Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Well maybe we might leave after all. Still, there’s no chance we’re leaving before 2025 ends. UT/OU said they’ll honor the remaining contract, and no one is fronting that buyout.  So I’m technically still right for the next 4 seasons. 

There is nothing being suggested this time next year we will be playing a Big 12 schedule or we will have to wait until then.

My bet it will be like a business  relocating to a bigger workspace or location, but still paying the rent for the old one because it has sometime left on the lease.   There is more money to be made leaving the old space and just eating the cost.

10 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I think we are going to be dealing with uncommonly assholish assholes. 

It's not my call, and I figure the business guys are making the right decision, but fuck the wall-eyed SEC and all its current institutions except for maybe Vandy and it's only because I liked a couple of Vandy girls once. 

Dancing with these drooling fucks makes me do the opposite of relax.  This is going to stain my university and I hope it's worth it. 

What does this have to do with you?

fall fail GIF

10 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

The Big 12 GOR's teeth will soon be in a jar on a nightstand with South Austin's mom's.     

And we will ay: "Damn, XII didn't even get a 30 for 30 show", (What If will have to do)...

opps.png

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Translation? I don't speak Aggy. 

What ramifications on A&M's end? 

They're gonna pitch a big bitch fit, then they'll pitch another one when they feel like the first one didn't get the attention it deserved.  Then there'll be sulking.  Finally, acceptance.  Then they'll make a bunch of money from living in our shadow as it was for over a century.  And they'll resent it.  But they'll cash the checks.  And take the L's.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well maybe we might leave after all. Still, there’s no chance we’re leaving before 2025 ends. UT/OU said they’ll honor the remaining contract, and no one is fronting that buyout.  So I’m technically still right for the next 4 seasons. 

We are not suffering 3 years of big12 doom, gloom, and officiating BS. We'd go independent for 2 years before suffering this BS 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Ha from the guy pumping up aggy as being the team this year after losing by 28 to Bama last year. 

Yeah, scoring late meaningless TDs to make the score look more presentable is an aggy business patent anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Is the GOR contract public? It is rumored once 4 schools bail, then the whole thing dissolves, but haven't seen anything in term of contractual language

Its part of the bylaws now and they seem to have altered it since the last realignment.   Now as soon as you signal your intent to withdraw, you lose your vote, the percent is only of the schools who haven't withdrawn.

44 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

200.gif

who's gonna tell him?

That's the first time I've ever heard Bowlsby referred to as being a good leader. 

I always thought of him more like this:

05c0fc95e900a2ce2c0aeb969abf5cc2.jpg

Seriously, how can anyone call Bowlsby competent? All this conference has done is lose schools and hide under the table.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

fans GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

Seems like someone needs to spell out whats going on for those who are still hanging on to $9.95 media heads. 

1. Texas and OU are gone after THIS SEASON, we will not play 2022 in the Big12 
  2. Texas and OU are going to leverage the heck out of the current turmoil, intended or not, and blow up the Big12 to get out of the GOR 
  3. Texas and OU will take this shit to court, drag it out, and at worst case will settle and amortize this across several years to minimize the impact. This is after whatever ESPN throws us to roll LHN into the SECN 

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

tenor.gif?itemid=21082961

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Richard Kimball said:

That's the first time I've ever heard Bowlsby referred to as being a good leader. 

Seriously, how can anyone call Bowlsby competent? All this conference has done is lose schools and hide under the table.

You're boiling my fish.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Richard Kimball said:

The Big 12 is a great conference with many, many great teams.

We will have many, many great options to explore with Texas and OU leaving. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

This is not just UT and OU's timeline anymore. You guys aren't thinking properly if you think the SEC is okay with waiting until 2025. The SEC wants us next year or 2023 at the absolute latest or else I doubt they'd be willing to even engage in the process. Speculation and turmoil is bad for business. This will get done quickly.

• Hook 'Em 6

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The people here actually thinking that us fulfilling our GOR to 2025 in the statement is anything other than something they have to say for legal purposes are idiots. It's being said by Brian Davis on the radio, I didn't think anything else was necessary to illustrate how stupid the concept is...we're not staying until 2025. We just can't say that now. Jesus. 

They're the people who haven't ever had to deal with legal issues in a business situation before.  Anyone that has, knows that every single word is scrutinized to ensure protection from lawsuits not to be honest or reflect your actual intentions.

It sucks, but that's the world we live in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You are not alone. I didn't even pause to wonder what in the fuck the football over the mountains/Uncle Rico references were that kept popping up in conjunction with Real Genius. This thread moves too fast. Had I not read your post, it might have never clicked. 

