Xavier Worthy - 2024 NFL Draft Bound

Machinator

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm. Ok. 

Anyway, glad he produced for us and wish him well. Hope that Johntay Cook and others will fill his spot rather seamlessly. Can’t coach that speed though. 
I think Cook's ball tracking and hands will make up for it, but he's not far behind X in the speed department.
  • Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Xavier Worthy - 2024 NFL Draft Bound
1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I was extremely disappointed in his effort on Blues fumble. He easily could have recovered it, but totally wussed out

Disagree.  He dove in to fight for it.  We’ll never know what impact he whistles had on his effort.  I don’t blame X at all for the other guy coming up with it.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39226273

how in the hell did he not come up with this

lol shut up

He wasn’t watching the game on TV. It takes a second to realize the ball is out from where he was. The ball was lost between the bodies of three guys. Washington players are standing around too. Gunner Helm is closer and stands there the entire time while Worthy tries to get into the pile but I don’t see you bitching about Helm.

It was loose on the ground there for a moment, I wish he had executed the recovery better, but that’s not exactly something WRs practice.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Always appreciate X because he was really the first guy that jumped on board when Sark got hired after whatever happened with his grades at Michigan. The qb room at the time consisted of Casey Thompson and Hudson Card. That was definitely a leap of faith in Sark that paid off for all  involved. Will be rooting for him in the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Sucks that he was injured going into the game and couldn't be a factor. That really screwed us but that's what happens when you only play 3 receivers any meaningful snaps all year and one is hurt in the playoffs. Sark needs to learn from that, maybe with a little more playing time Cook could have been ready to give us production in that game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I wish X all the luck in the world in the league. He grew up a ton this year, played hard, played hurt and was clearly much more of a team player than in '22 . He has special talent and can do great things when he's healthy . Loved watching him pull away from guys and also lowering his pads and running MFers over 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Feels like we heard about him as a flight risk every offseason but once the season started, he sold out for the team - taking on every hit, going as full speed as he can, playing through injuries and not bitching about them. Best of luck, X!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Sucks that he was injured going into the game and couldn't be a factor. That really screwed us but that's what happens when you only play 3 receivers any meaningful snaps all year and one is hurt in the playoffs. Sark needs to learn from that, maybe with a little more playing time Cook could have been ready to give us production in that game. 

This was a concern all season. I understand using the best receivers, obviously. But with all of them being sure or likely done or NFL-bound, you really need to get the others some serious reps... and, as you mentioned, injuries are gonna happen.

I have been critical of him at times for ball tracking and effort earlier in his career but anyone ripping him for Blue's fumble is being dumb. He jumped on it and went for it. In the stadium live at full speed it was hard to tell it was a fumble. The entire stadium either groaned or cheered when they showed the replay on the screens because almost nobody realized it had been a clear fumble. As soon as he saw the ball he dove in. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I have been critical of him at times for ball tracking and effort earlier in his career but anyone ripping him for Blue's fumble is being dumb. He jumped on it and went for it. In the stadium live at full speed it was hard to tell it was a fumble. The entire stadium either groaned or cheered when they showed the replay on the screens because almost nobody realized it had been a clear fumble. As soon as he saw the ball he dove in. 
I just watched it again, you're correct. There were already two huskies on the ground wrestling for it (one keeping Blue down) by the time he realized the ball was loose. He did make an effort, it was just too late.

I don't blame X for not making the recovery.  He dropped down almost directly on the ball once he saw it was at his feet and the two UW defenders hadn't made a clean recovery.  The problem was the third UW defender (the one who actually ended up making the recovery) was able to come in from the side.  As a result, that third defender had leverage on the ball and was able to pull it away from everyone else, including Worthy.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2024 at 5:27 PM, williemackgarza said:

I loved his punishing runs to fight for extra yards. Would suprise a ton of dudes nearly twice his size.

Definitely. One hundred and sixty-five pounds is practically tiny in this era of college football, yet Worthy would repeatedly fight through or bounce off guys for extra yards. Salty MFer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1