm still confused about the booster and the timing.   Why does waiting six months stick to mind with the booster?   

Edited by Nueces River Rat