There is an exact sequence of steps that they're following, for sure, and it's been printed, laminated, rehearsed, and rehearsed again with the lawyers watching. Whatever is happening now, it's for sure orchestrated and the goal has to be finality in a rapid fashion. Then they sit back and wait for the other schools to flee and dissolve the conference, or at least the GOR. 

The AAS and Chip Brown are simply useful idiots. They'll repeat whatever they're told without any critical analysis. Same shit with the UM/Herman firing/Sarkisian hiring saga. 

To what end? If they further than 16, there's a case to be made that they're forming the NFL Junior League. They're then truly watering down their identity, which they value, and exposing themselves to legitimate risk of a new power center emerging. Add Texas and OU and you've got 14 against 2 if either school shows it ass any time soon. Add FSU, Clemson, Miami, and North Carolina and suddenly you've got 14-6 at best. Things start getting dicey from a control perspective from there. 

What would that get the org? They're now solidly in a spot to command 4 spots annually in the CFP without any sort of legal trappings or brand damage. Start fucking with stable conferences and cherry-picking programs already viewed as part of another group of equals and that's chaos that becomes difficult to control.

Yeah- I don't get the idea of expansion beyond 16 either (probably don't get it b/c it's a stupid idea).  I mean- if you want to kick out SC, Vandy, Mizzou and Kentucky or something like that to add those 4, sure, why not?  Other than you won't have the votes of course to do it, but yeah- if you wanted to get the best 16 schools possible in your region then sure (not that any of those schools would eventually like coming over and going 1-8 or something like that occasionally.  

But, anything more than 16 (I see the arguments for 20 but that's just 10 v 10 with a CCG) and it becomes so unwieldy that it doesn't make sense and it risks destabalizing an environment that you (the SEC) are set up to own forever.

This version of the SEC will always and forever shit all over the Pac 10, ACC, and it should be a bigger earner and bigger player than the Big 10.  At worst you might have some time in the future where the Big 10 gets to relative parity (I doubt it but it could happen). 

Consider a world where the SEC pulls the Jenga tower down by adding FSU, Miami, Clemson and NC.  Then what happens?  

You destroy the value of the brands you are adding b/c you make sure that at least of a couple of them likely become bottom feeders.  You induce everyone else in the world to band together as a counter balance.  Are we sure that the counterbalance can't catch up?

You are essentially looking at (Brand A):  Bama, UT, OU, Fl, GA, LSU, aTm, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, TN as being the brands that would matter.  And what's TN brand worth when they aren't winning?  Doesn't seem like much since Manning used up his eligibility. 

Compare that to a counter balance league with (Brand B):  ND, OSU, MI, USC, Oregon, Washington, Neb, Penn State, Iowa, Kansas, UCLA and Oklahoma State or Arizona State or Arizona or something like that.  Are we really sure that it's inevitable that Brand A will always be a bigger deal than Brand B? 

Current status of power would be Brand A.  But, there are more TV sets, more money, and more media love in Brand B. I think the passion advantage would make brand A the superior brand, but those are things I think vs things I know.  The thing I know is that the SEC being at those 16 teams could be the World power like the US is, with regional hegemons in the West, plains states and rust belt. If they collapse the jenga tower it's not like they will be the sole super power in the landscape- there will be a group that rises up to challenge them (I think). Unless you could add ND, MI, Ohio State and USC and Oregon, then it's NFC v AFC with 40 ish schools instead of anything that it looks like right now.  But, how would the SEC benefit by that institutionally?  I don't know that they would.

TL/DR- SEC expansion to 16 teams is a trump card that makes them lots of money and cements first in the country status forever. SEC destabalizing shit leads to an uncertain future that might be bad for them- and probably no more money or control.    

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Big 12 is a great conference with many, many great teams.

We will have many, many great options to explore with Texas and OU leaving. 

Then, they list the options, which only serves to prove why Texas's and OU's decision to leave is the right one.  Of course, it's been this way for years.  But every time I've heard it said that we should add schools such as Houston, Cincinnati, UCF or Memphis, I nod off.

Edited by dcbc

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

ATM then went the next mile in which no one predicted, which was to threaten to leave or sue the conference. That apexed on Friday night. On Saturday morning, they were told to get right or get fucked, their choice, but the conference needed to know by Sunday. 

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this around the time that it was reported that OkSt "prefers the SEC." Kind of a no shit sherlock statement, but with context makes more sense.

