Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

8 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

King Richard -- $38 million box office

The Eyes of Tammy Fay -- $3 million box office

And I'm rounding up.  Irrelevant, money-losing movies that almost nobody has seen. 

Okay, sure.  But does anything make money in theaters anymore that isn't someone with a cape flying around fighting CGI cartoon bad guys?

not the best look for Rock to make fun of someone’s disease, and fairly old and bad joke since GI Jane was out 25 years ago. Still as Charlie Murphy said, you don’t slap another man. If you’re going to hit him, hit him.

Smith was wrong. I get wanting to protect your wife but attempting to slap someone and walk off is wrong.

my prediction is that Rock and Smith both apologize today and say that they’re still good friends. It gives Rock an opening joke for future Oscar gigs.

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

chris rock is as seasoned as they come at being in front a live audience, either in sketches or doing his act.

he was caught off guard and it took him a minute to find it. it was plain as day. 

there’s a long tradition of comics pushing the limit and just as long of a list of divas that can’t take it and overreact. 

only big movie stars sit front and center like that, waiting to win an award. you think denzel pulls that shit? or tom hanks or dicaprio?

rock get the w here, and it’s not that close. 

This, plus what @tchookem mentioned about how to react when someone is hurting (physical or otherwise). A squeeze of the hand and a look by my husband and we would've been good and able to enjoy his later award moment with so much more genuine appreciation. (although, I think playing a badass soldier would be pretty cool).

That being said, I've been there. Had the cancer, lost most of my crowning glory for a while; seen the stares in public, the offhand remarks and yeah, it sucked but that is what a facade is for and only my closest family ever knew if occasionally a moment stung. Family support in private made me strong in public. Which is called acting. Life goes on. Be a part of the show or take a bow.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

not the best look for Rock to make fun of someone’s disease, and fairly old and bad joke since GI Jane was out 25 years ago. Still as Charlie Murphy said, you don’t slap another man. If you’re going to hit him, hit him.

Smith was wrong. I get wanting to protect your wife but attempting to slap someone and walk off is wrong.

my prediction is that Rock and Smith both apologize today and say that they’re still good friends. It gives Rock an opening joke for future Oscar gigs.

technically, not the disease but her hairstyle. It is a different. Also, she don't have money to change her style?! And either pointed out here or on the internets, who wouldn't watch Jada in GI JANE 2? That would have been a pretty good flick!

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Don’t know if you’re married or not but let’s say the wife lost her hair because of cancer and he made that joke. Is that still ok? Or, is it about the degrees of disease a wife has that makes it a tasteless joke? Do you have any idea how devastating it is for a woman to lose her hair due to a disease?  Fuck off

Committing assault on national TV ranks dead last on the list of constructive ways to address that grievance. No one walks around carrying a journal entitled “Lessons Learned,” and certainly Chris Rock doesn’t. 

And besides, you wouldn’t do it anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Ha, the slap was so weird that i thought it was fake, guess not. Chris Rock def wins for keeping the train on the tracks.

Props to Chris for maintaining composure. Even with a slap, it can be a bit emasculating to take a hit like that in public and not respond in kind. 

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Props to Chris for maintaining composure. Even with a slap, it can be a bit emasculating to take a hit like that in public and not respond in kind. 

I dunno. That trailer clip from Gaslit has Julia Roberts (acting as Martha Mitchell) staring down Sean Penn (as John Mitchell) after he slaps her and saying, "That all you got? My mama hit me harder than that."

I have respect for a man that takes a blow with a steely eyed stare. Alas, though, I am woman and thus my perspective is different.

3 minutes ago, austingirl said:

The Academy: "We do not condone violence in any form."

The Academy 10 minutes earlier: "Here's a trophy to the guy who just hit another guy on stage!"

They can in fact condemn violence and then give Will Smith an award that was voted on multiple days and weeks before he committed an assault on live tv that evening. Should they have said sorry, you don't get your award now for a performance because you slapped Chris Rock over a tasteless joke?

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

They can in fact condone violence and then give Will Smith an award that was voted on multiple days and weeks before he committed an assault on live tv that evening. Should they have said sorry, you don't get your award now for a performance because you slapped Chris Rock over a tasteless joke?

possibly

• Hook 'Em 2

1. As someone said earlier, that was a weak ass joke. I get that he wanted to make jokes on the best actor nominees but damn, he's had a few months to prepare. GI Jane???