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

Sirius 84 had two aggy guys (AD and some rivals guy) talking down on UT this morning while I was driving to work, but McMurphy was up next. Hopefully he provided some counter-points to that dumbass aggy drivel. 

I was doing a lot of driving this past weekend.  They had Mike Farrell who as usual said this was terrific for ou, puzzling for UT and basically said UT will be the 4th/5th best team in the West.  Chris Childers debated that thinking and at the end Mike sounded like his typical self, an idiot.

There was a show with Barrett Sallee and Gabe Ikard (Bama/ou grad) and they too were shitting on UT basically just saying if they couldn't get back in the Big 12, you will now be TN/Ark of the SEC.

35 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Still all about Texas, as if OU isn’t involved.

Texas is the one with a history of looking out for associates. As is the nature of the world, UT is punished for this when they act in their own interests as most other institutions do. Hell, we propped up A&M and included them in our plans to move for decades. They hate us.

Do a person a favor more than once, and they come to expect it forever. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Well, he did oversee the "vetting" of potential Big 12 expansion candidates. Other than that, I've got nothin'.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Would be funny to play the SI trump card and watch Texas Tech bitch about it.  When it was SI that allowed them to avoid the future portion of Mike Leach's guaranteed contract.  And they heavily litigated the issue to the court of appeals.

If we avoid the GOT buyout on SI grounds and Baylor can’t get a Power Conference spot because they’re too toxic, that will be some seriously delicious Karma. 

50 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Came to ask about his whereabouts…

He’s probably busy watching missionary sex with his wife.  

FIFY

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

E7O4aYyWQAsOCjV?format=jpg&name=small

What ramifications is he even trying to reference here? A&M is just a fledgling program along for the ride. They have no say, unless he’s talking about internal firings or something like that. 

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

So perma ban if UT/OU are in the SEC in the next two years, right? 

6 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

While it's true that academically UT is closer to Michigan, Illinois, etc, there's no rule saying researchers can't collaborate outside their own athletic conference. The parallels people try to draw are really dumb.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

What ramifications is he even trying to reference here? A&M is just a fledgling program along for the ride. They have no say, unless he’s talking about internal firings or something like that. 

I think he's referring to possible sanctions on aggy by the SEC for leaking the story?

5 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

This guy Adam seems like a bitch. In one tweet he's saying "see Nebraska was right about Texas". Then in the next he's saying Texas is a better fit for the Big 10. All the while ignoring in the typical Big 10 douchebag trope that Texas only cares about unequal revenue sharing. Yet, we're going to a conference with equal revenue sharing. The stupid is amazing. Everyone hates us yet everyone wanted us in their conference even though we supposedly suck as conference mates. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

You do realize that Bowlsby wasn't hired as Commissioner until after A&M left, right?  

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To what end? If they further than 16, there's a case to be made that they're forming the NFL Junior League. They're then truly watering down their identity, which they value, and exposing themselves to legitimate risk of a new power center emerging. Add Texas and OU and you've got 14 against 2 if either school shows it ass any time soon. Add FSU, Clemson, Miami, and North Carolina and suddenly you've got 14-6 at best. Things start getting dicey from a control perspective from there. 

What would that get the org? They're now solidly in a spot to command 4 spots annually in the CFP without any sort of legal trappings or brand damage. Start fucking with stable conferences and cherry-picking programs already viewed as part of another group of equals and that's chaos that becomes difficult to control.

My feeling is the bold would be the goal in a sense.  Add FSU, Clemson, NC, and another and the SEC is basically Tier 1 CFB.  The NIL money and brand prestige would be enormous and most major recruits would flock there.  Every other conference would be tier 2 CFB over time.  To prevent this the B1G would either need merge with the PAC or raid the PAC and ACC to form another Tier 1 Super Conference.  

Think of it like the proposed European Super League (soccer) where the most valuable brands got together and determined they didn't want to share any of the revenue or recruiting advantages with smaller clubs.  It didn't succeed because the founders didn't understand the public well enough.  The American public could equally hate the idea of CFB being basically the top 40-50 largest brands as well.  If not, I could see a scenario where CFB is two mega conferences and anyone not in them are similar to FBS schools today.  

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'm not sure if he's just trolling now, but it's certainly not funny so it'd be nice if he knocks it off.

I don’t have many posts on this thread, and I was done with it until you mentioned me out of the blue last night on here, so I came to defend my position. If that counts as “trolling” so be it. I don’t see this going as smoothly or easily as everyone else does, and would not be shocked to see UT trapped in the Big 12 for the next 4 years, or at least 3. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 7