2. Will, quit crying so damned much. You don't know when to be a man and when to be a pussy.

3. All this shit over Jada? That's the reason for all this bullshit?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I doubt the Academy awards has someone strong enough to make the decision to not award the trophy to Smith. They also usually claim that only 1-2 people are aware of the winners so they didn't even know if Smith was going to win.

And honesty this was probably the best thing that could happen to the Oscars. No one was really hurt and they've gotten attention for an award show that gets fewer and fewer viewers each week.

If the Academy Awards were smart, they would offer co-hosting jobs to Smith and Rock today, for next year. The TV audience would triple next year.

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I have respect for a man that takes a blow with a steely eyed stare. Alas, though, I am woman and thus my perspective is different.

Yeah, I’m not a violent person and haven’t been in a fight since grade school. But testosterone can make you behave different if you get hit by another man, whether a slap or a closed-fist cold cock.

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

They can in fact condemn violence and then give Will Smith an award that was voted on multiple days and weeks before he committed an assault on live tv that evening. Should they have said sorry, you don't get your award now for a performance because you slapped Chris Rock over a tasteless joke?

I realize that the Academy had to make a difficult decision, very quickly, as to how to handle it and that proceeding with the show as scheduled was probably their way of trying to just get past it. I'm also saying that Will Smith is a grown-ass man who acted like a child and assaulted someone onstage over said tasteless joke (that Chris Rock probably didn't even write) so yeah, it would've been nice to see a more nuanced response from the Academy rather than a canned "we don't condone violence" statement, in the same tweet where they congratulate the winners. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

1. As someone said earlier, that was a weak ass joke. I get that he wanted to make jokes on the best actor nominees but damn, he's had a few months to prepare. GI Jane???

I bet Rock and his team made so many jokes about Jada cheating on Will that by the time they came up with the GI Jane joke, it seemed like the least harmful. Still there should be a way to joke about Will Smith without resorting to his wife. The joke doesn't have to be overly funny, that's not the point.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I bet Rock and his team made so many jokes about Jada cheating on Will that by the time they came up with the GI Jane joke, it seemed like the least harmful. Still there should be a way to joke about Will Smith without resorting to his wife. The joke doesn't have to be overly funny, that's not the point.

He made a joke about Javier and Penelope. He then went to Will and Jada. I think he was keeping to a theme of making jokes/acknowleding best actors and their famous wives.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

After rewatching, I’m going staged. Rocks face doesn’t even seem effected after a slap that hard from a grown man? Dudes mouth or jaw aren’t even moving seconds afterwards?

Staged by who? For what? To make Will Smith look like an insane lunatic?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

After rewatching, I’m going staged. Rocks face doesn’t even seem effected after a slap that hard from a grown man? Dudes mouth or jaw aren’t even moving seconds afterwards?

It was a slap not a punch and not one of those slaps you see in the Russian slap contests….  I’ve seen plenty people get punch in the face and not move their mouth or jaw around, cause they don’t want to act like a little bitch.  

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You Slap truthers are a strange but predictable element of our online world. 

Will Smith seems incredibly unathletic if that was his motion for hitting someone. Like, maybe Carlton actually was the best option for the buzzer beater shot based on the lack of athleticism displayed by Will here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Ricky Gervais on Netflix has a very good special where he makes fun of everything including cancer, and he explains why his jokes don’t deserve to be ridiculed. I love Gervais. Rock’s joke was a cheap shot for a quick laugh. But whatever. I’m done. My wife has cancer and lost her hair. I’m going to bed. 

Best wishes for both of you with her battle. I mean that sincerely and I understand where you are coming from. However.....My 79-year-old mother has stage 4 lung/brain cancer and doesn't have a lot of time left but her hair is the least of our concerns. I'm middle aged, overweight, short, and bald and I've taken many jokes over the years about my lack of hair but no one's throwing punches on my behalf, I just own my baldness. Nothing I can do about it. And yes, there's a difference between societal acceptance of men losing their hair vs women going bald, but jfc alopecia isn't stage 4 cancer ferfucksake. Will Smith wasn't acting on his wife's behalf, he did that because he's a huge narcissist phony who needed to make a big show of his tough guy self.

Do not compare your wife to Jada Pinkett Smith. Your wife deserves better.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

The winner of the night was Lady GaGa. The respect and kindness she showed Liza Minnelli was overwhelming. The words she leaned down and whispered just before they tossed it to the nominations - “I got you” - and the innocence of Liza’s reply, should be the story of the night. Not the Will Smith shitshow. Shame. 

Username doesn't check out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2